homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Want to lose some weight? (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Want to lose some weight?
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
For some of us [e.g. me] the concept of no appetite is completely alien!

As it was to me! I couldn't even drink tea, my most beloved tea!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Lily pad, when we were trying to get our son to regain weight after illness, we were recommended to use creamy yogurts, some of which are surprisingly high in calories. The rational was that it wouldn't create an unhealthy eating pattern; once he had regained the weight he could easily swop back to "normal" yogurt.

quote:
I highly recommend posting a "Way Before" photo on the fridge. It's amazing how a slim photo can motivate.
I'd have to back over 20 years to get a truly "slim" photo. I was slim all through my twenties, but I was pearshaped and very flat chested, and totally failed appreciate that I looked good. I suspect that I'm more body-confident now, in my fifties, fat, saggy and greying, than I was then.

Actually, if I could lose a few stone, get fitter and more toned and keep my current mindset, then I'd probably hit my prime.... a good thought.

I am having lots of full fat milk and yogurt and every kind of rice pudding and tapioca pudding that I can find. It is amazing to me to see how many calories inflammation can burn off without even trying. Getting the muscles back is proving to be even tougher. (Not that I want the weight back, mind you!)

I think you and I have twin body types. Good luck with the weight loss. [Smile]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have dug out a pair of dungarees I bought ages ago, but have never worn because they're a bit too small. They are purple with a pink swirly pattern and I really like them.

They fit so long as I am standing up and breathing in, so I don't think it would take much of a weight loss for them to fit comfortably. I have hung them on the outside of my wardrobe as an incentive to lose enough weight to wear them this summer.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ - good to have an incentive like that. I think positive incentive work far better for me than negatives which just make me want to give up in despair.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eldest son is promising a shopping trip on return from China.

I ned to sort wardrobe. There is not much point in buying new summer clothes now as we come into winter, if it ever arrives.

Down 200 gm this week. Not much but it is down not up.,

Edited to add: I must really have been asleep this morning. It was 300 gm. Not a vast difference but every bit helps.

[ 21. April 2016, 02:52: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was getting too skinny - the doctor said I should gain about half a stone, which I did. He also said I was anemic - that should be sorted now. Now I am a bit more than thirteen and a half stone.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have now lost 7 kilos since march 5. Am happy with that and continued downwards progress.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My elderly duet partner has managed to lose 2 stone over the past year and has given me a very handsome voucher for a well known store to thank me for "all you did". I feel hugely guilty because all it took was sourcing a dinner plate to match her own but smaller and a few recipes.

I've managed to get off a stone in the past year so am almost back to where I should be.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fear than when I step on the scales tomorrow morning, I will find that I have stalled or slightly regressed.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amanda officially begins her return to the Atkins Diet. Goal is to lose 40 pounds by year's end.

(Seems like I always have 40 pounds to lose!) [Frown]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

When Atkins book first came out many years ago, I followed most guidelines during three pregnancies. I put on next to no weight all through each, obstetrician was very happy. Three healthy, full term births and each baby weighed more than I had gained. Not that being pregnant is a concern for Miss Amanda, [Big Grin] , but it shows it does work.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Not that being pregnant is a concern for Miss Amanda, [Big Grin]

Not that she doesn't try. [Devil]

[She'll get her wrap.]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only dropped half a pound this week.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been going up and down (surely one of the proofs of the fallen state of our world is that cocktails have calories!) but am mostly stuck around the 151 lbs. mark. At least I figured out how to make my scale work properly. If you wear shoes it gives you no sass at all, and surely it is appropriate to subtract a pound for said shoes.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have lost 3.7 kg this calendar month and there are still a couple of days left till the end of April. MFP shows a month at a time. That is a kilo/week average since I started on March 5.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Well done.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so fed up with myself, It's time for my 3 month blood test that I usually tack the weigh in onto. Except that this time I know I will have put on a ton because I am not eating so healthily nor have I been exercising as much (sigh). I wish I could blame someone else. (Well with winter coming on the cat is eating more, so I followed her example - yeah - I can see the doctor falling for that. She has a good line in pained looks [Frown] )

Huia

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, I can only sympathise! I'm due my blood test this month and hormones have kicked in after a six month break! (Mean or what.) Still, it explains why no weight loss for a couple of weeks, and why I'm craving chocolate like mad when I've not had any such cravings for months.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waving a bit enthusiastically from the lines.

Lost about a stone in April, but you can't have a baby every month as a weight loss method [Biased] but I do need to engage with the weight loss thing now having basically eaten anything in the past year. Only a few pounds heavier than at the beginning of my pregnancy, but that's ignoring the fact that the start weight was much more than ideal.

so aiming for a month by month downwards trajectory. And trying to avoid breastfeeding at sleep deprivation to eat chocolate All The Time, which was, basically, April.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Stalled the last three weeks. Hard to get those last 5 pounds off.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been struggling with these last five pounds for years.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I will swim for the first time in about 2 years. Hope this is the beginning of a weight reversal, as going up nearly two dress sizes in the same period of time is working out expensive! I am heartened by the thought that a pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle, so even if all that happens is a fat to muscle conversion, I will still be thinner, if not lighter. Or should I post this on the optimism thread?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

[Waterworks] My Nordic Walking class for term 2 has been cancelled due to insufficient enrolments. [Waterworks]

I seriously need to get my act together and I was counting on this to help. Damn - I will have to develop some self discipline.

Huia

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week I swam twice. Stupidly walked distances in sandals not designed for it, and developed blisters which will have to heal before I do distance again. Back to the exercise bike.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried nordic walking today. I loved it, but managed to trip over the poles and go flat on my face. Fortunatly it was onto a softish surface, so apart from a bashed chin no harm was done. It hasn't put me off next week's class.
As for eating, It's back to the 5:2 next week, I've put on nearly a stone since November.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half a kilo on, very pleased as that's after a holiday in Majorca with plenty of wine and puddings [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. I have eaten very little this week, initially because toothache meant it hurt to eat, and then because anti-biotics meant I felt sick when I ate and I have not lost any weight at all.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a serious miscarriage of justice, NEQ. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

C'est la chuffing vie, n'est-ce-pas?*

* That's sodding life, ain't it?

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

More meh. Husband has suggested I might be more susceptible to infections, such as the current dental one, because I am fat.

I'm a life-long non-smoker, and very moderate drinker (about 6 units per month) so my weight is the unhealthiest aspect of my life.

I have a basically healthy diet - I love my veg, and I'm not keen on fried food, but I eat (occasionally binge eat) chocolate in addition to the basically healthy diet.

Is he right?

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

(Husband's point being; it's only a dental infection, but I've been feeling generally rubbish for days, and a simple infection, even one involving pus coming out of my gum, wouldn't be dragging me down so much if I were thinner and healthier.)
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worth taking to the GP to check out? It may not be obesity. Untreated iron deficiency anaemia can make you more prone to infections as iron is involved in the immune system - and other symptoms are tiredness and lack of energy.

Hitting the chocolate/sugar is often a (very bad) way to temporarily stave off fatigue by giving you a sugar rush. (It's not doing me any good as a technique to keep working for longer hours than my body wants to.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Husband's point being; it's only a dental infection, but I've been feeling generally rubbish for days, and a simple infection, even one involving pus coming out of my gum, wouldn't be dragging me down so much if I were thinner and healthier.)

Grrrrrrr. "only a dental infection" can be enough to kill somebody if it gets to the heart. An infection is an infection, and the tiniest ones (witness the cyst I had last month) can be enough to totally knock you out. Do get it treated ASAP, and try not to smack your helpful husband. (My hand is itching...)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

It is being treated; I've been on anti-biotics since Tuesday. The swelling is down, but the infection hasn't completely gone yet. But I have been under-par for over a week, firstly because of the pain, and now because the anti-biotics are making me feel sick, and I'm feeling fairly hacked off.

I had a ridiculous infection last Summer- was in Madrid in a heat wave, knew to keep drinking water but didn't know to increase my salt uptake and ended up with heat exhaustion and a kidney infection, which also knocked the stuffing out of me.

I wonder if I would have avoided both infections if I wasn't obese?

My nails and water line in my eye are pink, so I don't think I'm anaemic.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

North East Quine, I do believe that if a person is at a healthier weight that the infections don't take as long to recover from. Having lost a lot of weight without wanting to, I can tell you that it isn't just weight that makes a person healthy though. I'm now taking drugs that suppress my immune system and my biggest fear is getting an infection.

I firmly believe in taking small steps to wellness. If Oprah, with all her resources still struggles to keep the weight off, I think a little kindness to ourselves would go a long way.

So much of weight and self-perception is tied up in mental health. I think keeping a food diary, weighing yourself on a regular basis, buying healthy foods to keep in the house all the time, and building in opportunities to get moving are keys to long term success. I also think it is a good idea to make friends with people who eat and move the way you would like to. It doesn't help to be tempted all the time. Be kind to yourself!

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I saw my primary care provider back in October, we talked about what I need to do to manage my health, reduce risks, etc. She suggested that I lose weight to bring my cholesterol down (probably won't work, as I have hereditary high cholesterol), and that I try an anti-inflammatory diet to deal with the pain in my shoulder.

I told her that I couldn't manage the amount of change required to do both at once. And since I'm more motivated by eliminating pain than by reducing cholesterol levels, I'd try the anti-inflammatory diet first.

It's not a diet to make one feel deprived. There's nothing ascetic about it. But I have lost about 10 pounds on the diet, without any attempt to lose weight at all.

Which surprised me. I wasn't expecting that.

I'm not sure that there will be any further weight loss on the diet. But I like the reduction in pain I get with it, and I'm going to stay on it.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I wonder if I would have avoided both infections if I wasn't obese?

Who knows. But I struggle with blaming myself constantly for every bad medical thing that happens to me, because I've been told lifelong that "it's because you're fat" (subtext: why the hell don't you get your act together). And logically EVERYTHING can't be the result of obesity, can it? In fact, obesity might be the result of some of these THINGS, whatever they are. (Yes, Mom, my genetic joint issues might actually be a partial cause of the obesity instead of more evidence that I'm a fat slacker and deserve all the shame I get.)

I do wish people in my life would refrain from telling me what I know damn well already (or fear may be true, as the case may be). It doesn't inspire me to somehow overcome the major metabolic and physical challenges I face. It makes me want to give up and hide.

[ 15. May 2016, 16:50: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And just how sylph-like is husband?

And how delighted would he be if you announced that all family catering would now be subordinated to your dietary needs?

Guilting people about their weight never works (believe me, doctors have been trying it on me for years). At the moment particularly, food and wine provide more than just nutrition: they are a stay and a comfort and a refuge. Eat what you need, I say.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I am two stone heavier and three inches shorter than the North East Man. He's carrying too much weight, but not nearly as much as I am. I think he is genuinely concerned (as am I) that a nasty toothache and infection and a course of antibiotics has wiped out my energy as much as it has.

Professionally he is expected to get to the point and problem-solve decisively. He is very good at this. Hence his crisp analysis of the problem - NEQ is fat - and his solution - NEQ needs to lose weight. He's not trying to guilt me.

I'm just hoping that he's wrong and the horrible toothache and my obesity aren't linked.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I hope so too. Mr. Lamb DOES try to guilt me, "for my own good." He believes shame and guilt to be effective motivators. Why he still believes this after thirty years of marriage I don't know.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I saw my Dr last Friday he asked me how much walking I did and then told me it's not enough. This morning the alarm went off for me to go for my morning walk and I just couldn't be bothered.

These things may well be connected.

If he'd said "Well done, but please try and do a little more" things may well have been different.

My previous Dr, in the city, was very obese yet tried to advise me on my diet.

Truly physician, heal thyself!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still get your GP to check it out properly. My nutritionist sister worked for a while in an obesity clinic in Glasgow. Something like half the women referred for dietary advice had other problems, like underactive thyroids, which needed treatment first, and also are implicated in the immune system. The referring GPs gad not checked properly before referral.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I put on half a kilo on my holidays ~ not bad, but I'm back at it now.

I love the slimming world online recipes. They use spray oil for cooking and quark for sauces etc, which means most meals are very 'normal'. There is still a severe lack of cake, biscuits and bread, of course!

I'm still going to the gym 4 days a week. I can't say I like it but it's only an hour so I continue to force myself to go.

Onwards and downwards!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ

Have you thought of keeping a food diary? I do not mean the calorie counting sort but the sort that just notes what you eat, when, what you are doing, and how you feel. The reason is that the way you describe chocolate eating it sounds to me as if it is compulsive.

Now I do that for two reasons, boredom/procrastination or when I become overdrawn either because I was pre-migraine or because I had had a very stressful day with poor eating discipline. Boredom/procrastination I then tackled by finding activities that meant I was away from food and making sure opportunities for snacking are limited.

The overdrawn sort was far harder. At first, I identified the likely day and actually took low sugar snacks with me as well as trying to find food that supported healthy eating during the day. I did not beat myself up when I had compulsive eating. I praised myself when I was able to exchange crisps for jelly babies as my compulsive eat. For me, this is in part, due to sugar balance for me (I suspect a temporary relative blood sugar low or sudden drop). Long term I needed to change my lifestyle and eating pattern. I needed a complex pattern including exercise, reducing sugar (not totally removing) all through my diet (to create a better spread of energy available during the day), some supplements and within that context loosing weight. That is an ongoing battle and I lost a skirmish last week.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Same here JJ

I find regular snacks of fruit help keep the sugar balance. Frozen raspberries and quark is delicious ~ just like ice cream.

One biscuit and I eat the whole packet, so I just make sure they are unavailable.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Originally posted by Jengie jon:

quote:
Have you thought of keeping a food diary? I do not mean the calorie counting sort but the sort that just notes what you eat, when, what you are doing, and how you feel. The reason is that the way you describe chocolate eating it sounds to me as if it is compulsive.
Today started out fine; toast, orange juice and coffee for breakfast. I'm working from home, on a pleasantly busy and interesting but not difficult indexing job.

Then I get a phone call from a relative in the throes of a sudden-onset psychotic attack. We have the sort of very odd conversation that veers from the mundane to Satanic worldwide conspiracy and eternal damnation and back again. I have a "script" for when this happens, and it seems to have worked, but I fully expect another phone call later. I am desperately concerned about my relative.

I desperately want chocolate. There's none in the house, but there is cocoa, so I've had some. There's a full fruit bowl, but that doesn't appeal. Chocolate is my go-to; if I nip out to the shop I could have a faceful of Dairy Milk ten minutes from now.

If I were a better Christian I would be seeking solace in prayer, not food, but, you are right, "compulsive" is how I feel.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I find that when I keep the carbs to a minimum and eat mostly protein, the sugar cravings are far fewer.

A good breakfast followed by a protein laden lunch really help stave off the cravings off later on.

It's been a slow build up of good habits, it by no means happened overnight.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey its chocolate, when I can make do with chocolate it means I am starting to get control, Full on cravings for me are for sugar gums (e.g. wine gums, fruit pastilles, wriggly worms); stuff I do not even like at other times.

Right first of all my current emergency chocolate recipe is up on the recipe thread.

It is slightly cunning in that it probably has less sugar than most manufactured chocolate (I have specified sugar free cocoa and you can get sugar free peanut butter, therefore the sugars are all in the basic ingredients). The chocolate taste is pleasant. What it does is give a more complex GI profile than a chocolate bar, so not quite the immediate sugar high but a longer one. I am not claiming it is healthy but probably healthier than a chocolate bar while still giving you the hit and if ingredients are at home probably can be got in under 10 minutes.

Secondly, I am going to suggest that you are self-medicating rather than cravings. You are down and anxious so you reach for the known fix. Chocolate does provide a short term fix but long term lets you wanting more. One trick is to try and get yourself some protein and complex carbohydrate after you have got your chocolate. If you do that you are less likely to cycle into more chocolate.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Protein and complex carbohydrates? Sounds like fish'n chips. On top of chocolate, the results could act as aversion therapy

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Cheese/tuna sandwich with wholemeal bread works and are cheap and easy.

Jengie

[ 26. May 2016, 15:46: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016