homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Rowen
[Votive] Those facing Debbie down

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all in danger from the cyclone.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hear Rowen is delighted with her new spectacles and is in good spirits. Hope many more new good things come her way to replace that which was lost.

Family have all checked in okay...except for the children who are going stir crazy without electronically powered devices to keep them occupied. They have been reduced to the slowdom of actual rather than virtual books, monopoly boards and packs of cards. A second full day without electricity and the parents are beginning to unravel a bit. I checked the stats for Mackay yesterday afternoon on the BOM site and it stated Mackay had !00% humidity.Hmmm.... does this mean they are living in water?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some friends in Mackay are into their second day without power but otherwise are ok. Mackay is fairly low and flat so they may be snorkelling soon.

Pictures this morning are astounding. Tremendous damage over such a wide area.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I notice that if you draw a line directly inland from where the cyclone crossed the coast at Airlie Beach, you find Collinsville, then Lake Proserpine, then the Burdekin Dam. Guess Qld family was right about Debbie heading towards inland water. As it is now just a rain depression I expect things will be just as wet but not as windy for everyone. Mackay rellies have sandbagged as much as possible, but are not looking forward to the next few days. It will become critical when the beer runs out!

They posted a pic of an upturned coffee table and the monopoly scattered everywhere. Guess the kids are getting heartily sick of it all...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope Cyclone Debbie has passed by now and everyone is safe.

Very sad week here in South Africa after the death of human rights activist and Struggle veteran Ahmed Kathrada aged 87 on Tuesday. He spent 26 years in prison on Robben Island alongside Mandela. Kathrada had been ill, so his death wasn't unexpected but a loss all the same.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A generation passing, the one which really suffered in their efforts to bring the extreme racism to an end.

[ 29. March 2017, 08:33: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's how it feels Gee D, the sense of a generation of titans passing. Essa Moosa, the Cape lawyer and judge who fought so hard against apartheid died at the end of February and many of the old leaders of the ANC and UDF are now frail and retired from public life. Archbishop Desmond Tutu sent a message to be read out at Ahmed Kathrada's funeral -- Ahmed Kathrada will be buried next to the grave of his friend and fellow lawyer, the Afrikaner renegade Bram Fischer, about whom Nadine Gordimer wrote in Burger's Daughter. Another world, in which politics was a matter of life and death.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And we, perhaps unfairly, judge those now in power against these and find them lacking.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
(No flowers in church during Lent).

Not being a Lent person, I can only guess the reason for this. Are flowers seen as self-indulgent?
In addition to what others said, I have found that making the church more austere (so no flowers, covered pictures etc) not only focuses the mind on the crucifixion but when you come to church on Easter Sunday and there are flowers and everything is bright and happy it makes the celebration more vibrant & joyous.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Word just in from Rowen asking me to post on this thread for her.

The aches and pains are lessening. She has some new glasses to replace those broken. She is now in a motel, paid for by insurance, while things are being sported. Some progress with insurance and replacement vehicle.

She is very grateful for the friends she has in town who took her in late at night after accident and for those who have added their care and love.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Word just in from Rowen asking me to post on this thread for her.

The aches and pains are lessening. She has some new glasses to replace those broken. She is now in a motel, paid for by insurance, while things are being sported. Oops. Sorted, not sported. Some progress with insurance and replacement vehicle.

She is very grateful for the friends she has in town who took her in late at night after accident and for those who have added their care and love.

[ 30. March 2017, 03:36: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Good to hear Rowen is getting better although I'm sure the shock of an accident like that will stay with her for a while. [Votive]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I gather FD and Clarence are a bit wet

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
That's how it feels Gee D, the sense of a generation of titans passing. Essa Moosa, the Cape lawyer and judge who fought so hard against apartheid died at the end of February and many of the old leaders of the ANC and UDF are now frail and retired from public life. Archbishop Desmond Tutu sent a message to be read out at Ahmed Kathrada's funeral -- Ahmed Kathrada will be buried next to the grave of his friend and fellow lawyer, the Afrikaner renegade Bram Fischer, about whom Nadine Gordimer wrote in Burger's Daughter. Another world, in which politics was a matter of life and death.

(boasting hat on)

I remember being very sad when Beyers Naudé died. I interviewed him once .. quite a dude. And I was Tutu and Leah's driver for three days. But I have mentioned that a few times I suspect!

(boasting hat off)

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

I do not have a causeway near me, but if I did, it would look like the picture I saw elsewhere this morning. Heavy, non stop rain all day here. Cold change from south is now meeting rain from cyclone in north. Trees are wild, not cyclone wild but wild for my sheltered corner of this block. Must see if storm canal is full. Most likely.

FD will be getting cabin fever what with bypass op and this weather.

[ 30. March 2017, 05:28: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Zappa -- Beyers Naudé, Desmond and Leah Tutu. Cherished memories and meant to be shared. Such remarkable and brave people in a dark time. I attended a UCT seminar given by Beyers Naudé in the 1980s with security police hanging about outside in the corridor. He spoke with such sincerity and pain about what was happening to the church in South Africa.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An expat Orcadian living in Broadbeach, Queensland posted a picture on Facebook of his Orkney flag flying proudly and undamaged - they're made to withstand a fair puff of wind. [Smile]

Seriously though - glad to hear that you're all OK.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

So it should be. Broadbeach is a long way from actual cyclone. Yes, wind and rain moved south, even to Sydney which is a very long way away, but Broadbeach would have probably had just a bit of a blow. A bit of typical , laconic, Aussie understatement there. LOL. Qld is a big place and cyclone was based in far north.

Sunshine here , sort of, today but very much cooler and less humid than it has been lately.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

They were flooded in for a while, but not now.

I had to cancel two appointments yesterday and today as we can get to the few shops that opened after their power was restored, but not out of town.

I joined the Uniting Church of Australia a year ago after my house church stopped meeting. They are now electing the council and elders and I have been nominated as an elder. The pastors would like me to accept. I am rather reluctant and wondering how others would approach or react to this.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

All Blacks reveal tactics for complete world domination of rugby.

Nice try, pun unintended.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:

I joined the Uniting Church of Australia a year ago after my house church stopped meeting. They are now electing the council and elders and I have been nominated as an elder. The pastors would like me to accept. I am rather reluctant and wondering how others would approach or react to this.

Is your reluctance based on just having been there a year? From their point of view I can see that having some new blood amongst the Elders could be an advantage. From your point of view - if you're not yet ready, and don't feel confident, discuss it with the Elders. If you still feel really reluctant would "Not yet", be considered an acceptable answer? It leaves the door open for them to ask again later, after you've been around a bit longer.

Huia - been on a Vestry and the words, Never
Again!!
spring to mind.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Daylight this morning when it ought to be. Clocks back. A few weeks and it will be dark early again. I do enjoy light in the early evening, but the cycle goes on.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had heard so many times about clocks being adjusted at 3am that my brain woke me then to do it [Frown]

I did enjoy my later awakening though (7 am) as it was light and we didn't have any of the sea fog which has spoilt the last few mornings.

I even made it to church this morning where we had a trumpet and cornet playing various pieces of music including a couple of verses of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and some brilliant preaching.

We had someone "Preaching for a Call" - I think is the phrase. It's a Presbyterian tradition I don't really understand - but she was great, and if it's a matter of voting or anything I say YES . There's a meeting after church next week. (fingers crossed).

In the interregnum we have had a couple of people who were dire, as well as a couple who were great, but either working elsewhere or retired, and so not available.

Huia

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Home again

Thank you for your prayers. I am thankful to be alive and whole. Work has leased a car, as we begin the process of buying a new suitable vehicle.

It's getting colder in the Alps. No surprise really.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all those dealing with the after effects of TC Debbie and for the ongoing flood issues.

We had all the drama without the pain - exciting flooding of our road, and some loss of telecoms, but otherwise nothing - and it seems somehow wrong we got off so lightly when others are suffering.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Clarence, good to hear you're OK. I had a similar feeling of the wrongness off getting off lightly after the quakes, so I recognise that feeling.

Today at church one of the Elders mentioned a meeting coming up that involved people coming from Marlborough (one of the areas badly affected by earthquakes last year). A gift basket of small, "thinking of you" type things is being collected as a symbol of support. My mind went totally blank on possibilities - then I remembered that planting bulbs as a promise of hope was important to me following the quakes, so I am sending some spring bulbs.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Lovely thought Huia. This week I get to plant some anemones and crocus in my waterless iris pond, and will also be hosting a few rellies from far north Queensland. No doubt they will fill me in on many things that have failed to make headlines down south. As someone with relatives in the affected areas I had the news on pretty much all the time. By the third day I was so tired of the vulture like commentary I just switched off. It seemed that they could hardly wait to report on the first flood related fatality.

Last weekend I was at the Sapphire Coast - towards the bottom of NSW and the wind was fierce enough I could not sleep through it. However it was a southerly buster heading up the coast towards Sydney and a blessing as it forced the moisture from TC Debbie out into the Tasman. I expect not so much of a blessing for our NZ cousins...

BL does not like wind. At all. Thoughts and prayers for all those being blown about by it.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even the tail end of Cyclone Debbie is doing dramatic stuff here, things like: month's rain in 24 hours, kids' school camp cut off, mud slides, man thought to have been seen struggling in water,evacuations taking place before Whanganui river floods, and so on.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

My sister reports that a certain morning show news team are definitely not welcome again in north Queensland. Having landed in Townsville they were miffed at being denied air access to the Whitsundays through emergency services and police channels. Ignoring police advice, they loaded their crew into hired vehicles and went looking for devastation to show their viewers. After using up their petrol and provisions they then had to beg the victims to share with them what little the poor and suffering had left. It was ill considered, intrusive and bad behaviour.

The North Queenslanders en masse turned off the reporting as it was so voyeuristic. Heaven help us, if this is now the standard practise in telecasts. [Projectile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Unfortunately, BL, this does not surprise me. I see an attitude of entitlement among many media members. I remember seeing one reporter trying to jump into ambulance as it left with the two miners rescued from Beaconsfield mine after days and days of being trapped. Disgusting.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After the Virginia Tech shootings, the national media descended on Blacksburg. They behaved as if they believed that the people here had a duty to provide them with stories.

I still cringe when I see a media truck.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

These people did not have the common sense to carry their own water or petrol - did not even occur to them that if there was no electricity then no petrol pumps could work. One local syphoned fuel out of his boat just to get rid of them.

Also copping a serve are those island resort operators who neglected to give booked holiday makers any option of cancelling - or even a heads up that they might run into problems when they arrived. Nightmare stories are now filtering out and to avoid public scrutiny the "missing persons file" quietly grows without being officially linked to the weather event.

After TC Yasi dozens of people from one beachside campsite area went missing. Behind the campsite was a 4-5 metre deep gully, After TC Yasi there was no longer a gully - the topography had been rearranged by the wind and water, and so much sand, soil and vegetation dumped on top it was not feasible to try to excavate it. Access was a huge issue so It was simply left as the probable gravesite of some of the surfing and camping nomads that roam the north coast. They may have got away - they may not. No one really knows.

Hope everyone is now accounted for in NZ. It sounds like it has been a wild few days over there.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Still happening down here, but as far as I know not nearly as badly as further north. I was out in it and the worst few minutes were the 100 metres from the bus stop to home when I was heading into either rain or hail. An hour later and my face and teeth are still aching.

The river at the end of the street doesn't seem to be flooding and the next high tide is in about 7 hours time, so I guess that will be the crunch time (on the other hand the rain is forecast to ease - so it should be OK.

[Votive] For all those affected - in both countries

Next time Australia is welcome to send its used tropical cyclones elsewhere - how about the Anartic?

Huia

[ 06. April 2017, 06:22: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

A very difficult time Huia, waiting for the tide - I hope there's quite a rise from the river to your house. Just seen the photos of Edgecumbe on a news site.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

The river did flood, but further upstream, where it has flooded before. When I opened the back door at 6 am to let the cat out I could hear the sound of water pumps being used, so it has probably flooded somewhere nearby. The river hasn't flooded in this area for years, so long term residents told me, but the earthquakes raised the riverbed so who knows what could happen. There are also helicopters flying around now that it's light. Today's forecast here is for a fine day, which is a relief.

Edgecumbe has had a hard time. They had a big quake in 1987, which changed the shape of the landscape and made the town more flood prone.

Huia- earthquakes, the gift that keeps giving.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Good to hear that you're safe. But let's also remember those who were out in the night on emergency work, many of them volunteers.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yes indeed, Gee D. I used to mind young grandchildren while DIL was on SES work. I remember she was away several days on flood relief work further north. She was exhausted and arrived home with nothing dry, all wet and smelly. Those volunteers and others like them do dangerous, hard work.

Others in family were with RFS till injury forced withdrawal.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for all affected.

From what I've seen of New Zealand (on film and TV), it looks like such an utterly beautiful place, if it would only stay still. [Eek!]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Not just beautiful Piglet, but so clean. Once you get out of the big cities, you can feel the fresh air drink from many creeks and so forth.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dropping in for a breather from the real world.

My usual Easter dramas have their usual Easter dramas! Two of the cast returned from Cadet Camp on crutches, while of more concern is our guitarist who admitted himself to hospital with depression on Thursday. (Please pray for N.) Thus I will be stepping to the breach for our three lead up performances (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights) and the main gig on Good Friday in the city.

Numbers are not exact but I think Thursday night at my home church could be the 100th time I've directed an Easter drama performance. Will reflect on that and the future after Easter.

Kids all on church camp so Mrs Curly and I, while we didn't organise our weekend away, are looking forward to a smidge of peace and quiet tonight before opening night tomorrow night.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

What a dramatic start to a season, Mr Curly. Prayers definitely for N, in a nasty situation. Not too sure how Biblically authentic the crutches would be - perhaps some rough wooden ones might pass muster.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

An interesting article in today's Guardian. It speaks of the by-elections, starting with Gosford and then moving to the one in North Shore - which does not cover the North Shore at all, rather some northern harbourside suburbs, but we'll let that pass. It then moves on to the electorate of Manly as being "further north"!!!! Most of us would say east of the area stretching from Wollstonecraft to Mosman. This in what's supposed to be a serious newspaper.

Time for Dog's walk, ruminating on changed geography.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Gee D, I guess if they gave directions purely from a map, then those suburbs are North Shore. I very much doubt Rose Bay would appreciate being called a southern suburb because it is on southern side of the harbour. [Biased] Gosford is obviously a bit north to be called North Shore in the eyes of someone who does not know not only Sydney but also Sydney traditions, for want of a better word.

Gosford used to be Liberal but has well and truly switched. My youngest son lives and works in the area and reports to me of feelings there. Very much Labor now. He spends time before any elections to decide which group gets the privilege of being place last on his ballot paper. Spoilt for choice in Senate votes, but this was easier.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
An interesting article in today's Guardian. It speaks of the by-elections, starting with Gosford and then moving to the one in North Shore - which does not cover the North Shore at all, rather some northern harbourside suburbs, but we'll let that pass. It then moves on to the electorate of Manly as being "further north"!!!! Most of us would say east of the area stretching from Wollstonecraft to Mosman. This in what's supposed to be a serious newspaper.

Time for Dog's walk, ruminating on changed geography.

Meh ... everything from Wollongong to the Hawkesbury and inland to Katoomba is just an amorphous grey mass! [Biased]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Wet and windy. Young friend studying to be a doctor hit a slippery patch on the Federal highway yesterday and flipped his car. After emerging and checking he was okay a second car with an elderly driver came around the bend, slipped on the same patch and hit a tree. Emergency services, when they arrived, were somewhat surprised to find the occupant of the first accident doing first aid on the occupant of the second accident. Take care on the roads today - it looks like it is not good driving weather all across the southern and eastern states.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I live in Wilton. I know people near the northern boundary who give their address as Wadestown, which must have more prestige, being a much older subdivision with its share of notable homes. Someone bang in the middle of Wilton was offended when a land agent used the expression 'middle-class'. Others use the designation 'Otari', reverting, as the local school did, to the Maori name.
Our cul-de-sac, which has been here 50-odd years, appears on GPS screens as a blue dot and nothing more. Two taxis and an AA mechanic have reminded us always to give our address as 'off Warwick Street'. This message didn't reach the man who was coming to deal with my flat battery last week, but he did spot the street sign as he drove past, directed by his GPS voice to go down the hill, turn right (we were on his left) and head off into the blue.
OTOH my taxi driver when I headed home from A&E the other night (and that's another story) had a larger and more sophisticated device which I think directed him correctly. He said it should do: it had cost him $1500. But then he had me there to direct him anyway.

GG (unashamedly middle class)

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That sounds nasty, BL. It is lovely here so far, cool but sunny. Unlike last night when I could see distant lightning and was just checking radar on storm when it arrived in full force. Widespread over a large swathe of the state.

[ 09. April 2017, 21:34: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Satirist John Clarke dies while hiking.

He will be missed, a very clever man, born in NZ but working here for years. I loved the brilliant film of the preparations for Sydney Olympics where he seemed to have prophetic gift for snags and disasters. I tried to never miss the Thursday night series with Brian Dawe, just before the ABC news. Four minutes of rueful laughter.

[ 10. April 2017, 02:36: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Groans from our household as well. After chewing through all the crap dished up on the weekly political menu he and Bruce always delivered the tastiest morsels to savour. A unique and delightful talent and I am so glad Oz and NZ got to share him.

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016