homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Want to lose some weight? (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Want to lose some weight?
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SM, I use a Fitbit - I find it a lot of fun in terms of competing with Mr. S for steps, stairs etc; it's fun to try and get all your readings to go green; but the sleep function isn't reliable! Either it thinks because I am not actually waving my arms about, I'm genuinely asleep; or if I set it to 'sensitive' it thinks I only sleep about 3 hours/night!

Mrs S - I know I'm a bad sleeper, but seriously?

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The group leader sounded surprised when she said "You've come back!" at jogscotland last night. Last night was better, partly because I knew what to expect. I was still the least fit person there, but comforted myself that I was also one of the oldest. I'd guess the average age as late thirties / early forties.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surfing Madness

Make sure it does what you want it to do. In your case, this includes altitude, in my case it was to count swimming. The result was I had to read the small print. The only one at the time that did swimming was the Misfit Shine.

I also adopted a Polar Loop back in the days when the H7 was supposed to be waterproof and works with the Loop. I still have it but the H7 has given up and they no longer claim to work for swimming (neither the H7 nor the polar flow are particularly water friendly).

I think, wanting altitude will push you towards a sports watch.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK

I'm on the route to cutting out sugar as much as possible, and this includes bread, which is full of sugar.

So, instead of sodas or fruit juice I'm having fizzy water with a splash of lemon juice.

I've cut coffees to two a day and I'm trying to have sweetners instead of sugar.

I'm eating lots of fruit but no high sugar ones like bananas or mangoes.

No cake, no sweets, no chocolate except a small piece of 80% after my main meal.

I'm eating normal fats and oils as they are no longer the 'bad boys' of healthy eating.

Nuts for snacks.

Wish me luck!!

[Two face]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
OK

I'm on the route to cutting out sugar as much as possible, and this includes bread, which is full of sugar.

You might find this article to be of interest - not that it comes from an entirely disinterested source!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
OK

You might find this article to be of interest - not that it comes from an entirely disinterested source!
Well, I make my own bread, so I know exactly how much sugar goes into it - the dough doesn't rise without it.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But you can make bread without sugar at all - you just need more time.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I make my own bread, so I know exactly how much sugar goes into it - the dough doesn't rise without it.

I make French sticks, which have no sugar at all - just water, flour, salt and yeast - and they're just about the nicest bread I've ever tasted, though I say it what shouldn't.

I make the dough in the bread-machine (which does all the hard work), and the cycle takes the best part of 2 hours, but you can go and do something else while it gets on with it, and the therapeutic rolling-and-forming part is absolutely magic. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie:
quote:
Well, I make my own bread, so I know exactly how much sugar goes into it - the dough doesn't rise without it.
I make my own bread too, and if I use sugar I only put 1 teaspoon in (per 1.5 kg of flour). It's the yeast that makes the bread rise; the sugar just gives the yeast something easy to feed on to kick-start the process.

My favourite recipe is one which doesn't use sugar at all. It takes between 45 and 90 minutes for the dough to double in size, depending on the weather.

[eta] If you're using the quick-mix yeast, you need to use about twice as much as it says on the packet to get a decent result. It doesn't work as well as fresh yeast, or even the dried yeast.

[ 01. September 2016, 07:58: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sugar is only part of the problem. Carbohydrates are more than just sugar. I still eat some, but have fairly heavily cut them. No bread or biscuits for months. I rarely ate sweet stuff, but since cutting back on carbs, the weight has just fallen off and it is easy to stick to. I do not feel deprived and I do not snack and am not tempted to. Plenty of food, not just enough to feed a sparrow. Just finishing a glass of red with my dinner.

[ 01. September 2016, 08:32: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have kicked out most carbs now except porridge and pulses.

I have one sandwich a week as a treat.

Oil, cheese, butter and cream are back on the menu, so food is much tastier and I'm not missing the sugar and carbs. Apparently the sugar and carbs cause the cravings.

This book is really helping 'tho I'm not doing the eight week version yet, just the general diet.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Atkins is looking down from heaven and chuckling, "I told you so!"

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Dr. Atkins is looking down from heaven and chuckling, "I told you so!"

Indeed! We did the Atkins for a while and lost a lot of weight very quickly on it, but it didn't suit my system in the long term. I can still remember standing in the kitchen one morning feeling physically sick at the prospect of bacon and eggs for breakfast yet again.

I've got that Michael Mosely book and it seems to make a lot of sense, although I need to up my activity as an important part of things. An hour of zumba once a week is better than nothing, but I have a sedentary job, and would always rather read a book than do anything active.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh, that eating a high protein diet helps you lose weight has been known about since the 19th Century. The problem is usually that it is short in other nutrients. In particular, it is likely to lead to kidneys having problems processing of the extra protein. Guess how the medics found this out.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I can still remember standing in the kitchen one morning feeling physically sick at the prospect of bacon and eggs for breakfast yet again.

Doesn't have to be. I prefer bacon to sausage, but will swap out my breakfast bacon for sausage just for a change of pace. And there are many ways you can fix eggs: fried, poached, scrambled, boiled, omelet. And speaking of omelets, you can fold almost anything into one: asparagus, broccoli, corn, mushrooms, peppers and onions, spinach, string beans, etc. And of course always with cheese. I prefer Swiss but will use Cheddar sometimes.

And the Atkins breakfast doesn't **have** to be bacon and eggs. There are several relatively low-carb low-glycemic cereals you can enjoy with cream or half-and-half: puffed wheat, rice or millet; bran flakes; flax flakes. I'm partial to Corn Chex myself.

And you can always enjoy a dish of strawberries and sour cream and a high-fiber muffin with plenty of butter and sugar-free jam.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried the Atkins diet years ago, and while I loved the steaks and the duck with red wine and cream sauce and French beans, it didn't really work for me - I couldn't quite get my brain round the idea of having all that meat but no potatoes, pasta, rice or bread.

Having said that, a (male) friend of ours lost loads of weight on it (but has since put most of it back on).

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last week, I felt for a short time as Nenya has described. Then I realised that for years I had raw rolled oats with a tiny amount of milk to moisten them for breakfast. Occasionally I would cook them and have porridge for breakfast. Different foods but same principle.

Miss Amanda has also mentioned variations. I was planning on this but she has done a great job. I will add just one variation. I often mix an egg with some ricott and/or some cream. I add just enough almond or hazelnut meal to make it less runny and cook. Sometimes. With vegetables, always with grated tasty cheddar or grated reggiano. This is a very filling meal and the nut meal is something quite different. Leftover cooked vegetables are good to add and breakfast is quicker because they are already cooked. Sometimes it just happens, sometimes I cook more deliberately.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's years since we did the Atkins and I expect it has been modified, and we never moved beyond the induction phase. That meant any sort of muffin was a no-no. Also any fruit, and any vegetable high in sugar, such as corn. It suited Mr Nen - who really doesn't need to lose weight - very well. I know carbs are my downfall, but I can't cut them as drastically as the Atkins seems to require.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
It's years since we did the Atkins and I expect it has been modified, and we never moved beyond the induction phase. That meant any sort of muffin was a no-no. Also any fruit, and any vegetable high in sugar, such as corn.

The diet has been modified over the years, but still you have to take it with a grain of sugar, so to speak.

Non-soluble (non-digestible) fiber may be subtracted from the carbohydrate count of a food. So a muffin high in non-digestible fiber is OK so long as the digestible carbohydrate count is reasonably low. Also, a tablespoon of corn in an omelet is not the same as two ears of corn at dinner.

The induction phase is admittedly almost impossible to stick to, but you will still lose weight (albeit at a slower pace) if you exceed the carbohydrate limit by a gram or two.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a 5k and 10k here at the weekend. Tonight several people showed up at jogscotland "absolute beginners" class wearing their 5k T-shirts and one person was wearing a 10k.

Another week of being the slowest, most unfit person there.

Possibly going to a charity fundraising Afternoon Tea and eating sausage rolls, traybakes and tablet three hours before the class didn't help.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
There was a 5k and 10k here at the weekend. Tonight several people showed up at jogscotland "absolute beginners" class wearing their 5k T-shirts and one person was wearing a 10k.

Another week of being the slowest, most unfit person there.

Possibly going to a charity fundraising Afternoon Tea and eating sausage rolls, traybakes and tablet three hours before the class didn't help.

NEQ, some encouragement. You say you are possibly the slowest etc. However, you are trying to change things. There are quite possibly others at the class who could say the same as you for their condition when they started.

It may be that there is something else available which suits you better and is a better fit for your abilities. I have no idea if anything else is available for you, just an idea. You might then be more motivated to continue.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The jogscotland "absolute beginners" (ha!) suits me because it's in a park very close to my home, it's cheap (£1 a session), it's on a Monday night, which I have free, and it only lasts for 45 mins.

You are right, though. I should make an effort to find out what else is available. I enjoy walking and I'm in the ideal place to do a lot of walking, but I feel guilty going out for a nice walk when the grass needs cutting / the house is a mess etc. Last week I had an appointment in the nearest town, so I walked there (4 miles) and then went shopping (another mile or so).

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ - I'd recommend looking into nordic walking as it's walking that also helps your upper body and can be a very pleasant social exercise as well. I've recently taken it up and as well as walking with a group have started walking on my own round the local park which I found far more enjoyable than I thought I would.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Walking is good, even if I haven't done any today. I find it restful and it doesn't aggravate my knees, like cycling does, and I am not about to start running or jogging in this climate!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

North East Quine

Might following something like this actually help?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you feel that you are getting something out of the jog scotland thing, keep doing it. Don't worry about being behind the other attenders, instead count yourself ahead of the people who are unfit but haven't started to do anything about it. When it comes to next year's 5k, you can have your own tee shirt.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... I feel guilty going out for a nice walk when the grass needs cutting ...

I'd have thought that (depending on the size of your garden) that cutting the grass would be quite good exercise in itself. Not as enjoyable as a nice walk, admittedly, but think how virtuous you'd feel - nice smart garden and burning off a few calories! [Smile]

This may be one of the reasons that we like houses that don't have gardens ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Christmas has come early. After losing so much and still losing, although more slowly, my clothes were dangerously big. I mean dangerously, I was tripping on them, even with waistband folded over a couple of times.

I ordered some cheap things online from two reputable shops. DIL has just delivered the packages to me. All fit and I have something for summer which will be on us all too soon. Nothing expensive, I intend these to be an interim measure, but these all fit, three or four sides down from what I have been wearing.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3 or 4 sizes??? [Eek!] [Eek!]

Well done Lothorien [Yipee] [Overused]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
3 or 4 sizes??? [Eek!] [Eek!]

Well done Lothorien [Yipee] [Overused]

Huia

Yep. Long overdue.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently I went for my annual blood pressure check. The BP level was OK, there were only the usual three or four jabs to try and locate a vein for the blood extraction to test kidney function. And then, the gloomiest-in-prospect moment of the lot. The scales. And the practice nurse announced that I'd lost a stone since the previous year's check!

That's being able to walk properly. Thank you, new hips. (And NHS and in particular the brilliant consultant/surgeon who transforms lives.) [Yipee]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done and congratulations.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am now in the "Healthy weight" section of the BMI chart. Only just, and it keeps meandering by a couple of pounds upwards, then down again, but I am hoping by the time I get to the next medical check it will have settled to a little lower still as my scales seem to be about 4lbs lower than the ones at the surgery.

It's been a long, slow process, apart from the rapid phase pre-diabetes diagnosis, and relatively rapid for a while after whilst battling the blood sugars (and when weight loss, for me, was totally secondary to that one!), but as I reminded myself, it took from aged 13 - 35 to get to morbidly obese, (via a short spell in my early 20s when it was back at healthy again) then from 49 to 51 to get back to a healthy weight. It's not so bad, really.

Lothlorien, I can totally sympathise with the clothes problem. I kept one pair of jeans in every size for a "Yes, I did once fit into these" photo - there were 8 pairs of jeans on that drying rack, all from one of two places with similar sizing, and I'm on the verge of trying the next size smaller still!

[ 28. October 2016, 09:21: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I hate clothes shopping, so I tend to pay for quality materials an workmanship, then keep them a long time. However, my winter clothes were now baggy and floppy and falling down. They were dangerous too and that was the last straw when I caught my foot in the hem I had turned up and nearly fell.

Because of postal problems here, I sent them to DIL's Mum's address. They were dropped off yesterday to me.

They will be fine for this summer and I will probably pass them on. It was heartbreaking to ditch what had been a favourite pair of pants. Good material and a colour I loved. However they really were past wearing anywhere except at home, and then they started to fall down. DIL put them in bin yesterday.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I've done a full month now on the 'no sugar' diet and I'm quite amazed.

We had a coffee morning yesterday in our house, there were cakes galore here from Thursday to this morning when I took the surplus to Church.

I wasn't temped at all, not even slightly - I could look at the cake stands heaving with gorgeous goodies and think 'I don't care'. I wasn't resisting temptation - I wasn't tempted at all. A miracle indeed.

6Kg to go to target. Every single gram is round my middle like a swimming ring [Roll Eyes]

(PS we raised £200 - yay!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done Boogie. I agree about not being tempted about goodies. I do not have a sweet tooth at all and have always preferred savoury things. However, I find no temptation to snack at all. Savoury or sweet.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Two posts in a row but a month apart. Things must have slowed down a bit.

I was on a plateau for a while as far numbers went although body shape was changing and once snug clothes became looser without weight apparently being lost .

However, another kilo down and another dress size gone. I rarely buy expensive clothes for myself but yesterday I bought a lovely emerald green dress with lace hem and cuffs. A present for myself, much more expensive than I would usually spend but I am happy and excited about it. Many years ago I had something in similar colour and I loved it.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This summer at my low point I was actually within shouting distance of my goal. Over the past month (Thanksgiving) I've alas bounced back up again. I would like to lose 5 lbs before Xmas, another period of appalling danger.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good results Loth, and a lovely way to celebrate.

I need to take myself in hand. It's not so much the danger of Christmas, it's more that I have eaten most of the meals I froze to use at times when I was disorganised and I haven't replaced them. This means I'm more likely to eat less healthily, unless I go on a cooking and freezing blitz soon... so that's the weekend sorted [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

New year, new start. I logged into MFP for the first time in months, to discover that the last time I logged in I was 16 stone 8, and I'm currently 16 stone 5.

A good start!

I've borrowed a friend's fitbit zip and like it, so I'm going to buy myself a fitbit and do the 10,000 steps a day thing for January.

[ 04. January 2017, 12:42: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't weighed myself yet this year, but judging by the fit of my clothes I've put on half a stone or so over the last few weeks. I'm trying to get into a routine of eating sensibly, rather than dieting and making sure I do more exercise.I was doing really well witht he 10,000 steps a day until a nasty virus hit last week and I just didn't want to move much. Still feeling a bt grim, but I've just booked up for my zumba class tomorrow and hope to start to get back in the swing of things, sooner rather than later.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So have I. A tour of family, all over the US, with the attendant celebratory meals, has pushed me up there again. Time to lose it all and maybe even gain a little ground.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A kilo decided it was going to be a Christmas present to me this year. It has now been sent packing. I am glad that is all it was. Being summer, we have lots of good salads etc and cold meats. Much easier than baked potatoes and other stodge for helping with the diet. I never eat Christmas pudding or other such food, so got off fairly lightly.

The emerald dress mentioned above was a great success. Everyone loved it. What is more was that I felt really good in it. That always is encouraging and an incentive. When I got out of car at my niece's where we were for family occasion, my niece said, "Half the woman, you once were." I haven't seen her for a year, since last Christmas.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've decided I'm far too big and joined Slimming World today. If I can only lose 1lb per week, but consistently, I will be well pleased.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Another kilo down this morning. I try not to get on scales often as it can be discouraging and not always accurate. Longer times between weighing in allows a bit of averaging out.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All my favourite clothes are too tight and I need to lose weight. Over the festive season I stuck to eating healthy light salads and grilled chicken, fish, lamb chops, a little smoked salmon, grilled and sliced duck breasts with cranberry and orange sauce, iced gazpacho. I ate fresh fruit rather than ice cream for dessert. It was too hot for heavy meals -- I cooked for the household and guests but didn't over-indulge at meals. In-between was another story.

The problem is my snacking habit. While sitting in a deck chair in the garden reading Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty, I nibbled on cashew nuts and sampled a not-yet-ripe enough Brie. Back and forth I went from the kitchen cupboards all day with handfuls of dried apricots and a spoonful or two of hummous, some left-over smoked salmon on crackers, more dried apricots, half a jar of smoked red peppers, some cheese straws and grissini, a forkful of cold roast chicken. Nothing adds on weight as sneakily as food that doesn't count.

Now the fridge and pantry is emptier and I just need to stop making little snacks and treats for everyone. I woke up this morning thinking about a bamboo steamer packed with pork-prawny-spring-oniony dim sum rather than steamed broccoli.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

MaryLouise, once I cut the savoury biscuits, breakfast cereal and other carbs, the weight came off quickly. The rate has slowed down a bit but is still going down. I eat healthy foods, rarely snack, have wine and G&Ts. I rarely ate dessert so that was not missed. If I am out and am served some, I cannot believe how sweet ti is. Was given trifle on Boxing Day family lunch. Fortunately it was a very small serve as I had trouble eating it and definitely did not like it at all, but family is family at such times.

I had the opposite trouble to you with clothes. Trousers fell down as I walked, tops fell off shoulder etc I bought enough clothes to ring a few changes but some of them were five sizes smaller than nine months ago. Some of those pieces I bought are getting too big. I have now lost over twenty kilos in nine months.

I can honestly say I do not find this hard. I eat plenty of food. Lots of cheese of all types, fish especially salmon, bacon. Lots of vegetables. Butter on my asparagus etc.Rarely feel the need or even desire to snack. I am healthy and sleeping better than I have done for years.

[ 07. January 2017, 09:15: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lothlorien, that is so encouraging to read. I have had long periods of time when I have been thinner and much fitter without it taking undue effort. As you point out, it is all about cutting out the troublemakers.

Embarrassed to read over my post and see the foodie fixation -- I must also stop reading cookbooks and watching Masterchef, Great British Bake-Off etc on TV.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loth, you and I are sharing the same approach! Except, as a vegetarian, I'm eating eggs and some mushrooms or soya based protein in place of meat. I'm also eating plant-based yogurts with some double cream and a few berries for puddings when I want one. I only have a mouthful of anything with sugar in when I'm about to go for a long walk.

Who'd have thunk I'd've lost 8 stone eating as much full fat stuff as I now do. (For those who think my cholesterol must be through the roof, it's not. It's in the perfectly acceptable range, though as a diabetic, my doctor will keep muttering about statins and I will keep politely refusing.)

I've also slowed up but could do with losing another half stone to make the surgery scales show my weight as in the healthy BMI range. If I've done that by next Christmas, we'll all be happy.

I was tidying up the overalls cupboard at work this week, and got the shock of my life to realise the Small size fitted, whereas two years ago we struggled to find with one enough Xs in the size for me. (I went with 3Xs and only did it up when I had to.)

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Thank you for your inspiring stories, Lothlorien and Japes. I embarked on a low carb programme this week. I decided that's going to be best for me as I have a real sweet tooth and as I'm overweight with a family history of type 2 diabetes I'm a prime candidate. We've lived on baked salmon and baked chicken and roast vegetables this week and I've invested in an appropriate cookery book so that Mr Nen doesn't run screaming for pizza before the end of next week. [Biased]

So far we've been doing well with ginger ale and lime and soda in wine glasses as a replacement for wine with our meals. For the first time ever those mixers I buy at Christmas won't end up out of date and poured down the sink in October.

I have three stone to lose before I'll be anything near a healthy weight for my height but am trying to see this as a healthy eating plan as well as a weight loss one.

Tomorrow is weighing day... [Eek!]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016