homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yuk Smudgie - that doesn't sound good, and I have a lot of sympathy about the struggling to fill in forms around preparation.

Sandemaniac, the bit I enjoy is teaching and creating resources. I really don't enjoy quality control of other people's work and sorting out the mess they make of it, plus then pussy-footing around their feelings when I have to tell them yet again that the stuff is wrong and needs redoing.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Millions of hugs!!

I have an interview Tuesday for the job change I was referring to. PLEASE pray for me!!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Sandemaniac, the bit I enjoy is teaching and creating resources.

....and I could probably handle teaching if it wasn't for the kids, the parents, the politicians, the hours...

Best of British, Chastmastr, everything is crossed for you!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck CM! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, Well, six hours of career coaching later, and I'm still not sure that I'm any further on than I was before - except that the coach knows a lot more about me than they did before.

Anyone any bright ideas about how I can take my skills out of the lab and apply them to something real instead of the soul-eating pit that is research? I'd ask on the shiply scientists thread if it hadn't long since died... wonders, would the All Saints hosts tolerate another one, especially as my interest in it is jobhunting?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... wonders, would the All Saints hosts tolerate another one, especially as my interest in it is jobhunting?

AG

I think so, providing it doesn't meander too much.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thanks, Wodders, I'll put my mind to coming up with an appropriate OP.

AG

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are your skills transferable out of science?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I wish I knew! Apparently science gives you lots of the things - eg here, you'll have to scroll down a bit but even if I do I haven't a clue what to transfer them to.

AG

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Usually it is helpful to do an assessment of your soft skills. For example, I have an MA in history and went ABD on my doctorate as well as having a B.Ed. With this combination of degrees I have spent the last 20 years working in university student services. I was hired and retained on the basis of my soft-skills ex. attention to detail, writing skills, oral communication skills, critical thinking etc.
These are all soft-skills that I developed in my degrees but are not exactly the content of my degrees.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Is there any way of tying them in to specific roles, or is that a case of wangling it according to the job ad? I'm kind of reaching the point where I'm thinking if I can't get a similar salary to do something close to what I am, I might just say "Fuck it!" and find something good for the soul instead. I know at least one brewer...

AG

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

You should tie them to roles you have fulfilled before and the skills being requested in the job ads.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My interview went well, but I won't know anything till at least next week, so please keep praying!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac, is there anyway you could build up a portfolio of different earning roles? I've begun to explore this, and while each of the items in my portfolio at the moment doesn't bring vast sums in it is beginning to add up slowly.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I'll think about an answer later, daisydaisy, as I'm about to dash, but ever get the feeling LinkedIn is taking the piss out of you? It's just suggested I congratulate one of my contacts for getting a a new job - on the checkout at Waitrose!

AG

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh well, I have been rejected by both jobs I applied for but a friend with more experience of job-hunting has tweaked my CV for me. If I had some idea of what I wanted to do (beyond earn money), it would help...

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much to my relief, I've gotten a job offer today. I still have an interview with a second company tomorrow although I will probably have to decide if I take the first job before I can finish with the second company.

Once more into the breach...

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac

Linked-in hasn't been very helpful. I paid for a subscription so I could track salaries and I get this incredibly annoying newsletter from them full of depressed people complaining about not finding jobs.

Would any of your lab work be helpful in a Brewery? Do they have chemists or are the small ones mostly craft based?

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Several points to respond to, I'll try to take them in order...

The problem with doing lots of other things to raise money is what (see also my general career problem!)? I'm not qualified to do anything else, and I don't have hobbies that could easily be transformed into earners - gardening takes a lot more time when you have to, and perhaps I could do a bit of local/family history for people on a contract basis, but you need to be able to deliver the results, and my expertise is well behind the times, and mostly in a county that's two hours away. Maybe minimum wags sh*t shovelling...

Joanna P, you have my sympathy! I wish I could offer helpful suggestions but, as you've probably spotted, I'm in the same boat.

Bravo Palimpsest, hope one of them turns out what you want/need. I have to confess that I've not found LinkedIn hugely helpful either - it's better than it was when it was spam central, but there's so much extraneous junk on it. Plus I've yet to make a contact that's actually helped me get a job via it. I have to say that I think it's highly overrated (though closed groups can be good if you need a blart).

As for the brewing... Well, it's mostly following process, so it probably would, and I'd be far more interested in the craft side anyway than the industrial scale stuff. The biggest brewery for miles is Hook Norton, whose lab consists of broom cupboard with half a dozen bottles in. Mind you, once the clocks change I will be spending much more time in the University Club, where a local brewer hangs out - I wonder if he knows anyone who'd take me on for a few days experience? Happy to wield a shovel for a few days, and if I can do it on annual leave...

Wildly out of order, good luck to Chastmastr, and thanks, Caissa. Of course, I have to find the job to point them at first...

Incidentally, cracking example of a badly written job ad in my daily email from New Scientist jobs - the tasks and the requirements don't match up, the tautologous "highly ESSENTIAL" requirement is third on the list, it's all a mucking fuddle.

AG

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another online application - more guesswork. I had to fill in the exact date I became a member of a professional body - well, I know it was 1988, but that's not good enough. So I've put 1 Aug, but that's an entirely random date. I have bugger all idea when in 1988 I joined.

Online forms - I hates them. I especially hates them when they underline that I am old, and that the other people filling them in will be able to remember such details because for them it was less than 27 years ago.

Bah, humbug.

Fortunately this one only wants to know which school subjects I passed in 1980 / 1981 / 1982 - it doesn't ask for actual grades, so I'm not filling in a random assortment of As and Bs, with no clue as to accuracy. I know I got Cs in Art and Chemistry, but the rest? I know that they were all As or Bs, but which?

There's only one requirement for this job, and I haven't got it, so is there even any point in applying? I have no idea.

Bah, humbug.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a trial day at a school tomorrow.
It's a bit too far of a drive, and it's definitely a role which is out of my comfort zone - as part of the trial day I have to deliver a 20 minute lesson to eight teeny-tinies with profound and multiple learning difficulties. I don't even know whether what I have prepared is half way appropriate for them.
Needless to say, I am incredibly nervous.
I won't know whether I want it or not until I get there. It's only short term, in the first instance, and daily pay with nothing through the school holidays. But then, I can't keep turning things down just because they're not perfect when I've got the rent to pay.
Please think of me tomorrow. I need all the positive vibes and prayers I can get.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope it all goes well, Smudgie!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope it goes well, Smudgie. Will be praying.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for tomorrow Smudgie. Hope it's a good thing for the time being, until something brilliant closer to home turns up.
Prayers for all other job seekers too.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

[Votive] smudgie. And good luck, NEQ.

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Smudgie - hope it goes well.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen to all that.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best of love and many prayers for you, Smudgie. I bet all the kiddies will love you, even if just for twenty minutes. Do they have any say in the hiring process? [Smile]

[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a short sojourn on the jobhunting thread [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ... though I may well be rejoining in July, depending on whether the teacher I'm covering comes back from sick leave or resigns.
I am going to need to be really disciplined with my pay seeing as it's daily pay and nothing during the holidays.
Lots of prayers and good wishes for the rest of you in your job hunting.

[ 23. March 2015, 16:26: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's good news Smudgie [Smile] . It gives you a bit of time to see if ther is anything out there next term that you fancy more.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well done, Smudgie! (goes off and quietly turns green in a corner).

I had a very odd phone call at about 5.15. It was a chap from an agency that I couldn't quite make out the name of*, and was trying to find someone to fill a Stores Manager position... but it couldn't be someone from Well Known Dark Blue University! So why ask me, who still works for WKDBU? Why find me - turns out he was trying things with Google, I'd got manager and stores on my CV, and it turns out to be a company specialising in property management roles.

Hmm, do I bother answering his connection request on LinkedIn, I wonder? Still, I suppose it does prove that someone occasionally finds my CV online...

AG

*luckily I didn't ask the chap's surname - he may well be of Nigerian descent, so I'd never have been able to spell it.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

*Beware - inchoate sweary rant*

Having spent some time trundling round the job ads (and indulging in displacement activities) this evening, once again I really do wonder why the fuck I bother. There's a few more-of-the-same jobs in the university, a few jobs outside that seem to want people with one or two years experience (at least five of which must be industry), and absolutely fuck all in between. I guess I have to wave my CV at a few to see if I can get any bites, but the frustration of even trying to work out what is worthwhile trying for just does my head in.

To rub it in, the Knotweed's sister-in-law finished one job on Friday and started another today, having had three offers.

Oh, and there's the entirely bizarre approach related above.

How the fuck do I break the ever-decreasing circle?

AG

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I've said elsewhere, I've found a new job starting in May. Thank your for your prayers and support.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Smudgie and LeRoc - congratulations! [Yipee]

Sandemaniac - [Votive] continuing.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Smudgie - that's brilliant news. What about marking over the summer to bridge the gap a bit? The exam boards are advertising now (I keep getting the adverts sent to me). (And ticket offers are still open if you're available.)

Sandemaniac, one of the PhD's I knew at uni went on to an assistant brewer role at one of the small but well known breweries in Henley, but I can't find him doing a search. His PhD was in fungi - always had a good supply of mushrooms. (I can't find him, but I can find that he married his girlfriend, who was on my course, and his eldest daughter went on to study Chemistry at the same uni ...).

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Sandemaniac, one of the PhD's I knew at uni went on to an assistant brewer role at one of the small but well known breweries in Henley, but I can't find him doing a search.

Pity, he'd have been a useful contact to make. More use than someone recruiting property managers, anyway!

What worried me is that my previous efforts at change have all proven worthless (careerwise, at least), if this one goes nowhere I have nowt on the table.

Oh, and departmental admin have fallen even further in my opinion. Been wondering why I hadn't got the pensions scheme letter everyone else had. Turns out it was delivered to admin, who decided I didn't work for them, and sent it on to another department. FFS! Mind you, I'd probably be worse, because when I don't care it really, really shows in what I'm doing.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well now, here's a surprise. Despite being told

"The Career Day is aimed at anyone with a research background, so that includes students, technicians, RAs and postdocs."

the departmental Career Day turns out to be a bunch of academics (and one mug teacher) talking.

What a load of bullshit. I really wonder how come academia has yet to disappear up its own arse.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, after all that carping, I have finally got my arse in gear and actually applied for a job. It's in a local biotech where I have a contact who has promised he'll push my CV forwards if I send it in (good bloke, also once sorted out my grip on a cricket bat - anyone who helps me get a grip...)

Wish me luck, I need it...

Adrian

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... Wish me luck, I need it...

(Sorry for shouting, but):

GOOD LUCK SANDEMANIAC! [Smile] [Votive] [Smile]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Sandemaniac!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good good luck!!
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Good luck, Sandemaniac

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Good luck, Sandemaniac..... we're behind you all the way.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

If only to get me off this thread, and stop me making the place so messy! [Razz]

No, really, I do appreciate the wishes. Thank you all. [Tear]

AG

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Hope it goes well.
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't get a job for which I was I terviewed. I realise I am in the fortunate position of having one already, but I'd like a change...of location if not of actual job.
I suspect it is ian inbuilt character flaw that keeps stuffing me. Sod.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that Rosa Galica Officianalis has been appointed Vicar it is my turn to look for a job.
I am an architectural technician and I have been with my current employer for 22 years, and I need a change. I have CVs out to everyone within 20 miles of Welshpool (near where we will be) and I have managed to secure an informal chat with a Landscape Practice who use Vectorworks (my favoured type of CAD) next Monday. So thoughts and/or prayers would be gratefully received.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

I start a new job Monday!
After bouncing around for a few months, I had a set of interviews with a very small nice company. After that, I went to an open house for a rapidly growing company that had taken my resume and not gotten back to me twice. I got a job offer from the small company the day before the phone interview for the large company and had to tell them that I wouldn't be able to wait around for weeks as I had in the past.

As a friend said, once they know another girl is interested they all want you. The recruiter emailed me on Monday, I did a 6 hour interview loop Tuesday, they told me they'd make an offer Wednesday and I got it Thursday. It has some rich and famous contract bonuses (fine print:if the stock continues to do well)

So I took the large company offer for crass cash reasons. I did reject the other company very nicely, so I might be about to go back there. Now I have to once more face the stress of the daily grind. It's a lot harder with a bad hip. But we shall see. If nothing else, my post count here should diminish.

Good look to all the others here who are plugging away at it!

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well done, Palimpsest! About time we had some good news around here!

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations Palimpsest, and all the best. [Yipee]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016