homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is happening with the weather?? 28 deg here in the old steel city in the middle of winter.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rowen's Victorian Alps has had very heavy snow falls and temperatures well below zero. All odd.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A warm (relatively) day here too.

I was thinking of catching the bus to the snow for the day on Sunday. I drive to a town at the foot of the mountains and catch the bus from there.

Back to the last page and transport, I hear the Blue Mountains' stations are in need of transformation to fit the new trains. I guess it was cheaper to adjust the stations than the trains. Here's hoping this doesn't happen! [Big Grin]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We took Dog for his last trip to the vet this morning. He'd not been well for a few months now and had gone quite a long way downhill. Very little eaten or even drunk for much of the week. This morning, he could not really stand up and I had to help him out to his favourite places. Back onto a comfortable bed, but clearly not well. A quick phone call to Dlet to come back home and then the 3 of us took him up to the vet.

He's been a good dog for us, the best part of 17 yrs old which is great for a beagle. I don't think we'll bring another into our home.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
B4 is hoping she has a new owner for the Kelpie puppy she has been fostering. She has admitted that while "Oooh, PUPPIES!" is great in theory, the hard and sleep deprived reality of training one has made her look more seriously at any future fostering placements.

An admirable sign of more mature thinking IMHO. Hope it lasts!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is always hard, Gee D, especially when you had him for so long. My sympaqthies to all three of you.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is so hard, GeeD, sympathy to you and your family. And 17 years is a long time, as Lothlorien said. Sad too to know you won't have a puppy in the house again. My Great Dane at eight years hasn't done well this winter and I wouldn't have such a large dog again, but I love his sweetness and affection, the stubborn nature not so much.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

We've both turned 70 this year (and 40 years marriage now as well) and although we're planning on stopping work (for me) or much cutting down (for Madame) we don't want to be tied down as much. A possibility is that we do some guide dog rearing but we'll have to investigate what that demands.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We've both turned 70 this year (and 40 years marriage now as well) and although we're planning on stopping work (for me) or much cutting down (for Madame) we don't want to be tied down as much. A possibility is that we do some guide dog rearing but we'll have to investigate what that demands.

Ask Boogie.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Most certainly shall if we decide to go down that path. In the meantime, we're mourning Dog. Later today we'll tell the blue tongue. It and Dog had a strange relationship, mutual wariness of course, but tolerance and perhaps some friendship?

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope the blue tongue took it well.

So sorry to read... Growing up I saw a few dogs taken to the vet: both ours and grandma's. Always a sad experience. I dread the next trip for my parents.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Hope the blue tongue took it well.

So sorry to read... Growing up I saw a few dogs taken to the vet: both ours and grandma's. Always a sad experience. I dread the next trip for my parents.

Thanks - it's hard to tell with blue tongues when they're out sunning themselves on a day like this. Very non-committal looks.

[ 13. August 2017, 07:50: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too am sorry for the loss of your four legged companion Gee D. Sounds like a good age for a mid-sized pooch. The lizards were moving about in our garden today - the first time we've seen any since autumn. Sign of Spring? I sincerely hope it is and look forward to the blue tongues emerging.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please, what are blue tongues? We have blue-tongued geckoes.

At a bring-and-share lunch after church there was an enquiry as to how many pets' graves there were at the bottom of the garden – comparing with neighbours of our hostess.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Lizards, GG

Hide in the garden under rocks and leaf litter. The keep garden free of snails etc

Pictures and other links here if they can escape the attentiion of domestic pets they can live twenty years.

[ 13. August 2017, 11:01: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly where we once lived, pre-wankydilla, our Rotty killed a few. I was gutted.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PS .. at least the Barnaby Joyce affair is providing some alternative to Trumpastrophy

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Sadly where we once lived, pre-wankydilla, our Rotty killed a few. I was gutted.

I'm not sure how many blue tongues we have, but this time of year would see one sunning itself on the paving surrounding the pool. Whether it was always the same one (they have the potential for long lives) I don't know, but it seemed to have worked out that Dog could not get it if it stayed inside the fence.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

I'm not sure how many blue tongues we have, but this time of year would see one sunning itself on the paving surrounding the pool. Whether it was always the same one (they have the potential for long lives) I don't know, but it seemed to have worked out that Dog could not get it if it stayed inside the fence.
You've had me Googling for the green tree gecko that we were shown at teachers' college 66 years ago – yes, I've remembered it correctly: 'The inside of its mouth and tongue are a deep shade of mauve. ' I remember it as a startlingly bright purple.
GG

[ 14. August 2017, 22:20: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most of the lizards in the garden -- they love old garden walls and rocky places -- are small flat and brown, no monitors or plated lizards. Inside the house we have tiny grey and brown geckos that hang out near the ceiling beams and rafters. In the bathroom every now and again geckos fall down plop onto my stomach when I'm having a leisurely bath. I think the steam makes them sleepy.

A number of endangered dwarf chameleons too: I planted up restio reeds and grasses for them and they cope well with bird predations.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That was interesting thanks GG, and I've now read about them. It would cause ecological havoc to import some but they sound good garden companions.

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry about the Dog Gee D. I know how much in love I am with my pooch and how much losing a pet can hurt.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks Clarence, much appreciated. May you and pooch both have many more long walkies ahead of you.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gee D I've just surfaced after a long sleep, and catching up on the news. So Sorry to hear about Dog. Pets really do leave such a gap when they die.

My visit to Wellington went well. My oldest brother enjoyed his Black forest birthday cake. He and his cat seem to have settled in well to their new home.

My youngest brother, with whom I stayed, was great. On the Sunday, after visiting our brother, he drove to an amazing second-hand bookshop/café. He enjoyed the coffee, I enjoyed the books. I left him yesterday morning, having prepared tea in the crockpot. It was a curry and too spicy for me, but he will enjoy it.

I am so glad to be home. I collected Georgie-Porgy from the cattery. She came home very clean, but managed to get muddy paws within a few minutes of going outside.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Computer frying and dying. Short posts until next week when hopefully new one will be in place.

So much to try to put on to USB sticks when it is working.
Sigh.
Technology. Its a love hate thing with me.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Black Forest cake is my favourite cake too. Mmmmm. I can taste it now.

Hurrah for nice birthdays and getaways, and boo for failing computers.

Quite a windy day down here on the border. Leaves, that are left, are swirling around and the wind is howling as it goes past. Nice to be indoors.

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Huia, I'm glad the visit with your brothers went so well.

One of my small dogs went off to have her nails clipped and came back honking like a goose with kennel cough. My Great Dane is unwell and lethargic, the vet has suggested liver tests. Going around with a knot in my stomach.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you Huia, and like MaryLouise glad that your visit went well. A great welcome home I'd imagine

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Will Baa-baa Barnaby barrack for Australia or New Zealand in the rugby test match tomorrow?

He is the Deputy Prime Minister of Australia (God help us!) but it now turns out has been a New Zealand Citizen since he was born - or so the NZ Prime Minster stated in parliament. IANL but on a plain reading of the Australian constitution this means that he was ineligible for election to the Australian parliament. But he has refused to stand down from being a Cabinet Minster, even though his case has been referred to the High Court for a definitive ruling on his eligibility. I think he will plead ignorance and perhaps stupidity since he was unable to correctly fill in the nomination form which he signed.

Barnaby joins no fewer than 5 other MPs whose doubtful eligibility has been sent to the High Court for decision ! At this rate only Pat Dobson (who is an aborigine and thus unquestionably Australian) will be the only parliamentarian left standing !

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's going to be hardly anyone left at this rate - the deputy leader of the Nationals and Nick Xenophon are in the frame now.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It would be comical if it weren't saying something about the quality of those involved and of their staff. Not only saying something about their ability to give accurate information on forms, but also on the moral quality which they have, or rather may not have, for them to at least step down from office till the matter is sorted.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't really mind who he supports as far as sports go, as long as Australia doesn't send him home as it has with many other undesirable NZ citizens. [Biased]

A friend of mine, now in his 60s, was born in Australia, but has lived here since he was about 12. When he had to prove he was a long-term NZ resident (to claim a benefit because he was too sick to work) the young woman he dealt with in the Work and Income office suggested he use his passport to provide proof of when he arrived, and was incredulous when he said that a passport wasn't needed to travel between the two countries in those days.

Huia

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today, we voted to call a new minister. It was a good meeting, and the new person looks excellent. Processes etc etc to follow, should start 1 December.

Not sure about his citizenship, hopefully it's Heaven.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Nunc's birthday today or tomorrow. If you ever get a chance to look in, Nunc, happy birthday

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... the young woman he dealt with in the Work and Income office suggested he use his passport to provide proof of when he arrived, and was incredulous when he said that a passport wasn't needed to travel between the two countries in those days.

Huia

Yes ... Mr Asia changed all that, not long before I first moved to Oz ... ironically there's very little need for a passport now, they don't get stamped, and about six zillion other devices have identified you by the time you are set free at the other end of a flight [Paranoid]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
Will Baa-baa Barnaby barrack for Australia or New Zealand in the rugby test match tomorrow?

Incidentally the verb "to barrack" was not something I often heard in NZ. I first encountered it in common parlance (apart from as a noun) in a Melbourne laundromat when some bloke said "whodyabarracakformate?" ... I had no idea what he was talking about. [Ultra confused]

My other great shock was to discover that Melbourne didn't come to a standstill when the Wallabies had a test match somewhere [Waterworks] (and they used to win some in those days)

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to hear about your dog, Gee D. I've never had a pet, but I always feel sad to hear about the death of other people's. A friend of ours has just lost his Golden Retriever, who we had never met but seen in pictures on Facebook, and almost saw him as a friend.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Mr Curly, I hope your new Minister is as good as ours.

Zappa, thanks. I wondered what the tipping point had been. I think I might have gone to High School with some of the people involved in that.

My landline phone has been restored [Yipee] it never worked clearly since the floods then it died altogether and I asked them to route the calls through my cell. That was a nightmare as I have to have my phone on loudspeaker, which shares the conversation with the whole world. Not ideal for travelling on the bus.

The nice man from Chorus was working in cold, muddly water to connect it all up.

Next month it will all be ditched anyway because I'm switching to fibre broadband. I was going to give up on having a landline at all, but my 3 days without it convinced me I need it.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have been gardening, as much as a smallish balcony allows for gardening. Two granddaughters gave me some more herbs for my birthday and I have planted the, Pizza thyme, lemon thyme which I already had, chives which I am not good at growing, vietnamese mint. It is hot in the sun on my sheltered balcony.

To my disgust I found cobbler's pegs,* already going to seed. This is not a paddock in the bush, but innercity. Where the heck did cobblers pegs come from. I pulled out plant carefully and placed it all in my rubbish bin.

* Fact sheet and pictures. Scroll down on pictures to see the rotten seeds which cling to clothing.

[ 22. August 2017, 01:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Today, we voted to call a new minister. It was a good meeting, and the new person looks excellent. Processes etc etc to follow, should start 1 December.

Not sure about his citizenship, hopefully it's Heaven.

mr curly

We haven't voted yet but at this stage it's inevitable. The selection committee and Parish Council are happy after meeting with him. He's preaching for a call next Sunday but then he has a starting date.

I'll be there next Sunday as my long-awaited spinal surgery, for which I turned up at the hospital today, has been postponed again. My left eye is very scary-looking with a broken blood vessel which will take a few weeks to come right. Surgeon explained that to have me lying face down for 2-4 hours could make it much worse, even leave the eye blind.

We hear that the new minister is a very pleasant person and an excellent minister, but he comes from training in South Africa which tends to be theologically very conservative (this will be his fourth NZ parish); we've been enjoying splendid preaching for 18 months by an avowed Progressive, and everyone has thought very highly of him. Now we handful of theologically Progressive members are wondering how we'll handle the change. One says 'I want to be fed'. But the congregation is a very loving community of which I've been a part for 50 years, and at my age I can't imagine wanting to move. I'll see whether fortnightly sessions with the Ephesus group and occasional visits to our lay supply's wife's church will keep me happy.
I guess that a lot of people simply get on with trying to live as Jesus taught and don't fuss too much about theology.

GG

[ 22. August 2017, 04:20: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Lothlorien, I wonder if your cobblers' pegs are what we call blackjacks, or related?

I'm not doing much planting this year, lost too much in the garden from drought.

My Great Dane home and a little subdued after medical tests, hopefully better. For now.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Loth, I think we have those too, the seed heads look familiar.

A friend who lives in a 9 storey apartment block here (one of the highest to survive the quakes) has complained about aphids in a rose bush she has growing on her balcony, which just shows that pests are good at surviving I guess. Thank goodness for a few frosts which will polish them off.

GG, how frustrating to have surgery put off yet again, even knowing it is the right decision. I hope your new Minister works out for you. I know when we had a variety of people preaching while the selection process was in place I considered how I would manage if someone was called who was like a couple of the people who filled in. I was very happy when this didn't happen.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Just had word from my son that step grandson 13 had a nasty stack from scooter on way to school this morning.. I don't think there are broken bones but shock and stress have given him at least two epileptic seizures in Casualty.

The epilepsy is fairly recently diagnosed and medicines are being trialled but not yet settled.

[ 23. August 2017, 02:04: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I know those seeds as "Farmers' friends", a norther rivers NSW term - because they stick close to farmers. Common-ish in NZ too.

Nothing like the burrs we used to suffer in wankydilla though.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have heard that term here too Zappa, but reserve it for my use about No. 8 fencing wire, usually used with a spinner.

I think cobblers' pegs is a term from west of the Divide, past Bathurst.

[ 23. August 2017, 07:39: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Poor step grandson 13! Here's to a quick recovery.

GG: sorry to read of the surgery postponement too. All the best with the new minister.

Hurrah for an excellent new minister Mr Curly.

A good day today. Even got some compliments on some work I did for a few people, which is always nice.

We had a glorious day yesterday, but the clouds, and wind!, returned today. In 3 months I'll be complaining about the heat.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Very happy day yesterday. I had left my Nordic walking poles at a bus stop, and they were taken with 15 minutes [Waterworks] . The shop where I'd bought them no longer sells them, but a trader had them for sale on Trade Me - they arrived yesterday, complete with the small clip that can be used to join them when not in use (which had been missing when I bought the originals). I walk so much faster using them [Yipee] and my body gets a better workout.

I also had a session with the physio that lessened pain from a back injury. I asked her to write the exercises down in a notebook so I could remember them, and made an appointment for a weeks time, just to keep me on track. It is so wonderful not to be in pain, especially as I am such a wuss.

Another sunny days in Paradise - but the wind is cold. The "Beasterly Easterly" as my Great uncle called it.

Huia

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I know those seeds as "Farmers' friends", a norther rivers NSW term - because they stick close to farmers. Common-ish in NZ too.

Nothing like the burrs we used to suffer in wankydilla though.

From what you say they function like the foxtails we have in scads in the Sierras, and which I embroidered on my husband's stole after the freakazoids tried to drive us out of the church and excommunicated us. I figured they made a decent symbol for Christian stubbornness.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

LC, I am not sure about the Christian, but definitely agree about the stubbornness. [Big Grin]

They need individual unhooking by hand from clothing.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016