homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ML - prayers from us for the young man, his family and supporters and for your long-term friend.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope Banner Lady has some cosy blankets. I see Canberra has a forecast of -7 overnight tonight.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

[Eek!]

I remember those sorts of temperature from Orange. Dear God I don't know how I survived. Anything under 30 is risky (night time I can survive down to 20C)!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't remember even having -7 forecast as an overnight temperature here [Eek!] though if it meant a sunny day afterwards, albeit at a low temperature, it might be OK. I find the lack of sunlight more difficult than the low temperature, as if it's cold I pile on warm clothing, turn up the heat pump, snuggle with the fat'n'fluffy one.

My power bill might be a bit steep though.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm with you Huia - you can always add an extra layer or a blanket when it's cold, but when it's hot there's a limit to what you can take off. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just saw an official photo from Rural Fire Service. It showed a fire hose dispensing a slushy. It also said ground temeprature at Bungendore when picture was taken was -15. Back to bed, Banner Lady, and hope Vulpior and Orfeo are somewhere near some heat.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm with you Huia - you can always add an extra layer or a blanket when it's cold, but when it's hot there's a limit to what you can take off. [Big Grin]

To a point. It was just on 1C this morning. I was wearing seven layers (down to five now because its 11) including multiple thermals. Mobility becomes something of an issue. My feet (two pairs of socks plus shoes) have still not warmed up.

At 45C I wear just one layer!

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spare us if the temp goes any higher then.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Killing me]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah yes, Zappa, mobility. It is 3 degrees C indoors and about 7 degrees C outdoors. I've got on socks, sheepskin slippers, kneewarmers, leggings, layers and layers of vests and sweaters, all topped with a thick stripy blanket poncho that makes me look like a circus tent. If I waddle out into the garden, I shall have to start unlayering and then dress again when I get back indoors. So I am just staying put on the sofa.

Unheated houses in supposedly hot countries.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heh. Currently snuggled up in front of a toasty fire. Mum
's 99th birthday dawned with a -8.7 and the birdbaths remained frozen solid all day.

Spare a thought for the Townsville Cowboys who are playing the Raiders in Canberra tonight. Expected to be -3 at kick-off and -6 by final siren. If they win it will be because they didn't dare stop running in case they froze solid. At the beginning of the season the Raiders played the Cowboys in Townsville in 30 degree heat. The beginning of a long losing streak for the Canberra Raiders - maybe tonight it will be the dish of revenge that is best served cold. (Very cold).

So glad I am not a football goer. Cannot imagine being out in the weather tonight. BRRR indeed.

Mum, however, has sailed through the day and looks likely to be going a while yet. Guess I may have to begin planning the big 100 soon.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Happy birthday to your mother - time to start organising the telegram (done though your local MP). My Father was too ill for his last year, so we made a grand occasion for 101.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a Lions vs All Blacks game on tonight in Wellington. MetService says, "Rain with an All Blacks victory hopefully developing tonight."

Lions fans say , "It's just like home" and were shown on TV complete with brollies. The field will be a mud pool by the time they finish.

Unpatriotically I hope the Lions win - those fans deserve something for coming so far to sit in the rain.

That's a lot of layers Zappa - think 4 is the most I wear and that includes a possum and merino beanie, with a thin merino one under it if the temperature is in negative numbers with a high wind chill factor.

Winter must be a real challenge for you.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Cowboys won, and I hope they had hot steam baths awaiting afterwards.

So cold this morning that the vestry pipes were frozen. I was sacristanning and couldn't wash up the silverware. I figured any germs and lurgies would be hard put to survive anyway. The priest flinched visibly at the hand washing. Yes, the water in the carafe was very very cold.

Church in the Canberra midwinter is only for the very dedicated, very desperate or totally insane.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently the Lions beat the All Blacks. I don't know who won the first test.
A small curly headed boy with a huge smile, holding hands with a Granddad on one side and a Grandma on the other, approached me as I was about to go into church. As I came up to them the wee boy had to tell me in the most excited voice imaginable, ' I'm going to have a birthday party!!!' 'What fun', I said,'How old are you?' 'Three!' and they went on their way, with the joy still shining on the small face.
Very heart-warming.
GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Apparently the Lions beat the All Blacks ...

Wow! [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I was there to see it! Oh happy day, indeed.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
The priest flinched visibly at the hand washing. Yes, the water in the carafe was very very cold.

My beloved makes sure that there's warm water for lavabo [Axe murder]

[ 02. July 2017, 10:42: Message edited by: rexory ]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Friend near Boorowa posted photo of ice from dripping tap. -10 at 10 this morning

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Colder in Canberra the last two mornings than in Thredbo (high country ski central in these parts).

The world I woke up to this morning is very very white. No snow. Just very thick frost everywhere. Bird bath has not unfrozen for 3 days straight.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Two separate layers of cloud are moving in here from the west and the day has an unpleasant chill to it. It went down here to 2 last night. Inner west of Sydney. Not normally anyhwere near as low as that here. But also not normally 45 in summer as we had last summer, several times. The times, they are a-changing.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Just very grateful the grandchildren have moved out and we have the luxury of being able to change in front of the fire. A most miserable TP emerged from his midday siesta time yesterday, declaring it was "too cold to read" in the bedroom, despite having some heating on. HIs fingers were struggling to hold the book! We inhabit the warm centre of the house during the day although I also have the heating cranked up in my studio. The back of the house has high ceilings and is wonderfully cool in summer - but not the right place for winter resting.

I will be spending my usual Monday at the nursing home, where it will definitely be warm enough. Doesn't seem to be worrying the cockatoos though - they are everywhere. When I drove to church early yesterday there were two entire streets full of them feeding on the nature strips. It was like playing dodgems and I was lucky not to collect any - two very near misses. Silly galahs.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Be careful changing in front of fire. For many years we had a Norwegian box heater, slow combustion. It had raised decorations, pine forests, foxes, wood cabins etc.

It burned day and night in combined dining and loiunge rooms and was marvellous. Dried washing, warmed boys' pyjamas etc.

I repeatedly told sons not to get too close, but one of them branded himself with a fox brand. Bare bum, bent over to put PJ pants on and connected with very hot surface. It healed OK but it took him a long time to live it down. I think he was about six at the time.

[ 03. July 2017, 02:32: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL, a local publisher decided to revive the kids' Annual of old times – but they roped in a whole gallery of our top kids/young adults' authors, artists etc. I can't wait for next year's!
The big success for my grandkids was the board game 'The Naked Grandmother'. If you landed on the square in which 'you accidentally saw you grandmother naked' you were out of the game.

I've had the heat pump on for much of the day. draped on a coffee table in front of it are the woollen socks and two merino singlets; cottons go in the tumble dryer. I dread the arrival of the winter power bills.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

GG, have you seen the electric throw rugs? My sister lives on north coast, on top of a windy cliff right on water . Her heating is from the big bottles of gas which also power her stove. The first year she was there, she used her gas heater which gobbled up a big bottle in next to no time. Now she uses one of the electric throw rugs over her on lounge. Much less money used. OK, it won't dry clothes, but they just take longer. At least she is warm. Something like this. prices both higher and lower than this one.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wife has an electric throw rug which gives tremendous relief of her severe arthritis. It is a great blessing on winter nights like the few recent ones.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An electric throw rug is like an electric blanket then? I might look out for one here.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes, they have them on sale sometimes in auto shops as you can get ones that plug in to your car socket. I have also seen "American style" electric blankets in bedding shops - apparently electric blankets are usually put on top of the bed in the US rather than between the sheet and the mattress. Someone may be along to reject or verify this but that is what I have been told.

As for naked grandmothers...what on earth makes you think we get down to bare skin except in the bathroom? Thank God for whoever invented the Tastic.

Birdbath was not frozen this morning. TP is hoping for rain, but I fear he will be disappointed yet again.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yes, like an electric blanket but not as large. It goes over anything, unlike an electric blanket which is under all bedding on top of the mattress. Mine has a removable electrical fitting so it can be washed if needed. Great over legs when sitting at computer desk or lounge while reading. Mine has nine settings and the feeling of spreading warmth as it heats up is just wonderful.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As I recall, the electric blanket on my parents' bed was an "overblanket" - i.e. it lay somewhere between the top sheet and the bedspread, and was left on all night (presumably on a fairly low heat). I don't know if they had any other blankets in between.

My own experience of electric blankets is all of the under-the-lower-sheet variety that you switch off (assuming you remember [Ultra confused] ) before you fall asleep.

When our blanket (inherited from my grandmother) went fairly spectacularly phut (with a flash of light and a bang [Eek!] ) we bought a fleecy under-blanket (not electric) which was reputed to keep the bed warm in winter and cool in summer. We still have it (after about 15 years) and I have to say, it does work.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
And I was there to see it! Oh happy day, indeed.

Jealous!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Tropical conditions for you tomorrow, BL. Forecast of 3-12.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was excellent, Zappa. I'm not generally a fan of rugby played on ovals, but the cake tin is small enough to carry it off. And any weekend in Wellington is a good one. The result was icing on the cake.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

The one time I'm more or less neutral is when the ABs play a / the British team. So I was pleased with the outcome - for rugby and all that - and look forward to this weekend.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

We had an electric over-blanket for many years – sheet, electric blanket, duvet. When it wore out we were quite happy to go back to old-fashioned hot water bottles.

I'm happy with that warm duvet and extra night clothes, so that when I get up in the night I don't freeze.

GG

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
...we were quite happy to go back to old-fashioned hot water bottles.

There is an alternative to a hot water bottle which I greatly prefer. It is a plastic bag with a cloth cover which is filled with some sort of gel. You heat it in the microwave and then put it in your bed.

I have disliked hot water bottles ever since the occasion when I was very ill and filled a hot water bottle to put in my bed. Apparently I didn't put the stopper in tightly enough and it came out. I was in no shape to change the bed, so I put a folded bath towel on top of the wet area and went back to bed.

If the microwave gel things fail, they fail in the microwave, which is easier to deal with. Actually the only time one has failed for me is when I got a new microwave and discovered that it put out a lot more heat and overheated my bag to the point of bursting it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes, the microwavable heat packs are getting a workout this week. Cold does make the bones and joints - that have suffered the most stress during life's journey - to ache. I have an electric blanket on the bed in the studio and it is a great blessing.

Tropical indeed today. A range of 7-12 all day but with cloud, wind and the chance of rain. TP snorted in disbelief at the forecast - asking what kind of "rain" probability is 90% of 1mm?
Last night, driving home from Master 5"s "Born of the 4th of July" party, there was just enough to make the dust on the windscreen streaky. Then it stopped. Though maybe its enough to make snow in the high country. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A warm dog is better than a hot water bottle or one of those microwave gel packs -- a dog is still just as warm the next morning.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

A twelve dog night is a cold night indeed.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A twelve dog night is a cold night indeed.

I've only heard of Three Dog Night(s).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

and very fine they were too

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Aboriginal scale of cold is how many dogs it takes to keep you warm. A three dog night is a cold night. Hence the song. But it gets very cold in the desert so a twelve dog night I imagine is the same as the scene in Dr Zhivago when they heap every fur coat and rug in the house on the bed and snuggle in under it.

I guess the fleas come free.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Aboriginal scale of cold is how many dogs it takes to keep you warm. A three dog night is a cold night. Hence the song. But it gets very cold in the desert so a twelve dog night I imagine is the same as the scene in Dr Zhivago when they heap every fur coat and rug in the house on the bed and snuggle in under it.

I guess the fleas come free.

I thought it was the number of women???

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Gee D, I cannot imagine you are implying women = dogs....so pleease exploin...

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

The problem with cuddly, clean and flea-free dogs warming the bed in winter is that you can't pack them away when summer comes and you want the bed to yourself again. And as the years pass, you find yourself sharing bed-space with rabbit-chasing-in-sleep,snoring, farting, moulting ancient dogs who won't budge from the centre of the bed. (This is also true of humans sharing beds but we won't go there.)

I have flannel winter sheets, bed socks, thick flannel pyjamas and a vast featherdown duvet brought from France years ago. And some quilts and throws as well. I haven't used hot water bottles in years.

A good duvet retains heat very well -- I have considered tucking bowls of rising bread dough (covered in cling wrap and towels) under the duvet to rise during the day.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
The problem with cuddly, clean and flea-free dogs warming the bed in winter is that you can't pack them away when summer comes and you want the bed to yourself again.

Not a problem for me -- I love having my dog next to me any time of year. And in the summer she isn't quite as cuddly as she is in colder weather -- except last night when she was a bit uneasy about the fireworks. (Her story is that she was concerned that I might be scared, so she was snuggling to give me comfort. That's her story, and she's sticking to it.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Gee D, I cannot imagine you are implying women = dogs....so pleease exploin...

Not that, but the saying as I knew it was that a very cold night was a 3 women night.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Interesting circles you move in Gee D..."money for nuthin' and yr chics for free..." then?
[Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

It used be in pretty racist terms - cold enough night for a blackfellow to need 3 women to keep him warm. Said by farm hands including those on a property not very far from you as well as in more remote locations. Not too sure just how domesticated dogs were in pre-1788 days.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On a brighter note, I am heading West in a week, and lunch with Jugular, Rexory, Dark Knight and AdamPater is duly arranged.

We won't talk about you, honest.

Mr Curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016