homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is such good news Loth. I hope he will soon be pain-free.

We've just had a moderate wobble here, probably not enough to do any damage. Georgie-Porgy isn't the least bit worried and I didn't even feel it.

I am busy sorting out a vegetable garden for summer. Because I have left in a bit later than usual I have planted some seedlings as well as sowing seeds. If all goes well that will give me a progression of harvesting times rather than everything happening at once. I've concentrated on leafy vegetables as they never seem to come down in price the way carrots do, also plants like mizuma (it's related to mustard and I think it's from Japan) allow ongoing harvesting of the outside leaves rather than digging up the whole plant. In the past I have managed to keep the plants viable for most of the year.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That does indeed sound like the best kind of news, Loth. Prayers continuing to ascend for his rapid recovery, and (gradual) freedom from all the pain-killing drugs.

[Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, that is wonderful news.

Piglet, when is a coup not a coup? We're all sitting waiting to hear what happens next. I can't say army tactics make me hopeful for the restoration of democracy.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are all very grateful that things definitely seem to be improving. It has been such a long time. He hates people fussin but I said about a month ago that he would always be my firstborn. I could tell by his voice that he was touched.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Lothlorien, that is wonderful news.

Piglet, when is a coup not a coup? We're all sitting waiting to hear what happens next. I can't say army tactics make me hopeful for the restoration of democracy.

Yeah ... hearts in mouths ... news I'm seeing so far is not entirely discouraging but armies and democracies are like ... oh well, you get the point. Mind you, they could go sort out Trump next, though Jacinda may have him sorted ...

I was in Ghana when the army ousted Nkrumah. Good fun.

Glad our family are across the border in Zamb.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(from Zappa's link)
quote:
Ardern added that Trump didn’t appear to be offended by her comments
Probably because either (a) he didn't understand them; or (b) he doesn't believe that there were any protests against him.

Well done Ms. Ardern! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She rocks!

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I suspect at the moment that your country and mine (well, my adopted one anyway*) are the only ones on the planet with prime ministers who rock. [Big Grin]

* The least said about my country of birth, the better ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was so proud of Jacinda Ardern's reply. I wish I had a quick mind to answer people like that instead of thinking of the response at 3 a.m.

I've also read the maiden speech of Kiritapu Allan, a school drop out at 16, now a qualified lawyer and an M.P. I know that the maiden speech may give an overly optimistic impression, but I will follow her progress with interest.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do not understand coups. First Mugabe is ousted, then in full beautiful regalia he's taken out to present degrees or something. All I know about Zimbabwe is so sad, from the breadbasket of Africa to basket case as I read somewhere. And I think there are white Zimbabweans whose families have lived there for as long as mine have lived in New Zealand, probably much longer.
Great to have my lovely daughter and precious mokos here. On Monday we head for Matarangi, a two-day trip; we'll be back on the 29th, and they leave on 3 December. After that I have to sort out the differences between the tall dark willowy lady who's been dying to get her scalpel on to the 50-year-old Thing on my shin, and the chances of that being too close to my next orthopaedic adventure, the right knee which has disintegrated after taking all my weight for as long as the left leg was in trouble. The leg is crooked and painful and I depend on my walking frame till it's all repaired, trying not to put enough weight on the frame to affect the right shoulder. Plastic surgery takes place at Hutt Hospital, which is actually in a different DHB (District Health Board) So they have access to my files but not to forthcoming appointments.
Meanwhile the helpful cousin who took me under her wing until the family arrived now has her own problems and I'll have to figure out some other arrangement when the next surgery takes place.
But oh, those kids being here makes up for a lot of discomfort. They give me such loving hugs and kisses at bed time. They and their mother are real treasures.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Good to see you back and recovering GG. Matarangi with the mokos* sounds like a good plan.

I hope you manage to sort things out between the DHBs, it always seems a bit strange to me that the two Boards don't merge, when they are interdependent in some ways, but it's probably more complicated than I understand.

*mokos = mokopuna, grandchildren

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome back indeed, GG. Hope everything sorts itself out for your other knee (and the Thing). [Votive]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, we're glad that you're back and seem to be doing well. Just keep off the dance floor a little bit longer and you'll be right.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great to see you again GG. [Votive]

Enjoy the time with daughter and mokos!

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
We are all very grateful that things definitely seem to be improving. It has been such a long time. He hates people fussin but I said about a month ago that he would always be my firstborn. I could tell by his voice that he was touched.

I did note his good news while putting up with my own pain and frustration.
I really do rejoice with his positive outcomes. Whatever else is troubling me, I know with your son what it is to wake up and find the long-standing pain has been dealt with.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks GG. I hope all goes well with future arrangements and ops for you. I read your comments about leaning this way, walking that way, transferring stress to shoulders with some understanding of the problems. I would also add hanging on to walking stick handle like grim death at times. Makes arthritis play up in my hands.

Son starts hysrotherapy again next week and medication has been decreased. Wonderful news to all of us, especially him. He hated it. The start of a lengthy roaad to progress after years.

Enjoy your family time.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

With my strong connections with Zambia I have a great interest in Zimbabawe ... I think so far the army are doing an uncharacteristically genius job of maintaining normality - hence the full regalia outing - while preparing regime chnage. Sentimentally I hope Morgan Tsvangerai can step in, but really don't know enough. Hopefully in any case Zimbabwe's peaceful coup may stop Zambian leadership from eying corrupt practices.

Meanwhile I had a pleasant day riding horses at Mt Macedon in almost pleasant temperatures.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

(PS) ... though I forgot to remember that I'm in OZ, and sitting on an ants' nest is a Not Good Idea™

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
(PS) ... though I forgot to remember that I'm in OZ, and sitting on an ants' nest is a Not Good Idea™

[Snigger]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
(PS) ... sitting on an ants' nest is a Not Good Idea™

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
With my strong connections with Zambia I have a great interest in Zimbabawe ... I think so far the army are doing an uncharacteristically genius job of maintaining normality - hence the full regalia outing - while preparing regime chnage. Sentimentally I hope Morgan Tsvangerai can step in, but really don't know enough. Hopefully in any case Zimbabwe's peaceful coup may stop Zambian leadership from eying corrupt practices.

Reading this after this evening's news of Mugabe carrying on as usual. Can't wait to see how the generals and population handle that.
GG

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
I imagine that Zappa is referring to bull ants or bulldog ants. Bulldog is a better name as they bite hard and hang on. Extremely painful bite, with the pain and irritation lasting for some days. The traditional remedy is to crush some indigenous bracken and rub that into the bite. In Cuddlepot and Snugglepie, the ants kill cruel Mrs Snake when an nest or 2 of the ants cover her and bite at once. I'd imagine (having been bitten by only 1 ant on the 3 occasions I've been bitten) that you'd be wishing for death if even a half dozen bit.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

about ten bites as far as I can see, and yes, jack jumpers which are a form of bull ant ... still painful and swollen (you'll keep, Fr Rexory ... [Big Grin] ... You should have been a bishop with such compassion!*).

I saw the last few minutes of Mugabe's ramble, and fear this may yet turn nasty. [Tear]

* Actually, apart from sharing my owies here (okay, and FB too) because I'm a narcissist, I truly wasn't expecting much sympathy ...

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Jumping, biting ants!!! And they call Australia The Lucky Country???

Commiserations Zappa.

Today, if we're really lucky we might get some rain, so I'm going to plant some peas and a yellow rose named Friesia, which was Dad's favourite . I really should know better than to plant water guzzling roses, but I think I might have worked out a way to harvest the water from my shower and bath, which would make rose growing more defensible.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
quote:

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
I imagine that Zappa is referring to bull ants or bulldog ants. Bulldog is a better name as they bite hard and hang on. Extremely painful bite, with the pain and irritation lasting for some days. The traditional remedy is to crush some indigenous bracken and rub that into the bite. In Cuddlepot and Snugglepie, the ants kill cruel Mrs Snake when an nest or 2 of the ants cover her and bite at once. I'd imagine (having been bitten by only 1 ant on the 3 occasions I've been bitten) that you'd be wishing for death if even a half dozen bit.
I mentioned that one to Zappa, elsewhere. We were shown it at the beach when I was a child by an old man. His sight could not have been good , because, as he rubbed the split bracken stem on the non existent bite to show us what to do, an ant fell off the leaf further up and bit him.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
you'll keep, Fr Rexory ... [Big Grin] ... You should have been a bishop with such compassion!*).

[Big Grin] [Two face]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

the angry welts have mostly gone now ... I'll have to find something else to whinge about.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Is it spring yet in Scarily Close? If not ... [Devil]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Definitely spring [Yipee] All my leafy green veges are growing well and the seeds I planted are beginning to come through. November is drier than usual here, but we are getting more sea fog than usual and we hateses it Hobbits. I would rather have a few centimetres of rain (so would the garden), instead we get this cold, clammy, sun blocking stuff.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Is it spring yet in Scarily Close? If not ... [Devil]

Actually it was a civilised 25C today, so maybe at last ... on the other hand it was a very pleasant low 30s after the first few torrid days in Melbourne ... but at least there's signs of hope [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

These days I can cope with 25°, as long as there's not too much humidity. That was the killer in Newfoundland - if the temperature got much above 22° it tended to be 'orribly 'umid, which made it feel far hotter. Here, for the most part, it doesn't seem quite so bad (most of the time) and at least Château Piglet has good and efficient air-con. [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not that I wish to gloat (well, maybe I do), but Scotland appears to have stuffed Oz at rugby. It's not often we stuff anyone , so I'm relishing the moment. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

It was a fine moment!

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I legitimately forget rugby is a thing most of the time.

Is there a cup happening now or something?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Autumn Internationals. [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A really nasty accident in the Blue Mountains today. One man killed, one with multiple fractures in both legs and other injuries. The third had various fractures and injuries.

An amazing response by all emergency personnel. I would think there will probably be bravery awards for the work done. I have walked those tracks but not for a long time. Apparently that track has about 90,000 visitors annually and the three workers were surveying its safety.

[ 29. November 2017, 06:44: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were in the Blue Mountains at the start of last week celebrating our wedding anniversary (25th!). We walked a fair bit around Wentworth Falls, although obviously not on closed section of track where the accident happened. We remember walking past 2 younger looking NPS workers on the track at some stage - may have been the survivors?

[Votive]

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Curly! [Yipee]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

On Sunday I had my first apricot of the season [Axe murder] I'd forgotten how wonderful they are.

My vegetable garden is thriving and the sweet peas are beginning to flower. On the other hand, soaring temperature may mean restrictions on water usage are imposed. I am only hand-watering (except for accidently leaving a hose running overnight [Hot and Hormonal] ) and am trying to water only on the odd days in the month (people with even numbers on their letter boxes water on the even days).

I am hanging out for some rain, but there is none forecast until December 12 - I'm not holding my breath as the rain forecast for November didn't eventuate [Waterworks]

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

I'd given no thought for 8 weeks to my minimal garden, but when I remembered that my mandarin tree in a pot needed a bucket of water a day I disentangled the hose and gave it a good wetting. Then I looked at the two azaleas in the shade, also in pots, that had been covered in flowers when I left and they were totally droopy with dead flowers of course. After one soaking they were already reviving. Each was a gift from the church when a parent died. (Now three soakings – they'll live to bloom again!) My renga-renga lilies are in full bloom but a bit dry; my hebe hulkeana has saved one rather sad spray to cheer me up.

A helpful friend from the church took me to the dentist on Monday. Today a cousin drove me to the hospital to have an iron infusion. Her parents divorced many years ago; now she is keeping an eye on her mother and also her father (he's my first cousin so she's once removed) who is doing his best to stay in his own home but I had a very cheerful but extremely rambling conversation with him yesterday. And she's looking for full-time job. The plastic surgery's been postponed till Friday, and as my son's staff after having their end-of year luncheon and farewelling his HoD at the relevant time I'll find someone from church to chauffeur me.

I can't get excited about Christmas. I just hope I can survive it quietly sitting in a corner. Last year DiL went into hospital at 4 am on Christmas Day and the teens and I had strawberries and ice cream (my dessert contribution) for Christmas dinner. Son cooked the ham the next day. Better luck this year.

GG
GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hugs to you GG. Take it quietly, perhaps have something easy but special to eat. For me that would be prawns followed by fresh summer fruit and a glass of something I fancied, whatever that was.

Can I say to you that with some good food and attention, books and music, you will probably be recovering, just as your plants are and unfolding new growth.

[ 06. December 2017, 06:27: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

I've been so totally looked after for those two months. My 'carer' after surgery cooked wonderful dinners – a treat for her to have someone to cook for – and my daughter when she came anticipated my every need. The children were equally helpful; the 11-year-old when we went anywhere was at the car door to see me safely into my seat, folded my 'walker' and stowed is in the boot, then had it ready for me promptly when we arrived. I was so totally spoiled and surrounded by love, once I'd learned to accept it.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

The last few words are the important ones. accepting the help of concern or whatever they offer. Different things from different family members.
Even when I think it is interference, I know it is because of concern.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Welcome back GG. [Yipee]

Your words about accepting help resonated as I had a long phone conversation with my nephew last night.
He is upset that his only surviving grandmother is resistant to accepting help, to the extent of refusing to use her walker, then falling over multiple times.

I was walking back through town from a meeting on Tuesday evening at dusk and looked up from navigating a particularly bumpy stretch of footpath to see the new library. It's some months since I had seen it from that viewpoint, and I didn't realise what it was at first, then I realised [Axe murder] [Yipee] [Axe murder]

Completion date is late next year and I am so excited. I have been waiting for this since it was announced the old library would be demolished due to earthquake damage - and I am not a patient person.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good to see you back, GG - take care of yourself and enjoy the pampering that your family and friends are offering - it'll do you the world of good.

[Smile]

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go well GG.

Canberra and Sydney shipmates who love Bach, I highly recommend getting a ticket to the ACO’s Christmas Orotorio. FD and I went last night in Brisbane: it was awe inspiring. As always, the ACO does things with a twist and having a “choir of soloists” in the Choir of London made it even more special.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Forecast temperature maximum here today is 33c [Eek!]

I want to shift to somewhere cooler where it actually rains. November rainfall in Christchurch was 1mm, and December is no better.

Christchurch is fortunate in that the water supply comes from acquifers, (sp?) rather than rainfall, but other places are having difficulties with the quality their drinking water.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

I'd expected to have a few days in hospital after having a long-standing Thing removed from my shin, but the surgeon decided it would be safe to remove the two BCCs on my neck and just take a specimen from the other. So back home, with a weekend upon me and not a lot of food in the house. And although I have driven to the Medical Centre, and so could take myself to Countdown and the cafe where I often have my Sunday lunch, when a neighbour, finding me home, brought me a magnificent fresh fruit salad (about 8 fruits in season!) and then several pottles of leek soup, and when I was was just considering whom I should ask for help with shopping, she came back to say she was going to Countdown , and if I gave her a list and some cash she could do some for me.
My right knee will be replaced 'in the New Year' – I can't wait, as the kids say when they know they have to wait!
GG

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

You'll be dangerous in 2018!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GG, if all goes to plan we may meet again next year if St Andrews host the Progressive Spirituality gathering [Yipee] .

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016