homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A cloudy day, warm but not hot and enough wind. Perfect for the Christchurch's annual kite day held at New Brighton Beach. This is one of my favourite free events as part of the Summertimes Festival and marks the end of the school holidays. Lots of people of all ages but they were spread out along the beach so it didn't feel crowded. The kites were magnificent and came in all shapes and sizes, birds, fish, butterflies, dragons and a very effective small one that looked like an octopus. The friend I was with finally managed to get both his kites flying successfully, not helped much by me as I was just there to enjoy other people's efforts.

It was a wonderful break from the tidying and cleaning I've been doing to prepare a space for my new bed. (I jumped on the other one holding Georgie-Porgy and it broke so she is going on a diet tomorrow [Biased] )*

*Actually it was not made of wood, but something that looked like compressed cardboard that had been painted. It was a bad buy on my behalf, but I was seduced by the shape [Roll Eyes] Unfortunately the shop is no longer trading and the site is a barren piece of ground.

The salesman (who looked a bit sceptical at my blaming Georgie [Razz] ) assured me this one is solid pine and is bolted together. We will see if Georgie is up to the implied challenge.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went into work for 3 part-days last week, but tomorrow sees me back in full swing for another, and hopefully my last, year. I've thought about part-time, but beyond a bit of fiddling around the edges that's not really feasible.

A significant day for me this week, and Dog's still with us to help celebrate. Unfortunately he won't last much longer and we won't be getting another. That would leave us in our early 80s caring for a dog at a time when we may well be wanting to move into a unit apart from the other considerations.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope that significant day goes well for you, GeeD.

A significant day in extended family here. Son of my new DIL starts High School today and Miss M does also. Not quite so much a jump as it could be as their school is K-12. Uniform differs to primary school. The two of them are hoping to be in different classes to each other. They were deliberately separated in sixth class after being in same class the year before. They both brought home tales from school, so separating was a good idea.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Ah, the advent of orange squirrels on a folliucally challenged scalp ... so attractive

You may be being unfair to squirrels - they're cute. [Smile]

Huia - that's right - blame the cat. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Lothlorien'

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kite day sounded wonderful Huia! As does a new bed.

Thanks for explaining why we uni workers got an extra "In lieu of Bank Holiday" after Boxing Day Lothlorien.

My eldest niece started high school as well [same school as last year, K-12] as well today, and she seemed to enjoy it -- though "a lot to remember". Better than my younger nieces who both pronounced Year 3 and Year 2 "rather boring". The youngest because the music player was broken so a particular game, Musical Statues, could not be played.

Heard from a friend their daughter was told at preschool by some other kid that they did not want to play with her as she was dark [mixed Malaysian-Japanese-Italian]. [Tear] Poor girl.

(Early) Happy significant day GeeD, and hope your full week goes well.

I had a productive day, despite the hot winds blowing through the air vents from outside and heating up my office -- and my bare lower legs as I wore shorts. 40C+ day. Not sure if I've said but we have a environmentally friendly building [with drop toilets!] that is supposed to be naturally cool. A/C was retro-fitted in the middle, and we get a bit of it; but as they were built to Euro standards it struggles a bit in the heat.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy significant day, GeeD!

Working on copy for art gallery monographs and an exhibition catalogue, one of the more enjoyable projects to start 2017.

And it rained this weekend! Not nearly enough to help with water shortages, but the garden revived miraculously.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Feels like a good day to Tasman-hop

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Feels like a good day to Tasman-hop

Sounds like a dance from the 60s.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Depends where you are hopping to, Zappa. Yet another 37+ day down here and several more forecast for end of week. You would welcome it, but it is getting mighty tiresome here. 41 in my area yesterday, more than that westwards.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
A cloudy day, warm but not hot and enough wind. Perfect for the Christchurch's annual kite day held at New Brighton Beach. This is one of my favourite free events as part of the Summertimes Festival and marks the end of the school holidays. Lots of people of all ages but they were spread out along the beach so it didn't feel crowded. The kites were magnificent and came in all shapes and sizes, birds, fish, butterflies, dragons and a very effective small one that looked like an octopus. The friend I was with finally managed to get both his kites flying successfully, not helped much by me as I was just there to enjoy other people's efforts.

It was a wonderful break from the tidying and cleaning I've been doing to prepare a space for my new bed. (I jumped on the other one holding Georgie-Porgy and it broke so she is going on a diet tomorrow [Biased] )*

*Actually it was not made of wood, but something that looked like compressed cardboard that had been painted. It was a bad buy on my behalf, but I was seduced by the shape [Roll Eyes] Unfortunately the shop is no longer trading and the site is a barren piece of ground.

The salesman (who looked a bit sceptical at my blaming Georgie [Razz] ) assured me this one is solid pine and is bolted together. We will see if Georgie is up to the implied challenge.

Huia

Heavy cats are a common problem, Huia. I always pick one up when I get on the bathroom scales.

[ 31. January 2017, 04:21: Message edited by: rexory ]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Depends where you are hopping to, Zappa. Yet another 37+ day down here and several more forecast for end of week. You would welcome it, but it is getting mighty tiresome here. 41 in my area yesterday, more than that westwards.

Miserable bloody 14 here at the moment ... I like the parts of OZ that don't get cold overnigh. Melbourne ... not so much. In fact it's only about 100 kms north of where I live so the only suprising thing is that I always forget ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's -7° here at the moment, but it's been a glorious, bright, sunny day. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's 15c here, which I think is great because I have to finish cleaning the bedroom and it's easier when it's cooler. It was over 30c yesterday and I had to keep stopping so I could cool down.

Bed arrives tomorrow morning [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Please keep GeorgyPorgy from jumping on the new bed. [Big Grin]

That temperature sounds blissful. Over 40 at my place again, yesterday and more of the same at next weekend.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting few days with 3 grandchildren starting at new schools and B1.1 and B1.2 entering their last years at primary and middle schools respectively. So 2 big fish in small ponds and 3 small fish in big ponds. We have been busy providing reassurance, advice, cheer leading, back up support and various school bits. We are tired already!

TP went to the mall to get away from the heat on Monday and was amused at the number of completely fed up mothers wrangling ratty kids and essential supplies. One small bored person managed to poke holes in an entire display of toilet paper while TP was waiting in line. I think he found it fascinating (not exactly what the mother thought when she noticed). A week not for the faint hearted.

And then the sadistic sales gurus follow this stressful week with flogging lovey dovey Valentine's Day merchandise everywhere. Hmmmm....

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Not a holiday I have ever had anything to do with.

Cooler today but still stuffy inside.

I was guilty once of taking my three to a local Westfield in a heatwave. It was not a cheap outing as there was very little by way of entertainment and we bought drinks etc. Local library was situated elsewhere. However, they did not poke holes in toilet paper display or do anything else along similar lines.

I am suffering from too much heat and not enough sleep. I replied to an email from ex Mr L warning of a virus spread in a photo of cops arresting Trump. It is old news and false. Sent him a link to Snopes, and managed some derogatory comment about being gullible and hoping I would soon see news of a real arrest. Spoke about alternative news etc. In nine years since I walked out, this is the first time I have replied but this was a good opportunity. A swipe at his being gullible, a swipe at Trump, and an opportunity for education about sites like.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Miss M and Master M, new step grandson, both started high school yesterday. He is apprehensive, having just been diagnosed with mild epilepsy and a form od sensory disorder. He is having occupational therapy which has been some help and is just getting medication sorted for epilepsy.

They attend the same fairly large Christian school k-12 in western suburbs. Eldest grandchild has just graduated from there. Not my choice but better than many other choices there.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, spare a thought for central NSW where some places like Moree have endured 36 consecutive days of temps over 35 degrees celsius.

I'm not sure even heathogs like Zappa would enjoy that.

Here in the national capitol we have had two cool rainy mornings in a row - a blessed respite from the searing midsummer fiery numbers. Due to climb again after today, but the garden is looking much less stressed, as is TP.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Captain Middle and Little Miss are back at school and have resettled into routines OK. MIddle turns 17 in a couple of weeks - hard to believe. Biggest is enrolled in his Uni course - his full time load involves 9 contact hours a week. He is working hard at building up his music tuition business.

One of our home group members talked about selling his plumbing business and retiring in our "share your hopes for the year" session. I (excitedly) asked him what his post-retirement plans were, and he said going on dialysis and waiting for a kidney transplant. It wasn't the only challenging news last night..

[Votive] For G.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Captain of cricket Middle? I must have missed something, but congratulations in any event.

The kidney transplant sound worse than it may end up being. The husband of my elder sister had one done a dozen years ago. Not easy, and he took 6 months off, but he went back to work for another half dozen or more years after that, and is still going strong. I hope all goes as well as that for your colleague.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Captain of cricket Middle? I must have missed something, but congratulations in any event.

No, he's Captain of the School - remembering that he's at the local public school rather than at the hallowed halls graced by his brother.

mr curly

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Still, congratulations to him - and my aged brain did have him at the correct school.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you all for your kind wishes. Yesterday went well - my floor put on drinks, then a quiet dinner at home with Madame, Dlet, my father and my mother-in-law. Dlet chauffered both of them The real treat of the day was an extra squirt of tomato sauce on my devon-and-tomato-sauce sandwich at lunch.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
The real treat of the day was an extra squirt of tomato sauce on my devon-and-tomato-sauce sandwich at lunch.

It's the little things...

Like today when at home I was making myself a smoked salmon sandwich for lunch. I was about to grumble at the lack of light cream cheese in the fridge when I found a half-eaten brie. It went quite nicely.

mr curly

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Back to school today and I was welcomed with open arms as a huge pile dual language, English/Samoan reading books had arrived and need to be processed. The school roll is about 50% Samoan and the books are aimed at helping the parents to help their children. It's a huge step up from when I was teaching.

The problem is that there was an equally huge pile of solely English reading books that arrived late last year (from a difference source) and are still unprocessed.

Part of me wanted to run screaming from the building [Help] [Help]

Being a volunteer(with no 'clout' in the system)I'm thinking of suggesting a dual language group of parents might be invited to help as part of the launch of the new books [Two face]

Seriously though I do think it is worth celebrating.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Much more decadent a lunch than my usual.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have people seen this news story about a million dollar cross in the NT outback.

Not my cup of tea at all. What do people think. (I haven't seen another thread on this topic)

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Not my cup of tea either. Then again I am not in favour of the Big Prawn, sheep, bull or whatever else there may be on our highways.

That website is very vague on details except to say the community wanted it.

A caravan park was suggested in its stead. My sister has travelled extensively in outback and says decent parks are very good, but far too few in number.

The mention of Mel Gibson would send me scurrying in opposite direction.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
The mention of Mel Gibson would send me scurrying in opposite direction.

Snap!
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Gee D I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your decadence, and will do so annually for years to come.

About the cross - Blerk. Did I read that correctly, that one of the promoters was a landscape photographer??? So why can't he just enjoy the uniqueness of this corner of creation? And, I totally agree about Mel Gibson, double blerk.

Huia- iconoclast

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another Blerk (that's quite a mess we're making – let's send it to Mel Gibson).
quote:
"Seventy per cent of people who come to the Territory want an authentic experience of meeting with and understanding Aboriginal culture and only 3 per cent actually get that."

So we build a gigantic illuminated cross ??????

You can have your Mel Gibson – we have dear Sam Neill, currently voice-over for 'Wild New Zealand'.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Sam Neill also stars in two of my favourite NZ films - Sleeping Dogs and The Hunt for the Wilderpeople - though I'm not sure I'd agree with his opinion on other matters. Frustratingly I can't remember the issue.

Today is World Wetlands Day and I'm off to a celebration of the Christchurch Estuary.

Monday is Waitangi Day. I've just discovered Wikipedia states that the Treaty was only signed by some North Island Chiefs, whereas it was also signed by some South Island chiefs too.

I'm not impressed!

Huia - proud citizen of Te Wai Pounamu.(the South Island of NZ)

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Julia Zemiro's Home Delivery did a very good interview with Sam Neil.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Overcast weather,a relief it is cooler. Off to the farmers' market to buy heirloom tomatoes for Caprese salad, planning to spend the afternoon picnicking under oak trees while listening to jazz. Unless it rains.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sam Neill also stars in two of my favourite NZ films - Sleeping Dogs and The Hunt for the Wilderpeople - though I'm not sure I'd agree with his opinion on other matters. Frustratingly I can't remember the issue.

Today is World Wetlands Day and I'm off to a celebration of the Christchurch Estuary.

Monday is Waitangi Day. I've just discovered Wikipedia states that the Treaty was only signed by some North Island Chiefs, whereas it was also signed by some South Island chiefs too.

I'm not impressed!

Huia - proud citizen of Te Wai Pounamu.(the South Island of NZ)

I too have a feeling Sam N once voiced an opinion I didn't go along with. But he comes across as a nice guy and a genuine New Zealander.

I'd have to look it up and it's after my bedtime, but I'm sure I remember reading of the Treaty being brought south and signed by some chiefs around Banks Peninsula.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Family dinners can be interesting around here. Off we went to Cow Pat Pastures, taking homegrown plums, an old sideboard and an unwanted screen door (Son-in-Law is building a greenhouse). I packed a homemade mermaid costume for Miss 4 and a Minecraft sticker book for Master 5.We returned with eggs from their chickens, duck poo juice for the garden, a bale of cornstalk hay from their veggie garden and an enormous slice of cherry/chocolate cake.

A good exchange.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Overcast weather,a relief it is cooler. Off to the farmers' market to buy heirloom tomatoes for Caprese salad, planning to spend the afternoon picnicking under oak trees while listening to jazz. Unless it rains.

Given your recent weather, I'd imagine that you'd prefer some good solid rain. I know that we would.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

So very true, GeeD. Showers were forecast but didn't arrive and the heat was stifling.

Although February and March are often described as the hottest months of summer, already we have March lilies (nerines) coming up and plectranthus in flower, autumn red foliage. The dawns are dewy and misty, and evenings are wonderfully cool. Nights without mosquitos!

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Onuku was the signing place in Akaroa. A group from our church went there last Waitangi Day. It was also signed On Ruapuke Island (near Stewart Island), near the entrance to Otago Harbour, Cloudy Bay and Rangitoto Island off Marlborough.

I knew about the Akaroa and Marlborough signings, but didn't realise it had been taken as far south as Stewart Island*

* (For overseas people) Stewart Island, Rakiura, is the third main island making up NZ. It's to the south of the South Island. If you ever get a chance to go there - take it. The bird life and the bush are stunning, although crossing Foveaux Strait can be a bit choppy.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

10:15 pm here. I am about to head for bed and it is still over thirty degrees. 32.5° C actually. So over this.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Cloudy Bay ...

... where The Best Wine On The Planet™ comes from. [Smile]

**sigh**

eta: Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc used to be imported to Northern Ireland in limited quantities, and one Christmas we heard a rumour that a particular wine shop had some. D. drove 20 miles each way to buy some to give as Christmas presents* (and keep one for ourselves for Christmas lunch, obviously) and, on finding that they were rationing it to three bottles per sale, went back later that week to get some more.

* to people we really liked. [Big Grin]

[ 05. February 2017, 15:32: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It's a bit wasted on me Piglet, but I know it's won quite a few medals.

I went out to water the garden early this morning, feeling virtuous because that is what the City Council recommends, when I realized that today was an even date and my house number is an odd number [Disappointed] . I salved my conscience with the knowledge that I had not watered at all in the last 5 days.

Loth, I don't know how you bear it. We have 31c forecast for today and that is way beyond my comfort zone. I may even have to test out the cooling settling on the heat pump.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Onuku was the signing place in Akaroa. A group from our church went there last Waitangi Day. It was also signed On Ruapuke Island (near Stewart Island), near the entrance to Otago Harbour, Cloudy Bay and Rangitoto Island off Marlborough.

Huia

Sheila Natusch wrote Brother Wohlers: A Biography of J. F. H. Wohlers of Ruapake. which I must have read many decades ago. I remembered it as 'Pastor Wohlers of Ruapuke' which here appears as the title of an article in 'Te Ao Hou'. Among several references in an online bibliography is an article in Te Ao Hou in 1968 titled 'Pastor Wohlers: A Tohunga by Adoption' which I'd love to see.
Curiously the bibliography of NZ Christian publications appears on a website on which everything else is in Russian.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ah, some relief ... a pleasant few days in Melbourne, though predictably the weather was no better than NZ. Then I leapt in the rental car and drove up the Newell to Brisbane and beyond. Just touched 38C in the north of Victoria near Strathmerton, but mainly around 35. Tricky to sleep in the car, as the overnight temperature stayed above 30 until well after midnight, when a storm near Coonabarabran lowered things down to about 25 and I grabbed a couple of hours.

And here I am, happily ensconsed chez Draught, where I am going to be quietly working on a book for a few days, surrounded by warmth, sub-tropical vegetation and birdlife, fermented fruits of the earth, and the wonders of friendship.

Life's tough. [Cool]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
[QB
And here I am, happily ensconsed chez Draught, where I am going to be quietly working on a book for a few days, surrounded by warmth, sub-tropical vegetation and birdlife, fermented fruits of the earth, and the wonders of friendship.

Life's tough. [Cool] [/QB]

Tough indeed, Zappa. Sounds heavenly. Especially the friendship bit.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have washed sheets and hung them out. Dry in about ten minutes I think. Well, no more than half an hour.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Have a good break/write Zappa. Say Hi to FD from me.

[ 05. February 2017, 22:35: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks for mentioning your sheets Loth, it reminded me that I have been promising myself I would wash my fluffy woollen mattress topper when the right day came, it's now on the line.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Anything like here, Huia, it won't take long to dry. It is not as appalling as yesterday was, but it is still hot and inside is now beginning to heat with the long run of hot days.

When I was looking to buy, a non negotiable criterion was no westerly facing windows. My previous house had western facing windows onto main bedroom and also living room downstairs. I was not having that.

[ 06. February 2017, 01:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016