homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember, remember! The fifth of November, The Gunpowder treason and plot…

For those in the UK, enjoy the fireworks safely. Check there's no wildlife sheltering in the bonfire before you light it.

The rest of us will have no such fun (the best I'll manage is the regular loud fireworks set off by the local school ... at 6 in the morning!)

--------------------
Don't Brexit if you haven't a scooby how to fix it.

Posts: 32007 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! the anniversary of Mr. Lamb's installation as pastor here. I remember thinking Guy Fawkes' Day was appropriate. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19967 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Remember, remember! The fifth of November, The Gunpowder treason and plot…

For those in the UK, enjoy the fireworks safely. Check there's no wildlife sheltering in the bonfire before you light it.

The rest of us will have no such fun (the best I'll manage is the regular loud fireworks set off by the local school ... at 6 in the morning!)

First time I ever went to England we landed on the afternoon of bonfire night. It was also (they said) the worst rain storm to hit the UK in decades. We saw one lonely oil drum bonfire sputtering on a rooftop across from our hotel.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35052 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It always rains on bonfire night. The Good Lord knows we cannot be trusted with fire so sets the sprinklers to over time.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20596 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is the Day of Black Consciousness in Brazil.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9462 | From: UK / Africa / Brazil | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On this date in 1928, John Barrymore married Dolores Costello.

This union would result in two children (Dolores Ethel Mae Barrymore and John Drew Barrymore). On his fourth marriage, John Drew Barrymore would father Drew Barrymore.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2630 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day - I celebrated mine by having a 2 hour nap this afternoon - I'm really good at naps!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a unique talent for being born on this day [Big Grin]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No wonder you are so uniquely talented! Happy Birthday!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Felicitations Kelly!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, some may consider the last Thursday in November to already be a special day to give thanks.

But, don't forget the even more important celebration. Today is Cake Day [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 32007 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did someone mention CAKE? [Yipee]

While I'm here, may I wish all our American shippies seasonal felicitations and happy turkey-eating?

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19435 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Feast of Saint Andrew today. Patron Saint of Scotland, in the Western tradition and of many places within the Eastern tradition.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I cooked a haggis supper last night after our prayer meeting. OK, so it was haggis from cans (because I didn't fancy the logistical difficulties of bringing a proper haggis half way around the world). Tatties were simple. Neeps a bit more challenging, I resorted to a mix of carrot and diakon - which worked quite well.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You probably couldn't get any Irn Bru, though ...

We have a bottle ready to be opened later.

Posts: 9318 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

No, I didn't use any of my 23kg allowance to carry Irn Bru. Just single malt whisky.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proper thing too - although you could possibly use the Irn-Bru if you over-indulge in the whisky ... [Big Grin]

Happy St. Andrew's Day to all, and happy haggis-hunting! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 19435 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Hot and Hormonal]

Yesterday I missed putting World AIDS Day on here - after 30+ years the fight goes on and the search for a cure continues. Like many gay men I have lost a number of friends to the disease - but remember that worldwide it is primarily a disease that affects women and that, as in most things, the poor are the most vulnerable - but is a disease that can strike anyone.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is Disability Day so let us please be aware of how the world around us disables so many people and how something as sample as a single step can disable others - not so far from here and very close to where we used to live they built a beautiful new mosque with a fabulous ramp up from street level to improve access - except at the bottom of the ramp was a step! Thus wheelchair users were unable to worship there.

Today is also Roof over your Head Day just to help us realise that there are a lot of people in this world who don't have this luxury - and mainly we just take it for granted - I know I do.

--------------------

barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
on Wednesday we shall (God Willing)be celebrating our 65th Wedding Anniversary. Time goes by so quickly. Has anyone else on SOF been married longer. We have had some hard times. But God has been with us and we have survived.praise Him.
Posts: 1050 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blimey, barrea. Very impressive. Many congratulations.
Posts: 1825 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to you both, barrea.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9363 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great to hear from you again barrea. Many congratulations!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23939 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, Barrea - that really is quite some achievement! [Smile]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

December 4: Bartender Appreciation Day.

I believe I can do that... [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is also World Wildlife Conservation Day - and added to that I saw a mongoose dash across the road in front of us on the way back from the shops. Cute but can be vicious.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Today is also World Wildlife Conservation Day - and added to that I saw a mongoose dash across the road in front of us on the way back from the shops. Cute but can be vicious.

No surprise. It's basically a tropical ferret on steroids, and ferrets are best known for getting their teeth into anything and not letting go.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
on Wednesday we shall (God Willing)be celebrating our 65th Wedding Anniversary. Time goes by so quickly. Has anyone else on SOF been married longer. We have had some hard times. But God has been with us and we have survived.praise Him.

Many congratulations to you both- that is certainly something worth celebrating!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 661 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Some folks here [including a penguin person] will be excited that today is Sachertorte Day but it is also World Soil Day so is pretty darned important when it comes to some of the little things, like FOOD!

We like Food!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw on the Rural Fire Service page that today is Volunteers Day. I did much volunteer work for many years. I am grateful for the thousands who volunteer down here, particularly those like rescue services and fire fighting.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by barrea:

Many years! [Smile]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

So Hanukkah started at sundown yesterday, and we still have a few days to celebrate the Festival of Lights.

December 7, 1787: My home state of Delaware became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution. Hence, Delaware is billed as "The First State."

Of course, December 7 is also National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day to remember the 1941 surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations barrea and Mrs barrea!
Posts: 6344 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My Better Half is turning 60 today. Am I really old enough to have a husband who qualifies for a bus-pass?

[Smile] [Axe murder]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, you aren't - at least, not in Britain! [Frown]

The age is going up: I will be 62 in February but I won't qualify for my Pass until 2019. Things may be different in Canada.

Anyway, congratulations - is he having a special Recital to celebrate?

Posts: 9318 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
The age is going up: I will be 62 in February but I won't qualify for my Pass until 2019.

Move to London! We get ours at 60! (it was the only thing about turning 60 last year that i actually enjoyed [Big Grin] )

[ 10. December 2015, 12:40: Message edited by: Abigail ]

Posts: 483 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Now that I think about it, I don't even know if it applies here or not. There are one or two places (restaurants, cinemas etc.) that offer "senior discounts", and he's been offered them for years, as his hair's somewhat white ... [Big Grin]

I understand from friends in the Irish Republic that you not only get a bus-pass, but free train travel when you're an OAP (not sure whether the cut-off is 60 or 65). We used to know a couple in Cork who would use it to go up on the train to Dublin to baby-sit their grandchildren.

BT - no recital (he just did an ordinary one yesterday). We are, however, doing some restaurant research in the evening. [Smile]

[ 10. December 2015, 13:30: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Abigail
quote:
Move to London! We get ours at 60!
Whereas those of us who don't live in the capital don't. If you are 60 this month you won't get your bus pass until your 66th birthday - maybe. Latest word from DWP requesting my projected pension details is that I should receive my pension at age 66 with the caveat that the information "is correct at the time of writing" - make of that what you will.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4631 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Am I really old enough to have a husband who qualifies for a bus-pass?

That is entirely his own fault for marrying a child-bride thirty years his junior...

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My Better Half is turning 60 today. Am I really old enough to have a husband who qualifies for a bus-pass?

[Smile] [Axe murder]

Perhaps it is different in Canada's newest province, but in Ontario, I got mine at 65. I get a lot of senior discounts - one today without even asking. [Eek!]

My bus pass is not free, not at all. But $42.50 a month beats $125 a month all hollow.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20401 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
We are, however, doing some restaurant research in the evening. [Smile]

Gosh ... how many meals will you be trying (for comparative reasons, of course)? [Devil]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just one this evening - and it was a very good one - my saffron risotto with veal cheek was one of the nicest things I've ever eaten. [Smile]

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday to a much loved musician.

Oh, and Beethoven too... [Razz]

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9131 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

And you managed to get that into a Hell thread too. Congratulations [Big Grin]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother Dave (deuce2) died seven years ago today. It doesn't seem that long, and the ache in my heart is just as big as it was that day. I wouldn't want him back, sick as he was with pancreatic cancer, but I miss him. [Tear]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20401 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hugs Pete. I was thinking of him yesterday and wondering how long ago it happened. There is always a hole. Raw grief may ease, but the hole remains.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is International Migrants Day and this year it seems most appropriate as there are so many migrants in the world - both migrants by force and migrants by choice - I'm one of the latter and am a descendant of Huguenots who were the former.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Another Migrant By Choice checking in - I'll join you in a wee celebration! [Smile]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Not much of the migrant about me but Mrs S and Youngest Son were born in Malta, her mother has Breton forebears and her Irish father has some Norwegian. Me? British and a bit of French, way back.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

December 21 is International Dalek Remembrance Day.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016