homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly early but happy birthday to me for tomorrow!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Slightly early but happy birthday to me for tomorrow!

You share a birthday with Beethoven!
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny you should mention it, because Beethoven's birthday came unbidden into my mind this afternoon.

Schroeder would have approved.

Happy birthday, Gill H. and Beethoven! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you! Yes indeed, as this incredible cast from the Broadway musical reminds us, it is:

Beethoven Day

(And yes, I know, there's a 'non-traditional' character here. Yes, that's right, Lucy isn't wearing blue!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday to Gill and Ludwig!
Also this is the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Happy birthday to Gill and Ludwig!
Also this is the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party! [Biased]

Little Ludwig was just three.

"Peanuts" re-ran my favorite strip this morning (at least in some areas) -- the Beethoven's Birthday one from 1970 (his 200th), and probably the only English-language comic strip ever to have quoted the opening of the Fourth Movement of the Ninth Symphony in German.
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fifteen years ago today, Miss_Molly got on that Heavenly Train. She may not have been able to finish enjoying the Nativity Play with us, but she knows how the story goes! [Tear]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Judy, I knew it was around Christmas and I was reading the thread for herlast night. Never fails, it makes me cry. Then I saw the date and was surprised. That must be somewhere in my subconscious. I read that thread every Christmas and the Nativirty play. That may be for tonight.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought tiday, the one upside to The Dowager's lack of connection to dates, times etc is that she no longer breaks her heart about all the sad anniversaries that December brings - my father's death (and his birthday the next day) best friends - two of them! - dying and being buried in December; and my poor brother, ditto [Waterworks]

This must be the first year in 40 or so that she hasn't been troubled by them [Smile]

Mrs. S, always looking for the silver lining

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As with a friend of mine with dementia, she may remember down the track. Depending on state she is in, I usually say little. It doesn’t help.

Feel your way gently because these things are also in your memory and so is the decline in your mum.((()))

[ 29. December 2017, 20:05: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Happy Birthday, Amanda B. Reckondwythe!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, kind madam.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday indeed, ABR! [Smile]

As you share your birthday with a certain Scottish poet, will your health be toasted in a fine single malt, with some haggis and clapshot to absorb the alcohol?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only! It will be a very quiet day today, but I'm planning some festivities for the weekend and will keep your suggestion in mind.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy birthday, Miss Amanda.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wishing everyone a happy and blessèd Candlemas. [Smile]

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A belated birthday wish, Miss Amanda!

And a Happy Birthday to Penny S!

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy Birthday, Piglet. Have a great day.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Loth! [Smile]

Things happen to my family in February; my brother-in-law, who was the nicest man on the planet, died 9 years ago today, the day after his 56th birthday.

I'm going to reach that age tomorrow; he would have reached retirement age yesterday.

My father turned 93 on Tuesday, and is at the "end-of-life treatment" stage and not expected to last much longer.

[Tear]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Family things happen in February here, too. My wonderful grandmother was born in February, married in February and just mananaged to die in February, on 29-2-92. I can't think of a more "Gran" date to die than the awkward date of 29th Feb, and a palindrome, too!

My grandfather followed four years later, and was buried on the 29th February 1996.

We got married on their 57th wedding anniversary. They made it to their 60th.

The North East Loon was born in February.

I love February! The days are lengthening, the snowdrops are out, the dark days of winter are over.

I hope this February is a gentle one for you, Piglet.

[ 12. February 2018, 08:35: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, NEQ - I suspect it won't be, but your thought is much appreciated. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016