homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Want to lose some weight? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Want to lose some weight?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The time has come for a new weight loss support thread!

I have a stone to lose before Christmas and intend to start the 5:2 in October (in order to take a run up at it, get myself prepared etc)

I'm going to keep myself motivated by posting any achievements on here.

Anyone fancy joining me?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me!

But not today, as it's
a) Macmillan cake day and
b) a lovely person's birthday dinner.

Plus yesterday I swapped a home-grown cauliflower for a batch of my neighbour's home baking which she thought wasn't good enough for Macmillan cake day. So I'll eat those, and join you tomorrow.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could surely stand to lose 10 lbs.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly ought to lose a stone or three; I'm interested in the 5:2 but not sure how it works (and possibly even less sure of how practical it would be for my life-style).

We're going over the Pond in November and it would be nice if there were a bit less of me than there is now ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in. I want to fit into these dresses again. Maybe a couple of stone by Christmas?

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have avoided stocking up on cakes from the WI market today because I didn't want to sneeze over all the lovely elderly people who go there for tea and coffee.

And I haven't been eating much because of the cold.

I will take it as a sign that I must start again.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read that the 5:2 way of eating is not suitable for diabetics, so that rules it out for me. I am trying to more aware of my eating and exercise patterns, following a wake up call from my G.P regarding blood sugar levels.

I don't know if this is available in other countries, but here we can get a green prescription from the doctor which give reduced price access to a 12 week series of introductory exercise and nutritional classes. I did one and it was fun (much to my surprise as I hated sports and PE at school).

I wold like to lose 7kg (about a stone)before Christmas as part of my ongoing healthier living programme.

I've avoided the word diet as I think for someone like me this has to be a lifestyle change. Sure I will eat unhealthy foods from time to time but it's more the overarching issues I need to address. This is not to say that's how other people should approach it, but I've learned it works best for me.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in! Have just joined a 24hr gym.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm up for this.
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I've avoided the word diet as I think for someone like me this has to be a lifestyle change... I've learned it works best for me.

This is what works best for me too. Two weeks ago I cut out snacking between meals, mainly for gut health reasons, but a few lbs have come off as a result and I feel better for it. I'm currently at 207lb, aiming by the end of October for under 200lb and to have incorporated a bit of exercise into the mix.
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just going to add a little humour to this thread. [Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete, that's depressingly accurate.

The Walking Festival starts in Christchurch this morning, and the sun is out, so that might help my motivation.

Huia

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can thoroughly recommend buying a house whilst being made redundant as a means of losing weight - my belt has gone in two holes, and I've no need to worry about end of cricket season chub.

Not so good for peace of mind, though...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am now below 13 stone 7, down from over 17 last year. Low carbs managed it.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, guys, we know it can be done - and we know where to aim those virtual custard pies also [Smile]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have also lost a significant amount of weight recently, am fitting into a pair of trousers I have been keeping for twenty years on the off-chance they might fit one day, (they are now too loose!!), and it's still going down, albeit more slowly.

I do not recommend undiagnosed diabetes as the way to do this.

No, I don't feel better for losing the weight, yes, I do feel better for knowing what it is, and that it's being treated properly. Yes, in retrospect, I had been feeling ill for a long time, but not ill enough to do anything about it.

Anyway, I am carrying on with the lifestyle changes, and will be chipping in with this thread from time to time.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I am now below 13 stone 7, down from over 17 last year. Low carbs managed it.

Reading reviews for the book Wheat Belly got me to "try a month of no wheat, see if it has any effect" - yikes, in a wheat based culture what do you eat? That threw me into high saturated fat (I'm tired of butter and bacon, need to explore refined coconut oil) and protein and lotsa veggies. Low carb eating style, backed into by accident.

Wow what a difference. Better digestion, better sleep, no headaches etc. Apparently USA wheat (I don't know about all wheat, some say Eurpean wheat affects them less than USA wheat) has negative effects on lots of us even if we are not celiac disease.

And, with no calorie counting, no significant exercise, lots of meats and veggies and gobs of the healthy fats, 4 inches came off the belly, 4 off the hips, 4 off the waist, in 8 months. (I have more inches to go.)

I define my goal in inches, not in weight: get rid of the metabolically dangerous belly.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Belle, do you eat nuts? They can add a bit of variety to your eating as well as being full of good stuff. I eat 2 Brazil nuts for selenium (lacking in NZ soil) and a handful of almonds a day.

I believe that the almonds also positively effect my mood and energy levels, but I am not medically qualified and don't have any idea how they would effect anyone else (for example some people have nut allergies).

Huia

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started 2 weeks ago and I think I've lost two pounds. Only another 68 pounds to go then.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
10lbs for me to lose by xmas. Or even better 14lbs.

So my year - Started at 168lbs. Got down to 141lbs. And have munched up to 147lbs. I'm not unhappy about the recent weight gain, I don't think it necessarily hurts to have a blip mid-diet but it's getting back on track which is important. And that brought me to today, I managed to get on the scales to find 6lbs put on after 3 weeks of eating naughties and nibbling and snacking.

Aloe vera is helpful for me. Not sure how much of a good thing it might be long term but it does help curb the appetite / cravings!

[ 28. September 2015, 19:17: Message edited by: Beenster ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there anybody here who has weight swings of at least 5 lb from day to day? I marvel at those who can give a definite "I lost 2 lbs" statement. I can only say that the swings are moving higher or lower.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most people. That's why it's important to weigh yourself under the same conditions each time. Same time of day, same scales, same amount of clothes, same position in the room. I was once at weight watchers and was weighed in the evening and had put on nearly half a stone. I weighed myself the next morning on my scales under the same conditions as I usually did, and had lost it all and then some.
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm needing to join the weight loss brigade. My weight has slowly crept up again this year, having lost a bit a the beginning of the year doing Weight Watchers online. But I don't really want to go back to counting all those points and would rather learn to eat what is healthy and appropriate for me without having to weigh and measure everything.

Key for me is cutting down wheat and grain based foods and sugar ie cutting carbs and eating more protein, veg and salad. I know what works for me losing weight, it's just finding the motivation to stick to it.

Anyway, starting point 173lbs. Realistic goal - to be less than 154lbs. Optimistic goal - to get down to 147lbs. In your dreams goal - 140lbs (ie 10 stone). I was only 9 and a half stone when I got married 20 years ago. Somehow I don't think I will see that again...

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read, and I think I can agree, that 5:2 is easier to do when the fasting day is not from waking-up til back to bed, but from 2pm til 2pm the next day. This way you don't go a whole day without a square meal, and the hungriest time happens when you're asleep (hopefully). Just don't have a giant late lunch at 2.05 the next day - only a snack, and then a normal supper.
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

I think the originators of the 5:2 diet warn against this approach, because it means you're going fewer hours without food or on severely reduced calories when you would otherwise be eating.

[ 28. September 2015, 20:37: Message edited by: Jack o' the Green ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
Most people. That's why it's important to weigh yourself under the same conditions each time. Same time of day, same scales, same amount of clothes, same position in the room. I was once at weight watchers and was weighed in the evening and had put on nearly half a stone. I weighed myself the next morning on my scales under the same conditions as I usually did, and had lost it all and then some.

I do that (same conditions place etc.) and still have the swings. I've put it down to water all my life, but still.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday the 4th of October is my first of the 'two' days so I intend to read up on what to do before then.

Any good links folks can lead me to?

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

I do that (same conditions place etc.) and still have the swings. I've put it down to water all my life, but still.
It probably is. Water retention can make a big difference.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It also depends on various other systems. If you are female, the time of month. And for everybody, if you've excreted recently.

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

Very true. I noted that I hadn't done that when I noticed the overnight weight loss!
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried the 5:2 - I seriously needed to lose weight, but I found the fasting days too difficult. On the upside, after two days a week on 700 calories (I'm male) I found it relatively easy to switch to 7 days a week on 1750 calories a day.

People say it is a hassle to be counting calories, but keeping a food diary suits me, and as most of us are pretty much creatures of habit, it doesn't take long to figure out the calorific value of the stuff you usually eat. It has been a few years now, and people are still commenting on how much weight I've lost (was I really THAT big?). I am not calorie counting at the moment, but it had become such a habit that I just continue with the diet, but without writing every thing down in my food diary.

My best tip would be to set a daily target and keep a food diary. When I am calorie counting, I try to keep under the limit early in the week, so on weekends I can use up my saved calories (or not!) eating out with friends.

Luckily for me, diet-wise, I'm not really a big drinker (social or otherwise) so that's a lot of calories that I'm not really missing. Same goes for sodas, but I did use to drink a lot of juice (the carton variety) and that's a KILLER. So, instead of juices, I buy a small carton of high quality juice and lots of sparkling water to make my own fizzy drinks.

After a year or so of calorie counting, I have moved on to ingredient checking instead. This has been a more radical change, but I'm ready for it. Rather than looking at the number of calories I consume, I now think about the quality of those calories instead. I'm making a big effort to avoid foods with any kind of artificial colour or flavouring, and if there's anything on the ingredients list that I can't pronounce - I don't buy it. I just have to remember to take my glasses when I go to the supermarket.

No calories in the bong, though.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got nowhere dieting. Well, I did whilst I was on it but once I started living again (diet is after all "die" with a "t" on the end) it would be back.

Only thing that worked for me was a 14 mile each way cycle commute to work.

Not suitable for everyone, but I thought it wasn't suitable for me until people challenged me to give a good reason why it wasn't.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

The thing is, my diet is good. All food is freshly made from raw ingredients, no added anything except spices. Very little red meat (maybe once a fortnight) No extra sugars, plenty of fish, fruit and veg. Porridge for breakfast.

I exercise well. I walk the dogs (briskly) 2 hours a day, plus I do kettle bells 3 times a week and boxing once a week.

I drink red wine 2 evenings a week (half a bottle each evening)

The trouble is I'm *that age* where weight gathers round the middle and stays there.

So I'm trying the 5:2 for the first time - we'll see!

(October and November)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My problem is that fiction calls for fuel. When I write, I need sugar and caffeine. All my author acquaintance assures me that it is worth gaining ten pounds if you have a novel at the end of it. But then I am resolved to lose it back again.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been doing 5:2 for over 2 years now. At first I lost steadily, then my weight mostly plateaued, but now to my alarm I find it creeping up again. I think I know the reason - while I am still very good on my '2' days, the other days I have got into the habit of eating probably too many sweet goodies, also not exercising enough. The thing is, I'm afraid to stop doing it now, for if my weight is creeping up a bit on the diet, whatever would it do if I stopped?!!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So in my attempt to increase my fitness as well as lose some weight I've started the NHS Couch to 5k progamme. I've been walking briskly for half an hour three times a week reasonably consistently for the last 3 years but I no longer feel like it is stretching me as I don't really get out of breath any more. So thought I'd see if I can run!

During the summer I invested in some suitable trainers, running clothes and a small mp3 player for running with so I thought I'd better stop putting it off and have a go.
All previous attempts to take up running have not got very far however this time I've done the week one programme twice this week and didn't find it too bad. I managed to run all the 60 second bursts although I certainly got hot and out of breath, so hopefully it will do me some good if I can keep it up. But will I really be able to run for half an hour in 9 weeks time???

[ 01. October 2015, 14:28: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
That's why it's important to weigh yourself under the same conditions each time. Same time of day, same scales, same amount of clothes, same position in the room.

I get weight and inch swings just from differences in what I eat. A small piece of cake at coffee, waist is an inch (or 1.5 inches) bigger the next day, takes 3 or 4 days of no wheat or sugar to go back down. I am not celiac, I am not diabetic, but wheat and sugar obviously do me harm that shows up in the metabolically dangerous warning sign of bigger belly.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Today is my first 500 calorie day! So far so good!

My food for the day -

50g porridge
1 apple
veg soup
black tea and coffee

When the munchies set in I will start to make the soup, which I intend to eat at tea time. I will make double so that I can have it on Wednesday too.

[Big Grin] **feeling pleased to have started** [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucia:
quote:
But will I really be able to run for half an hour in 9 weeks time???
It worked for me; I did a 5k race in July after following the Couch to 5k programme. I can't run very fast (the whole 5k took me about 45 minutes) but I can run continuously for 5k.

I expect you know this already, but the most important thing after your trainers is a good sports bra.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Boogie well done for starting. Your menu makes mine look like out in out gluttony.

I like the vegetable soup idea. I should make some myself because it's a relatively easy way of making sure I have enough vegetables. Also if I freeze some it will be on hand if I get the munchies and would be much better for me than a bread, which I am cutting down on.

I am quite excited, the City Council and various volunteers have completed a 360 degree walking trail around Christchurch which incorporates existing walkways as well as some new paths which join them up. The trail comes within half a km of my place, so I'm going to explore it. There are places where the trail crosses a bus route so I'll take my bus card and collapse on a bus when needed.

Huia

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Thank you Huia. I managed the day on my 500cal menu. The last hour (9pm to 10pm) was hard. Not due to hunger but because I felt tired and weak and grumpy!

On my next two day I will go to bed at 9pm - a bonus, extra sleep!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dreamed I was eating ice-cream. It just started with a spoonful, then it all got out of hand. *sigh*

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to lose weight so that a bath towel goes all the way round, so that I'm decently covered the next time I'm walking from shower to bedroom only to spot the window cleaner. [Hot and Hormonal]

(I wasn't only wearing a towel, you understand - I had slippers on, too.)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... (I wasn't only wearing a towel, you understand - I had slippers on, too.)

Phew - that's a relief! [Devil]

eta: I really shouldn't be reading this thread while eating a Tim Horton's chocolate-chip muffin that's probably got about a million calories in it ...

My excuse (and I'm sticking to it) is that I didn't have any breakfast.

[ 05. October 2015, 13:54: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has to be done.
I lost weight 3 years ago, but a combination of a broken ankle and That Time of Life (and eating far too much chocolate, cake and cheese plus red wine) has seen it almost all go back on again. Which is a nuisance because I have a wardrobe of Thin Clothes and very little fits any more.

So, it's back to Weight Watchers I go. Wish me luck?

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck St Everild!

Go for it, and all of you too.

I've been making a conscious effort and have lost over a stone since mid-July (I've just hit the 10% of body weight lost). It's a bit up and down, but the overall trend continues to be downwards, so I'm happy with that. If I have a bad day or week, and put a pound or two back on, I usually know why so it can be remedied!

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Boogie, when my doctor put me on new meds which lowered my blood sugar below what it should be I was tired, weak, grumpy and confused but I still didn't feel hungry. I don't know enough about b/sugar levels and their effects on people, but it might pay to keep an eye on this (I'm not a doctor so this is just me wondering - also I may be overreacting because the new meds almost drove me bonkers).

I decided I would ride my bike to my Doctor's appointment today. Part of the way intersects with the new walking/biking trail. I was sooo smooth and enjoyable (the roads in this area were being re-aligned even before the 2011 quakes so it has been a nightmare for years). Then I put my bike on the bus and went into town to buy a new helmet as mine had been broken (they are compulsory here). That meant I had to ride back the 5km from town, which isn't far but the temperature, the wind and the fact that I haven't had a decent ride for ages combined to make it a challenge.

I feel really good now, tired but happy (and broke - the helmet was $140).

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better $140 than a head, Huia. My nine year old grandson hit a pothole from recent rains while riding down what is little more than a bush track from his house. He hit a rock and smashed bike. Helmet was a wreck. Imagine the damage to head had he not been wearing it. Lots of very nasty grazes. When recovered, he took bike apart, took bits to school where the pieces were recycled in various sculptures by his class. The yellow seat became a beak for a kookaburra. Well, a tangent, but your head is more important than your wallet.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been doing the 5:2 for a while now. It suits me, as I'm one of those people who when they start eating things they shouldn't can't stop. I'm more or less happy with my weight. I tend to do it for a few weeks then have a week or two off which means my weight has been more or less the same for a while. I think I'd like to lose anothe 7lbs but maybe this is the weight I'm meant to be.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lothlorien:
quote:
Well, a tangent, but your head is more important than your wallet.
Couldn't agree more - 'how much is your head worth?' is exactly what I said to my daughter when she was boggling at the cost of her new riding helmet.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helmets can be had for a lot less. Statistically, you're more likely to die from inactivity related illness than from riding without a helmet*, at least on road (trail/MTB riders are more likely to come off and find a rock in the way of their head), so don't get too hung up. They're only designed to protect from impacts up to 12mph anyway.

I only use on on longer on-road rides (e.g. not to the corner shop) or off-road, for the same reason I don't wear one when I'm walking on a pavement or a passenger in a car - the risk of a head injury is vanishingly small in all three cases.

*This is why I consider compulsion to be a bad thing; it's likely to kill more people by putting them off cycling than the vanishingly small (statistically insignificant**) number of lives it will save.

**i.e. no-one can find it in the statistics against the background noise.

[ 06. October 2015, 08:55: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016