homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Animal companions in our happy homes (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Animal companions in our happy homes
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard good things about Feliway.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feliway is great - I'm also trying Pet Remedy de-stress and calming because I can use it in the caravan when there is no power.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today Remaining Cat and I spent an hour in my touring caravan which I've brought from storage and parked near the house, all part of a Big Plan to take her with me on trips. She lasted very well, no scrabbling to be let out, wandering around checking out the windows (but not asking to be let out of them) and coming to my lap (I took a book and cup of coffee in with me) and side for cuddles now and then. After over an hour she began to let me know that she'd had enough so we went back to the house. We'll have another few sessions like that and then I'll try out both of us staying in it overnight (trying not to think about what the neighbours think about the Mad Cat Woman!) before going on a trip to a nearby Fabulous Forest. She is also getting used to a harness that she'll be wearing on these trips - we are taking everything gently and gradually so she doesn't get stressed, and at 12 yrs she seems to be taking things in her stride.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is astonishing what one can train a cat to tolerate. (I assume you are being lavish with treats, so that she associates the space with Good Stuff Happening.) I taught a cat once not only to ride in the car, but to lounge on the back deck under the rear windshield. He would nap and sun himself; mostly other drivers thought he was a stuffed toy but occasionally one would see someone doing a double-take.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend [in Texas, naturally] who has trained his cats to tolerate being bathed - he started when they were very young and he can't say that they actually enjoy it but they do tolerate it without much fuss.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Wodders, you've reminded me of my Persian who would tolerate a bath but would grumble and moan the whole time.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

After today's session with Remaining Cat in the caravan, she has gone into major sulk mode. From tomorrow I'll try another tack with her - leaving the door open so she can join me there when she feels like it..... which might possibly be never.
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So after all the expense and worry with Spyder and his heart condition, one of my other cats, Sybil, has just been to the vet and run up a huge bill. She wasn't acting right, and wasn't eating right for a couple of day. It turned out she was badly constipated, and they gave her an enema but the doctor says it's a bit of a mystery why she was constipated, and I should keep an eye on her.

I love my cats but they are driving me to ruin!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Modern technology means that vets can spend a fortune on fixing up your pet. You can get MRIs and CAT scans and blood work and wow! It costs as much as it does for a human being, only you have no insurance. It is important to keep an eye on the vet and not let her go her limit on this.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our poor and much loved labradoodle is now about 90% blind and 75% deaf, but there's nothing wrong with her nose ... she can smell food from Object V774104 (way beyond Pluto) and when she does her wobbly old legs suddenly channel Usain Bolt x Derek Drouin simultaneously.

She's been a love-sponge and love-well for 13 years, and we're making sure, despite the contempt of her two canine cohabitants, that few waking moments are without affection flowing her way.

[Axe murder]

[ 07. October 2016, 19:01: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Georgie-Porgie once had a cat scan because a vet could feel lumps in her intestines. As the took her away I said, " Be a good cat Georgie and don't have anything expensive, we can't afford it."

The vet must have heard, because I didn't get charged for the whiff of knock out gas they gave her. In the end it was just a thickening of her intestinal walls, but I'm glad I did it because it would have been picked up in every examination she had and I would be worried about her being in pain or needing emergency help at a very expensive time.

It's a really tricky thing to know when and how much to treat and when to euthanize. There was a cat caught in a fire here and the family asked for donations so they could have it treated. It took months and the animal was in considerable pain. I would also wonder about the quality of its life afterwards. I think I would have had it put to sleep [Waterworks] .

Having said that, all but one of my cats have died a natural death and one was even interred by a professional grave digger (youngest brother's then employment).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Our poor and much loved labradoodle is now about 90% blind and 75% deaf, but there's nothing wrong with her nose ... she can smell food from Object V774104 (way beyond Pluto) and when she does her wobbly old legs suddenly channel Usain Bolt x Derek Drouin simultaneously.

She's been a love-sponge and love-well for 13 years, and we're making sure, despite the contempt of her two canine cohabitants, that few waking moments are without affection flowing her way.

[Axe murder]

Zappa - [Overused]

My beloved pup is now 12, healthy but getting a little slower and more inclined to nap. But also a "love-sponge and love-well."
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been owned by a pet, but the terms "love-sponge" and "love-well" sound delightfully appropriate.

Long life to all your sponges and wells! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 16-year-old cat, who's had kidney disease/failure for a few years now.

At this point, she's eating almost nothing, and she's fur and bones, and her back legs are pretty wobbly. I wonder if the wobbly legs are due to her lack of adequate nutrition? But one result is that she's started peeing in bed at night. My bed. Right next to and under me. She keeps sleeping in the same spot, too. I don't even know if she's aware of it - if it's just too much trouble getting up, or if she's losing control.

It's harrowing watching her starve herself. I keep trying what I can. She seems to currently be willing to drink that special lactose-free milk they make for cats, maybe a tablespoon or two's worth a day. Last week, I pureed tuna fish from a can, and she loved it...until the third time I gave it to her. Today, I put some high-calorie gel (which she won't touch on its own) into a Pill Pocket and shoved it down her throat like a pill. I'm thinking I might just need to force-feed her like that.

The problem is, I'm woefully under-employed and can't afford to take her to the vet. Or, even if I could, I couldn't afford any treatments they'd have to offer, or any special food they'd want her to eat. But I wonder if she needs an anti-nausea medication.

Her tastes have all radically changed: All her life, she only liked chicken, and maybe turkey, dry food. She learned to eat cat food, but only pate. She does still prefer dry food (which isn't good for a cat with kidney disease, but if she'll eat ANYTHING I'll give it to her!) and pate, but about 6 months ago, she started turning her nose up at chicken and suddenly liked tuna - which she never liked before. She also used to love Fortiflora, a malt-flavored probiotic powder you put on their food to combat digestive issues (I first used it when switching her to wet food to avoid diarrhea) but now she hates it. I mean, she was a total crackhead for it in the past; won't touch it now. She doesn't even like catnip anymore. She loved pumpkin the first time I gave it to her recently, but hates it now.

Any ideas? Especially for someone currently only earning just less than $500/month?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It would be worth contacting local vets, or even local veterinary colleges, to see if you could negotiate free or discounted treatment for the animal. What's the worst that can happen? Nothing.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I'm poking around...there's one that has extremely limited appointments for non-wellness visits that only charges $25 for a physical, so I'll call them tomorrow. And continue force-feeding her, I guess!

Her name is Taffeta, if anyone wants to mention her in their prayers. [Votive]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps there is a local veterinary college that might have a low cost clinic?

Prayers for Taffeta. [Votive]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless her and you churchgeek 🐾💕

Might it be time to have her gently put to sleep? She has had a good long life and pain meds would not really improve her condition. It may be the kindest thing.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two dogs and a cat here.

A 9 year old West Highland Terrier named Robbie (short for Robert Burns, natch) and a 1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix -- best guess -- dumped-puppy-on-the-railroad-tracks rescue; she goes by the name of Lily and is the only girl in the home and a bit of a spoiled princess (must wee... must wee... must wee... eww! eww! water on the grass! *dainty squat and tinkle* back home... back home... back home...)

Bear is an 8 year old formerly feral black medium hair something from a no-kill shelter who has become more social in middle age. Must always be in the same room with us and occasionally deigns to sit in our laps.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Severe aftershock yesterday evening decided me that I needed finally buy some Feliway. The only problem is that my reaction caused greater stress to Georgie than the quake did [Roll Eyes]

I made it up to her by playing a vigorous game of "catch the orange thing" with her pounce toy, which calmed us both. A small feed of catnip helped.

Because of the tsunami warning last week I decided to look for a new cattery as the one she usually goes to is on low lying ground less than a metre from the shoreline. The woman I spoke to sounded as besotted with cats as I am, but much better qualified. Feedback on a local information website is excellent and I'm going to visit next week. I may be overreacting, but knowing she was safe would be one less thing to worry about if I had to go up north in a hurry..

Huia

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I made it up to her by playing a vigorous game of "catch the orange thing"...

That has a whole different meaning in the U.S. these days (and you're apt to attract the attention of the Secret Service).

[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yes, but in this case the orange thing was the recipient of the cat's urges....
hmmm, better not take that parallel too far in AS.

I will never see "the orange thing" in the same light again.

Geddit Georgie -Porgy!

Huia

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I now have a mental image of my three cats chasing around a mouse-sized Trump. [Big Grin]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Might it be time to have her gently put to sleep? She has had a good long life and pain meds would not really improve her condition. It may be the kindest thing.

I am considering that. She doesn't quite seem like she's lost the will to live, but I'm keeping an eye on her. I hear euthanizing a cat is about $45-150... not sure I can afford that! Maybe I can find a low-cost vet to do it. But I'm not giving up just yet. I'm force-feeding her to see if it helps. (It's not that hard; I've mixed a high-protein paste with some dehydrated cat food into little pill-sized globs and give them to her like I would pills. She generally gets up and drinks her milk or water after that.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've no pets here at the moment (full-time working + small child means that right now it's not practical or fair), but I love the idea and hope that we can get a pet at some point - I'd love a dog. However, other than goldfish I've never had a pet in my life even as a child, and I'm really aware when I go to other people's homes with my job that I'm quite wary of their pets (especially dogs). So I don't know how much of quite fancying a pet is just unrealistic daydreaming.

My daughter (nearly 3) announced the other week that she needed a dog. But then a couple of weeks earlier she announced that she needed a brother or sister, so I'm not sure she really gets what it's all about! (Have to say, the dog is much more realistic a prospect, but she's going to have to learn some more patience!)

Good friends of ours recently became the forever humans to a rescue greyhound, and I'm loving hearing of their adventures. Maybe one day ...

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... I will never see "the orange thing" in the same light again ...

Georgy-Porgy - KILL!!! [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
quote:

I am considering that. She doesn't quite seem like she's lost the will to live, but I'm keeping an eye on her. I hear euthanizing a cat is about $45-150... not sure I can afford that! Maybe I can find a low-cost vet to do it. But I'm not giving up just yet. I'm force-feeding her to see if it helps. (It's not that hard; I've mixed a high-protein paste with some dehydrated cat food into little pill-sized globs and give them to her like I would pills. She generally gets up and drinks her milk or water after that.
This is so sad, I really feel for you. Does your country not have the equivalent of the PDSA ?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does your country not have the equivalent of the PDSA ?

There are some individual businesses and charities that provide free or less expensive services. You can look by state here. When my kitties were old and in need of more frequent veterinary care, I was very glad to have a discount vet near my home.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister and brother-in-law had two old cats which both went to the Rainbow Bridge this past year. This week my b-i-l brought two puppies and a kitten home!!!

There is a charity in their town that goes around to the kill shelters and rescues the puppies and kittens. They then go to various businesses every month looking for forever homes for the babies. Sis and b-i-l have been talking for a few months of adopting a kitten or puppy. Hah!!! So, my sis has been training the two Australian Shepherds (who had never been separated, so came as a set). The kitty thinks he's a Siamese Shepherd, and was totally shocked to see himself in a mirror yesterday.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I don't often join in on this thread, but we're going to be house-sitting for a couple of friends from New Year until Easter (they've got a place in France - not envious at all, no, no ...).

What is bothering me is it's not just house-sitting - it's cat-sitting, and I've never had a living creature be dependent on me before, so I may well be asking for advice.

We're assured that she's in good health, and a very easy cat to look after, but she's still a cat ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
We're assured that she's in good health, and a very easy cat to look after, but she's still a cat ... [Eek!]

Just treat her with due deference, acknowledge her beauty and overall superiority and you should be OK.

Poor Georgie-Porgy had a horrible day. I had someone around to fix the spouting and sort out some other minor, but noisy jobs. What I didn't realise was that some earthquake damage to the wastewater system outside my house was also being fixed today. I came home to discover a shell-shocked cat. I fed her tea an hour early and she seems to be recovering well.

Huia

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet - don't worry. You will be perfectly trained within 24 hours, I promise!
Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, both. Never having been owned by a cat before, I'm sure you can understand our trepidation. [Big Grin]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Piglet, we slaves of cats will be glad to help if you have any questions when you house sit!

I'm dog sitting for a good friend. She has two Havanese that are very spoiled, partly because of their Aunt jedijudy. They have three different treats (or as they are known here...T things) available: the preferred treats, the acceptable treats and dog biscuits, known as cookies, which are ok if nothing else is available. Lizards are probably preferable. Anyway, if a cookie is offered, the boy dog will take it to the cookie-eating area and crunch happily away. The girl dog gives me a "Really, Aunt jj? Really?" look and sadly carries it with her for hours until her brother takes it from her, whereupon she gets extremely indignant.

Now, if I break the cookie and give them each a half, they will both eat them almost immediately.

Do any of you dog people have a theory about what's going on with that?

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Does your country not have the equivalent of the PDSA ?

There are some individual businesses and charities that provide free or less expensive services. You can look by state here. When my kitties were old and in need of more frequent veterinary care, I was very glad to have a discount vet near my home.
The ones I find in Michigan only (1) spay and neuter; or (2) offer food and supplies.

You'd think one of these organizations would offer help with euthanasia; after all, do they want people trying to do that themselves? (Mind you, I could never.)

There's a clinic around here that does walk-in spay/neuter services, and very limited appointments for physical exams. I spoke with them on the phone today, and they said they were booked, but I could try the spay/neuter days, and if they're not busy, they could take me. I'll call on Tuesday (their next clinic day) to see if they're busy. It's only $25 for the physical exam. I don't know if they do euthanasia, but at least they might be able to tell me if it's really time or not.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

churchgeek and Taffeta
[Votive]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Piglet, we slaves of cats will be glad to help if you have any questions when you house sit!

I'm dog sitting for a good friend. She has two Havanese that are very spoiled, partly because of their Aunt jedijudy. They have three different treats (or as they are known here...T things) available: the preferred treats, the acceptable treats and dog biscuits, known as cookies, which are ok if nothing else is available. Lizards are probably preferable. Anyway, if a cookie is offered, the boy dog will take it to the cookie-eating area and crunch happily away. The girl dog gives me a "Really, Aunt jj? Really?" look and sadly carries it with her for hours until her brother takes it from her, whereupon she gets extremely indignant.

Now, if I break the cookie and give them each a half, they will both eat them almost immediately.

Do any of you dog people have a theory about what's going on with that?

In the girl's mind, the cookie is only desirable if the boy indicates he wants it. If he's chomping on the other half or trying to steal it, that means it's a good one. Otherwise not.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

That makes sense, Lamb Chopped. Dog ways are different than the ways of Cats!

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Dog ways are different than the ways of Cats!

Too right, especially when it comes to previously unencountered food or treats, when they (well, certainly any of those I've shared a home with) seem to think you are trying to poison them.
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churchgeek, I can't speak about Michigan, but in MD many vet clinics have a hardship fund which can be used to make up the difference between what a service costs and what a client can pay. In my neighbourhood, we also have had people crowdfund for needed vet services; most recently a veteran whose dog developed a tumour on his back and needed surgery. Fingers crossed for you and the cat

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Well, I called the vet we've been to and liked here in Detroit, and it turned out I had enough money...

She was a little better the last couple of days, but I still went in not really expecting to bring her home, and I didn't. I was able to be right with her when she died.

She seems to have had cancer in or around her colon, or lymphoma in that area. I'm glad she wasn't feeling her absolute worst on her last day. It was even an uncharacteristically warm, sunny day for this time of year, which helped, since my car has no heat. (It's only about a 15-20 min. drive to the vet, but that's taking the freeway, which is loud - especially in my car with its exhaust leak...did I mention I'm poor? [Roll Eyes] )

Some of you may have seen my post about it on facebook. I'm overwhelmed with all the responses of love and support! It really was the right decision. I'm only a little teary here and there, but feeling down - this plus other reasons. Also, it's 1:15 a.m. right now, and I seem to be avoiding going in my room and going to bed.

(My cat had lived exclusively in my room, because my roommate has other cats, and Taffeta hated other cats. So I did get her food bowl, water bowl, and all the litter stuff out this afternoon.)

Thanks to everyone for your caring comments and advice! It was helpful to be able to come here and articulate everything as I was preparing for this.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churchgeek, I am very sorry to hear this. So hard. So hard. May you find comfort in your memories of Taffeta.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Oh Churchgeek, I'm so sorry. It's hard to say goodbye to a friend.

Huia

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

(((Churchgeek))) [Votive]

Taffeta was a lucky girl to have you as her person.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Bless you churchgeek [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

So sorry for you, Churchgeek.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Thanks, everybody! [Tear]

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubby and I went away for 4 days and bordered our rescue dog at the vet's kennel. I took her blanket and toy but felt just so guilty. It was the first time we had ever left her in the 18months we have had her. I was worried that she would think she had been abandoned again. Turns out according to staff notes she had a wonderful time, was a favorite with all the staff and ran to me like her long lost best friend when I arrived to pick her up. I have a feeling it was harder on me then on her to be boarded.
She indeed seems non the worse for being left and settled right into her usual home routine.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

So sorry to hear of your loss, Churchgeek.

RIP Taffeta. [Votive]

--------------------

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((churchgeek))

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016