homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Animal companions in our happy homes (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Animal companions in our happy homes
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just rang the SPCA.

Cloud was too badly injured to save. He is now pain free.

Huia.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10173 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry for your loss, Huia.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11690 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always such mixed feelings at a time like this, Huia. Sorry for your loss.
Posts: 289 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry. [Votive] [Frown]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17868 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

RIP Cloud.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2565 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 7827 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry [Tear]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12747 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear that, Huia.

RIP Cloud. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19787 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear, the puppy has gone and I am weeping. Why do I do this to myself?

I know why, it's the best job and best fun in the world, a super challenge and a great excuse for visiting many cafes etc and asking all and sundry to join you. It's a brilliant way to have 'colleagues' and a reason to chat about our obsession together. Best of all you get the most beautiful, intelligent puppies to care for.

Of course, the end result is new 'eyes' and a very special companion for a VI or blind person, which is, for them, an absolute life changer.

My head says all that, but my heart says 'ouch, you broke me yet again' [Tear]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie, God bless you for giving these puppies a great start on their careers! The people these animals help have much improved lives, and it wouldn't be possible without people like you who allow your hearts to be captured, then broken when they advance to the next stage.
<3

--------------------

Posts: 17868 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJ's absolutely right, Boogie - what you and your fellow trainers do for the puppies is a godsend to the people who will ultimately be their humans.

You wouldn't be normal if you didn't feel a bit broken-hearted whenever your students graduate.

Give Tatze a big hug, and look forward to your next charge.

{{Boogie}}

--------------------

Posts: 19787 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Thank you both xx

I have news about Gypsy. She has been withdrawn due to her owner becoming very ill and unable to keep her. This caused Gypsy some stress and the team decided it wouldn't be fair to train her with a new owner.

The good news is that Gypsy's trainer fell for her and she's now living with her as her forever dog. She's sent me some lovely photos.

She said "Gypsy is now no longer the property of guide dogs and is now a fully fledged member of the family. She definitely has her little paws under the table now and is loving a pets life. My mum adores her and spoils her rotten, she loves my old Swiss Shep and has great fun when I bring other guide dogs home (she's still bossy). I've attached some pics, she really likes my nan (87yrs) and the sofa he he and she has a ball too."

It's wonderful to see Gypsy so happy and healthy, but sad she couldn't continue to guide as she was a star at it.

I was offered her first but, very reluctantly and with very mixed feelings said no, as I would have had to stop puppy walking. When they told me her trainer wanted her I was really pleased.

Here is her blog.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our beloved George cat went missing on Saturday night...He is a house cat, allowed on the balcony, and he dissappeared overnight from Saturday to Sunday. We guess he climbed down the ivy (or jumped, as it's only one floor) and hasn't been seen since. He's not very savvy or streetwise and we fear he's just got lost and can't find his way home. We live in a village, but it's quite large, with some busy roads and mad French drivers. Please pray that he either finds his way home, or has a quick end. I hate to think he may be injured somewhere and unable to get home. [Waterworks]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 2999 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear it worked out for Gypsy after all - she looks like such a lovely dog, it's great to know that someone's fallen in love with her.

Dormouse - [Votive] that George finds his way home safely.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse I hope George comes home soon. It's always a worry when they behave out of character.

Huia

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seconding that, Dormouse. I worry about all ours even though they are allowed out. Found Madam sitting on the wall of the house opposite last night. Convinced she thinks she owns the street. And she yelled blue murder when we wouldn't let her out again.
Here's hoping he's on his way home to you.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 92 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for George.

And advice for Issues Over Feeding Bowls please? Old dog has taken to snaffling ancient cat's food.

Our previous methods of coping with this had merely resulted in the utility area becoming something akin to a fortress. So last night i sorted the whole area out, restoring a seating area and a aura of respectability to the whole area.....

This morning i am faced with an outraged cat, dog with a guilty face and a licked pristine-clean cat bowl.

Do i really have to resort to feeding one in the back garden and one in the front?

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fingers crossed for George's safe return, Dormouse.
jedijudy

# 333

Praying for George to find his way home safely. [Frown] [Votive]

Once, Mom and Dad's cat, Moo, was totally missing. He's an inside cat only, but has tried to sneak outside several times. They were yelling "Moo! Moo!" all over the neighborhood and couldn't find him. After giving up, Mom went to the closet to get something off a high shelf, and there was Moo, enjoying his dark, high napping place behind conveniently placed boxes.

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still missing. We think (not accusing; just thinking) that someone (we think we know who) has taken him in & won't give him back. We have circumstantial evidence, some witnesses who say he has been seen with a cat very similar to George since G disappeared, yet he has denied to MreD's face having a ginger/white cat. MrD has been inside his flat but it was such a hoarder's paradise it was hard to see anything except boxes.

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 2999 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

It is astounding to me that with so many dogs and cats needing a good home, that there are folks who have taken the pets of other folks. Even though this may not be the case with George, I think most of us know of people who have gone through this particular heartache.

(((Dormouse))) [Votive]

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Totally agree, jedijudy. I remain convinced that my missing cat was "adopted" by someone else, on the day they left the neighbourhood, with no thought to the fact that he already had an owner who would miss him terribly. Another expression of the increasing self-centredness of some people today?

Mind you, with so many cats needing to be rescued, I also struggle to understand people who spend upwards of A$1000 on breed kittens. Esp designer cats like Bengals, which they are unprepared for and subsequently struggle to properly care for.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
[Votive] for George.

And advice for Issues Over Feeding Bowls please? Old dog has taken to snaffling ancient cat's food.

Our previous methods of coping with this had merely resulted in the utility area becoming something akin to a fortress. So last night i sorted the whole area out, restoring a seating area and a aura of respectability to the whole area.....

This morning i am faced with an outraged cat, dog with a guilty face and a licked pristine-clean cat bowl.

Do i really have to resort to feeding one in the back garden and one in the front?

I've heard of people feeding the cat up on the washing machine or a raised bench - anywhere the dog can't reach. Poor cat. Lucky dog! [Smile]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2362 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor cat? Surely s/he will enjoy smirking over what is, to the dog, unreachable food.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 7827 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I read somewhere that cats that share their house with a dog [Biased] are seldom over weight.

Georgie-Porgy is moulting, and the house is drowning in it. I am going to increase the Furminator use to twice a day to avoid her getting fur balls. I bought a new kind of comb as well, for the dreadlock like tangles. The woman who sold it to me said that some cats hate it, but G-P purrs like a dynamo on steroids.

Huia

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for George.

We have a temporary dog; belongs to a neighbour who was taken into hospital yesterday. His brother is in France at the moment and he has no other relatives nearby, so we are keeping the dog until someone can collect him.

It's very strange having a dog in the house... he thinks so too. He can't understand why we all disappeared upstairs after breakfast (to our offices, to work) instead of staying in the living room with him...

Posts: 3956 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
[Votive] for George.

We have a temporary dog; belongs to a neighbour who was taken into hospital yesterday. His brother is in France at the moment and he has no other relatives nearby, so we are keeping the dog until someone can collect him.

It's very strange having a dog in the house... he thinks so too. He can't understand why we all disappeared upstairs after breakfast (to our offices, to work) instead of staying in the living room with him...

Bless you for taking him in -- even if you do strange things like working upstairs just to confuse him.
[Smile]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9562 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really don't want to go back to using a table......

Am now feeding outside.
[Frown]

Dormouse

# 5954

George is still missing. We are still searching. We still have our suspicions about this gentleman…BUT we insist to everyone that we are NOT accusing him of taking George. We only want to verify that his ginger/white cat is not George. However…
* despite having been seen cradling a ginger/white cat, saying it was his, and it was castrated, he denies having a ginger/white cat.
* a g/w cat has been seen twice in his appartment window. However this may have been the tortie/calico cat that he is believed to also own.)
* he has been seen transporting a g/w cat ( although this may have been the tortie/calico cat that he is believed to also own.) from his car to his flat.
* he has now blacked out the windows of his car so you can’t look in.

We now wonder if he is moving the cats to different places, especially at the weekend, as that’s when we are more likely to come calling. So, once my mum has left, we are thinking we may just wait outside the appartment block on Friday evening/ Saturday morning to see what happens. We also have people in the next block keeping their eyes firmly on this guy who will phone us as soon as they see anything suspicious.

The Gendarmes have told us that there IS a law against stealing pets, but we still require proof. A contact at the Mairie is going to see if they can do anything.

Meanwhile, we trail around the village chasing up possible sightings (so we aren’t just putting all our eggs in this guy’s basket) and plaintively calling out George’s name. Someone kindly offered us two small cats if we can’t find George – very kind, but that’s not the point!!!

Still very sad [Waterworks]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I mentioned on the prayer thread, my elderly (16 years old) Spyder cat has been poorly. I rushed him to the emergency 24 hour vet Thursday night because of how lethargic and zoned out he was acting, where they found nothing substantially wrong. They say he may have an enlarged heart and/or a thyroid condition, so I have made an appointment with my regular vet for Monday for the thyroid test, and he should have a sonogram of his heart on Thursday.

Right now he's eating again after two days of not, and seems more active and alert than he's been since Wednesday.

I know 16 is getting along there, but I hope he's still got a couple of good years. He's a sweet cat, and I do love him.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11690 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Get well soon Spyder xx

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Yes - best wishes for recovery for Spyder and a few more happy years for you together.
jedijudy

# 333

I hope that Spyder cat's tests relieve your mind, Nicolemr! Hoping for more good years for both of you!

In July I drove twenty miles each way for three weeks to feed and medicate Cubby, a sweet twelve-year-old white and tabby cat. He has just been diagnosed with an incurable (and painful) disease. [Waterworks] He will be making his final journey to the Rainbow Bridge on Wednesday. Please pray for M and D and their children. M has had Cubby since he was a kitten, well before she met her husband.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Thanks guys. Spyder had his thyroid test today, I get the result tomorrow. He lost a little weight since Thursday, not surprising since he didn't eat for two days, but he seems quite his old self now.

Prayers for Cubby and his family.

[Votive]

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Poor Cubby [Frown]
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Spyder's thyroid test was negative, the vet was surprised, as am I, but there is another test pending which might tell more. Meanwhile he seems quite himself again.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Temporary Dog has now been picked up by his owner's niece. His owner died on Saturday.

[Votive]

Posts: 3956 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Spyder's been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. That's the most common form of heart disease in cats, a thickening of the walls of the heart that make it difficult to move blood through it. He's been put on two medications which I'm going to have to dose him with daily. The irony is that he is behaving completely normal and fine. If he hadn't been so bad last week that I took him in, I'd never have known there was anything wrong.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Hope he gets meds which sort it nicolemr xx

[ 18. September 2016, 15:16: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5 days ago Robbie-the-cat left the house and very uncharacteristically didn't return, which became less likely as the hours ticked by because he would be beginning to feel the effects of being without his dementia meds. He was 19 and I think he went somewhere quiet to take his last long nap.
Truffles-the-cat is very unsettled and grieving in her own way (probably more than I am!) and I wonder if she knows where he chose and is visiting because she vanishes now & then. Thankfully she comes home now and then, and is snacking even if she doesn't finish a complete dish, and appreciates a lap so I've decided to cancel a short break that I'd booked for this week because I think she needs stability and don't want her moving out too. I've plugged the Feliway in and am using a calming spray around her, so hopefully she'll settle soon.

Posts: 3179 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat Tobey vanished on Thursday, not returning for supper that evening. We haven't seen him since, although I call him and we have searched the neighborhood. He was 13 and somewhat frail with arthritis, and so would not have wandered far. I hope that he felt ill and hid away to die. This would be better than being nabbed by a coyote or a fox. I wish there was some way to know his fate.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5853 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry Brenda. Often the worse part is not knowing.
Posts: 2614 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And this morning very early Tobey simply reappeared on the front step. He was hungry and thirsty but entirely nonchalant. What were you worried about? I knew where I was. Tiresome creature, we immediately fed him two breakfasts.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5853 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
And this morning very early Tobey simply reappeared on the front step. He was hungry and thirsty but entirely nonchalant. What were you worried about? I knew where I was. Tiresome creature, we immediately fed him two breakfasts.

So glad he's back -- having had adventures he'll never tell you about.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9562 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear about Tobey, BC. [Smile]

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Welcome back, Tobey!
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Good news about Tobey!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

YaY Tobey! [Yipee]

Meanwhile I am being punished for being away by having a furry shadow that comes everywhere with me, unless I shut her inside or sneak away quietly. She goes outside herself, but as soon as she comes back in meows loudly until I call to her.

I even had to cross stitch with her on my lap. We have played some boisterous games, but she wants to cuddle more than anything. I think she probably picked up how distressed I was when I came home.

Huia

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was chatting to neighbour "boy" this week (he'll be 30 in December), who is currently home from Dubai for a few weeks, and learnt that our poor long-suffering cat, who is always hungry, usually begs breakfast at his house - his dad is a fish merchant and is a complete softy.

Hmmmm.

Now I don't feel so bad about sometimes making her wait a bit for her lunch.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

More weirdness from the fluffy one. I was sitting quietly cross stitching when the loudest meow I have ever heard Georgie-Porgy let lose came from the suitcase where she was sleeping. Maybe she was dreaming or it might just be attention seeking, so we had a cuddle and she went back to sleep.

If she doesn't get back to her usual behaviour soon a visit to the vet may be in order, or could Feliway calm her down? I hesitate to go to the vet because travelling in cars causes extra distress.

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016