homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well that was a game

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not quite as comprehensive stuffing as the ABs did a couple of weeks ago, but I should imagine it was rather, um, exciting.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Well that was a game

Were the after-match celebrations up to those in Taranaki after winning the Log of Wood* [Big Grin]

I don't watch TV much, but I was at a friend's place last night and was struck by one of the spectators whom I think may have been a Springbok in post-apartheid South Africa. He quoted Danie Craven (sp?) as saying that there would never be a black man in the Springboks. The man then went on to say, "I forgive, but I don't forget".

*For those who don't follow NZ Provincial rugby (i.e most of the world) Canterbury was defeated by Taranaki in a match for the Ranfurly Shield, a local trophy. I don't really follow rugby, but I think it's good when trophies are shared around, instead of one side always winning [Razz]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, rugby, she said vaguely. By all accounts it was a nail-biter.

I always enjoy seeing how multiracial the crowd at Newlands have become, given that for so many decades South African rugby was white as the driven snow.

GG [Votive]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whiter than that, I'd say. I was amongst those demonstrating against the rugby tour in 1971. Not arrested fortunately. But it's still the game played in Heaven.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WoW! I just hit ten thousand posts!!! It's taken me 15 years to the month.

I remember when Mousethief, being the Ship's most prolific poster did that, and I was in awe, but he of course didn't take so long.

Today I'm thinking of my late father as it would have been his birthday and, coincidently, making his favourite soup. It's wet and windy out, so perfect soup making weather.

Thinking of GG too and hoping her recovery is going well.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy 10,000th post, Huia! [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Huia. I lurked for a long time after joining.

Yes, GG. Hope all is going well with you and your recovery.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So Jugs' predicament in the West has now gone National, and A Certain Diocese in the East also made the National news, it now being common knowledge that they donated a million shekels to the No campaign. Gosh it's interesting, ain't it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I can't help thinking they could have found a better use for their $1,000,000.*

Excuse my ignorance (not being from Down Under), but what happened to Jugular?

* Feeding the poor, paying their organists decent salaries ... [Devil]

[ 12. October 2017, 00:34: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet try [deleted]this online news site[/URL]

[link that outs Jugular deleted pending further consideration]

[ 12. October 2017, 21:33: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

On a less serious note; here we are in NZ waiting for Winston Peters, Leader of NZ First to announce which Party he will give his support to (and thus enable to form a government), and the vote that is attracting a fair amount of dissention between flatmates, couples and friends is "Which bird should win the vote for Bird of the Year?" The showy Kereru (NZ Wood Pidgeon), without a brain to bless itself with, the night calling owl like Ruru or morepork, with it's haunting cry, the Kea, an intelligent Alpine Parrot or???

Just to declare my bias I would support the Papango, the Black Scaup, a diving duck that looks like the plastic bathtub ducks, except that it's black, but for some reason ducks traditionally don't do well in these competitions.

The serious reason for this yearly competition is to raise interest in, and support for NZ birds, many of which are on the endangered list.

Anyway all of the above birds are more interesting than politicians, and in the Kea's case arguably more intelligent. [Razz]

Huia - not in the running, extinct birds don't count [Waterworks]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can hear Jugular speaking on the ABC Religion and Ethics program [deleted]here.[/URL]

[deleted link outing Jugular pending consideration]

[ 12. October 2017, 21:34: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thank you for the links, BA and BL. I sincerely hope the Diocesan court finds in Jugular's favour.

[ 12. October 2017, 19:26: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've deleted the two links that identify the real life person behind the Shipmate known to us as Jugular. I've kept a copy of the links, so they can be put back if I hear from Jugular to say he's OK with being outed.

Alan
Ship of Fools Admin

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My spinal operation went well. Six days in hospital, then handed over to a cousin – my age but a retired nurse who is looking after me most professionally and we're having a lot of fun.
Stopped at my place tom make sure I could send a few notes of reassurance, now back to my temporary abode. My greetings to all shipmates.
GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to hear from you, GG. Take care.

[ 13. October 2017, 00:44: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear it, GG. [Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news GG - and best wishes to your cousin trying to keep you in line.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful news GG. Look after yourself.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to hear this, GG [Votive]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news, GG!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great, GG!

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The HSC approacheth at Chez Curly.

Middle is doing OK, starts on Monday. Somewhat buoyed by his band progressing through semi-finals of a big band competition on Thursday night. I think if they win the national final on 17 December they get to go to Germany. I assume as they're all under 18, chaperones will be required. [Yipee]

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Middle. And god luck getting the chaperone gig Mr Curly!

Ah...the HSC. Final Year 12 exams. It was long ago...I remember thinking my life depended on those results. So much pressure. All the best for those sitting them.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It is a totally glorious day here.

It's also the day we may have our post election government announced. [Roll Eyes]

Oh well at least I will have a lovely walk.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Enjoy the walk, Huia. Pleasant day here so far unlike yesterday where there was a chilly stiff breeze all day.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Lovely here too: 17° and sunny. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

you mean that pale whitish thing that sometimes appears in the northern skies? [Biased]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

NZ has just had a change of government. I am stunned, happy, but stunned [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
NZ has just had a change of government. I am stunned, happy, but stunned [Yipee]

Huia

Much our reaction.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Huia

I have just read about this on the BBC website. Best wishes to NZ and the new government.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the new NZ PM is only 37! An amazingly young age to gain such high office - jolly good luck, and best wishes, to her.

Why, she's young enough to be my daughter IYSWIM, in which case I would be so PROUD...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Gosh - that is young, although not as young as the bloke who's just become Chancellor of Austria. [Eek!]

Best of luck to Ms. Ardern. [Smile]

[ 19. October 2017, 20:35: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Yes, I was expecting another party to form government. Shows how much I know...

All the best to Jacinda and her team, and her Greens and NZ First colleagues.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm assuming that NZ First isn't anything like the odious Britain First, which is a very unpleasant off-shoot of the (equally unpleasant) British National Party.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A lot of the "young" politicians are actually people who have been involved in The Party for many years,they just started in their youth.
A friend of mine who became an MP at 23 had been active in the party since age 11 and Jacinda Ardern, PM has been active since she was 17 ie 20 years involvement.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Yes, I was expecting another party to form government. Shows how much I know...

All the best to Jacinda and her team, and her Greens and NZ First colleagues.

Ian, no one knew for certain. Winston, who is NZ's longest serving politician, was originally in the National Party, and left to form New Zealand First. In the past NZ First have supported a National-led government and a Labour-led government at different times, and this time he wouldn't make even an indication until all votes had been counted (Special votes always favour Labour and the Greens, and the Greens amassed enough to have one extra MP over their election night total).

Piglet, I don't think I can make a fair comment about Winston Peters and NZ First and where they rank as opposed to other nationalist type groups. He is tougher on defence and law and order issues than Labour or the Greens, they favour cutting immigration (as do Labour), but Labour support an increase in refugees. I have seen him compared to Australia's Pauline Hansen ( which probably doesn't shed much light for you, sorry).

One thing that a European - born New Zealander pointed out to me was in a time when various countries in Europe have moved to the right, NZ has moved to the left.

Interesting and challenging times ahead for the new government, and for us all. [Votive]

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Interesting and challenging times ahead for NZ, yes, Huia. Something quite unexpected.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Winston's place on a right left spectrum is wherever Winston decided will give Winston the most glory. I fear this will end in tears ... and I'm a hardened lefty.

(Except on the two issues of abortion and euthanasia* ... and I note Victoria has just legalised the latter. Oh well. That's politics. Just done abort or euthanize me, you buggers).

* Not ultra conservative, either, on abortion. More cautious on euthanasia, though, for the reasons Paul Keating pointed out before the vote )

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Winston's place on a right left spectrum is wherever Winston decided will give Winston the most glory. [...snip][/URL] )

I agree. In my opinion, his Nearest equivalent in Australian politics would be Nick Xenophon rather than Pauline Hanson.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it just me that hopes Nick Xenophon comes a cropper in his bid for a seat in the SA parliament?
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Winston's place on a right left spectrum is wherever Winston decided will give Winston the most glory. I fear this will end in tears ... and I'm a hardened lefty.

Yes, that worries me too. There's a reason opponents often refer to the party as "Winston First."

Huia

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Is it just me that hopes Nick Xenophon comes a cropper in his bid for a seat in the SA parliament?

No!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

There's getting to be quite a crowd of us then.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

While I disagree with the man on some things, and respect him for others, the bouncing around is a bit odd.

Off to Orange for 2 days for work this week. Last time I was there for a shipmeet where I was picked up on the way at a petrol station on the M4, and had a rollicking good time with many shipmates. Fun days.

Saw a local production of Les Miserables Friday. Very good singing. The head of Environmental Sciences played a pimp and when I saw him afterwards I told him when he comes requesting data I won't look at him the same way!

I hear NZ's PM has said capitalism has been bad for NZ citing homelessness and poverty. I'll nail my colours to the mast and [Overused]

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Church fete here yesterday in nice sunshine after a couple of days of drizzle. As seems to happen at every church we every belong to , the bookish Marama and I were fingered to run the bookstall. It went well, with several hundred books sold. That may be good news for the would-be authors out there, although admittedly we selling second-hand stock cheaply.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
Church fete here yesterday in nice sunshine after a couple of days of drizzle. As seems to happen at every church we every belong to , the bookish Marama and I were fingered to run the bookstall. It went well, with several hundred books sold. That may be good news for the would-be authors out there, although admittedly we selling second-hand stock cheaply.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found a book at a used book sale and subsequently looked for more (new) books by the same author.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely, and conversely, if you find that you really didn't enjoy a book, it can always go back into the book-stall next year ...

[Devil]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I hear NZ's PM has said capitalism has been bad for NZ citing homelessness and poverty. I'll nail my colours to the mast and [Overused]

I'm definitely with her, it's NZ First I have some doubts about.

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016