homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
GG, if all goes to plan we may meet again next year if St Andrews host the Progressive Spirituality gathering [Yipee] .

Huia

I've decided to sign up for retrogressive spirituality [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a lot of it about Zappa, it shouldn't be any problem finding a place to sign up. [Razz]

The weather has improved vastly (from my point of view), but I would have wished the coldest day in weeks on the fun outdoor day at school where the had the water slide and other shivery activities.

I have put this morning aside for baking, and am having difficulty starting, but I bought some cherries yesterday, cheap because their best before date is today, and I will reward myself with them and the apricots, which were a bit on the pricey side. Thank goodness for he Christmas Club at my supermarket.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]

actually there is a serious element to my thoughts on this, as I do believe one task of spirituality is to conserve/preserve ancient narratives, and I therfore find that much that is self-flagged as "progressive" is rather ephemeral. But I doubt I'm a card carrying conservative, either.

Sadly it's plummeted from a most pleasant 27-30 ... I rate that in my mild range ... at Scarily Close To to a disturbing sub-20C [Waterworks] and while I haven't reached back to the thermals cupboard I am up to three layers again!

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
[Big Grin]

Sadly it's plummeted from a most pleasant 27-30 ... I rate that in my mild range ... at Scarily Close To to a disturbing sub-20C [Waterworks] and while I haven't reached back to the thermals cupboard I am up to three layers again!

It was 38c here when I was last outside 2 hours ago

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need to have a rant!!

I have been playing the organ at our church for the last 12 years. This church I belonged to until I was 24 and then came back to it when I was 54 after 30 years absence in another part of NSW.

Last June I received a request from another church, with pipe organ, to come and play whenever possible. An opportunity I took with great enthusiasm.

Circumstances at both churches have changed. The former have had an offer from another organist to fill in as required. I have offered to relinquish my part on the roster which is every three month for this new person, to let me be available to play the pipe, and to date this has not been acknowledged.

The one with the pipe have offered me, from January 2018, all funerals and weddings (paid, which is not a motive and both few and far between) and at least three Sundays a month, not paid.

My dilemma is I feel loyal to the former as there are some folk there I have known for many years and would be disappointed to see me leave. Also this church does very little outreach/community work. The church is locked form Sunday to Sunday with the hall let out on infrequent occasions. The minster is very egocentric, a nice guy as a person but hopeless as a minister. He has hardly spoken to me since I have been elsewhere! I have not lost sleep! On the whole the congregation sees the building as a sacred space that cannot be used for anything other than worship. It has to 'look nice'. No food or drink in the church and heaven help anyone who moves a chair an inch out of place.

The other congregation is the antithesis. They run a coffee shop 3 days a week at the back of the church, I volunteer twice a month, and have morning tea in the church following Sunday service. Their halls are let out permanently to community groups and they are very proactive in social justice issues. The minister has been a moderator in the UCA and is a pleasure to listen to his sermons which are more teachings. It is a much smaller congregation but one in which I feel very much at home.

What do I do? Go with my gut which says play the pipe and get involved with community events etc or stay and be bored by outdated ideas and sermons?

Rant over.

Any thoughts much appreciated

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
[Big Grin]

It was 38c here when I was last outside 2 hours ago
It hit that here about 11:00 am. Tomorrow looks ok and then most of next week is back with the heat. I had everything closed but there is a breeze outside so have opened balcony door and wet everything out there.

[ 14. December 2017, 03:27: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa, I don't entirely disagree with you about spirituality. I have heard some hideous language that I'm sure makes the Baby Jesus cry, but I have heard some that helps me gain a clearer understanding of what is being conveyed, which has been helpful.

I hope the temperature in your neck of the woods goes up to your comfort zone - being cold is miserable.

Dennis, when I felt caught between two places I followed my heart and it changed my life. Your post sounds as though you know where you want to be. I made a complete break, but as there are people you still feel connected to you may handle it differently.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:

Any thoughts much appreciated

I'm hearing the active place calling your heart ...

(the other has echoes of a cathedral I once knew)

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dennis the Menace, none too sure that it's for me to tell you what I ink is the answer - but in any event you seem to have made the decision for yourself.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The mokopuna have gone, but the ice cream in the freezer is Goody Goody Gumdrops – don't they have it in Canada?
GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are times I forget I'm not in the big city anymore.

And then the local paper produces this as I know where I am. I do love the Murray for a chilling dip. 42C supposedly today.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a couple of 40+ deg days last week, and predicted for today and tomorrow, before the cool change keeps temps in the mid-20s for a couple of days, then 34 Saturday and 37 Sunday. Don't relish the 5pm Family Eucharist on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is predicted for a comfortable 23 and then mid-20's right through to the New Year. It will be a restful and comfortable Christmastide.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
We had a couple of 40+ deg days last week ...

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Most pleasant ... wish i was there.

Do any of you recall the predicting the ocker purple threads I've run from time to time? For those of you who are anglicanny minded it's tempting to speculate again, as some strategic rural vacancies are up and running: Canberra/Goulburn, I think, Gippsland following + Kay's elevation, Grafton (not sure why Macneil's stepped down as she's only about sixty), and Bunbury ... there may be other.

Any suggestions and/or rumours?

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Newcastle diocesan synod was told a few weeks ago they had to elect a bishop or be in competition with multiple other vacancies. I thought North Queensland might also be coming up shortly, but Bishop Bill is still a couple of years below retirement age there.

Bishop John Stead may be a candidate for Canberra/Goulburn, having been a senior priest there before taking up the assistant bishop's post in Bathurst prior to becoming diocesan in Willochra. He was a candidate for Newcastle.

Bishop Garry Weatherill is another possibility there, but I understand he is very happy in Ballarat.

Underlying health issues seem to be behind Bishop Sarah's resignation, although my direct source has now departed that diocese.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

+ Peter Stuart would be likely for Newcastle, wouldn't he?

I had heard + Gary Ballarat hadn't been well, but haven't heard more and am a bit out of touch.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
The mokopuna have gone, but the ice cream in the freezer is Goody Goody Gumdrops – don't they have it in Canada?
GG

You might want to hang onto that to bribe the NZ ones. Tip-Top are having difficulty keeping up with the demand and there may even be a shortage looming.

Huia [Help]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We saw + Garry last year when he was in Sydney for a deaconing. He is very hefty, to put it as politely as possible, and very flushed in his face. + Peter Stuart was very comfortable elected to Newcastle a fortnight or 3 weeks ago, and this is the announcement.

No stories yet on either Gippsland or Grafton.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I have not read the Royal Commission report thoroughly, but the new Bishop seems to have emerged very well, nearly as well as + Greg. Given comments made over the years by some people, Michael Eliiot also came out well.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We saw + Garry last year when he was in Sydney for a deaconing. He is very hefty, to put it as politely as possible, and very flushed in his face. + Peter Stuart was very comfortable elected to Newcastle a fortnight or 3 weeks ago, and this is the announcement.

No stories yet on either Gippsland or Grafton.

Shows how out of touch I am.

Yup, + Ballarat is not a picture of health.
[Tear]

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember when Peter Stuart wqs ordained - it feels lke only a moment in time ago. Looking at his photo he appears to be still a young man. I hope he has grown up a bit since my earlier interactions with him.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Bib, he is more pastoral in approach than when he arrived, but there is still some growing to do. I think the Royal Commission has humanised his approach significantly. It will be an interesting ride.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I've known him a little bit over the years ... he struck me as being fairly ambitious and keen to be seen in the right circles in early, Tasmanian days, but he wouldn't be the first successful leader to demonstrate that trait. I'm glad he didn't get Newcastle when +Greg did, as it has given him a long and volatile apprenticeship. Watch this space, I guess ... it is a tough time to be a leader over a crumbling institution, and in the next ten years the best he could achieve is to ensure that the institution, or his part of it, becomes a vehicle of grace, love, light, rather than self-preservation. There will be much heartache for him if he is a decent human being.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

PS ... I'm guessing the Dean of Brisbane and + Venables, both erstwhile sojourners in Grafton, will appear on that list, though I think the latter would be better off continuing an episcopal apprenticeship in Brisbane for a year or two, then heading back up to the pointy end of QLD.

Apologies to those who have better things to concern them (like the weather [Biased] )

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Is that the same Peter Stuart who came from NZ? If so I remember hearing about him when he was Vicar of Eastbourne, just over the hill from the valley where I was brought up. A friend at Teachers' College spoke warmly of him. But that was in the dim, distant past

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

No a different one ... quite different! I liked the Eastbourne one (not that I don't like this one) though I knew his wife a little more than I knew him. This Newcastle one has a tenuous NZ connection as his wife's parents were kiwis, but I'm not sure where she was born (could work it out I guess). Wairarapa way ... + Newcastle's father in law was head of St John's College / College of the Southern Cross in Auckland for a while.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No more pumpkin scones.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Goodness, that's a blast from the past. Wasn't it her late husband whom another M.P called a "Bible Bashing B...? (too rude for All Saints). I always liked that phrase for the way it rolls off the tongue. I think he came from Dannevirke.

I've never had pumpkin scones, but I have made pumpkin muffins which were lovely and spicy.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes it was her husband, and it was Gough who called him that. Gough was not attacking religious belief, but in the parade of that belief as a means of vote-garnering. Hoh B-P was like the pharisee, loud at prayer, thanking God for not making him like that sinner over there.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was never a fan of Lady Flo, but I'll doff my hat at a life well lived.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That should of course been Joh. Too late to use the edit function, but fits into the season.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Gee D, I heard from a young bird that in the first storm yesterday afternoon that several of the shops on your side of the line were flooded. Then more damage that side from second storm. Young bird reported that local pizza place in the group was flooded and then swamped by orders after second storm.

Hope you avoided damage.

We have just in time had work done on drains here. Last time in such storms the basement car park was flooded. We had holding tanks enlarged, pipes replaced, more drains added. Cost us a small fortune but hopefully it worked last night. I have not been out to investigate. There is also a ventilation tower which we recapped to cover the grating used but which let water in. New cap is much bigger and stands proud of the grating but covering it so rain does not get in.

[ 20. December 2017, 20:57: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

good God - I thought she died years ago

RIP

--------------------

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's so good to hear gossip from the other side of the world, that I don't have to worry about or feel I should be doing something!
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Yes it was her husband, and it was Gough who called him that. Gough was not attacking religious belief, but in the parade of that belief as a means of vote-garnering. Hoh B-P was like the pharisee, loud at prayer, thanking God for not making him like that sinner over there.

Yes, that was my impression. One of my strongest hopes at the time was that he wouldn't return home and bring his politics with him.

The phrase actually remained in my head long after the details surrounding it.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I remember picketing him when he came back to address the Lutheran Church in Palmerston North ... somewhere around 1981

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

He seemed to have little trouble keeping his beliefs and his politics and corrupt ways quite separate

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you for your enquiry Lothlorien. We had a blackout for about an hour but it was over before I got home. We still went out to dinner.

I really don't understand your first paragraph.

[ 21. December 2017, 07:23: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Young fledging of my family works aat Crust and passed on news of damage on your side and also of flooding at cofee shop and pizza place.

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello everyone. My, has it been a long time since I came by the Ship, and I see a new ship is about to be launched. That's exciting.

Happy Festive Season to you all.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you, Nunc. Greetings to you down south from here.

I was just re reading a hell thread you started.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Welcome back. I was thinking of you the other day, along with Mad Tea Woman, Ecumaniac, Ultra-Crepidarian, Sir Pellinore and LATA. Hope all is well.

[ 23. December 2017, 04:25: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

And Cusanus.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

and a myriad more [Tear]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes indeed. Clarence calls in from time to time, so that's a bit of a link to FD. Still quite a few who have disappeared.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Festive Greetings to you all!

39-40 degree Christmas Eve predicted for us, with the family service scheduled for 5pm when the town church will be a furnace. Could be interesting.

Fortunately, I don't have to robe until Midnight Mass, when the cool change should have arrived. Then we have temperate days right through to the New Year.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Roll on the southerly! 37 forecast for down here. You could perhaps follow Fr Gwylim’s example of a few years ago.. vestments including heavy brocade cope, (no chasuble, this is Sydney,). As he processed down centr aisle his feet, clad in Teva leather sandals , could be seen poking out.

[ 23. December 2017, 10:08: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Embarrassing moment in church one Christmas. This is a long time ago when I could be classed as yoof. Yoof activities for practically every night in week leading up to Christmas saw me getting to bed around 2:00 am. Even later on Christmas Eve where we spent hours swinmming in pool at Palm Beach. After a few hours sleep, I was up at church, St Marks Ermington, for the Christmas service at 8:00am. No breakfast, next to no sleep for a week,and teh start of a very hot day. It was over 30° then. We stood for first hymn, and I fainted, knocking my head on seat of pew as I fell.

A doctor in congregation ran me home what was really only a few minutes walk away. Strong words from him about common sense, food, heat etc.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chaos reigns at Chez Curly. All but me are busy all week with kids program at church - 86 primary aged children + 60 leaders and crew. New minister is on deck and doing great work in the midst of it all, big musical Christmas Eve service tonight.

Middle has emerged from the HSC unscathed and will be going to Sydney Uni next year to do Arts/social work.

While Mrs C has done all the necessary planning, the younger members seem oblivious to the fact that we fly to Rome on Christmas night. Packing? Tidying up the house? Bah, humbug. Tomorrow is going to be a very long day ..

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Well done to Middle, in what was a very good year for school - highest ranking non-selective boys' school, second highest ranking non-selective overall.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016