homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May both of them rest in peace. I remember Uncle Pete talking about his niece at the time.

It's also my own birthday today and I'm counting my blessings: I have a job, a roof over my head, a choice of what to eat when I want it, clothes to wear, clean (and hot) water when needed. I can read, and drive, and have a lovely little car to help open up horizons. I have my health and enough money to buy the things I need.

And I know that life doesn't last and things can change, sometimes overnight. It's been a difficult year, and I hope the worst of it is coming to a close now. I want to think that there are things to look forward to, and I want to be surprised by the beauty in small things and actions and unexpected places, and glad for the kindness of people known and unknown, felt or observed.

My best wishes to anyone marking an anniversary of whatever kind around now. If it's a good one, may it bring you joy; if it's a sad one, may you find peace and comfort.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Uncle Pete, and for Danielle [Votive]

Happy Birthday, Ariel. Many Happy Returns [Smile]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday, Ariel.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP Danielle. [Votive]

And happy birthday Ariel! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belated Happy Birthday Ariel!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you know that yesterday was TV Talk Show Host Day?

Aren't you glad we didn't celebrate it?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It probably depends on who the host is - Michael Parkinson and Terry Wogan were both rather good at it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
42 years ago today Mr S and I stepped out on our journey together. I don't suppose either of us really appreciated what we were promising, almost two lifetimes ago (if you see what I mean - I was 23 at the time!) but here we are none the less [Axe murder]

Miss S and SiL celebrated their third wedding anniversary on the 11th, with the Intrepid Grandson, and we wish them many happy returned of that happy day [Axe murder]

And on Saturday Master S will marry the (Brave and) Lovely Girlfriend, and we wish them as happy and stable a marriage as we have [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MrsS [Axe murder]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. S. [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your kind wishes [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Congratulations from here, too.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, today (October 27) marks the 334th Birthday of the City of Philadelphia.

I forgot to send a card.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday, Philly! [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today, it's Friday over here, is Plush Animal Lovers Day so I reckon Piglet and I will both be celebrating - well there are a score and more of the little demons looking down at me here in the study and there is another little group that share my bed and as this all includes several tigers [as well as an Eeyore, many dogs and quite a few bears*] I think discretion is the better part of valour!

* including one apparently parachuting down from a shelf!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Today, it's Friday over here, is Plush Animal Lovers Day ...

<Hedgehog pats his avatar fondly on the head, then tickles its tummy while asking "Who's a little hedgehog?">

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Today, it's Friday over here, is Plush Animal Lovers Day so I reckon Piglet and I will both be celebrating ...

Absolutely - what a nice thing to celebrate! At the moment we're rather underpopulated as most of our bears are still in storage (and being missed).

I think the purchase of some CAKE to celebrate with Piglet*, Quite Large Bear and Small Bear with Little Green Tartan Friend (the ones we decided we couldn't do without) would be in order.

* a very cute, much-loved piglet knitted by my sister-in-law twenty-mumble years ago when she was pregnant and tired of knitting little boots, and who's become a sort of mascot. Where we go, he goes. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today, Saturday 29th October, is not only Diwali [Deepavalli] here but it is also Cat Day which would get Himself's vote - and the vote of little boy across the lane who is 11 and already has 4 cats!

Happily his mum quite likes them, too.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Bee and I will be celebrating our ruby wedding tomorrow and are having a party tonight. Not quite sure how that happened!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Image and I are about to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. I must have been married as a child bride because I am much to young to have been married so long.
We were married in December in the mist of a large snow storm. So to be safe this time we are celebrating a month early.
We have rented a large house on the coast and children and grand children will be joining us for the week-end. Having a catered meal brought in and a magician has been hired to do a show for the family. Also each person is instructed to come ready to do one magic trick. ( The real magician is a surprise) Theme for the celebration we said was the song, "That Old Black Magic has me in it's Spell."

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to Mr And Mrs Tree Bee and Mr and Mrs Graven Image. You both mention how quickly time passes. I guess the policemen are getting younger too? I do understand. My first grandchild was just a few months old last weekend and he has now graduated from high school and finished exams.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandson was 14 in May. It seems like yesterday he was being cuddled in my arms, and yet when I saw him on Tuesday, he was just over 6 feet, taller than his Dad and towering over his mum at 5'4" [Eek!]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations to Tree and Mr. Bee, and Graven and Mr. Image. [Yipee]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today [Sunday] is apparently Create A Great Funeral Day, which has the serious intent of getting families [by any definition you choose] to talk out what is to happen at funerals BEFORE your loved one dies.

I, however, read it as making me think of lots of people whose funeral it would be a pleasure to plan and attend, but they are all still alive!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As far as D. and I are concerned, as long as we can get (a) the right words (i.e. Cranmer's matchless prose) and (b) the right music, we'll be content.

Any deviations, and we'll come back and do a spot of haunting ... [Devil]

[ 30. October 2016, 21:28: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that it was seven years ago today that the magnificent and brilliant writer of recipes, dance and pie theory, KenWritez, went to Glory. I do hope that he is in the kitchen helping with that Heavenly banquet, but perhaps not suggesting some of his more...erm...cannibalistic creations!

Ken, looking forward to another hug! But not too soon! [Biased] [Axe murder]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear] KenWritez was one of a kind. Now I'm all weepy, rereading his memorial thread on the Glory board. But could he ever make us laugh!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Will look on glory board soon. It must be the time of the year. Kenwritez, Miss Molly and the Nativity play are read by me every year at Christmas. Not quite there as far as time goes yet, but leading up to it.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a new version of the song 'Fields of Gold' out here in the UK, so I'm thinking of Molly often.

Hope that Heavenly Shipmeet is going well. Too many Shipmates way too soon, but I'm sure they will save a seat for us.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I didn't have a huge lot of Ship contact with KenWritez, but I remember his pie quotient theory, and thought of him last night when we were at the Cathedral harvest supper, where for pudding there was an absolutely indecent quantity of pies.

Hope he's enjoying them in Heaven, where they presumably have no calories, even if you put cream on them ... [Smile]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today we shall no doubt see wild celebrations everywhere on the Feast Day of St Ercus.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My mum would have been 99 today! Silly her went and died back in 1989 but she is still missed every day.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Today we shall no doubt see wild celebrations everywhere on the Feast Day of St Ercus.

Darn it! I forgot to put up my St. Ercus Day tree and send out my St. Ercus Day cards!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

According to the Daily Telegraph, today is Winnie the Pooh's 90th birthday (and by extension, presumably Piglet's as well).

Happy birthday to both of them! [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have some haycorns, Piglet.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That's right, leave the thistles for me, as usual!

[Razz]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Didn't realise your name was really Eeyore. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Eeyore is a fabulous creation, I've always held him as my favourite character!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Have some haycorns, Piglet.

Thank you! [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, today is the day for PTSD Awareness,

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

1st December is World Aids Day, a time to remember the victims of the disease that is still rampaging round the world, and killing thousands every year, mainly women.

30th November 1997 was the day of my official retirement [I hadn't been to work for some months after my breakdown in August] and so 1st December 1997 was the first day of my new life of freedom - and the day I landed here in Kerala to start my life as an ex-pat.

And I'm still here!

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going around yesterday muttering "Just where did the last 25 years go?!"

So today sees the 25th anniversary of the death of my younger brother, then aged 24. (motorcycle accident)

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mama is 81 years old today! My sister is here and she and I and my Daddy-O are going to celebrate! I'm very grateful to be one of the few of my generation to still have both parents.
[Axe murder]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday, Jedi Mum! [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is Disability Day or, as I prefer it, International Day of People with Disability. Disability can be either visible or invisible - or both!

It is also Roof Over Your Head Day when we can all consider our gratitude that we have a roof over our head and also think of and consider the plight of those who don't.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is World Wildlife Conservation Day so let us remember the complex interdependences on this planet of ours and remember that it is the only planet we've got - if we mess it up in the end we are the ones that will suffer!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

December 7 is "Delaware Day": on December 7, 1787, my home state of Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution of the United States.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Another little bit of information gained from SoF. [Biased]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kirk Douglas is 100 years old today. [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Kirk Douglas is 100 years old today. [Smile]

Really? Happy birthday to him! [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016