homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] BarnabusAus and neighbours

Lovely to see you Ian Climacus!!!!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... I hope the person lighting [the fires] is found quickly.

You mean they were started deliberately?? I was assuming they were the result of the hot, dry weather. [Eek!]

Prayers continuing to ascend for you all, especially Barnabas and Mrs. Aus and their neighbours - that is way too close a shave.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The strong suggestion is that those around the town where Barnabas Aus lives were deliberately lit. They all started very close in time, and from memory someone was seen running. A person who deliberately starts a fire and is reckless as to its spread is liable to a sentence of up to14 years.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks again for your support and prayers. Our insurance assessor has been, and has engaged a professional recovery team to help clear out the wreckage, and then a building consultant will come in to arrange repairs and reconstruction. We are feeling much more settled. And it's raining!
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Raining here too and also at son's place on coast between Gosford and Woywoy. All afternoon and evening would be good. Lots of stressed trees and shrubs here and even the agapanthus and clivea strappy leaves are bleached and burnt.

Professional clean up sounds a really good idea. I hope you and others can now move forward.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you're safe and the danger is over, Barnabus. Out here we have teens starting wildfires who don't really understand the devastating consequences but arson destroys community spirit in so many ways.

Lothlorien, you could be describing my garden -- agapanthus, clivias half-dead, even the herbs have shrivelled up. I'm good at using grey water (standing in tubs for soapless showers etc) but it isn't enough.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nasty shooting in Mebourne. One friend of mine was in the vicinity and says it was pretty scary. Three dead. Unlike the USA the incident did not end in a hail of bullets, but three dead is three tragedies.

Friggin' 'eck ... fresh snow fell on the mountains where we have been this week. It's mid-January fro crying out loud.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
quote:
Crazy summer weather ... In Wellington the forecast is 150 -160kp/h

150 kph last night. The house creaked like a ship at sea.

Twelve hours later it is relatively calm and gloriously sunny with blue sky, red pohutakawa and lush greenery. The latter owing to the fact that we have yet to have days consistently above 20 degrees.

I was in Featherston. Got over the Rimutakas just before they were closed. Got caught by a gust yesterday morning in Featherston that was the closest I've ever been to being blown off my feet.

Calm in the Bay, but not warm. Definitely not warm.

[ 20. January 2017, 05:42: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Nasty shooting in Melbourne ...

Is there any other sort? [Frown]

[Votive] for the souls of those killed.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news Barnabas Aus.

Horrific events in Melbourne. My manager is from there and seemed dumstruck by it all, particularly being somewhere he frequented and knew well. [Votive] for all killed, injured or affected.

Some lovely rain yesterday and the promise of a sunny day today. Planning on driving along the Murray east to Corryong and doing a small bushwalk or two. Saturdays are nice days.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Zappa that the gales you've been experiencing have mangled the news beams across the Tasman. Only 1 shot, but 4 killed, when a man drove his car into a pedestrian mall; the assertion is that this was deliberate.

The shooting was of the driver. If what the police allege is true, we find it hard to have much sympathy for the gunshot wound he received; wrong of us, but hard.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sympathy be damned! The man is drug-addled criminal who - but for the gutless magistrates - would not have been out on bail. Starting in a pedestrian mall he drove down whomever he could hit - so far four, including a child, are dead.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He was also apparently well known to police because of a very long history of domestic violence. It is alleged he stabbed a family member earlier before the rampage.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Laud-able, Laudable, where was there an appeal that the decision to grant bail was wrong? I can't say much of what has happened in Victoria, but in NSW there is a presumption against a grant of bail in so many cases, not good at all.

On another front, we drove back home yesterday. Not the best of drives but we made it. The garden needs days of rain to recover from the heat, and replenish the tanks we use to water it. Not all that happy with the idea of recycling grey water onto the garden.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

As it happens two of my friends were nearby, and caught up in the pandemonium. Of my family none were near, though one daughter's partner had planned to be there at that time but got waylaid, and my former-wife's partner had just left the area.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Horrible ...and even moreso that he could have been picked up earlier.

At least we can't blame a criminal act for the fire near Vulpior. A bird flew into overhead electrical wires, incinerated itself and then set the grass on fire when it hit the ground.

Bet it was a galah. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Premier has just announced changes to the bail system in Victoria. To begin, a night court of magistrates is to be established to hear bail applications from those accused of crimes of violence - part of the disaster that led to the (so far five) murders in Melbourne arose because a bail justice granted bail to the perpetrator who was already on bail for a prior offence. Bail justices, l should explain, have hitherto been volunteers (with minimal training) to whom the police have been obliged to refer out-of-hours applications for bail.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope they do change the bail laws. I thought they had made them stricter since the Jill Meagher murder, but things like this happen again.

We also need better mental health and drug treatment as so many of these violent crimes seem to be by people on ice or similar drugs suffering from psychosis. Obviously most people with a mental illness are not violent, but those who are a danger to themselves and others should be off the street getting appropriate treatment.

It also seems domestic violence is still not being taken seriously as they seem to give bail more frequently when it is a spouse/partner or family member who has been attacked, rather than a stranger.

My parents were having lunch where the crime occurred the day before and a couple of friends narrowly missed being caught up in it. One ran to catch a tram - if she missed it she would have been there. The other had been there and was 50 metres away when the incident happened.

A baby has died now too and there are still 6 people in a critical condition in hospital. Praying for them all and the families of the victims.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Godspeed the change in laws. And continued thoughts and [Votive] s for those affected.

Gosh Mili: 50 metres isn't far! Thanks be to God.

---

Went for a dip in the, slightly chilly, Murray tonight after a 39 degree day. Was lovely to float down the river for a while, with many others and a number of ducks. I am lucky to live here.

[ 23. January 2017, 09:06: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The ABC news is now reporting that a man has been charged with setting fire to the grass near Barnabas Aus's house.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
The ABC news is now reporting that a man has been charged with setting fire to the grass near Barnabas Aus's house.

RFS site has more fires in that area with the water dropping aircraft in use again. Even though there was a fire there last week, hot conditions and winds can carry embers a long way. Embers in gutters and under houses etc can cause a fire even when vegetation has already been burnt. Hope all is well.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It has indeed been full on here again. The fire was on the opposite side of town almost adjacent to the hospital and retirement village. Choppers, C-130 Hercules and DC-10 waterbombers deployed, and knocked the fire down relatively quickly. Southerly about to hit, which I hope doesn't flare it up again.
The police have been fairly vigilant in their monitoring of suspects, I gather, so hopefully the arrest of this young man will see an end to it.
We need rain, but it seems to be blowing around us.

RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

- Posted      Profile for RainbowGirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm near(ish) you Barnabas and we've been absolutely hammered with rain over the last couple of hours, I'm hoping it hit you and sorted the fires out! Bush fires absolutely terrify me.
Posts: 32 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

They also reported he was out on bail!!!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I for one love the inclusive message of this year's Lamb advert for Australia Day. I know it's a bit stereotyped, but it is funny, e.g. this dialogue
British commander stepping ashore, " We are the first fleet"
Aborigine already on the beach, "not quite, mate".

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Bail refused, Dennis. Back in court today. Heavy rain late last night should have really helped, but we're down for 41 degrees again on Monday.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great advert, Tukai, can I assume that it does NOT carry a Pauline Hanson Seal of Approval?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some rain at last here in the Cape, a few hours reprieve from the heat. As always, the rain came down just as I finished carting buckets of precious water around the garden. [Frown]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
MaryLouise I always think the pre-rain watering helps the rain soak in better. I don't know if it really does, but I am wondering if I heard it somewhere (of course I am not beyond inventing something then believing it [Roll Eyes] ).

As the so-called weather bomb mostly avoided Christchurch (apart from I night of light rain) we are having water restrictions. At this stage they're more suggestions and not compulsory, but could become so if the high temps and lack of rain continues. On the other hand my favourite small town has 2832.1mm (or 111.5 inches) of rain a year so there are no restrictions on watering and some lovely gardens.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
MaryLouise I always think the pre-rain watering helps the rain soak in better. I don't know if it really does, but I am wondering if I heard it somewhere (of course I am not beyond inventing something then believing it [Roll Eyes] ).
Huia

If rain falls on hard, dry ground it pretty much just rolls off. Pre-watering softens the soil so that the rain can soak in. (Try mopping up a spill with a dry sponge -- it doesn't work as well as a damp sponge.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, of course. Sometimes I make more sense that I think I do. [Biased]

Thanks Pigwidgeon,

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Water saving crystals work well in the potting mix for pots. Just don't use too much as I once did and went outside after rain to see a quivering mass of clear jelly on top of one of my pots. The crystals had spilt in the pot and when wet had expanded upwards and outwards.

For both pots and garden soil, wetting agents help so water is absorbed into soil and it does not merely run off.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As it's presumably now well into Thursday Down Under, may I wish all the Australian shippies a happy Australia Day?

Have a good one! [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have a good Australia Day, folks - it is Republic Day here in India.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thank you both. Happy Republic Day WW, and all in India!

Interesting choice for Australian of the Year. I had not heard of him. And a variety of recipients for Young Australian of Year, Australia's Local Hero and Senior Australian of the Year. Well done to them all for their work.

A bit of gastric has kept me indoors today. Friends have been floating down the Murray on pool floats and having bbqs. My boss is taking the family to a waterfall I visited last weekend where you can, with some scrambling, get to the pool of water underneath. Good day for it.

[edit: can't spell Happy]

[ 26. January 2017, 04:42: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hope that complaint goes quickly for you, Ian. I remember some of your trips abroad from times past and also some of the walks you took up here. Around Waverton perhaps, seems familiar?

It is quite warm and stuffy up here and scrabbling around in a bush pool sounds a good idea.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Doesn't Professor Alan Mackay-Sim come across as a really nice bloke? Congratulations to him on his award.

I watched that Lamb advert again this morning - yes, it is stereotyped AND it is also excellent, particularly the question at the end.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Pre-watering is now my favourite word (thanks Huia and Pigwidgeon)and I shall look out for the water-saving crystals Lothlorien mentioned.

Happy Australia Day to those who celebrate it!

I'm on final deadline for an editing project so planning to spend the morning making a complicated roast vegetable stock for tonight's mushroom risotto. Procrastination, c'est moi...

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Just pointing out that there are two products. Wetting solution which affects surface of soil to absorb moisture and crystals which absorb water and expand, making water available under soil to roots.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I must say, Ian, it's so good to have you back around the decks!

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thanks Zappa. [Hot and Hormonal]

Great to see you too. I still have fond memories of my Wankydilla visit.

Gastric seems to have passed... Now just trying to be motivated [and as you can tell by my presence here, failing] at work. A Friday after a public holiday is a tough thing.

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most of my Friday work conversations went:
Me: So how was your yesterday?
Colleague: oh pretty good, caught up with a few friends and had a nice relaxing day...but I'm really messed up about what day it is today. It feels like I got done out of a weekend and it's Monday again.

Maybe we should stick to keeping the national day to a long weekend.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Most of the public holidays here happen on Mondays even if the actual date doesn't; in Newfoundland St. John's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Victoria Day and Orangemen's Day were all marked by holidays on the nearest Monday.

The exceptions were Canada Day (1st July) and Remembrance Day (11th November) which were always marked by the actual day (although if they fell at weekends you'd get the following Monday off).

It makes sense in a country where people* often have country retreats, be they cabins, cottages or mansions, where they like to go for weekends.

* Not us - we can barely afford one house, let alone two. [Eek!]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Oh what a perfect day here ... 28°C, 3% humidity, a 3 kph NE wind. Like Darwin in the dry season. Sheer bloody heaven.

Shame about the world, though.

[Edit: bloody miscreant K [Roll Eyes] ]

[ 28. January 2017, 22:06: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Most of the public holidays here happen on Mondays even if the actual date doesn't; in Newfoundland St. John's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Victoria Day and Orangemen's Day were all marked by holidays on the nearest Monday.

Anzac Day and Australia Day are holidays on correct date. otherwise usually a Monday is the day chosen. We too double up if Christmas etc is on the weekend.

Bank Holiday is in August on a Monday for those associated with banks etc. Public servants used to get that holiday too till there was a huge outcry from those who did not get it. A premier, Carr I think, supposedly abolished it for public servants and the uproar died down. He then added it without fanfare to the general holidays at Christmas. My son in public service gets an extra day there,

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Just to safeguard the reputation of Canada, Orangeman's Day, St; John (the Baptist)'s Day and St. Patrick's Day are not holidays in the rest of the country.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Fair play, John. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Orangeman's Day" might take on a whole new meaning here in the U.S.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ah, the advent of orange squirrels on a folliucally challenged scalp ... so attractive

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:

Anzac Day and Australia Day are holidays on correct date. otherwise usually a Monday is the day chosen. We too double up if Christmas etc is on the weekend.

True now, but I am old enough to remember the good old days before 1994 when Australia Day was always marked on a Friday or Monday to make a long weekend, after which most schools resumed from their summer break. But PMs Howard (of white armband history) and Abbott (10 flags per speech and military parades galore) wanted to mark Aust Day as more than just a good excuse for a barbecue or a day at the beach.
Personally, I reckon they went far too far in the other, flag-waving, direction.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016