homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news, Huia.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 476 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our congregational meeting on Sunday we rejected the aforementioned candidate in a secret ballot 22 to 18.
Those on the Board of Selection (not its name but, whatever) who had met him 3-4 times had come to like him and approve of him,
while some of my dedicated Progressive friends were already deciding where they'd move to if he were chosen. I heard the warm acceptance from a Board member who'd begun by being unimpressed, and was thinking I'd give him a chance if he were selected. A shame that the people who are going to vote don't get a chance to get to know him first. But no go.
I think we've made it difficult by making possibly mutually exclusive requirements essential.
And I'm sure we made a mistake in spending big on restoring our church when we had the choice between returning it to its original state when we had to raise it to higher earthquake safety. The alternative (the better choice in my opinion) was to demolish it and replace with modern multi-purpose buildings. We are surrounded by people several generations away being comfortable in pointy-roofed churches.

GG

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2601 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Big snow due to hit all of the Southeast bits of Australia. Air mass coming to Oz from the Antarctic has a temp of -29C, and gale force winds accompanying it.
So the most snow all year will fall just as all the gardens are about to host their Spring bulb shows. It figures. Wind and cloud is building over Canberra, and I expect everyone will be back to shivering by tomorrow.

BL. Still dreaming of palm trees.

I'm enjoying Brisbane now. Bigly. May the horrors stay south.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18746 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bl**dy He**, it's cold.
Doubt it got into double figures today, but the windchill factor has made it feel like walking about in a cold room all day. Had to venture out to go to a Gov shopfront to renew a license and TP and I were clinging on to each other in the face of the antarctic blast ripping across the plaza, just to stay upright.

BL. Not going far from the fireplace tonight.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7048 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wind up here has been worse today than the last few days when it was strong. I sat on my balcony knitting rug for DIL's birthday which was some weeks ago. The rug is now big enough to cover my lap and legs and tuck in around the sides. Very cosy. I spread it out on the floor for the first time tonight and am pleased with my progress. Arthritis in my right hand has slowed progress.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9362 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dammit, and there was I this morning, swimming happily in an outdoor pool, bathed in sunshine ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
At our congregational meeting on Sunday we rejected the aforementioned candidate in a secret ballot 22 to 18.

GG

Ouch - is it a simple majority vote? It must be difficult when the division is so nearly halfway. Do you have another Parish meeting to discuss this or is it up to the searchers (forgotten the proper name) to go back to the drawing board?

Beautiful sunny day here, but only 17c and a cold wind. I spent most of the day in my north west facing room fighting Georgie-Porgy for the chair in the sun. The manufacturer may call them Lazyboys but anyone with a feline knows they are actually Lazycats

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10038 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, it appears it's a simple majority – but even if it had been 22-18 for him instead of against, I can't imagine he'd want to come if half the congregation didn't want him.
Back to the search, and I think some of our requirements must be mutually exclusive.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still cold here. I keep telling myself every morning that it has to warm up soon. I have begun crocheting cupcakes just to keep my hands warm! Dear Lord, I am finally doing nannacraft. [Razz]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just come in from balcony where the sun has shifted for spring. What was in sun is now shady. The wind is vicious and strong and blowing off many hectares of snow several feet deep.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
... I have begun crocheting cupcakes ...

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

GG - it seems to me that it's not all that rare for congregations to be split when it comes to choosing a clergyman; at Our Old Place in Scotland, the present incumbent (the next-but-one after the one who was there in our time) seems to be loved and loathed in almost equal measure.

I must confess to not being very taken with him, but in fairness, he had a couple of hard acts to follow. His immediate predecessor was a veteran of the Iona Community and very popular, and his predecessor (who married us) was very traditional, very erudite and for the most part fairly popular as well. I wouldn't envy anyone having to fill the shoes of those two gentlemen.

[Votive] that your place finds the right chap/chapess* in due course.

* The parish church in Kirkwall (which had divisions of its own, having been formed from two previous churches) called one of the first lady ministers in the Church of Scotland back in the 1970s, which caused a further split between those who were happy with a lady, and those who weren't ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19431 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes to you and your parish GG.

I left Albury in single digits and arrived in Darwin at 35 degrees. A good conference. Especially as I won an award for my work in an analytics group. I was rather surprised. 2 more days exploring before back to Albury.

Posts: 7423 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lazycats sounds right, Huia. In winter my Great Dane reserves the sunniest sofa in the living room for his personal use.

GG, that sounds like a very tricky vote. I hope you have better luck with your next candidate.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Best wishes to you and your parish GG.

I left Albury in single digits and arrived in Darwin at 35 degrees. A good conference. Especially as I won an award for my work in an analytics group. I was rather surprised. 2 more days exploring before back to Albury.

Congratulations on the award, Ian.

35? Zappa would be happy.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, IC! [Yipee]
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
35? Zappa would be happy.

I was just thinking that. [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
... my Great Dane reserves the sunniest sofa in the living room for his personal use ...

Well, Great Danes are rather ... large.

"Where does he sleep?"

"Wherever he likes" ...

--------------------

Posts: 19431 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today the Christchurch Anglican Synod voted to restore the Christchurch Cathedral. It was a reasonably close vote, with 55% in favour of restoration.

My personal view is that it is their building and they can do what they like with it, but I object to any of my rates money going towards this. The Bishop has, in the past spoken of other needs in Christchurch following the quakes, especially homelessness and children's mental health, but she said in advance of the vote that she would support synod's decision.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Congratulations, Ian!

Huia, I was just sitting in front of the TV the other evening watching a rather dire travel programme called Houses International about people relocating around the world from America, and saw images of a gaping Christchurch Cathedral three years after the earthquake. I was wondering when and how they would restore it.

Lothlorien, life with a Great Dane involves ongoing human compromises. I don't know if this is true of the breed but my dog is the most stubborn canine I've ever known (and that includes strong-willed Papillons, boxers, ridgebacks and even a tyrannical Yorkie!) If I sit down on a sofa, he likes to try and sit on my lap so I have to perch on narrow chairs to discourage this. I keep bedroom doors closed because he would love to claim one of the beds for himself. He does have a bed to lie on in my study, but he prefers his sofas.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Banner Lady:
[qb] ... I have begun crocheting cupcakes ...

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Have an old stash of wool, lace and small pompoms and so when I saw these on Pinterest as fun playfood, decided I would give them a go. Did not cost anything except my time - and it must be nearly 35 years since I crocheted anything.

The four smallest grandchildren road tested them this morning. I can happily report that they are close to indestructible, survived being fed to various toy animals, being used as play hospital treats, and are great for no mess food fights. Nanna did good.
[Razz]

Congrats on the award Ian - we are both winners, although my win involves only my personal satisfaction at being able to create a pattern from a visual cue, and resurrect an almost forgotten skill. Glad you got some recognition from your peers!

[ 09. September 2017, 10:50: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Tomorrow I leave Brisbane's pleasant climes, and leave too the wondrous comapany I have enjoyed here (eh, Clarence and FD? [Tear] ) and youse wonderful Westralians too (Dark Knight, The Coot [oh dear, I've lost track of his ship names], Rexory, Piers Ploughman, Jugular ... gosh, who else was there) ...

I'll be sad to return to the frozen wastes of Aotearoa, except of course that it is home, for now. But very sad. Besides it was 2°C, I am informed, at Scarily Close to 40° South, this morning. [Eek!]

I feel I've thawed out climactically this past week and socialy these past two weeks. After all that happened to me in 2016, and the love and joy I find here in the Western Isle, I am wondering if Aotearoa really is my home any more.

Or perhaps the whole "here on earth we have no lasting ..." pertains. [Waterworks]

It all kinda hurts. And confuses. And hurts.

[ 11. September 2017, 08:09: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Scarily Close to 40° South

As someone who grew up scarily close to 60° North, that sounds positively tropical. [Big Grin]

Would a move to Warmer Climes™ be feasible?

{{{Zappa}}}

[ 11. September 2017, 22:39: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Oh Zappa - it might be time to 'shake the dust' from NZ 'off your feet' - depending on what's best for all of you.

I had an email recently from my brother whose been living happily in the USA for 20 years, about an old friend from Auckland who is visiting him, and I realised again the many factors keeping him there, and pulling him here.

I'm lucky in that Wellington is the only other place where I would sometimes like to be, and it's easy to do a quick visit (and realise that I could not live there again).

Huia

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Tomorrow I leave Brisbane's pleasant climes, and leave too the wondrous comapany I have enjoyed here (eh, Clarence and FD? [Tear] ) and youse wonderful Westralians too (Dark Knight, The Coot [oh dear, I've lost track of his ship names], Rexory, Piers Ploughman, Adampater, Jugular ... gosh, who else was there) ...

We'll miss you Z - but we miss kuruman too, and hope it won't be too long before we have you both visiting the West Island again.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 781 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Zappa [Votive]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Grateful to have the next four days at the coast where it is slightly warmer than here. All of 12 today with winds and frosts forecast over the next few days. It is a mission weekend, so will be working hard, but am looking forward to breathing sea air instead of all the pollen blowing about.

Just had a somewhat surprising email from my sister in Serbia, where she is busy putting together a gallery of aboriginal art for teaching purposes. An unexpected tangent to her retirement! [Confused]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ta, y'all

I just have to suck it up for a few years.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Weird weather 3.20am and 19c [Eek!]

I woke up wondering if my internal temperature regulation was malfunctioning. Now, having opened both front and back doors ( leaving security screen doors closed), I'm going back to bed. I will probably wake up feeling cold.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ye Gods - at 19 I have the doona/duvet well and truly wrapped around me and the fire/heater on

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You really ought to pay us a visit, Zappa - it's 27° and feeling like 31 at the moment. [Big Grin]

You'll need to be quick though - it's supposed to go down to 20° on Sunday, probably because we're having an outdoor service that morning ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You really should think of moving to Arizona, Zappa. It's now 38°C -- cooling down now that summer is coming to an end.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9363 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think you've probably won, Pigwidgeon. I don't think we can match temperatures like that.

I certainly hope we can't! [Eek!]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
I think you've probably won, Pigwidgeon. I don't think we can match temperatures like that.

Two days ago Sydney max ranged from33-35, hottest September temperatures in almost twenty years. Yesterday there was snow in quite a few areas west of Sydney and at Barrington Tops, north a bit.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:

Me too! It reached about 22c today, so I dug out my cooler clothes and my sandals and weeded a small stretch of garden where the low growing lavender is engulfed by a weed I had never seen before the quakes. I think it came from some soil used to replace the dirt that was dug out when the new driveway was laid.

I hope the weather stays fine so I can do some more weeding tomorrow.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
You really should think of moving to Arizona, Zappa. It's now 38°C -- cooling down now that summer is coming to an end.

Heavenly. Though today my pad reached 25°C which is about when I start to come alive.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Travel well Zappa. Alas, you can't look to an appointment in Sydney, but otherwise you'd be very welcome at St Sanity.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6665 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ah, we immorallati pariahs ... I find it ironic that the NZ libruls and the OZ ultra-conservatives both have me blacklisted now ... except that the Sydney blacklisting is not personal and the NZ one was lifted by court order

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely that. Then there's the need to have NT Greek to at least the standard taught at Moore College.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6665 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There are some advantages to being fairly deaf. I did not wake during this. My place is in a security block, almost immediately to the right of the police car. Only a few metres away. I am up several storeys and there are electronic locks on heavy entrance doors. It appears to have been the result of an altercation between two men, but all the same, too close for comfort. Both McDs and the service station are open 24 hours. I can look straight into windows in fron of police car and those windows at end of the building on the right.

Axe attack

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

That is too close for comfort, Lothlorien.

Zappa [Votive]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Mary Louise, I have been here a few months over six years. It is usually faorly quiet for events such as this. Noise from main road and occasionally a driver is chased inton carpark by higghway patrol which is then parked so he cannot drive out. Some years ago a brick was thrown through McD's window, Otherwise noise from road but few disturbances like this one.

I have always felt secure here, right from first night when I slept on floor before actual moving took place the next day.

As police told us after we were broken into some twenty or so years ago, if someone is determined to get in they will. You can discourage them.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A reminder to those from the land of parliamentarians too pusillanimous to take a decision without a focus group. Do help the politicians with doing what we elect them to do - take a decision on same sex marriage - by returning your completed "opinion survey" form.

And, without comment on the subject of this so-called "survey", as a former statistician at the Bureau of Statistics it grates on me to see this once proud agency diverted from its proper work (at vast expense to the taxpayer) to run a "survey" that is statistically invalid and unrepresentative , as it is both voluntary and with an unstratified sample.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 567 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Definitely that. Then there's the need to have NT Greek to at least the standard taught at Moore College.

Oh, I have that, at least on paper! Well, in theory.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My trip to Darwin. Went well. <5C when I left and 35C when I arrived! Even got an award at the conference!

Came home to a bout of sickness. Have been on the IV drip twice so far... Blood tests indicate I have some nasty infection. My new boss has seen me for all of 3 days and I run away to Darwin then get sick.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That's no good Ian. I hope it clears soon.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Ian

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7234 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Today is the 124th anniversary of Women's Suffrage in NZ [Yipee] [Yipee]

I am going to visit my Electorate MP's office with a bunch of white camellias, the symbol of women's suffrage here, and also leave some on the Women's Suffrage Memorial in town.

If the weather holds I may also take a walk through the Kate Sheppard pathway in the Botanic Gardens, which is planted with camellias.

Huia

People throughout NZ were involved in the suffrage struggle, but a lot of the organisation of the petitions centred in Christchurch, which has a radical political history, despite its more sober present.

Huia.

[ 18. September 2017, 19:31: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

My paternal grandmother and a couple more of her family signed the petition. Not sure about the maternal side. I'd better check – surely 'Bossy bessie' would have been in there!

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My form came today. I will post it Thurday when I go to audiologist which is neare local PO. I never realised how much I would miss the postbox which was over the road from my former home. FRom front door over to box and back again in under two minutes. None local at all to me here.

Tukai, I could tell you some stories of my time at Bureau of Stats. Part time, not census stuff. I could tell you some beauties from Hosehold Expenditure work were I not bound by oath to divulge nothing. Hair raising , some of them. I am sure you could guess some of them, Or similar.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine arrived today, as well. The whole thing is a ridiculous farce, but I'm not going to stand on a point of principle and not participate. The standard of public discourse has been predictably awful, so the sooner it's all over, the better. Not that the result will shut anyone up, whichever way it goes.
Posts: 285 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ian, please tell me you weren't walking around Darwin bare foot ... there's some nasty diseases up there in God's best slice of earth (go figure)

[ 19. September 2017, 18:58: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

No, no; properly shod. Some influenza infection supposedly, but one that only knocked half my body around.

Sent off my vote... Fat lot of good I think it will do, though, sadly; hope I am wrong and it goes somewhere.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016