homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » At the cabbage patch (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: At the cabbage patch
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
It's raining babies...

Our church is having a baby boom of grandchildren. Maybe it's global warming or something.
Must be something in the water, as the saying goes.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Congratulations to the Intrepid family. Apologies for being so slow.

A Boxing Day birthday isn't much fun, particularly as a child. Lots of groaning adults and left over Christmas food, because no-one wants to cook something special for that birthday or party again on Boxing Day. The other wrinkle is that Christmas born children theoretically get "bigger presents" across the two days, but if they have siblings comparison just shows that this ain't necessarily so.

(I spent my birthdays as a child sitting on the bank of a sailing club as my parents went sailing to work off some of their overindulgence over Christmas. Nobody wanted birthday cake and no, I really didn't want turkey curry followed by left over mince pies and Stilton for my birthday meal.)

Thank you CK, and no indeed - I think the plan is to have a half-birthday in June!

TFMissS is now paying for her remarkably easy pregnancy by having a baby who - like her, and me - doesn't like milk. He falls asleep during his feed, they wind him and put him in his cot. 30 minutes later - I'm hungry, where's my next meal? Or, alternatively, he cries and cries, pulling his little knees up and giving them sad, blue-lipped, windy smiles [Waterworks]

Mrs. S, sympathetic - we've all been there.

PS and congratulations, Brenda!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Thank you CK, and no indeed - I think the plan is to have a half-birthday in June!

My best friend when I was a young child had been born on December 25. Her family basically ignored her December birthday and celebrated it on June 25. They had a large backyard, the weather was usually nice, school had just gotten out -- it was a great time for a party.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half birthdays are a well-known phenomenon around here too, sadly subsumed under clergy Petertide ordinations for the last 10 years. Significant birthdays celebrated on a half birthday are a bit odd too.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Younger grandson, B, was two months old on Wednesday. He was 6lb 6oz at birth, went down to 6lb but is now 13ib 1oz!

I know smaller babies gain a bit faster, and breast-fed babies too, but little B is piling it on and apart from that time in the early evening, when most pre-teen's (and possibly most people, period) get awkward, he's a happy boy, as is our first grandson, S.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's ten weeks to go, here at Chez Shrew. I finish work for maternity leave next Friday, but have been off all week with some kind of virus that has left me totally wiped out and exhausted- no energy to do anything at all.
Blood tests have shown that in addition to the virus I have low iron levels. Can anyone offer helpful things I can eat to increase iron levels ( at the moment they don't want to put me on supplements), and/or encouragement that I will get some energy back between now and baby's arrival?

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you taking spatone? Recommended by midwives around here as a way of improving iron without the consequences ... Ahem... of prescribed iron.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a list of iron-rich foods.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
... Can anyone offer helpful things I can eat to increase iron levels ...?

I'm not a dietician or doctor, but the most appealing iron-rich food I can think of would be a nice juicy steak, served with eggs (for brunch), a spinach salad with strawberries and nuts or stir-fried broccoli.

Hope you feel better soon. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wholewheat Toast and Marmite™!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all- will try the foods and ask midwife about spatone when I see her next week

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Make sure you are getting plenty of vitamin C as well as your body needs it to absorb iron.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Wholewheat Toast and Marmite™!

She wants to feel better ... [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raisins for iron. That's what the Red Cross puts me on when I m too low to donate. Also any tomato based soup, sauce or stew cooked in an iron pot.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Shrew, this isn't a serious suggestion (as Piglet said you want to feel better) but when my Grandma had low iron levels, around 80+ years ago she had to eat raw liver sandwiches. Just the thought of them makes me want to [Projectile]

Fortunately some of the other suggestions sound more palatable.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother also ate liver for iron, but she cooked it. The house stank for hours (my sister and I would go outside and play when possible), but our dog thought it was the greatest smell ever.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ate (cooked) liver at least once a week through pregnancy to try and keep my iron levels up - and when I've been anaemic at other times. There are ways of making it edible - variations of devils on horseback, little chunks wrapped in bacon and grilled on a skewer - alternating with prunes so it's not all liver, served with rice and salad isn't too much liver. Also calves liver with sage. I'd much rather eat spinach, but we're better at absorbing iron from animal sources. Definitely eat/drink something high in vitamin C to help your body absorb the iron whether it's dietary iron or tablets. Tea and coffee reduce absorption

(I have been badly anaemic a few times and have been lectured on how to make sure I get enough in my diet - then put on iron tablets. I had two years or more of the iron tablets last time.)

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Do chicken livers work if you turn them into a pâté?

This recipe from the blessèd Delia is a breeze to make if you've got a food processor, and delicious on toast or crackers.

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

Very pleased to say that baby Arthur joined us on Saturday morning at 1.43.

He is a wee slip of a thing, at 3.5kg (a week and a half overdue), and seems healthy and happy so far.

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Youngest daughter had cancer six years ago and was told that as a result of the treatment it was highly unlikely she would ever conceive.
She and her lovely partner married last October with him saying "I'd love to have children but regardless of that it's you I want to spend my life with......"

They have just gone public with the news that they are expecting a baby in January. I remember holding her as she wept when the consultant told her there wasn't time to wait to harvest any eggs from her to save towards the future as her cancer was quite advanced and they needed to start treatment straightaway.
So this news comes as a complete surprise- they are stunned but thrilled as are we.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations on the arrival of Arthur, Mrs Shrew, great name.
Mrs Beaky, what exciting and lovely news for your daughter and her husband.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to the Shrew family! Welcome to Arthur.

And congratulations to the Beaky family. That's fantastic news for you all.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Congratulations Mrs Shrew - hope you recovered enough from the tiredness before his birth.

What wonderful news Mrs Beaky.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really great news, Mrs Beaky. Best wishes from us to all.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spatone was enough to raise my daughter's iron to very acceptable levels
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
Very pleased to say that baby Arthur joined us on Saturday morning at 1.43.

Congratulations.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So thrilled for everyone rejoicing here - especially Mrs Beaky and Mrs Shrew [Angel]

The Intrepid Grandson, as foretold, is a different child now he's weaned and scoffing solid food as fast as he can - very happy and pleased with himself [Yipee]

The Doting Mrs S

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the world Arthur. [Yipee]

Mrs Beaky, such good news lights up even a horrible winter day at this end of the world. [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations to the Shrews and welcome Arthur! [Yipee]

Mrs. Beaky, that's wonderful news - [Votive] for your daughter to have a happy, healthy pregnancy. [Smile]

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everyone and many congratulations to all of you who are celebrating good news too!
[Yipee]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that Themselves completely see it as good news when they have each been pacing the floor for a couple of hours with either a fractious son or a fractious daughter in their arms!

But mostly they are a complete delight.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

**bumpity-bump**

Hostly Hoover avoidance tactics. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Don't babies grow fast?

Ours aren't so much putting on weight as they are just getting longer - the cradles which dwarfed them a few short weeks ago seem to have shrunk as the kids have grown so much.

At least now we are starting to get real smiles from them.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hum, hum, cometh the hostly vaccuum cleaner.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016