homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Animal companions in our happy homes (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Animal companions in our happy homes
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today we've had the first of 3 days with a temperature of under 20c. Georgie-Porgy is back to her usual cheeky self. She came running along the top of the fence when I called [Yipee] yelling her greetings.

I bought some raw meat to test her appetite and she scoffed it down and demanded more. I have made an appointment at the vets' for her as it's close to the time for her vaccinations anyway and they may suggest ways to combat the coming hot days, February being our hottest month.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia,DIL started feeding her little Abyssinian raw meat at the end of her very long life where she used at least 11/9 of her lives. This was vet's suggestion. She loved it and her coat and general liveliness improved. Not that she had been fed rubbish. Far from it, but not raw meat. Raw meat was scavenged from neighbour's BBQ or caught, such as a stupid pigeon. She was about nineteen when she died.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend is using freeze-dried raw nuggets for her cat, with such good result that I've purchased some too. I'll post the name when the shipment arrives -- I can't find her original post.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can buy plastic pots of raw meat and I think G-P will be having it more often. I will probably break it down into Georgie sized portions and freeze it.

She had a thyroid test at the vets because she has lost weight - now being only 2.75 kg (6 lb). Also had all her vaccinations including FIV.

She has now had a second breakfast and gone outside to sit in the sun. Fortunately the forecasted temperature is under 20c, making us both happy.

Huia

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All right, here we are. I have here a bag jof Nature's Variety Instinct Rarmarket Nuggets for Cats. This is the chicken flavor. Am off now to open the bag and offer it to felines, and see how they go down.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
All right, here we are. I have here a bag jof Nature's Variety Instinct Rarmarket Nuggets for Cats. This is the chicken flavor. Am off now to open the bag and offer it to felines, and see how they go down.

I rather think mouse-flavoured would be best. It might remind them of their purpose on Earth. For special treats, perhaps chipmunk-flavoured. [Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

These nuggets, about the size of a mini candy bar, are friable in the fingers and powerfully redolent of chicken. The cats love it -- I divided two among the three of them (one cat is plump and allegedly on a weight-loss regimen) and they ate it right up. I will only give it to them once a day, easing them into it.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, thank you....
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
I rather think mouse-flavoured would be best. It might remind them of their purpose on Earth. For special treats, perhaps chipmunk-flavoured. [Biased]

I think the most exotic meat for pets I've seen on sale here is kangaroo meat. It's either imported from Australia (we don't have kangaroos here) or is in fact wallaby meat. Wallabies are similar to kangaroos, but smaller and were let loose in parts of NZ for hunting. In some areas they have become a pest.

When I see it I always have a mental picture of the cats leaping across the yard in long bounds when the treats jar is rattled.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... a mental picture of the cats leaping across the yard in long bounds when the treats jar is rattled ...

Tabby is usually quite a sedate sort of cat, but she can't half go when you rattle the treat packet.

Maybe not quite like this, but you get the idea ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

"Temptations, Crack cocaine for cats" That's what a friend of mine told me.

I've found them useful when a vet appointment is in the offing.

I just had a call from the vet, G-P has an overactive thyroid. We are considering options. [Frown]

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Update:
Nothing quite like being off work and in a bit of a grumpy mood to sort these matts!
So after an hour, she is half done. She had enough though so i was roundly boxed across the cheeks (with her claws in thank goodness)

So now one side looks fabulous whilst the other side looks Appalling
[Frown]

After a strong cup of tea, it's round two. Unfortunately this is the arthritic side though.....

[ 10. February 2017, 15:36: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I cut out some of Georgie's matted fur once and thought she might end up looking moth-eaten, but I couldn't even tell after I had brushed her. Now I try to use the furminator regularly and let the fur blow around the back yard so the birds can use it to line their nests.

Huia

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I cannot believe that having mats in your fur is comfortable for the animal. Much better to get them out, and if it takes several sessions that is OK.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any of you ever experience mild electric shocks from your cats?

Occasionally when I'm having Therapeutic Cat Time™ - usually just stroking her back - I'll feel a sudden shock, which makes me jump and although Tabby doesn't appear to feel it, she obviously notices that I've moved suddenly.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Cavalier spaniels used to get mats. I tackled them with a human hair brush called a 'tangle teaser'.

It's great. I use one still with the Labradors because you can groom them indoors without fur flying around.

(When I have a yellow pup I save the fur in a jar for the birds in spring, the birds don't like the black fur and don't take it from my apple shaped fur dispenser - I've no idea why, they love the yellow - I've got a big jar of Bruce's fur ready for the spring)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie, perhaps the black fur reminds them of a local predator?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Boogie, perhaps the black fur reminds them of a local predator?

Or maybe it's the wrong texture - it's certainly coarser than the yellow.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie, I thought of you when I read this story in this morning's paper (I hope it can be opened across the Pond -- if not, let me know).

Just look at that adorable face!
[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Ahead of time....as this is the hurdle that will appear next week:

Hints and tips on getting stroppy cats to take tablets?

(I am in all seriousness considering paying a clever local teenager to do it, if i can't.......)

[ 13. February 2017, 18:18: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Do they have Pill Pockets, where you are? Essentially cat treats, with a little hollow center. Get a large packet and start today, giving your cat an occasional unloaded Pill Pocket at intervals. The idea is to get him used to eating them. Then, when you load one with a pill and slip it in, he may not notice the addition. This is far and away the easiest way, and if you can orchestrate it will save you endless trouble.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I certainly hope they have them here. Georgie is going on tablets for being hyperthyroid - and stroppy is a huge part of her personality. If neither of us can cope there is also a gel that can be rubbed into her skin, or at last resort she can be injected with a radio isotope.

I'm going to talk to the vet sometime this week.

Huia

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I give Spyder his heart medicine in pill pockets, he loves them. One problem, rarely, but occasionally, he manages to eat the pill pocket and not the pill. Then I have to put the pill in another pocket and try again.

The company that makes them is Greenies.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Boogie, I thought of you when I read this story in this morning's paper (I hope it can be opened across the Pond -- if not, let me know).

Just look at that adorable face!
[Axe murder]

Great story, gorgeous puppy. (But I'm very pleased we don't have to work in snow!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pill pockets sounds such a good idea -- bookmarked for future notice.

My two small dogs went off to the dog salon to be trimmed and have toenails clipped. This happens every six weeks. Off they went with plumy tails waving and jumped onto the back seat of the car, not even a backward glance at the Great Dane who was howling with distress to see them go. When I let him out, he ran to the gate and craned his head around the fence in hopes they would hear him calling and turn around.

Then he came back into the house and searched for the Fabulous Sisters in all their favourite places, giving little grunts and yelps as he looked for them. After a while he became very nervous because he hates to be home alone with only me to protect him, so he crawled under the bed in the study, wedged himself in and lay there rolling his eyes at me, his jaw trembling. Great Danes can look as solemn as judges but he is a clown. When the small dogs arrive back home all perfumed and beribboned, he will be in raptures and they will ignore him.

I do try not to anthropomorphise my animals but sometimes I can't resist.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

No Pill pockets here, but there is a similar product I picked up at the vets, along with Georgie-Porgy's tiny pills [Yipee] The drugging starts tomorrow. In 3 weeks we go back for blood tests and I'll ask for her to be weighted again.

MaryLouise, your Great Dane sounds lovely.

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yay, first pill disappeared with the speed of a
conjuring trick [Yipee] [Yipee] Sleight of paw?

Huia - greatly relieved.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Very good! As the steeplechase riders say, always go over rough ground as lightly as you can. And dogs are easier about this than cats. Dogs will scarf down anything; I had a spaniel once who would gulp down pebbles if you flung them into the air like treats.

My daughter has a Great Dane, and when their cat died the dog was heartbroken. He lay on the grave and cried. Since my daughter had just had a baby they decided to not get a new cat for a while, and gave me all the cat's dishes, kibble, etc. The dog was very upset. You're taking her dish! OMG, you're taking her -food-!! What is funny is that the cat had always disliked the dog, and rejected his adoration.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

MaryLouise and Brenda - it sounds like Great Danes really suffer with unrequited love. [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, Brenda, the tried-and-trusted vet, who is anthropomorphic to an alarming degree, says the Great Dane has abandonment issues and is therefore prone to inappropriate crushes. I think the poor GD just wants friendly animal companions in the house!

My small half-Pomeranians arrived back with pink ribbons over their ears, silly pom-pommed tails and reeking of Estée Lauder's Youth Dew as well as some violet-scented talcum powder. I haven't smelled Youth Dew in years. The dog groomer saves the dregs of old perfumes (she wears copious lashings of Shalimar herself) to anoint her dog clients. Great Dane ecstatic to see small dogs and ignored as usual.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one of my main problems is that I keep on anthropomorphising people - it usually ends in disappointment.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Thank you!
[Smile]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
... I haven't smelled Youth Dew in years ...

Neither have I, and if I never smell it again, it'll be too soon. The last time I did, it was on a w*rk colleague, who seemed to have drenched herself in it one lunch-time, and it gave me one of the worst headaches I've ever had. Horrid stuff.
[Projectile]

[/tangent OFF]

Back to the pooches and pussycats. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our [semi-feral] cat and her new kittens were obviously attacked by something overnight and were all dead before we woke this morning, which is a bit sad - Himself is quite upset about it - the last of an unbroken line spanning my time in India.

Doubtless another feral cat [or cats] will arrive fairly soon to take over but it is still sad.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be upset, too - even the adult cat. It must have been something fairly strong to have killed all of them. Commiserations to Himself.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks]
Wodders, that's just terrible and so sad. [Frown]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WW, that's awful. So sorry.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

{{{WW and Himself}}} [Frown]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thank you all.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

So sad,WW.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Spyder, my cat who has the heart problem, had blood tests last week, which weren't entirely good. Some of his levels are high and it may be from the heart medicine. So now he's getting his blood pressure checked and having a urinalysis, and then they'll decide if his medicines should be changed.

This is getting awfully expensive now. [Frown]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{WW & themselves}}
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
This is getting awfully expensive now. [Frown]

[Votive] for you and Spyder.

Because Georgie-Porgy has developed a condition requiring life-long medication I have spent a lot of time thinking about how far I go to sustain life, I've always thought that it's the quality rather than quantity that matters, but I find the actual decision making a difficult process. With Patch I just looked at her and saw that she didn't seem to be enjoying life anymore, but it seems a very subjective process [Confused]

Huia

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Spyder's blood pressure was normal. Next is the urinalysis.

Huia, yeah, I know what you mean. Spyder is still obviously enjoying his life, to look at him or watch him you'd never know anything was wrong.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Just back from Guide Dog puppy class - exhausted!

Mollie is nice and rested and full of beans as it's over an hour journey and she slept in the car all the way home - so no rest for the wicked!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Home from the vet and good news - on the last visit Georgie-Porgy had lost so much weight that I thought I would have to change her name to Skinny Minnie, but now she's back in the normal range.

They did slightly increase her meds, but put them in a "childproof" bottle, which I couldn't open. [Mad] Unfortunately I don't have a child at hand to help either, so I took it back today and one of the staff did it for me.

My other complaint is that the instructions that came with the meds are almost incomprehensible. For goodness sake I have a Masters and my vocabulary is reasonably wide, so how people manage to understand this stuff is beyond me. The one instruction that was written in plain English was to read the info sheet before giving the cat a pill - so no pressure or anything [Roll Eyes]

We go back in 4 weeks, then if all is well, not for another 3 months.

huia

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, thanks for sharing Georgie-Porgy's good news! Hoping for the medicine to do its work, and to not cause you distress! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear about G-P - hope the new tablets work well.

As you haven't any children in the house, I hope the vet's clinic transferred the tablets to an ordinary bottle that you can open.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It was only the initial opening that was impossible for me, so in future I'll get them to do it on the spot before I leave the hospital.

All my cats, plus a stray with FIV (cat AIDS) have been treated there and the staff are brilliant. While there has been a turnover in vets, two of the vet nurses have been there over 20 years [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

My Spyder, the cat who was being treated for his heart, died last night. It was fast and I hope painless. I was out with friends, when I left he was fine, and when I came home he was gone.

I am hurting today. [Tear]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016