homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to our new thread to mark and celebrate the significant dates for Shipmates.

You can post here telling us of forthcoming events that you want to note and celebrate - tell us (if you want to) when your birthday is approaching, or an anniversary, the feast day of a favourite saint, or you think we need to celebrate "put a pillow on the fridge day".

Please don't post more than two weeks ahead of the day. We don't want to be embarrassed for forgetting the birthday you told us about 6 months before. A link giving further information about a particular memorial day or event is appreciated.

To help you out, there is a plethora [wealth?] of resources on the internet for listing of events for all sorts of events and communities worldwide such as:

Holidays Worldwide
The Old Farmer's Almanac
Interfaith Calendar
Awareness Day Calendar
Days Of The Year

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As we are starting a new system of marking the Ship's calendar, it is perhaps altogether fitting and appropriate to observe that September 1 is Calendar Adjustment Day.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomorrow Mr C and I celebrate our 41st Wedding Anniversary.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
Tomorrow Mr C and I celebrate our 41st Wedding Anniversary.

Wow! Congratulations!

On 8th September the Tubblet will be 12. She also starts secondary school this month too! [Eek!]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Elaine and Mr. C.! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Mr and Mrs C!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, 7th September is buy a book day, yet read a book day is on the 6th. Wouldn't it make more sense to swap them around, so you buy a book and then read it?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no. You finish your current book on the 6th, buy another on the 7th.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, yes, there is that. But surely every day is read and buy a book day....

(can you tell I'm awaiting a parcel with, I think, 5 or 6 books in it?)

[ 01. September 2015, 08:52: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday, September 4 is Bring Your Manners to Work Day. I may just have to call in sick.

September 4 is the first game of Fordham University's 2015-16 football season, but I imagine that is only of interest to an old alumni like myself.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Friday, September 4 is Bring Your Manners to Work Day ...

I bring my manners everywhere with me, and they're nearly always quite good ... [Angel]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Interestingly, 7th September is buy a book day, yet read a book day is on the 6th. Wouldn't it make more sense to swap them around, so you buy a book and then read it?

It gets worse! Read a Book is the 6th, Buy a Book is the 7th, but Literacy Day isn't until the 8th!!

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

According to posts on Facebook Wednesday 9th September is International Buy a Priest a Beer Day. I've also seen mention of it as Buy Your Pastor a Beer Day. Which is I'm sure many on the Ship would appreciate.

What better way of spending a day, a pint and a good book!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September 4th is also Simon's birthday. Have a good one mein Kapitan.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed - and no falling in de water!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
It gets worse! Read a Book is the 6th, Buy a Book is the 7th, but Literacy Day isn't until the 8th!!

Ah, but:

6 Sept. "Read A Book Day." Borrow book from library. Enjoy it hugely, stay up late to finish it.

7 Sept. "Buy A Book Day." Decide to buy own copy and return library version.

8 Sept. "Literacy Day." Filled with enthusiasm for reading, return to library to borrow more, stop off at bookshop and splurge on sale, go home and buy sequels online. Consider joining book group so as to have something else to do in evening, but phone Bookaholics Anonymous Hotline instead.

Makes sense to me.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently it was World Beard Day yesterday.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five years ago today my best friend and canoeing buddy died of cancer. We did two trips after he was diagnosed. One between bouts of chemo, one between bouts of radiation. If you go to nfb.ca, and search for the film 'waterwalker', you will get an idea of the spirituality we found in wilderness canoeing. It is really worth watching if you want understand Jesus walking on the water, but not quite like you are used to.

We are sitting on the edge of a lake and saying compline like we always did just now. By God, much can happen and does in 5 years. Are there canoes in heaven? And campfires? And tea?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely there must be tea in Heaven - probably a nice full leaf Orange Pekoe.

Important anniversary for me today - doesn't time fly?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If there isn't Earl Grey in Heaven, I suspect D. will want to go t'other way ... [Big Grin]

Whatever your anniversary is, Wodders, congratulations! [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely campfires, no prophet..

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Sunday was Fight Procrastination Day, but I kept putting off posting it. I'll actually get round to fighting procrastination tomorrow.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Are there canoes in heaven? And campfires? And tea?

I understand that there is a large river (of life) in heaven, and a glassy sea, so canoeing shouldn't be a problem. There is definitely fire (for burning incense before the altar, among other things), and God seems quite keen on tents (of meeting) so campfires should be fine. As for tea, well, in heaven, all will be comforted. The way to comfort a person is to offer them a hot beverage, as Sheldon's mother taught him. As Mrs Cooper knows a thing or two about God and heaven, I think we can conclude that in heaven tea will be provided.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
As for tea, well, in heaven, all will be comforted. The way to comfort a person is to offer them a hot beverage, as Sheldon's mother taught him. As Mrs Cooper knows a thing or two about God and heaven, I think we can conclude that in heaven tea will be provided.

Doesn't Isaiah 40 invite us to "Come for tea, come for tea my people, saith your God"?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed it does. It doesn't actually mention CAKE, but it wouldn't be very Heavenly without it, would it? [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Presumably Angel Food Cake?

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But not raisin cake.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

September 9 is the feast day of St. Peter Claver, the Patron Saint of Negro Missions. In the early 17th century, he worked to abolish the Negro slave trade.

It is also the feast days of St. Wilfrida and St. Wulfhilda.

[tangent]To be honest, reading up on both of them, there seems to be a large amount of overlap between their stories, making me wonder whether they are actually the same person, or two people whose life histories have been blended:

St. Wilfrida (a/k/a Wuifritha and Wulfthryth) was born circa 937, and gave birth to a daughter by King Edgar I (Edgar the Peaceful) out of wedlock. Some stories have Edgar carrying her off from a nunnery at Wilton Abbey and she returning there after the birth of her daughter (who would become St. Edith of Wilton). Other versions have her going to the Abbey for the first time after the birth of Edith to atone for her...ummm...interactions with the king. In any event, Wilfrida eventually becomes the abbess of Wilton, dying circa 988.

St. Wulfhilda (a/k/a Wlfhildis)was a novice at Wilton Abbey and King Edgar the Peaceful sought her hand in marriage, eventually tricking her to come to him (under the belief that she was going to see her sick aunt). She was alarmed at his "fervour" and fled, leaving her sleeve in his hand and she went back to Wilton Abbey. No child is mentioned in her story. She goes on to be come the Abbess of Barking (not of Wilton) and establishes another monastery at Horton. Oh, and allegedly Edgar the Peaceful's wife became jealous of her and, after Edgar's death deposed her as Abbess of Barking until Wulfhilda was restored to the position by Edgar's son, the memorable Ethelred the Unready. This doesn't quite fit, though, as Edgar died circa 975 and Wulfhilda apparently didn't even become Abbess until 993.

You get my point. If these are two different women, it seems pretty clear that their respective histories have been merged.

[/tangent, and thank you for your patience]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not a feast day as such, but I think it's worth noting that on 9th September 2015, Queen Elizabeth II becomes the longest-reigning monarch in British history, breaking the record held by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, who presumably Is Not Amused.

Congratulations, Your Majesty. [Smile]

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomorrow is our fourth wedding anniversary. Doesn't seem like that long! (And on Saturday my friend who was my bridesmaid is getting married)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Not a feast day as such, but I think it's worth noting that on 9th September 2015, Queen Elizabeth II becomes the longest-reigning monarch in British history, breaking the record held by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, who presumably Is Not Amused.

Congratulations, Your Majesty. [Smile]

And the first in modern imperial history (beginning with Elizabeth I), as well. The Maple Crown salutes you)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
Tomorrow is our fourth wedding anniversary. Doesn't seem like that long! (And on Saturday my friend who was my bridesmaid is getting married)

Congratulations. May you have many more years ahead.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, Marzipan! [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Rural Fire Service in NSW has designated this weekend as Get Ready Weekend.

Advice for any in fire prone areas, not just NSW and a reminder that it is not just outlying bush areas which are in danger. Sydney has suburbs which burn easily.

Anyone in an area where disaster of any sort can strike should have a plan to deal with an emergency. It is not just for bushfires.

The reminder is a good addition to the household calendar.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's my birthday! and (in slightly hushed tones) I'm 64 - eek!
[Ultra confused]
Please, no choruses of dodgy Beatles tunes...

Mrs. S, who has as yet no grandchildren (and will protest most vigorously if Miss S shows signs of naming them Vera, Chuck or Dave!)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Happy Birthday, you youngster, you.

I have no kids so no grandkids but my siblings and their kids seem to be quite prolific and I have nieces and nephews and great nieces and great nephews galore - the oldest of those greats is a great nephew of 30 and another of 29 so great-greats might not be far away!

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The Beatles song (dodgy or otherwise) is "When I'm 64", not "Now I'm 64". So, it's totally irrelevant. Happy Birthday.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
[Ultra confused]

It's all relative. I can remember at the age of 11 looking at the sixth-formers who were a staggering 18 years old and grown-ups and finding it hard to imagine I'd ever be that age. When I was 21, 30 seemed a lifetime away and a horrible fate and so old. When I was 39 I didn't want to be 40. It was frightening and middle-aged.

Now that I'm 50-something (which I find hard to believe) I realize that it's not actually that old at all. Enjoy being 64, take each day as it comes and make the most of what you've got while you still have it. Happy birthday!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Many happy returns, Mrs. S. [Smile]

Ariel's right - I too remember when 17 was irredeemably ancient, and while I'm not sure that I can get my head round the fact that I'm in my fifties, I can't really say it bothers me. After all, I can do the square root of bugger-all about it ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all - but actually, I don't really mind 64. Lots of people of that age are in worse nick than I am, I don't feel like a Little Old Lady (you'd be horrified how many Little Old Ladies of 60 there are in older novels [Ultra confused] ) and I'm still able to do most of what I want to do, thank the Lord for all his mercies.

I still have friends older than me, which is good - I suspect distress sets in when you become the oldest person you know!

Oh, and many congratulations on all the wedding anniversaries. [Overused] You can't help having birthdays, but anniversaries can require putting in considerable amounts of W*rk!

Mrs. S, still elated from yesterday

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And a very happy Various Life Event Celebration to everyone. [Big Grin] Breath of fresh air after previois day of angry memes and ritual TV somberness.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
[Ultra confused]
Please, no choruses of dodgy Beatles tunes...

Mrs. S, who has as yet no grandchildren (and will protest most vigorously if Miss S shows signs of naming them Vera, Chuck or Dave!)

Ooh, I think we share the 9/11 birthday, happy birthday! ... I've just turned 50, but will be celebrating it tomorrow.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In which case, Trudy, I wish you Happy Birthday Celebrations and belated Happy Birthday.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Many happy returns, Trudy! [Smile]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

We do, Trudy - 9/11 was actually MY 50th birthday! (and also, quite coincidentally the day my beloved car (The Precious) was first registered, though I didn't buy her till almost three years later.

(still love her dearly [Axe murder] )

Hope you had a lovely day - mine included a trip up the scaffolding to see the new roof being put on to Hinton Ampner (note to non-soft-southern-shippies - a lovely NT property between Winchester and Petersfield)

Mrs. S, older but no wiser [Killing me]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to join the party, albeit late. 9/11. And surprisingly, very slightly younger. Still on the whippersnapper side of 50.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Belated felicitations, you young bit thing! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arrrr! Tomorrow* be International Talk Like a Pirate Day me hearties!

*In fact it will be ITLAPD in a matter of minutes in the South-western Pacific.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, me timbers have never been so shivered!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016