homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bishop Kay Goldsworthy has been awarded an AO in today's Honours List. Congratulations to her, but given that a dressmaker was awarded an AC, Bp Kay should have been awarded that.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've met her occasionally - she left my almer mater the year before I started. I've been impressed by her integrity over the years, and think it's a fine award for her. Will she be ++ Perth, though?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect not, bearing in mind one of the Assistant Bishops there - but she's well qualified for it.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I've met her occasionally - she left my almer mater the year before I started. I've been impressed by her integrity over the years, and think it's a fine award for her. Will she be ++ Perth, though?

I'm sure she's too smart to take on such a poisoned chalice!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a couple of weeks in, but I'm finally catching up on iView with David Stratton's Stories of Australian Cinema . It's a rather marvellous perspective on Australia, its culture and its maturing film industry. Highly recommend it!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fr Rod Bower was elsewhere saying the parish of Gosford has a history of troublesome priests active in indigenous affairs etc. Compass tonight on Channel 2 at 6:00 pm explores the current troublesome priest.

[ 16. June 2017, 23:50: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here we are only two days from the winter solstice and the dashboard readout at lunchtime today was 24degC. Climate change anyone?
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can send it down here. Birds doing it tough this week with so many birdbaths frozen solid...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went up to Newcastle, well, just north at Port Stephens but few people here know where that is so I say Newcastle...anyway...went up there over the weekend and it was pleasantly warm compared to life on the Murray. My parents complained at how cold it was; it felt like an early spring to me. [Smile]

Thanks for the TV recommendations too...perfect viewing for the cool winter nights.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TP & I took refuge from the fog and frost at the cinema today...I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the script writing in Wonder Woman. Far exceeded my expectations (which admittedly were rather low) and without thinking too much about immortal beings dying, ethnic minorities black marketeering in the middle of no man's land and Remus Lupin becoming Ares... I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great bit of escapism and some interesting myth weaving.

Nothing like a bit of midwinter to make one appreciate the Marvel Universe.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yo, Australia.
My mate AwkwardAnglican may be down here soon. Make them feel welcome, yeah? You all being sweethearts and all ...

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
AwkwardAnglican
Apprentice
# 18802

- Posted      Profile for AwkwardAnglican   Author's homepage   Email AwkwardAnglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Yo, Australia.
My mate AwkwardAnglican may be down here soon. Make them feel welcome, yeah? You all being sweethearts and all ...

Naw, you're making me even more awkward.

--------------------
Happy shall he be who takes your little ones:
and dashes them against the stones.
Psalm 137:9

Posts: 1 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to you. DK has possibly told you about us. Not sure what he might have said, but we are welcoming. Settle in, look around,check out the Ten Commandments. There is a link to them at top of page. Get a feel for the different boards.

Lothlorien AS Host.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

You do realise we are welcoming AA on the winter solstice. Google informs me this will occur at exactly 2.24pm Eastern Australian time this afternoon.

I shall toast some marshmallows to celebrate that the sun will be up for longer each day from now on. TP informs me it is only a few seconds each day until the equinox in September, but the little flower in my soul will grasp at any thought of more sunshine in the day right now.

BL...dreaming of warm sunshine....

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Oh yeah, hi AA!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
You do realise we are welcoming AA on the winter solstice. Google informs me this will occur at exactly 2.24pm Eastern Australian time this afternoon.

I shall toast some marshmallows to celebrate that the sun will be up for longer each day from now on. TP informs me it is only a few seconds each day until the equinox in September, but the little flower in my soul will grasp at any thought of more sunshine in the day right now.

BL...dreaming of warm sunshine....

More sunshine BL but colder weather because the earth slants more away from the sun . I am currently sitting at table in brilliant sunshine through balcony door. MY feet are very warm as sun is directly on them. I have sun in my loungeroom till about 2;00 PM, although by that time, it is just a narrow strip.

In summer, the sun is higher so it does not come in at all.

[ 20. June 2017, 23:01: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Still waiting for the sun to appear here, Loth. It is 9.40am and no sign of it. I have wet washing ready to go on the line but am not going to put it out until at least the fog lifts. It is dark by 5pm.

Spending today doing a paper purge = I probably have enough for a bonfire! Of course, that won't happen as it too is now against council regs.

Grateful for all the pansies and violets in our garden, which seem blithely unaffected by the frosts. Unlike me. Brrrrr.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have good new roller blinds on balcony doors. They are shut by 5:00 pm and make a marvellous difference to the warmth in the room.. There is quite a drqaught set up by interchange of heat inside and chill outside. I can feel the difference as soon as I put them dow. Yes, dark at that time of the afternoon, and I really prefer to be able to see out. However I have used my big gas heater only a few times and with gas going up as well as electricity, that must be a plus.

Have you tried negotiating a new rate for utilities? I had a pensioner concession and was paying wit with that, just for my use, almost as much as son paid fopr three people with long showers etc. I rang and now no longer have that concession but a much cheaper rate overall with more off because I pay by direct debit and therefore pay on time. I could hardly believe how much cheaper it was with new arrangements.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a good overhang so the sun warms the living room beautifully in winter. On a cold day, though, the heat pump on 18° has me too hot with a cardy on and not quite warm enough without.

Some people just have to find something to complain about.

My winter flowering kowhai has been in bloom for about ten days. While the common spring ones will be covered in gold in September for about a week and then it's all over, mine continues to produce flowers for almost four months. And I don't know where I got it, about 40 years ago – maybe an angel dropped it.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Freezing cold here in South Africa despite sunshine, aloes flowering red and bright yellow. Magnificent sunrises. I'm up to see them because I have so much writing/editing work on my desk (not a complaint).

As always, we could do with rain.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, I wonder if that is a Stephen's Island kowhai? They start flowering in winter, and flower for longer, than most of the others. Also, initially at least, they grow more horizontally than vertically. I used to have one, but mow have only the smaller one with twisted branches.

In honour of the shortest day, and the coming colder weather, I've added another blanket to my bed. I've found that a blanket immediately on top of the top sheet provides more warmth when first getting into bed than does a duvet which is cotton covered.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Freezing cold here in South Africa despite sunshine, aloes flowering red and bright yellow. Magnificent sunrises. I'm up to see them because I have so much writing/editing work on my desk (not a complaint).

Your first line reminds me to ask how housing those whose houses burned or were storm damaged are being accommodated.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by AwkwardAnglican:
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Yo, Australia.

Naw, you're making me even more awkward.
Hey, bro, wassup?

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

(oh, hosts, should I have offered a translation for that /\ ? [Biased] )

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The hosts here in AS are magnanimous and forgiving...

...sometimes.

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, GeeD. I'm not sure how to answer that and haven't really wanted to post on it because there's no good news. The (mostly white) owners of beach houses and suburban homes are probably waiting for insurance payouts and hoping smaller insurance companies don't go bankrupt. Those in disadvantaged communities (RDP housing) may be hoping municipal or government authorities help with rebuilding housing. Those from informal settlements are probably scrounging around for pieces of corrugated iron and cardboard in order to put up new shacks. Many are still squatting in community halls. And we're in mid-winter.

South Africa's a very hard country for most people to survive in and the lack of infra-structure means that charitable donations and goodwill don't go very far. It's both First World and developing world rolled up into one and last week it was revealed that because of chronic unemployment, more than 17-million South African are dependent on paltry social grants. Natural disasters just leave people much, much worse off.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Not good news at all. I suppose that many of the residents can just get by on their day-to-day expenses, but something like this is too far beyond them. Probably so far beyond them that they are dispirited to the extent that thinking about what they can do is out.

Many of the South Pacific Islands are in a different category. There's no money, but by the same token there's ample food for all and you don't see people without food or the sort of basic shelter that has done them for centuries. It is basic, but come a cyclone, the house gets blown over but rebuilding is a community activity and gets done.

[ 22. June 2017, 06:40: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Well, there's no shortage of ingenuity or resolve in informal settlements, but soils are poor and water is in short supply so growing your own food isn't feasible in most places, more sophisticated or durable building materials are unavailable, there is limited access to running water or electricity or municipal services or healthcare. And these settlements aren't co-operative 'communities' as such -- they have serious problems with gangsterism, xenophobia, gender violence and drug-fuelled anti-social behaviour.

This is an example of what I'm talking about: Hellish Blikkiesdorp

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That is real poverty indeed. The islanders I was referring to have no money but they are not in that sort of poverty at all. Of course, we've not been to Fiji since the coups, but beforehand it was a very pleasant place for a winter holiday - warm, close and welcoming to tourists. No beggars on the streets then, and as I said, no-one looked to be underfed. Certainly not the crime referred to in this article and I doubt that that has changed.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
GG, I wonder if that is a Stephen's Island kowhai? They start flowering in winter, and flower for longer, than most of the others. Also, initially at least, they grow more horizontally than vertically. I used to have one, but mow have only the smaller one with twisted branches.

Huia

Yes, that's what I think it is. I hadn't heard of the horizontal shape but it is that, very graceful. I love it to bits, and so does the tui – and there's been a couple of kereru around lately. They tend to ignore tui if he tries to chase them off.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good for the kereru - tui are really aggressive. I should get another Stephen's Island kowhai as they flower when nothing much else is around, and the one with the twisty branches is very slow growing.

About 60 years ago Mum planted her first kowhai hoping tui would come - which they did, about 40 years later when the possum culling got underway. I was always glad she lived long enough to enjoy watching them.

MaryLouise, I hope the insurance companies stay solvent. My insurance company - a national one, but based in Christchurch, was bailed out by the government following the quakes here. The uncertainty added horribly to the stress, which is ongoing for some people whose claims are not yet settled over 6 years later.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

A distant family member sent me a USB stick with various records on it. In amongst the stuff was this link.

Relative who set this psalm to music was apparently a singing master in Caythorpe, and his manuscript of psalm settings is in the British Library. Someone resurrected his setting for Psalm 47 and set it to music...I am assuming on instruments of the 18th century. So, by the wonders of technology, I am able to listen on my computer to something one of my ancestors wrote 200 years ago. Simply amazing.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That is very interesting BL. I am not surprised at all by your reaction to it. I think I would feel much the same way.

My great grandfather drove first car over the Blue Mountains. To Lithgow. Not the first car on the mountains but Sir Mark Foy had his taken by trainto the HydroMajestic which he built . He believed the mountains were too steep for it to climb. I think my brother has the photo of it.

A few weeks ago, I found a facsimile of a letter he wrote about it and another of replacing theengine in 1928. Fascinating.

Enjoy your studies and hopefully more serendipitous discoveries too.

[ 23. June 2017, 00:15: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
we've not been to Fiji since the coups

Kuruman is there at this very moment

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Tomorrow I was to have quite scary surgery, a laminectomy.
Just before lunch I got a call to say it was postponed as the surgeon was unwell.
I'd got myself mentally prepared, cancelled things and organised others – and my son, my only next of kin and support (well, friends were stepping into the breech), was off to China the same day for nine days.
And worst of all, I'd originally been offered an earlier date but at short notice, and I'd opted to have more time to get organised.

Well, I hope I don't go right to the bottom of the list, having started out at the top.

GG, busy finding ways to cheer myself up.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Prayers, GG for a swift and successful completion of this.. There are some things you need to "get your head around" as my friend with dementia says.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
we've not been to Fiji since the coups

Kuruman is there at this very moment
I don't want to sound holier-than-thou, but we decided that after the coups we'd no sooner go there than to South Africa.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I hope that whenever you get to the operating table, all goes well.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GG, I hope he recovers soon and the operation happens soon.

We had swallows doing acrobatics in the air over the street again when I came home today. I'd been feeling a bit blue and they broke my mood so I was really grateful to them.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Lovely to see swallows doing their figures of eight!

And GG I hope that op is rescheduled soon.

Call from a close friend to say her daughter's partner has had a severe manic episode and has been hospitalised. I've wondered what was wrong and why she couldn't talk about her daughter or stress levels in recent weeks, thought she might have had depression herself. No, it was all about confidentiality and shame. If the partner had hurt himself physically, I would have had blow-by-blow accounts. But because he has been diagnosed as acutely bipolar, everything is being hushed up and only a handful of people 'know', all of whom are minimising and telling each other it was just one outbreak and once his meds are 'tweaked' he will be fine. His stigmatised condition is to be hidden away -- his mother doesn't believe it is anything more than an 'emotional upset' and she doesn't want malicious gossip.

In reality, he tried to destroy a city apartment and the police were called. He threatened his professor at the university and has been asked to take a break from his course. He gave away large sums of money to friends and the friends are being asked (tactfully) to return the money. Etc, etc. His parents are paying for psychiatric care (they fired a psychiatrist who told them something they didn't want to hear), begging my friend's daughter to marry the partner and start a family so as to give him something to live for.

I know this is what happens, I've been through something similar in my own family. But between the secrecy, denial and determination to put everything right all at once, the situation is just spiralling out of control. And the bipolar patient is incarcerated in a private clinic, manic, sleepless and has no idea what has been going on. He thinks he is saving his friends from the apocalypse. My friend's daughter is furious at his behaviour, frightened by this weird stranger inside him, and determined to save him from himself even if it means sacrificing her own career to nurse him for as long as it takes. His family thinks she is wonderful; her mother wants to get her away from all of them.

Sorry for the long post, it felt very cathartic to write this down in a safe place.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Prayers for you and your friends...navigating bipolarism is like learning to dance along the top of a chasm while juggling meds, hormones, energy, memory and moods at the same time. And once diagnosed it is a dance that has no end. I spent the afternoon talking to a similar young sufferer going through a black period. May the young man find and hold the light and hope he needs to get through this season.

[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Thanks for kind thoughts, and – oh, MaryLouise, didI think I had troubles? My thoughts are with that troubled family right now, and with their friends like you who are distressed and helpless.

GG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{{{GG and ML}}}

Prayers ascending for both of you (and ML's friend and his family) from over here. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Many thanks for the support and prayers Banner Lady, GG and Piglet.

Still reeling from that conversation and subsequent disclosures about manic excesses, when I clicked on Facebook and saw that an old friend I knew at school is dying of advanced inoperable cancer, only discovered when she collapsed at an airport and was rushed to hospital. A horrible shock and this seems to me to be one of the more 'unbuffered' aspects of social media, the unexpected posts and how to respond in a form of media designed for fluffy light Likes and smilies. I emailed and sent private messages -- again feeling helpless and unsure what to say.

A small comfort to see snowdrops (leucojems) and clumps of the white paper narcissus are coming up and about to flower despite the drought and harsh dry winter.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Votive] , MaryLouise

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

MaryLouise [Votive]

I'm not on FB, but I can understand the disconnect between the medium and the message. It would be a difficult way to discover bad news.

I hope the young man gets some good medical help.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My sister is house sitting for my niece while she is away. Before she left, niece's two dogs escaped their enclosure. The female returned but the male has been missing for some weeks. A very bushy area near the Hawkwsbury on top of the ridge. Yesterday a man told my sister that there was a dog barking in the bush near his place, miles from my niece's. It was Curtis who was very glad to see her indeed. Living rough and he had lost a lot of weight.

Home to a smallish meal. She will give him several small meals through the day, so as not to overload the system.

Unfortunately it will be a while before my niece gets the good news. Two years ago she went on riding and photographic safari to two African countries. She has just arrived in Botswana and is riding totally away from phone or net access. A couple of weeks there and then she goes to Zambia. Hopefully she will be in some contact soon. Last year she went with the same company which is run by a friend to Argentina and Patagonia. Lots of polo coaching by Argentinean team.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Few things are more worrying than missing pets, Lothlorien: good to know Curtis is back! And those horse-riding adventures are the best way to see the wilderness. I did a horse trek in the Okavango Delta (Botswana) when I was in my early 20s and loved it.

Poor Z still manic and sleepless in the clinic, meds not helping. He has lost so much weight, none of his clothes fit. And his parents have gone from minimising ('Just a phase he's going through, he needs to pull himself together') to 'All of This is All our Fault, We Failed Him as Parents'. Even less helpful, if understandable.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

She loves riding and photos fropm Patagonia show trails along knife edge ridhes of mopuntains foillowed by sure footed ponies. She has two polo ponies of her own and has just bought a smaller horse to learn camp drafting.

Will send PM.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

ML - so scary for all involved. Even more heartbreaking is that the sufferers are often wonderful brilliant people when right minded, and so totally lost when the pendulum swings the other way. It takes such a lot out of all those trying to be supportive - may the pendulum swing back soon, and all those crafting his care regime be given great wisdom. [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016