homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Animal companions in our happy homes (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Animal companions in our happy homes
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for all with vet issues.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] For Gill and Spikey.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took Tobey to the vet today for his annual checkup, since he's 14 years old. He has high blood pressure! I pointed out that he loathes riding in the cat carrier, hates cars, and despises veterinary offices with all of his feline heart. They agreed that maybe it was just situational, but if he has high blood pressure next checkup Something Has To Be Done. I brought him home and he is now lounging in the sun in his favorite bed. I bet if they took his blood pressure now it'd be perfect.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I took Tobey to the vet today for his annual checkup, since he's 14 years old. He has high blood pressure! I pointed out that he loathes riding in the cat carrier, hates cars, and despises veterinary offices with all of his feline heart. They agreed that maybe it was just situational, but if he has high blood pressure next checkup Something Has To Be Done. I brought him home and he is now lounging in the sun in his favorite bed. I bet if they took his blood pressure now it'd be perfect.

I once had to explain to my doctor's nurse that my BP was high because I'd been left sitting in the waiting room for over half an hour. It's the only time in my life that my BP has been high, so I sympathize with Tobey.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keir was attacked in the park yesterday.

It was a large grey Staffie mix. It grabbed Keir’s muzzle and wouldn’t let go. The owner prized it’s mouth open eventually after what seemed an age. It was probably thirty seconds. Keir was screaming.

I walked straight to the vet with him and, luckily, he just has one puncture wound above his lip.

The young man with the dog was a very nice lad. The dog has been recently rescued from a dog fighting ring. I strongly recommended that he keep the dog on a lead and muzzle her. He said he felt mean to do that. I said he’d feel far worse if the dog were taken off him. I gave him lots of tips on muzzle training - let’s hope he takes it on board.

My fear now, of course, is that Keir is affected mentally by his ordeal. Soon after this he met three dogs and had a little play with each of them. Touch wood these happy encounters helped to erase the memory of the attack. I think I’m more shaken up than he was, my hands won’t stop shaking.

I was carless so phoned a taxi to get us home, as Keir had had three injections - anti inflammatory, antibiotic and pain killer - so I didn’t want him to have the stress of walking home on top of that.

The taxi refused us [Frown]

So the vet very kindly brought us home in her land rover, bless her xx. I’m going to take a big box of chocolates in for them later.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keir (and Boogie)
[Votive]

Your vet
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda is there a visiting vet nurse in your area? Sneaking up on him in his own surroundings might be the way to go.

On the other hand if my blood pressure was taken last time I wrangled G-P to the vet I think I may have ended up in the emergency room. The difficulty is that I tend to be more uptight which she senses and acts accordingly.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Keir and Boogie.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would seem that cats can suffer White Coat Syndrome just like us! [Smile]

Boogie, that does sound scary. Poor, brave Keir - is he your current potential guide dog?

[Votive] for both of you (and for the Staffie and her owner - I hope she doesn't get into any more trouble).

edited for punctuation

[ 02. December 2017, 20:08: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie, sorry I missed your post (went away in the middle of composing mine).

[Votive] for a complete physical and emotional healing for Keir.

Huia

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Keir! Hope he feels better emotionally and physically soon!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Boogie and Keir)

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all.

So far Keir has shown no signs of trauma. We went on a lovely canal walk on Sunday and met lots of dogs, Keir was his normal self, friendly and keen to play. He was fascinated by the still, mirror like canal water, I thought he was about to jump in - all our water walks are by rivers streams and reservoirs with very wavy or rushing water.

I went to the same park yesterday and he showed no hesitation at all.

Looks like all the trauma was mine. I will be very wary of staffie types in future, I found the way it would not let go very horrible.

Our canal walk which ended with a lovely cafe lunch in a fabulous dog-friendly cafe is featured in ‘My Walk’ blog [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a lovely dog. [Axe murder]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My beloved Great Dane had to be put to sleep yesterday. He was suffering in the heat and his larynx was not healing, there was really no choice. The vet very kind and we sat with our dog stroking him and saying goodbye, but we are devastated. Such a lovable gentle giant.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear that, MaryLouise.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Very sorry to hear that, MaryLouise.

RIP, gentle giant. [Tear]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sad news, MaryLouise.

(eta: 4 words, and still miss a letter)

[ 09. December 2017, 07:40: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

So sorry to hear that MaryLouise [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How sad for you MaryLouise. hugs.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Hugs, MaryLouise. That's the worst thing (perhaps the only bad thing) about having a dog.

[Votive]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry, MaryLouise.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for your loss MaryLouise. [Tear]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry, MaryLouise. [Frown]
You were so kind to end his suffering, even though it hurts your heart. [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I am so sorry, MaryLouise.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Thank you so much for the sympathy, everyone. The saddest and most subdued weekend I've had in a long time.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

MaryLouise I sorry to hear that. It's hard saying goodbye.

Be gentle with yourself - grieving is hard work.

Huia

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mary Louise, so sorry to hear this sad news. [Votive]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Thanks so much, Huia and Anselmina. We miss him so much.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Guest cat has gone home. There is a guest cat shaped dent in my sofa [Tear]
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will you get to visit Guest Cat, kingsfold? You are a very special cat friend to take such good care of GC. (They do worm themselves into our hearts, don't they?) [Tear]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if I will see much of Guest Cat now.
Funny thing is, I have always said I'm a dog person, and really never expected to be able to live with a cat as I have some allergy issues. But Guest Cat didn't set them off and so he came to stay...

And after giving him eye meds at least twice a day for about 8 weeks, I do admit to a moment or two of schadenfreude as Guest Cat's human said he (GC) saw the tube of ointment and promptly exited through the cat flap! [Snigger]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Kingsfold allergies and cats can be strange. I once took both the cats to the Vet, he dealt with the first one and he was ok, but started sneezing badly when he came to deal with the other one and said that he was only allergic to some cats. Both were domestic short hair, but Patchy's fur was a bit longer than Tig's. Also you may have grown out of the allergy, one of my relations did.

I took Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy to the vet for a blood test to check her response to her hyperthyroid medication and asked for her to be weighed. While her thyroid levels are normal (so the meds are working) she has lost weight which is a worry ( she was a stray that I named before I realised that she was not overweigh, just more fluffy than I thought she was). It could be the hot weather we have had, or a raft of not very pleasant possibilities. We will review in the new year, [Confused] [Waterworks]

Huia

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I’m allergic to the oil cats rub on things from their scent gland on the side of their head. As long as I stay clear of that I’m fine.

I’d love a kitten but Mr Boots says NO CATS!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spikey is doing well. The vet wants her to gain some weight, so we tried swapping her expensive 'ageing 12 plus' sachets of food (ordered online in bulk to save money) for some 'posh supermarket food for senior cats' instead. She cleaned the dish and now turns up her nose at the expensive stuff! So I've just taken four boxes to the local food bank, as someone's kitty might as well have them.

She has also developed a taste for a product called Lick-e-lix, which is a yoghurt-type cream in a tube. Very useful for hiding the supplement which is supposed to calm her down at night (which I'm not convinced works, but hey...)

And as of last night, she has discovered YouTube videos for cats! I played her the 'catching fish' one and she was fascinated.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

There are YouTube videos for cats? (Yay Spikey!)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear Spikey's doing well. Maybe she just needed a little feline stimulation, and the you-tube video fitted the bill! [Smile]

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

This is the one she seems to like:

Cat Games - Catching Fish

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
This is the one she seems to like:

Cat Games - Catching Fish

Thank you. I'll try it on the resident feline later on.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I have just applied - and, after the mandatory interview, been accepted - to adopt an 8-month-old feline. (I actually went with the idea of adopting a different one, but she was black like the current resident cat - which would make identifying suspects that much more difficult - and her rival came and, without any urging, sat down on my lap.)

I'm to pick her up on Tuesday morning. Note to self and offspring units: No fragile ornaments on the tree this year.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
...her rival came and, without any urging, sat down on my lap.

Pets often choose you, rather than the other way around.
[Smile]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
]Pets often choose you, rather than the other way around.
[Smile]

It always worked for my mother. She chose the kitten who fell asleep on her lap, and (much later) the puppy who fell asleep on her foot, and they were both eminently satisfactory beasties.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I am about to start the process of adopting a cat in need of a home. Wish me luck everyone!

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I am about to start the process of adopting a cat in need of a home. Wish me luck everyone!

Brava!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, Nicole! May you and your new boss have many happy years together! [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:

Brava!
Exciting times!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

So exciting, Nicolemr. A kitten?

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've probably said this before - but tie the Christmas tree to the wall.
Good luck to those taking in a new home dominator.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

That is very happy news, Nicolemr!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nicole, I hope you and the right cat choose each other well.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016