homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Animal companions in our happy homes (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Animal companions in our happy homes
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe nobody has brought this thread up yet.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5793 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Thank you, LC. Kenwritez and other names from the past too. What a gem.

I was wallowing around a few weeks ago in In Memoriam and enjoyed some of his writing. I wondered what had led me there and then realise it was the anniversary of Dad's death the next day. Subconscious prodding, I guess.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9509 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
There's a large, fluffy ginger cat stuck up our tree, any ideas what we should do?...

Target practice?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cat was trying to get down but it was caught in a fork in the branches (you can see if you enlarge the photo) and its back legs were dangling so it couldn't get purchase with it's back claws. After about four hours I concluded that I'd never sleep with it up there. So I got out the extension ladder and shoved its bum with it.

The cat half fell, half scrambled down.

Relief!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12724 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Imagine what ken would do with Trump!

[Killing me]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Boogie.

The 'Jesuit' rescue was hilarious.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 516 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, MaryLouise, Kenwritez is exercising his many talents in other climes than these. He left us quite unexpectedly some time ago.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never had occasion to discover this before, but medicating Georgie-Porgy has taught me that cats have really strong muscles in their ears. Administering gel when a cat is folding her ears to frustrate you is quite a challenge. Mind you I wouldn't appreciate anyone sticking cold stuff in my ears first thing in the morning either. [Devil]

Huia

[ 20. April 2017, 11:39: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10153 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you enjoyed that thread of KenWritez's, here are some of his best.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20248 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
If you enjoyed that thread of KenWritez's, here are some of his best.

Moo

Whoops! Moo, that thread is about Ken, not KenWritez.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the thread of KenWritez's posts.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19752 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops! Sorry.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20248 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss them both.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9534 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

To be honest what alerted me was the English references and the lack of cat threatening posts.

I too miss them both. John Donne's
No man is an island springs to mind.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant threads and very funny -- wish I'd known both of them.

[ 21. April 2017, 13:13: Message edited by: MaryLouise ]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My diabetic Grandkitty is staying with me for a few days!!

He took his insulin shots very well, and is following me around and purring a lot!

It's nice to have a kitty in the house again. [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17855 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that Mr Lucia and I are both gainfully employed we have returned to the question of acquiring another cat. (Our previous beloved furry friend was rehomed with another family before we moved back to the UK last summer. One of the worst things about leaving...) Today we went to look at a potential cat to adopt at the local Cat's Protection shelter. She is a very friendly small black cat. Rather skinny as she is only about two years old and has had two lots of kittens, the last ones earlier this year. The kittens have been rehomed elsewhere but I think we are going to take her. Much debate this evening about what we might call her!
She needs to have her final vaccinations next week and I need to go shopping for some cat 'equipment' ie bowls, litter tray etc.
It will be funny to have a cat about the house again! Just will have to work out how to discourage her from going after the birds attracted to the bird feeders in the neighbour's garden...

Posts: 1066 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have found a bell to be marvelously effective. It is possible that you cannot know the name of the cat until she moves in. I have an orange cat unoriginally named Tiger. His name should have been Werther, because he's constantly feeling sorry for himself, moaning about how he's starving, unloved, about to perish right here on the doorstep, look at my ribs sticking out...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cat we were looking after was a bit like that, despite being considerably larger when her usual humans came back than she'd been when they left.

Tabby*: Meow!!

Me: No.

Tabby: Meow!!

Me: What part of "no" don't you understand?

Tabby: Meow!!

D.: What part of "meow" don't you understand?

[Killing me]

* talking of imaginative names ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 19752 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, well done learning Cat so quickly! Some people never learn and have no clue what Kitty (or Tabby as the case may be) is talking about! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 17855 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Onyx has gone home with my daughter and son-in-law. *sigh* At least I could have him for a few days!

I did find out something about him during his brief stay here; he's terrified of piano music!! And, I don't think it was because I was playing badly!! My old girl kitties loved sitting with me when I played, but then, they had heard the piano since they were kittens. I suppose it was a normal part of their lives.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Mollie comes to Church with me. She snoozes through the sermons and stands up for the hymns like a good Methodist
[Angel]

We usually have just a piano or organ but, once a month, we have a band with clarinets, sax, flutes and so on - she's fine with all of them.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I think I have finally mastered the art of rubbing gel into the hairless part of Georgie-Porgy's ears without the fuss and drama. (Actually it's more that she is more resigned to having it done and doesn't try to escape, but waits patiently on her mat while I put the gloves on and check the syringe).

I have evolved a regular routine, so we both know the sequence, which ends with her being fed a small sachet of food she really loves, followed by breakfast. Under this regime she is back to normal weight and much happier.

This is such a relief. [Smile]

Huia

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It is astonishing what you can get pets to tolerate, as long as you give them food after. "Sorrow reigneth, but joy cometh in the morning."

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Well. the purveyors of this gastronomic feast appear to think it is a full meal for a cat, but G-P thinks of it as an entrée. [Big Grin]

At least her weight is now within the normal range.

More blood tests and a weigh-in next week.

Huia

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Huia, that's great news about Georgie-Porgy!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed - well done Huia and G-P! [Smile]

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It is astonishing what you can get pets to tolerate, as long as you give them food after. "Sorrow reigneth, but joy cometh in the morning."

Yeah, well I'll tell you what comes in the morning - and it's not joy; it's soft, warm and smelly and gets picked up in bags and carefully disposed of [Projectile] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9955 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat Bjorn is missing. He isn't in my apartment. Either he snuck out when I left this morning or someone was in my apartment during the day. I am devastated. So soon after Spyder died I can't handle this.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11681 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I posted this on the prayer thread, and only now see that you've posted here. Google 'find lost pet' and find a site like this one for your region. There are things you can do to find a lost pet but you should do them soon.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found Bjorn last night, quick work on answered prayers. As I was closing my curtains for bed I spotted him out the window. I ran out and squeezed through a gate and half climbed a fence and was able to get him to come to me and bring him in!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11681 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If they are not accustomed to the outdoors it's all usually overwhelming, and they don't go far. Good for you, that you caught him before he went to ground.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently read that if your indoor cat gets out, you should place the cat's litter box by your door and the cat will find it's way home. Worth a try I would think.
Posts: 2611 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She has arrived! I went and picked up our new cat from the shelter today. At the moment I have confined her to just the living room and the kitchen downstairs but she has realised that there is a door that leads somewhere else and is desperate to explore!
She spent the afternoon thoroughly inspecting, sniffing and investigating her new living arrangements. Has found food, litter tray and scratching post and had made use of each appropriately, and has spent time gazing longingly out of the window either at the garden or the street.
She has been confined to a pen at the cat shelter for three months so I think she is enjoying her new freedom!
She has also happily received a fair amount of fussing and stroking from us. It feels nice to have a cat around the house again!

Posts: 1066 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy new cat! [Smile]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Congratulations Lucia!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

That's wonderful, Lucia! Sounds like the start of a beautiful relationship!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Lovely news Lucia [Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Enjoy the new cat.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to your new kitty. Name?
Posts: 2611 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

I can't believe how relaxed this cat is about being somewhere new! No fear, just curiosity!
Our kids have decided she should be called Ebony. I'm only giving you one guess what colour she is! We're trying to get her used to her new name, using it a lot, especially when feeding her Dreamies (cat treats!).
I found out a bit more of her history from the cat shelter lady. Apparently she was brought in by a gypsy family who had her before. She has obviously been kindly treated as she is very sociable and affectionate with humans but she hadn't been neutered, vaccinated, wormed etc. Don't know why they rehomed her, maybe because of the kittens? She had two grown kittens and was pregnant with two more. Perhaps they couldn't afford to do what was needed for her or didn't want that many cats!
I let her out of the living room and allowed her to explore the stairs, upstairs landing and bathroom. She seemed a little hesitant about the stairs and it occured to me that if she was living with gypsy travellers before she might well not have been in a house with stairs (more likely living in a caravan) and then she was at the cats shelter in a pen. So perhaps stairs are a new experience for her!

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

To make your future life easier:
Vary her diet. Canned, dried, bits of people food, pieces of cantaloupe. Everything. A day may come when you have to put her on a specific diet, and then she'll eat it.
Go buy a packet of Pill Pockets, the treats with a hollow center, and start getting her to like them. When some day you need to pill her, the Pill Pockets will make this chore easy.
Accustom her to riding in the car. You'll have to take her to the vet at some point, and it would be nice if the ride was peaceable. If your wish is to have a boating cat, a cat on a motorcycle, etc., start her as young as you can.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

There used to be a wonderful black cat called Rastus that travelled around NZ on a motorbike with his owner, unfortunately they were both killed in an accident.

I've had two black cats at different times, Mr Mid(night) and the late Great Sam. At present there is a young black cat hanging around that thinks I should adopt her too. I'm not interested because I know where she belongs, but I've named her Spooky because she came in like the ghost of Sam.

Georgie-Porgy hates her and takes the occasional swipe at her.

Huia

[ 07. May 2017, 03:53: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a 10 year old [human] neighbour across the lane who has three cats he has raised from kittens but at least two of them quite fancy being adopted by us - we have decided not to encourage them as this might upset young Surya more than a bit and he is a good lad from a lovely family.

However I rather suspect Himself is encouraging them on the quiet when nobody is watching!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Ebony sounds wonderful as a new cat companion. With an intriguing history, #catenvy. When I've had small kittens or puppies I always get them used to my putting my fingers in their mouths (scooping motions to back of the mouth) and inside ears so that if I have to do it later, they don't get alarmed and bite. Sometimes this has worked.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Long ago one of our churchwardens had a large black cat called Rastus. He had his own footstool with a grospoint top and cabriole legs, but he was so big that when he sat on the footstool with his forepaws folded he looked as though he was standing on four little french-polished wooden legs.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A friend, plagued by mice, asked to borrow a cat. I have three. I would have thought a pest control contractor would be a better bet, but have agreed to lend her my most annoying cat. She is the only cat not on a medical regimen or special diet, and is also a deadly huntress. There was a period where she was bringing home a vole a day, laying them neatly on the front step.
We have gathered a bagful of cat stuff (bowls, favorite sweatshirt to sleep on, etc.) to send with her. I am hoping she'll settle down and start killing; it is possible that she'll go on strike if she dislikes her new digs.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

How's the killing machine doing Brenda?

Winter temperatures have hit here and I was reading a thread on a NZ website about keeping elderly cats warm. When I finished it I went looking for Georgie-Porgy. I found her nestled in one of those shopping totes lined with foil, designed to keep groceries warm or cold until the shopper can get them home. The first time I looked there were only a few black hairs visible, but now she's warmed up a bit her head is sticking out, while her body is in the bag.

She is definitely one of the most entertaining cats I've ever lived with [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the best mental image, Huia...
Posts: 289 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016