homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today, Saturday 4th Feb is World Wetlands Day, so I'm off to a Celebrate Our Estuary event this afternoon. The Estuary we're celebrating is where both of Christchurch's rivers mingle to flow into the sea.

It's a long weekend in Aotearoa/New Zealand as on Monday we mark the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi/Tiriti o Waitangi in 1840, New Zealand's founding document. This was meant to mark a partnership between Maori and the Crown, however the Maori and English versions differ, and Maori understanding of what they were signing was not what the Crown representatives thought they were signing. This has been a source of disagreement and tension.

The Wikipedia version of the Treaty is factually flawed as it only records some North Island Chiefs signing whereas some South Island Chiefs signed too.

Huia - annoyed inhabitant of Te Wai Pounamu -the South Island.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10032 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday to Piglet. [Yipee] [Yipee]

[ 09. February 2017, 20:47: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9356 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers, Loth! [Smile]

It's still 9th February here, and eight years ago today my b-i-l lost his battle with cancer, the day after his 56th birthday.

Rest in peace, R. [Tear]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19415 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, it is lunchtime on the tenth down here now, a hot day feeling like almost 42° C. Hotter tomorrow

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is Pooyem Day here [otherwise known in Tamil as Thaipusam] when the whole village comes alive with music and dancing in honour of Lord Murugan, one of the sons of Lord Shiva and his consort Parvati - celebrations started last night and will go on after midnight tonight.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't suppose food would be involved, would it, WW? [Big Grin]

Hope it was a good one. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 19415 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I don't suppose food would be involved, would it, WW? [Big Grin]

Hope it was a good one. [Smile]

Food is always involved.
Family lunch (10th wedding anniversary), followed by multiple infusions of chili bajis at the temple followed by ice cream. And that was just the first visit!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20399 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete, on the other hand, barely eats enough to keep the entire Indian population of house sparrows alive!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Judging by what I understand to be the preferred strength of chilli chez WW, I suspect the ice-cream was probably a necessary antidote ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy belated, Piglet! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17781 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

11 years yesterday since my dad died - actually it was Sunday here when he died but Saturday in UK.

Still missed, he was a good guy.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Copied over from another thread for NEQ

Yesterday was our 28th wedding anniversary, and today was the 28th anniversary of my becoming a kirkit bride.

I wonder if any bride now uses the term "kirkit bride"? A bride is kirkit the first time she attends church with her new husband, and they sit together as a new unit, rather than with their respective parents. Given that we met at University and our families lived elsewhere in two different cities, we had never attended church sitting apart prior to our wedding. Even so, I liked the idea that I had been kirkit.

Also, as I didn't wear my glasses at my wedding and everything was a bit blurry, it wasn't till we went to church the following day that I saw my wedding flowers!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations NEQ and North East Man! [Yipee]

I'd never come across the expression "kirkit bride" before; the day after D. and I got married* we turned up at church five minutes late for choir practice, and got a rousing cheer from the basses ... [Snigger]

* In those days, most people in Orkney got married on Friday evenings so that they could leave on the boat or plane next day, but we decided to break with tradition and got married on a Saturday afternoon.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Judging by what I understand to be the preferred strength of chilli chez WW, I suspect the ice-cream was probably a necessary antidote ... [Big Grin]

I know a gentleman who makes ice-cream with ghost peppers. It's an interesting experience.
Posts: 4786 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the kirkit bride too. I hadn't heard it before - didn't happen a lot in our family. I hope there's a kirkit groom too. I checked Auntie Google for symbols, but they skip 28, though you can look forward to pearls in two years time. (Sapphire for our next one, on Christmas Day.)

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 866 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of the earthquake in which 185 people lost their lives and the city of Christchurch was badly damaged with 85% of the buildings in the CBD either being demolished or needing demolition.

I'm mourning both the people and the city.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10032 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for Huia and all the people of Christchurch.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy St. David's Day to all the Welsh shippies, or, as my FB friend Jo (who's married to a Welshman and has Welsh roots) put it, Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus Pawb.

[Smile]

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy (big) birthday to Hugal and welcome to the best decade ever!

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9131 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A big Hug to Hugal on this significant day! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 17781 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday Hugal! [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My dad died on this date in 1998. His hundredth birthday would have been this year.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
International Women's Day and what would have been my Mother's 98th birthday.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23939 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On behalf of WW (aka Wodders or Weasel) I would like to announce that he has taken yet another totter into decrepitude. [Overused]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20399 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hippo Birdie 2 Ewe, WW!

Today would have been my late Ma's 105th birthday. May she rest in peace, and rise in glory.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8876 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Many happy returns, Wodders! [Smile]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday, Wodders!
Posts: 4342 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thank to you all - at least as I totter into decrepitude I follow those who seem to be racing there pell-mell!

[Biased]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My late father-in-law would have been 90 today.

RIP, L. [Votive]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm a tad late, but I'd like to wish all the Irish shippies a happy St. Patrick's Day.

Enjoy the Guinness! [Smile]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's my birthday today! 55, but who's counting [Big Grin]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11631 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Many happy returns, Nicole - you've just caught up with me. [Big Grin]

I'm thinking about my late mum today, as it's Mothering Sunday, and would also have been hers and Dad's 66th wedding anniversary.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Today, my Daddy-O turned 87! To celebrate, I took Dad (and Mom, too!) a dozen donuts. At this stage of life, sweets aren't going to hurt them! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday JJ's dad! [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Happy Birthday, indeed.

Today is Himself's birthday - 48 today and he doesn't look a day over 93!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Thanks for the good wishes! I will pass them on to Dad when I see him later this morning. [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Today is Himself's birthday - 48 today and he doesn't look a day over 93!

That's what comes of having 8-month-old twins. [Eek!] Happy birthday, Himself. [Smile]

When I saw the date I realised that I started school 50 years ago today*.

I'm getting awfully elderly.

* I know it seems an odd time of year to start; the policy in Orkney at the time was to start the oldest class in the year-group after the Easter holidays. We went for mornings only until the summer, and then were joined by the other three classes, who, being younger than us, were immeasurably inferior. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A sort of strange day here today - it is the most solemn day in the Christian Year [Western Calendar] and simultaneously one of the biggest feasts and most joyful days in the Kerala Hindu year so

A Blessed Good Friday to all; and

Vishu Asamsakal Happy Vishu.

It is also Dr Ambedkar's [father of the Indian constitution] birthday but I don't think that is hugely celebrated, great man though he undoubtedly was.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, the probably not unconnected, Tamil New Year.

Happy New Year everybody!

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1823 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is the tenth anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings. It was a terrible tragedy, but it also created a stronger sense of community among students, faculty, administration, and the townspeople.

I have never had any formal connection with Virginia Tech (formerly known as VPI), but many members of my family have.

There has always been a strong supportive tie between the town and the university; indeed the university charter states that they are not only to educate students, but also help the surrounding community. There has also been a willingness on the part of the faculty and administration to respond to student concerns. Without this background, the tragedy would have been a much greater disaster.

I never appreciated slogans before this, but the poet Nikki Giovanni, who was on the faculty, wrote a poem with the lines, "We will prevail". Those words appeared on signs all over town. It was very encouraging.

There is a memorial to those who died that day. It was originally designed by grieving students on the day of the shootings. They took stones from a nearby building site and labelled each with the name of a victim. Then people began to bring items appropriate to each individual--sports equipment, etc.

The university at first intended to have people from the architecture school design a memorial, but they decided to go with the students' design. This is what I mean when I say that the administration pays attention to the students. The original stones were replaced with stones cut for the purpose, with a name on each. I took an out-of-town friend there one Sunday morning. As we looked at the stones, a car drew up, and a man and woman got out, carrying a bunch of flowers. They laid the flowers beside one of the stones, stood there for a bit, and then left. We went over and read the card on the flowers. It said," To so-and-so on her twenty-third birthday." I guess they do this every year for every person who died.

There have been articles in the paper all week about the shootings. Today they told about one of the survivors, who was shot in the arm. He recovered completely and went on to become a veterinarian, which was his life's ambition. He apparently has a special talent for handling animals that have been abused.

I could write a lot more, but I think this is enough to give you an idea of what things are like here.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20147 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The people of Orkney (and in particular of St. Magnus Cathedral) today celebrated the 900th anniversary of the martyrdom of St. Magnus, Orkney's patron saint.

Very appropriate that it should fall on Easter Day.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm thinking of my mum, who died five years ago today.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

I almost forgot to post that this would have been Erin's birthday, today. One of our saints in Heaven. The one with the teeth. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I almost forgot to post that this would have been Erin's birthday, today. One of our saints in Heaven. The one with the teeth. [Big Grin]

[Votive]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9348 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Happy Birthday Erin, we miss you.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19963 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today The Smudgelet has a birthday!

Happy Birthday Smudgelet, you are much loved around these halls.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Happy birthday, Smudgelet! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy birthday to the Smudgelet.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Many happy returns, Smudgelet! [Smile]

Also, should have said yesterday, happy Norway Day to any of our Shippies in that fair and beautiful country.
quote:
Ja, vi elsker dette landet, som det stiger frem,
furet, værbitt over vannet, med de tusen hjem

The quote is from the beginning of the Norwegian national anthem, and translates somewhat thus-ish:

Yes, we love this country as it rises forth,
rugged, weathered, over the water, with the thousands of homes

[ 18. May 2017, 21:23: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016