homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Atlantic!?!? Indian Ocean, I think. I haven't had a coffee yet, if that is an excuse.

Of course that is an excuse, Ian. One I use myself.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our South Island cousin, our paternal family researcher, was contacted by a woman whose grandparent had been one of two children sired by our great-uncle Tom. Cousin knew members of this family and they had quite a fun reunion; the illegitimate daughter who'd made contact had always proudly given Tom's name as her father on legal documents. Tom had one legitimate son and four grandsons, of whom three were fascinated by the new information; the fourth said it must have been someone else of the same name.
A second cousin remembered great-uncle Tom, who used to visit his family, and who still gave the impression of being a bit of a lad.
Even more shocking for the upset grandson (if it even reached him) was a press cutting of the wayward young woman taking Tom to court for financial support. She claimed that he'd come with his sister to an arranged meeting and had pushed her to the ground. The magistrate found that a financial arrangement had already been made between the two families, that the young woman had a history of fainting, and ruled that there was no case to answer.
When family history is concerned, some of us have a good laugh and others go into denial.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't remember the exact details (even if I ever knew them) but I understand that the emigration to Australia of two of my great-aunts sometime around the time of the First World War was precipitated by an illegitimate birth.

I think the baby stayed in the UK and was brought up by her grandmother (my great-grandmother) as though she was one of her own children, but the mother and one of her sisters emigrated.

Anything to avoid a scandal, eh? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I felt really sorry for a young, married woman several generations back in my family tree. Her husband came on ahead to prepare a place for the family, and when she arrived she found he was living with another woman. ( My mother, who was the youngest in her family and 'protected' by them, wasn't told this until she was married with children herself).

My Aunt, who had a copy of her Grandfather's marriage certificate and the birth certificate of his son, laughed when she realised the son was born only a few months before the wedding because said Grandfather was always very 'proper' and censorial about anyone else's behaviour. Mum, probably because she had been so sheltered, was [Eek!]

Huia

[ 26. May 2017, 23:39: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just had a conversation with one of my daughters who had never heard the term "common law wife".

Family trees do open up some interesting subjects!

Also had to explain to her why one of her great grandfathers, who was Chinese, would marry an English woman and not a Chinese one.

When I told her there were no Chinese women, because they were not allowed to emigrate here, she asked Why?

Therein followed a thumbnail explanation of the White Australia Policy, but she still could not grasp the past reality that if, as a Chinese Christian, he wanted to legally marry, he had to marry either a white or a native woman. Or a half-caste.

Nope, didn't understand what that was either. Makes me rather pleased we have moved this far in so few generations. Not fast enough for some, and still a long way to go with how we treat refugees...but it does give hope that things will not always be this way.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
In other, totally unrelated news...The Bishop of Christchurch has announced that the decision on what is to be done about the earthquake wrecked Cathedral will be made at the Diocesan Synod in September...and there is a well connected outside pressure group that wants total restoration of the building to its pre-quake condition,this will probably not be received well in the wider community.

Why oh why rebuild a building that is a not particularly exciting copy of hundreds of buildings across Europe. Why not build something new and striking and exciting and noteworthy. Sydney Opera House is an icon because it is exciting in a way it would not be if it were a facsimile of European opera houses.

[ 27. May 2017, 12:14: Message edited by: Dal Segno ]

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Couldn't agree more Dal. The problem is that many people in Christchurch have an emotional attachment to the old building, derivative though it is. It is seen by many, who may only walk in the door to donate presents at Christmas, if that, as a landmark and a symbol of Christchurch. Even when The Visitors' Centre was added to the side there were irate letters to the paper along the lines of "how dare the Anglicans change our building?" Christchurch has a history of social justice, but in many ways is a conservative place.

Ratepayers money has also been used to strengthen it and for running costs.

I like the idea of Synod deciding, but am mindful that the Minister for Earthquake Recovery has wide, (some would say draconian) powers, which she has said she is reluctant to use, but given that developers are putting pressure on, and it's election year, who knows what might happen.

Huia

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL and others undertaking online genealogical research, take caution.

We have been doing the same, but have found many discrepancies. In one case, when we consulted the original records with the help of local experts on Guernsey, it was found that whoever had done the previous online work had followed the wrong family line altogether. We have even found an error in the standard reference book on Guernseaise emigrants to Australia which attributed a cousin to our mob who didn't belong.

My wife is currently following online some very distant threads of her family who seem to have emigrated to WA, but I am treating that with some caution until we check sources.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
...our mob...

That is a perfect descriptor for my family!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
...our mob...

That is a perfect descriptor for my family!
I have set up a login for the younger grandchildren on my computer. Name? The mob. They actually like it after I read riot act to them about even thinking of using my login. If I know they are coming, I logout before they get here. Better safe than sorry.

[ 28. May 2017, 09:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, I am as guilty as any of making wrong assumptions - especially when many families use the same Christian names in every generation and along every branch of the tree. So I am crosschecking the census roles with parish registers just to make sure. I have also spent the last two days plotting every family with the same surname in lower Cornwall for my own peace of mind. It is quite entertaining!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mother's cousin once received a letter from someone in England claiming kinship with her father's family. All the names were spot on, but totally misplaced. As George Bernard Shaw once said, in quite another context, "My dear, you know all the words, but you haven't the right cadence"

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
... "My dear, you know all the words, but you haven't the right cadence"

Or, as the late comedian Eric Morecambe put it, "I was playing the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order".

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Ah, but if you go back far enough, there is probably going to be a connection. Just not in the generation you first thought. At the moment I have lost one of my forebears completely. He was a 15 year old at home with his family in Penzance in the 1841 census and emigrated to Oz in 1858 with wife and child. But he is not listed anywhere in the 1851 UK census.

I am now rather mystified as to where he might have gone. Perhaps, as a joiner, he might have been a ship's carpenter for a while. Maybe he was out on a smuggling run!

The census records are quite fascinating in themselves as a snapshot of households in the 1840's. Particularly the lists of those in poorhouses and asylums. I am guessing that the church also supported widows who clubbed together to live - there are a few households that seem to be full of unrelated women of all ages. Given the dangers of working on the sea or down a mine, widowhood was not uncommon at any age.

Unless these are covens or cathouses! I am also guessing that the group houses along places like Market St could be taverns or fish shops or whatever other enterprises were operating along the town foreshores of the time. So guesswork is part of the sleuthing. Sometimes it's right and sometimes not, but a considered guess can still lead down fascinating paths.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please remember also that among the farm laborers and that class in England at least, spelling of family names is anything but reliable, depending on the accent of the person registering the name and the wit of the person registering it, especially in the days when the parish clerk did it.

My late uncle managed to work out a family tree for his father's family in Devon, back to sometime in the 1560s. Many or most of them would have been illiterate until at least the mid 1800s. In no two successive generations was the family name spelt the same. I grant you it's not like Smith or Black, but still...

In fact in my own great-grandfather's family (two sets of children by successive wives), the name was spelt one way for two children (of four) by his first wife, and for three children (of five) by his second, and a different way for the rest. And he was certainly not illiterate.

Just don't take too much for granted.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes, I was puzzled by one person being listed with the surname Hanes in one register and same person as Hawes in another until I realised that in handwritten records it would not be difficult to mistake an N for a W. Or vice versa. I have no idea which is correct now. And I am aware of the plethora of spelling anomalies, and happily disregard vowels, plurals and double letters. Though I still smile when they are listed as "Henery" & "Mertha". I am guessing that is pretty close to how the occupant of the household described their names to the census man!

One thing that seems to have tripped up a lot of others working on this particular branch is assuming that "Christian" is always a male name. My lot seem to have used it only for female children, as the census records clearly show. And I do feel sorry for the poor little tot baptized "Triphena. " I wonder how that went down in a fishing village!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Wow! I have just heard Bishop Victoria Matthews interviewed on the radio about the future of the Cathedral. Apparently it was part of a longer interview which will be posted online later. She questioned spending millions of dollars on a building when there are so many people in pain. Suicide has increased alarmingly since the quakes and there is strong evidence of a growing mental health crisis.

I think some of her response is because the government has offered a loan of millions to the Church and she is saying it would be better spent on mental health.

I'll try to find it on the RNZ website because I need to hear it again, but what I heard impressed me.
Checkpoint interview

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good on her - probably there are many more who need help than attend the Cathedral on any sort of regular basis. I appreciate the symbolism that a rebuilt Cathedral would bring, but a less expensive version and use the balance elsewhere may be the way to go.

[ 29. May 2017, 07:51: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This was my take on it – Joe Bennett had referred to an article in the Sunday paper, which I don't get.

The Christchurch cathedral formed the centrepiece of a city that was to reproduce the society that the settlers left behind in the Old Country: Anglican, where everyone knew their place and all worshipped in a Gothic cathedral every Sunday.

The society that has developed in the intervening years is very different, and an imitation Gothic cathedral does not symbolise the culture of the 21st century. One wonders how many of the people who are so determined to have it restored would be regular worshipers.

It grieves me to think of the glorious churches that have been built in other countries in the last century, as well as on a smaller scale in New Zealand, while we are offered a rebuild of a structure that doesn't belong in this place and time.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

I should have said – I sent this to the DomPost. They print about one in seven of what I send them.

GG

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Lovely surprise packet in the mail this week with a photo in it of one of my great grandmothers. Only ever knew her by name and did not know a photo of her existed. It is interesting how much one can tell from a photo. She was caught in mid stride, erect as a ramrod and with a bag clamped firmly under her elbow. She is looking purposefully ahead.

Not to be messed with, I suspect! My old mum told me yesterday that her father did not get along with his wife's mother at all. But then that is the lot for most mother-in-laws I know.

Anyway, I enjoyed getting the photo immensely - and probably moreso because it was not a posed shot.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I had a great aunt who sounds similar. Her back never touched the back of the dining chair she sat on, never a lounge chairs and she stood very straight. A person of very definite views which she was good at promoting.The last on her side of the family, Alberta. There was an Albert in each generation but as she appeared to be the last, she became Alberta, which she hated. Late in life she changed it to something very different.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yay, tomorrow I'm off to the West Coast for the day. A friend has work over there so I am hitching a ride. The forecast is for sunny weather and no rain [Yipee] which isn't bad for an area that had 18 metres [Eek!] of rain one year (the average being only 14 metres).

Hoki is my favourite small town and a walk along the beach with its crashing surf will blow away the cobwebs.

I'm also hoping to see some keas at Arthurs Pass, but numbers ate dwindling a bit [Waterworks]

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Safe travels, Huia, and have a great time! [Smile]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Who remembers the days of he street photographers? They were a part of a trip into the city; they stood on the footpath and snapped you as you approached, and I think they'd take one or two more if you were in the mood. Then you had to be able to go into the shop next trip to town to look at proofs and hopefully order one or two.
I know there were one or two among our family archives but I don't know of whom or where they were taken.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yes, GG I remember as a child that i hoped they would not step out in front of me. I hated having my photo taken. There was a small space between two buildings in Market Street in Sydney city. Just over the road from our hairdresser. A photographer kept his equipment there and would pop out unexpectedly.

I have a couple of photos of my mum from that era and some others of other members of the family. One of mum in particular was a superb photo, could hardly have been bettered in a studio.

I find them interesting now as they give some idea of every day "good" clothes and fashions. Shoes and bags too, and all the womenb wore hats to town.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes indeed. Great grandmama was a dressmaker, so the dress is quite something, with a scarfed neckline, and a contrasting cloche hat. It's a black and white photo, and she is past middle age, but clearly took care in what she wore. Unfortunately it is just a grainy photocopy of an old snapshot, so I won't be framing it. But fascinating nevertheless. The old daguerrotype on my mantel is of my father's great great grandsire. Dark jacket, dark cravat and white wescott...he is sitting in a chair, posed like a gentleman. In real life he was a carpenter and cabinet maker, and the rather large ruddy nose and his girth suggests he liked a pint or two.

I just hope my kids don't toss the lot into the recycling bin when I go.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy travels Huia!

Hadn't heard of street photographers...

Took a walk along the Kiewa River this morning [dr told me I'm Vitamin D deficient and need to get out more - when it's 0C in the morning before work I don't feel like it!], near my manager's house, and who should I bump into when getting out the car but him, his 2 kids and dog. Walked with them for a while.

13C now, but warm in the sun. Off to sweep the leaves...the trees around me are almost bare.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
quote:
In other, totally unrelated news...The Bishop of Christchurch has announced that the decision on what is to be done about the earthquake wrecked Cathedral will be made at the Diocesan Synod in September...and there is a well connected outside pressure group that wants total restoration of the building to its pre-quake condition,this will probably not be received well in the wider community.

Why oh why rebuild a building that is a not particularly exciting copy of hundreds of buildings across Europe. Why not build something new and striking and exciting and noteworthy. Sydney Opera House is an icon because it is exciting in a way it would not be if it were a facsimile of European opera houses.
Because it is/was part of the history of the city and of the antipodes. I appreciate that it might not be the best thing to do to rebuild what was there before but I believe we need to acknowledge that the Cathedral in Christchurch was a much loved and significant piece of architecture and respect that, even if ultimately it is decided to build a more economically sensible and earthquake resistant structure.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
quote:

Because it is/was part of the history of the city and of the antipodes. I appreciate that it might not be the best thing to do to rebuild what was there before but I believe we need to acknowledge that the Cathedral in Christchurch was a much loved and significant piece of architecture and respect that, even if ultimately it is decided to build a more economically sensible and earthquake resistant structure.
Is the Coventry solution appropriate here then?

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

The Coventry solution has been suggested by a few people Dal, but doesn't seem to have much support. I can see that it would acknowledge the historical aspects, but from what I can see (and I don't follow the arguments in detail) it seems to be a compromise that would make few people happy. Those who are most interested in the historical aspects seem to be arguing for a replica of what was.

I am aware I may not be doing their arguments justice, and am conflicted about this myself. In the past I was a volunteer there, and a Cathedral Regular (it's not a Parish, so doesn't have parishioners), but for various reasons had moved on before the quakes started, although I continued some contact with the people, and my gig on Christmas eve minding the tree.

I think the past can be acknowledged, but would prefer to see a building that reflects present day NZ, and can be used by people, rather than being a historical monument.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a good piece on the subject

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Here's a good piece on the subject

Thanks - that's very helpful.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Grandson, aged 5, took a tumble yesterday and was yelling in pain. His mother was a bit mystified as to where exactly it was hurting. Finally she asked him if he had hurt his "boy bits". He asked what she meant. Thereafter followed an anatomy lesson.
When his father arrived home, master 5 informed him quite seriously that he had fallen off a chair and hurt his "skittles."

I suspect this terminology is going to be in our family for a long time to come...

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks for posting that Zappa - I had missed that week's Listener

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Another thought on the forebears popped up. Paternal Grandmother had Ideas – can you blame her for giving her elder son every opportunity to go to university and become a headmaster, even if the other kids got pushed into the background; the family were probably not far from illiteracy. She did, however, note that her mother-in-law and her sisters had made kid gloves, a suitable activity for young Ladies. What she didn't appreciate was that her husband's family were farm labourers from a village where glovemaking was a village craft, meaning that children didn't have to go off into service or working for other masters, but worked together as a family in winter when there was not so much to do on the farm work. That they had wits if not education led them to emigrate when there was much rural unrest over the low wages and condition of farm workers.
I only met Dad's mum once, and all I remember is her telling me that if I went outside in summer I should wear a good hat and gloves to keep my skin nicely pale.

GG

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And in the southern hemisphere it would probably be much healthier for us to wear hats and gloves as well as sunbloc!

Severe winter storms battering the Cape, trees down, roofing blown off, flooded roads and hundreds homeless an sheltering in community halls -- wildfires caused by lightning causing havoc in Knysna and eight dead so far. Much needed rain but accompanied by really destructive weather conditions.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, we've had a squally change, but not even the powerful April cyclone caused 8 deaths. And fires amongst it all as well! Remembering you all.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
And in the southern hemisphere it would probably be much healthier for us to wear hats and gloves as well as sunbloc!

Severe winter storms battering the Cape, trees down, roofing blown off, flooded roads and hundreds homeless an sheltering in community halls -- wildfires caused by lightning causing havoc in Knysna and eight dead so far. Much needed rain but accompanied by really destructive weather conditions.

Just saw this on news. Prayers for all, it certainly looked violent.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks and sounds awful - [Votive] for all there [Votive]

[ 08. June 2017, 12:17: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Much needed rain but accompanied by really destructive weather conditions.

And isn't that so often the way, "nature, red in tooth and claw"?

Thoughts and prayers ... my FB connections in your area are keeping me up to date

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

{{MaryLouise and everyone in the Southern Cape}}

[Votive]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Thoughts and prayers especially with the people of Kynsna,on the South African south coasts, where people have lost lives in the fires [Tear]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back on line briefly, we have cables down in my neighborhood. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, this has been a horrible week. Latest news is large numbers missing as more than 4 000 people have been displaced along the Knysna fireline, homes destroyed, destruction of forests, a young volunteer firefighter dead.

And down in the Cape so many homeless and sheltering in community halls, snow falling on the Cape mountains, the elderly and babies sick, low-lying areas still flooded. Collecting blankets and tinned foods to take to shelters, but so much more is needed in terms of infrastructure, upliftment and municipal services, a better co-ordinated emergency response.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

[Votive]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Votive] from here, too.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Compass, Channel 2 next Saturday, 6:00 pm is on Father Rod Bower from Gosford Anglican. Episode titled This troublesome priest. On ivew from day after. Download app if needed for iview.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Moderate quake last night. Probably too small to cause damage but, before I checked, enough to make me wonder if it was a bigger one elsewhere - it wasn't. I'm a bit jumpy since the Kaikoura one last year that caused me to evacuate due to a possible tsunami. I hope it didn't disturb visiting Lions or their supporters too much. Mind you if they were outside at an after-match function they may just have put it down to the beverages consumed. [Biased]

Huia

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Huia and those in quake-prone regions.
[Votive] ML and those impacted by horrific weather and fires.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Prayer much needed here -- the fireline still extends more than 100km between Sedgefield and Plettenberg Bay. More emergency personnel and firefighters brought in, helicopters waterbombing inaccessible ares. Emergency food and medical supplies arriving, donations pouring in to vetted Knysna Disaster Relief organisations. But until the fires are put out, nothing can be done and the bigger picture showing the scale of the disaster won't emerge.

Huia, I'm glad the quake was just moderate. Right now with blustery winds and snow on the mountains, I'm watching the weather quite nervously.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016