homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » At the cabbage patch (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: At the cabbage patch
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
**bump** to avoid hostly hoover.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to be Great Aunt Dormouse for the second time at the end of October! I met great-neice for the first time over the summer. For a baby she was quite sweet. But I don't, if I'm honest, have much affection for babies. I prefer them from about 5 onwards. Until about 10. Only a short window really!!! [Biased]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love babies as long as they're other people's, which they always are. [Big Grin]

We acquired a new great-nephew in the summer, and I can't wait to go over the Pond to meet him in November. I'd have preferred to be able to see him when he was tiny (we met his big sister when she was just a few weeks old) but our plans didn't quite work out this time. He'll still be quite little though, and beginning to develop his own wee personality. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a stupid, soppy phone call from Mrs Sioni this afternoon. She sounded like a kid who has been asked out for a first date, which I suppose is right, because the mother and father of our first grandchild "wondered if we would do them a huge favour on October 4th and look after the baby all day".

This is a radical redefinition of the term "favour". We pick up the boy at about 8:30am, and his parents get back (from some American Football match in London) just before midnight. I expect we will be out on our feet by then while the boy will be bouncing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You'll be just fine. Enjoy yourselves.

I left my mother minding my three, including a six week old boy. Just for an evening. Left everything I thought she might need. We returned about midnight. All were fine, including baby, as long as mum jiggled pram constantly with her foot. If she missed a beat, he cried.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh we will. Mrs S has the day planned, from the very moment we pick him up, and has alternative itineraries for fine/wet/typically Welsh weather, allowing for varying mood of child. We expect his Wacky Aunt to put in an appearance too.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wacky Aunts are mandatory - Uncles, of course, are all perfectly sensible!

[Killing me]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Of course they are, Uncle Wodders. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never got to look after my nephew because he lived in another town, but I did my best to be a wacky Aunt.

Now he's in his twenties and we stillhave a good relationship.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Of course they are, Uncle Wodders. [Big Grin]

In India, Uncle is used as an honorific - so that should be Wodders Uncle, or just Uncle. Actually, referring to another thread in which we are discussing first name usuage, this is one situation in which I am fairly comfortable with young people using my given name.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Oh we will. Mrs S has the day planned, from the very moment we pick him up, and has alternative itineraries for fine/wet/typically Welsh weather, allowing for varying mood of child. We expect his Wacky Aunt to put in an appearance too.

Bother, it's off. Never mind, we have our grandson for tomorrow morning, so we'll show him off at church!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bump

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
bump

Most appropriate for this particular thread [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My bump was completely unintended. [Biased]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I thought much the same. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

There's a lot of it about. In addition to our first grandchild (born August 21st) our second is due c 16th January (different parents, duh!) and we have just heard that two of my nieces are expecting babies in the summer (one already has a two year old boy).

Mrs Sioni also has three great-great nieces and one to follow. It isn't that we're especially old but some of her family are older than us, started having children young and this has continued through the generations.

If anyone is worried about who will be working to provide the tax revenues for their old age be assured that we are doing our bit.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a completely unintended bump - my mum used to say that I was unexpected but I've never quite believed that!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

She must have expected you for at least a wee while ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, she always also said that I started being difficult in the womb - something I find hard to understand as I always thought I was perpetual sweetness and light.

[Angel]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

But of course you are dear ... [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Intrepid grandchild has landed! It's a boy and mother and baby are doing well, that's all I know! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Mrs. S, sleep-deprived but delighted

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Welcome to the Intrepid Baby and congratulations to his parents - and the Intrepid Grandmother too!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Great news Mrs S!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Mrs S!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Yay!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Mrs S

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, Intrepid Grandma and welcome to planet Earth, Intrepid Baby! [Yipee]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woo Hoo, Intrepid Baby. [Yipee]

Congratulations Grandma. I chose not to have children, but I wouldn't mind being a grandma,

Huia - contrary to the death.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all so much!

The Intrepid Baby, who has been known as Stevie (as a non-gender-specific bump!) was born on the Feast of Stephen weighing 8 pounds 2 and a half ounces, and is absolutely beautiful - we haven't seen him yet as there were Unspecified Difficulties [Eek!] in the later stages of the delivery) but we have seen a photo and hope to see him and his intrepid parents later today.

Mrs. S, who shall henceforth be known as Grandma Susie [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Lovely news as I said elsewhere. Just as well I took Ship's Grandma some years ago. I now have another two grandchildren, offspring of son's fiancée.

[ 27. December 2015, 07:53: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful news for the Intrepid Household, congratulations to you all. [Yipee] I hope the Intrepid Mother is OK after the difficulties. [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

the Intrepid Mother is fine - it turns out it was a forceps delivery [Eek!] . We went up to visit them in hospital this afternoon with the Dowager (aka Intrepid Great-Grand Mama!) and although the traffic was horrible it was well worth it to see the little family. He will be Sebastian James, and we are all relieved that it wasn't Reuben, the other possibility [Two face]

We went round to see the Dowager's next-door neighbours this morning and when they answered the door I said 'We bring you good tidings of great joy. To us yesterday was born a grandson' and that was as far as I got!

Mrs. S, delighted with the new addition to the family! [Axe murder]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news Mrs S. Hope the new family are home soon. Lovely name btw.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... The Intrepid Baby ... was born on the Feast of Stephen ...

It could have been much worse - they might have called him Wenceslas ... [Devil]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
the Intrepid Mother is fine - it turns out it was a forceps delivery [Eek!]

[Eek!] My sympathies. I've had one of those and was very far from being intrepid about it.

Great names as well! He'll bring great joy to your whole family, I know. [Axe murder]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to the whole Intrepid family, what lovely news! (although, maybe I'm being thick but what is wrong with the name Reuben? It's not a name in our family so I'm not offended, just curious!)

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to the Intrepid family!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Congratulations to the whole Intrepid family, what lovely news! (although, maybe I'm being thick but what is wrong with the name Reuben? It's not a name in our family so I'm not offended, just curious!)

Taunting nickname - Rube

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Or Ruby! It just doesn't appeal, somehow. I put the kibosh on Nathan, also, as the nephew of one of my dear friends is called Nathan and is in the nick (at 16 [Eek!] ) for attempted murder, or GBH, or something undesirable anyway, and I just couldn't handle the associations [Ultra confused]

All home safely and Sebastian is still gorgeous ;o) [Angel]

The Doting Mrs. S

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Shrew and I are expecting, due at the end of July. Currently baby is referred to as" the Balrog " ( I have been suffering from truly horrible pregnancy sickness- thought have managed not to set fire to any of the well meaning individuals who have suggested that ginger biscuits might work better than two separate kinds of prescribed medicines at helping me keep food and fluids in situ)

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Shrew, what lovely news! I hope that the urge to chunder disappears soon and you can enjoy at least some of your pregnancy! [Yipee]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Congratulations and I echo Jack's wishes for you to feel better quickly.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations and best wishes to the Shrews.

[ 15. January 2016, 21:02: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations to the Shrews, and I hope you feel better soon. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Best wishes from here, too.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Mrs Shrew. I was morning sick for 6 months, so have a lot of sympathy and there was someone in my prenatal exercise class who was really ill with it. It's not much fun.

Congratulations to the Intrepid family. Apologies for being so slow.

A Boxing Day birthday isn't much fun, particularly as a child. Lots of groaning adults and left over Christmas food, because no-one wants to cook something special for that birthday or party again on Boxing Day. The other wrinkle is that Christmas born children theoretically get "bigger presents" across the two days, but if they have siblings comparison just shows that this ain't necessarily so.

(I spent my birthdays as a child sitting on the bank of a sailing club as my parents went sailing to work off some of their overindulgence over Christmas. Nobody wanted birthday cake and no, I really didn't want turkey curry followed by left over mince pies and Stilton for my birthday meal.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daugher reports that she is expecting! It is a boy and is due in late June. This will be my first grand! I can't think what to do yet. Perhaps I should knit a very elaborate baby hat.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

It's raining babies. After our first grandchildren in the last six months two of my nieces are expecting in the summer!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
It's raining babies...

Our church is having a baby boom of grandchildren. Maybe it's global warming or something.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A couple of years ago, the whole island of Newfoundland had a power cut that lasted a whole weekend. According to a report on Facebook, the local hospital had to open an extension to the maternity ward nine months later ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016