homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Have a good break/write Zappa. Say Hi to FD from me.

Done! Greetings returned, with interest.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy travels Zappa.

Been a busy week for all here in the antipodes.

A weekend spent back north, giving the eldest and youngest nieces their birthday presents. Took all 3 to the park and out for milkshakes. Very nice, but I forgot how humid February can be. The parents' dog wanted a walk but I wasn't going out in 35+ temps and 60% humidity, sorry doggy.

Some rain down here today...but unusually humid now.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to see the PM and Opposition Leader behaving kindly and generously to one another today in parliament.
[Roll Eyes]

I despair. And hate when parliament is on as NewsRadio broadcasts it rather than the BBC into the night... Yes: first world problems I know.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Good to see the PM and Opposition Leader behaving kindly and generously to one another today in parliament.
[Roll Eyes]

I despair. And hate when parliament is on as NewsRadio broadcasts it rather than the BBC into the night... Yes: first world problems I know.

Yup. Pathetic politicians. Sigh.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am stuck inside till son can get here and fix my door closure. I returned from taking rubbish downstairs yesterday afternoon and heavy front door, fire door rated, slammed shut as I manoeuvred things inside.

Went to open it this morning to let breeze through before three more stinking hot days. Door will open about a third of the way and no more. I think something inside the closing mechanism shifted when door slammed. No way can I reach it at all. Son is skinny but he will have trouble wriggling through.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crikey, Loth - that doesn't sound good. Hope you have good air-con, and that you can get the door mended ASAP.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Piglet. Son told me how to lift mechanism and I can now open and close door. Fire doors at front of apartment are common property, not my personal area, so rang strata management and visit from repair will be scheduled. Eldest son thinks door hinges need attention as he thinks they are loose and pulling door crooked, thus mechanism is out of alignment. I have let strata manager know it is probably a rehang the door exercise, not just five minutes with a screwdriver tightening things.

Thankful I was inside, not stuck on outside and unable to open door.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

And the news on child abuse is offered by Radio National. Another cause for despair.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep, no good news anywhere it seems. Even listening to the Press Club yesterday was depressing as figures were rolled out showing how far Australia had slipped in the global gender equality ratings over the last 12 months. Dropped ten places - and now ranked 46th in the world for equal pay. As the mother of four working daughters I am dismayed by those figures.

So much seems to be going in the wrong direction. I must be getting old! The good news is that I WILL be going in the right direction tomorrow - heading down the coast where it will be a blessed 20 degrees cooler than blistering Canberra. Two days of 40 degree temps is the forcast in this neck of the woods. They really should cancel school. That is dangerous heat.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Enjoy the coast, BL.

It reached 43° C here this afternoon and more elsewhere. Even up Gee D's way it was 44 early afternoon.

I went to High School in that area and hated the broad brimmed Panama hat which was part of summer uniform.

I looked down this afternoon when it was 43, to see two girls from local High School walking along in the sun after school. Each had an exercise book opened and on the head for some protection. Suddenly the memory of the panama made more sense.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many of the Primary schools here have uniforms that include a broad brimmed hat. Children at the school where I volunteer are not allowed out to play unless they are wearing them. I always wear one during the summer months too, even though I look a bit like a mushroom.

Huia

[ 10. February 2017, 05:46: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Primary schools are like that here, it often falls apart in public high schools.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that wearing hats outdoors at schools has become almost universal.

We used wear boaters and they are still part of the uniform. While we were allowed to remain in sports uniform after mid-week practices rather than change to go home, we still had to wear the boater and blazer. Not so long ago, Madame and I were at a local restaurant for an earlyish dinner. Some young fellows walked past wearing wet board shorts with their boaters and blazers - no shirt of any kind.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I used to see boys going to rowing practice from school well down the line fromyou, rhymes with more. Early morning practice with tracksuits, blazers and boaters. I was on 6:15 or thereabouts at Killara.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That school and mine are the only 2 retaining boaters.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've spent the last week at the annual conference of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society. Several sessions were about heat waves past present and future, which was appropriate as it was 40 deg in the shade here on Friday. The invited lecture on the subject was by a young scientist from Sydney who must be feeling the heat even more than the rest of us, as she is 6 months pregnant and thus has built-in central heating.

For what it's worth, the good news is that heat waves are not getting much hotter (in terms of maximum temperatures). The bad news is that they are getting more frequent and occurring over a longer season (i.e. beginning earlier in the summer and finishing later in the summer).

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Tukai, I keep reminding myself of heatwaves in January which we spent at the beach. Sometimes we did not get to swim as the walk down was so hot and the sand on beach burned through soles of shoes.

However this run of hot weather has made me long for cooler seasons. I am over it, just over it.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While you can keep your 30°-plus temperatures (40°-plus? Don't even go there!), a few more degrees wouldn't hurt here.

We got well over a foot of snow last night, and the current temperature is -18°, but feeling more like -22, and that's a bit parky even for me.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

41.5 here now Piglet, and we are getting close to the hottest part of the day which here is between 3 and 4:30 pm.

Southerly expected "in the evening," which is somewhat elastic as a time frame.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While our temperatures are not (thank God) as high as those Australia is experiencing, they have been sufficiently raised to make me sick. I have high blood pressure which is well controlled by medication. Unfortunately hot weather lowers the B.P which means the combined effect has led to nausea, headaches and difficulty with thinking straight and with balance.

It should be fixed by halving the meds (according to the Doctor) but it was horrible to start with, because I knew I was confused but couldn't sort out why or what to do about it. Really scary when you live alone.

I have just Googled the 'America First, NZ Second' video and it's a hoot.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Not good, Huia but at least you know the principle. Now for the fine tuning.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

All the best Huia. The heat here would have sent it plummeting. 44.1 here. I love living alone, but like you am concerned about sudden ill health. I hope you get the dose sorted out and also pick the best time to up it when it gets cooler.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I stood on the esplanade as a stiff sea breeze came inshore with the tide this morning. It was heavenly. Now back in baking Canberra where there is an evil red cast to the sky that has nothing to do with sunsets. The last time I saw it look like that was in 2003 when 500 homes burnt down on the outskirts of town. All across NSW the authorities are steeling themselves for a bad fire day tomorrow. Please God it will not be as bad as feared.

However on the drive back as the thermometer steadily climbed I passed a nasty accident that made me count my blessings. I cannot imagine anyone survived as the car was a pancake. You know it is bad when one police car, two ambulances and three fire rescue trucks pass you.

I will not moan about it being too hot - there are always far worse things than that.

Huia, have you tried cucumber peel on your wrists to bring down your core body temp? An old country trick that some ladies were telling me today really works.

[ 11. February 2017, 08:23: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

We used to fight over the cucumber peel when we were young.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have been at a wedding in Cessnock today, where there is a temperature readout on the covered outdoor bowling green at the venue. It maxed out at 46degC. Even the air-conditioning in the bowling club could not cope, being supplemented by large pedestal fans. And more of the same expected tomorrow.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Well, apparently the crash victims did survive. I hope everyone recovers, but the pic of the car shows it a miraculous thing.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Sickening BL. Three critical unsurprisingly. [Votive]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Crikey - that crash does look bad.

[Votive] for all involved.

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Well, apparently the crash victims did survive. I hope everyone recovers, but the pic of the car shows it a miraculous thing.

A dreadful road. Should be named Kings Goat Track

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope all NSW and ACT shipmates are keeping safe today. I'm skipping the Aussie summer heat this week having a holiday in Rotorua, but the weather and fire news from home sounds ominous. Praying all my Dad's relatives are ok in western district of NSW. My great uncle there is 94 so hope he's coping with the heat.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woken at 4am by heat and mosquitos, so got up at 5am covered in itchy lumps. I have found that placing a small bowl of malt vinegar on the windowsill helps keep most mosquitos away but it didn't work last night.

Ready to try cucumber peels on my wrists though!

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

40C yesterday, 22 when I woke up and 19 now. It felt rather cool when I went out for a walk.

Enjoy Rotorua Mili.

Sorry to hear of the pestilent insects MaryLouise.

That accident looked horrific BL!

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Oh, and hope cool weather comes your way Huia for your BP.
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The southerly's arrived, and it's a proper old-fashioned "buster". Temperature has dropped from 45 to 28 and still going down. Doors and windows opened to let the fresh air flush through the house. What a relief!
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes, it is 25 degrees cooler here than yesterday. A blessed relief - and I am now wearing a cardigan!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Enjoy Rotorua Mili. I lived there for 7 years, about 30 years ago, and passing through on the bus last year barely recognised it. I remember cool evening with the wind coming off the Lake.

I used to enjoy sitting in one of the hot pools down by the edge of the Lake after work, but that's an activity better suited to winter.

The temperature reached 27c today, but now it's 15c, with a note that it feels like 11. It's delightful.

I will go to be with the security screen doors locked and the inner door open so I catch all the breeze [Axe murder]

I think I've sorted the meds [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Woken at 4am by heat and mosquitos, so got up at 5am covered in itchy lumps. I have found that placing a small bowl of malt vinegar on the windowsill helps keep most mosquitos away but it didn't work last night.

Ready to try cucumber peels on my wrists though!

I was bitten last night on fingers and back of hand. I find the lavender oil diluted with water works well on the itchiness and even acts as mosquito repellent. Unfortunately there was a bite on eyelid near eye, not really suitable for the oil.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
The southerly's arrived, and it's a proper old-fashioned "buster". Temperature has dropped from 45 to 28 and still going down. Doors and windows opened to let the fresh air flush through the house. What a relief!

Lovely, isn't it?

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another year, another street barbecue, everyone here except a mum with a sick child. Weather no good so I'd run the car forward so the barbecue could go under the carport, and tidied the living room so that some sturdy men could shove the furniture around.
All I have to do is provide the place; everyone looks forward to it and everyone looks after me.
How lucky I am to be surrounded by great neighbours.
If only other neighbourhoods could be as friendly

GG.

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good neighbours are a blessing. There are a lot of apartments here, just over sixty, originally built as serviced apartments. Quiet,pleasant gardens etc.

I know quite a few people but not all of them by name. I have found them easy to speak to and helpful. Since I hurt my hip I have discovered how helpful many are. It is recivering but I still use a cane and take my rubbish downstairs, balanced on the frame I used to use. Many times I don't get that far, someone takes it for me. I would prefer to take it myself as part of exercise but they insist.

There is one young fellow who has been here about as long as I have, six years next month. Right from the beginning he has told me to call on him if ever needed. He works shift work at very odd hours but when I said I did not want to disturb him, he told me to just knock loudlyand not be worried

Then the other day I shared the lift with a delightful little girl and her mum. She was walking, about fifteen months old. She smiled and laughed and when they got out, needed no prompting to blow me lots of kisses and waved. Made my day

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall have to have an easy day. With the Cuzzies' Lunch on Saturday and the barbecue yesterday I've hardly read more than the front page* of Saturday's paper. And I must start on today's over breakfast. Two of my favourite columnists write in Monday's DomPost.

Lothlorien, I'm glad that you too have people to look after you. With church, neighbours and family I feel so safe.

GG

*Slight exaggeration. But two little voices in my head are saying 'Don't even look at that puzzle' and 'But it looks quite doable!"

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Not good news for some places in our state.

42 degrees celsius was horrid - the water in our tanks was steaming - so I can't imagine 49. Hope the cool change has reached most parts by now.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
49?!?!?! Holy Mother of God, I can't even imagine.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our pool gets to just over 34C. Quickly jump in and out and hope there is a breeze to cool yourself off.
Some cloud today. We are hoping for the predicted rain.
The 2.5 metre python that often suns itself round our pool is also taking some dips in our pool today.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in Arizona we reached 50 (122F) in June 1990. It is definitely not pleasant. Luckily everything here is air conditioned, so it was just a matter of getting from the office to the car, the car to the house, etc.

The airport was closed because they didn't know how the extreme heat would affect landing and take-offs -- and because the baggage handlers could not be expected to load and unload planes on the black tarmac.

The only good thing about it was that here was virtually no humidity. Talk about a "dry heat"!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Yeah, it's been reasonably warm. I'm currently in coastal/hinterland Queensland where the ocean has modified the heat somewhat - 33C at the moment but because of the 40% humidity a "feels like" of 36. Inland OZ has been a wee bit warmer.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tried Lothlorien's suggestion of lavender oil last night on my calves and it helped to keep mosquitos away and soothe bites from the previous night -- many thanks.

Huia I hope the cooler weather and adjusted meds continue to help with BP

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I assume that being in Cape Town you get the equivalent of our southerly busters - very strong southerly winds that drop the temperature dramatically in a haf hour, cause havoc on the Harbour and so forth, but not necessarily rain.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Gosh...can't imagine 50C Pigwidgeon.

Hurrah for soothing suggestions MaryLouise. And hurrah from heat relief. Still shocked as per BL's link of that town, village, wiped off the map.

Some help from the wordly and literate people here, please.

I shall soon be off to drown my sorrows with the fact I turn the big 4-0 [just completed a survey today and realised I'm not long for the 30-39 category [Biased] ] and I'm headed first to the US to visit my best friend and his family. They have 3 daughters, 4, 2 and just born.

I was thinking of taking some Mem Fox or other suitably Oztralian books for the 4 and 2 year old, and possibly a stuffed toy [koala, etc.] for the one just born. Thoughts? Thoughts on books? I'm going through what my nieces liked, but any suggestions appreciated. And I'm wondering if I get a stuffed toy for the youngest, if the books will be seen as a very poor subsitute by Misses 2 and 4 and they'd prefer a stuffed toy too. Thanks.

[ 13. February 2017, 06:03: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Jackie French's Diary of a Wombat and its sequel have proved popular many times as gifts for overseas children from me.

The toys are cute, but far too often have tags attached which say "made in China," or similar. Her writing is marvellous.

ETA. Often available, evein in local Coles, although I would prefer a local bookshop.

[ 13. February 2017, 06:25: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016