homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ian, I did not realise I had known you for that long. A privilege.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

I shall soon be off to drown my sorrows with the fact I turn the big 4-0 [just completed a survey today and realised I'm not long for the 30-39 category [Biased] ]

Lucky you, Ian! Some of us vaguely remember 40 [Frown]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Tried Lothlorien's suggestion of lavender oil last night on my calves and it helped to keep mosquitos away and soothe bites from the previous night -- many thanks.

Huia I hope the cooler weather and adjusted meds continue to help with BP

Glad it helped, MaryLouise. I always have some inthe house as it is useful in a variety of ways.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My absolute favourite Mem Fox book is Wombat Divine , but I once bought a nativity story for non-Christian parents who thought I was trying to convert their son [Roll Eyes] so I am now a bit more careful.

I looked at Mem's website and discovered Ducks Away which I thought might appeal to the 2 years old ( as with most books at this age level the whole family will probably learn it off by heart). I've also always liked Possum Magic and, from what I remember it depicts a diverse range of animals and would probably appeal to the 4 year old. For the baby possibly The Little Fingers and ten Little Toes because it could be read with finger and toe play.

Ok, my bias is showing here - I don't think children (babies included) are ever to young to be read to, besides books pack much more easily. I don't know whether price is a factor for you, but getting quality soft toys that would last may be expensive.

If either of the parents have experienced depression you could buy them my absolute favourite Australian book - The Red Tree by Shaun Tan. It's a picture book too, but it has one of the best depictions of depression of any book I have ever read. It is stunning, and it ends with hope.

Sorry Ian [Hot and Hormonal] I'm passionate about picture books and I get a bit carried away. There are so many good Australian picture books.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't apologise. Appreciate, and love, your enthusiasm. I too love books but just wondered about one so young. Books would be much easier to take!

Thanks Huia and Lothlorien for the suggestions. Much appreciated. And I may get The Red Tree for myself [thanks]; the parents already told me to bring chocolate for them -- they say they miss the taste of Australian chocolate.

And a joy and privilege to have known you for as long as I have too Lothlorien.

[ 13. February 2017, 07:27: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By the way there is a large fire burning in Christchurch, mainly in farmland but there are houses involved. In case anyone sees a news bulletin and wonders, it is nowhere near me, but I'm praying for those who will have to spend the night in the local primary school.(using the votive seems a bit insensitive).

Huia

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I shall soon be off to drown my sorrows with the fact I turn the big 4-0 [just completed a survey today and realised I'm not long for the 30-39 category [Biased] ] and I'm headed first to the US to visit my best friend and his family. They have 3 daughters, 4, 2 and just born.

Surveys whose age band is 45-54 get an accurate response from me. If they have 50-59, then not so much.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Thanks Huia and Lothlorien for the suggestions. Much appreciated. And I may get The Red Tree for myself [thanks]; the parents already told me to bring chocolate for them -- they say they miss the taste of Australian chocolate.

If you have not got the Red Tree then you really should! I will second everything Huia said plus suggest it might be a useful way to explore the different forms depression takes.

If you are concerned about refugees then look at his book the Arrival. Not sure if that takes you to the book or just to all his books and you need to select it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I was thinking of The Arrival too Jengie, but I couldn't see how to work it in. I am quite evangelistic when it comes to my favourite authors [Biased]

And of course (ironic that this one slipped my mind) there's Wilfred, Gordon, Mcdonald Partridge

They may be easier to pack, but if you took all the ones I could suggest your baggage would be overweight and you wouldn't have room for a spare pair of socks. [Big Grin]

And for your birthday Ian there's also an Australian song, Life begins at Forty written and sung by Judy Small.

"Life begins at forty/ til then you're simply learning how/ the Overture is over/the symphony starts now..." it's probably on the net somewhere.

In other news ... I think my Doctor and I have finally sorted things. In addition to the low blood pressure I had low blood sugar due to the timing of some meds. So a simple switch should fix that [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news Huia!
[Yipee]

Thanks Jengie jon and Huia...more books for my collection.

Woke up at 3:15 for some reason. Worse, got on the computer and started work. I'll be frightened to recheck what I actually did when I get in to work. [Smile]

Off to Bathurst this afternoon for the rest of the week for work. Looking forward to it, catching up with people and meeting new people. Should be fun.

[ 14. February 2017, 16:49: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The fires around Christchurch and in Hawkes Bay look every bit as scary as any from overseas. One house destroyed and one helicopter pilot killed, and miles of flames and black earth.

Take a book for the littlest. People read to their babies almost from birth and are amazed at the way the wee ones focus on the pictures and want the experience go on.

Makes you all the sadder to learn that there are children who arrive at school not knowing that you hold a book this way up and turn the pages likes this.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Studies have shown that babies learn three things in utero...taste (if mum likes garlic, so will bub!)...I've often wondered if that explains why all mine love chocolate! Music - babies will respond positively to favourite pieces. One doctor I know used to put headphones on his wife's belly and play lullabies at the same time every night before the baby was born. (Talk about conditioning.) And the cadence of certain voices - especially voices that read aloud.

So yes, don't be afraid to grab a baby book for the littlest one. There are also some fab board books out there these days. Always popular while junior learns the art of turning a page.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Studies have shown that babies learn three things in utero...taste (if mum likes garlic, so will bub!)...

My mother and I had very different taste in food (I was also breastfed, which I would think would reinforce similar tastes.) My mother was so fond of onions that I used to tell her she'd put them in chocolate cake if she thought she could get away with it -- and I can't stand the smell or taste of them.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe I should have stated babies have been shown to react to certain foods in utero...pigwidgeon was obviously the one reacting very badly to the things being sent down the tube...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia and Gallopping Grannny, thank you both for your news on the fires. How tragic that someone carrying out fire-fighting duite has died. But good Huia that you're safe.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From a quick Google of "Christchurch fires":
Four more homes destroyed, hundreds evacuated as Christchurch Port Hills fire rages out of control.
Hundreds of Christchurch residents have been evacuated from their homes this afternoon, as the battle against the Port Hills fires continued ...

There are also electricity outages as pylons have been in the path of the fire.

[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Electricity supply on this side of town is fragile, but we are grateful that the lines company Orion put in extra lines after the quakes, which may make a difference. I feel for all the people most directly affected as this area was very close to the epicentre of the Feb 2011 quake and many of the homes have only been fixed in the last year.

I got to the shops just as the power went off, but fortunately it came back on just as I caught the bus going towards home so I shopped in another centre.

Huia - heading off to bed with a torch ... again.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just seen this and your posts on the Prayers thread. Are you still safe?

The partner of a friend had a house on the northern slope of the hill with a tunnel in it to the port just south (does that make sense?) which was lost in the second quake. Is that the area you're calling the Port Hills?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yes. The hills around the Port are the remnants of an extinct volcano. I think I've got my directions right by saying an area to the South of the actual Port has been evacuated - Governor's Bay is one of the areas that has been specifically mentioned. I'm a bit vague as to other suburbs but The Sign of the Kiwi and Westmorland have been mentioned on the news.

I'm on the flat, about 5 kms from the tunnel you mention. Mostly the winds here are NW or East to North Easterly. The wind would have to be coming from the south east for me to be threatened. I suppose something catastrophically different could happen, but I don't think it's likely.

Having just read the "Stuff" news site it appears the fires might now been contained - I hope so.

I know for some people this will have brought back memories of the quakes with sirens, helicopters, evacuations and uncertainty, and my heart goes out to them. On the other hand as most of the rest of Christchurch has been unaffected ( except by smoke and worry about friends) many people are reaching out with offers of accommodation, food etc through facebook and other social media.

Huia

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] For all those in and around fires!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That's good news Huia, particularly about the prevailing winds. A strong southerly would be something else though.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Poor Christchurch.
[Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There's an article on Christchurch fire in SMH this morning. [Votive]

Totally unrelated to above, I think I need to go back to bed and start the day again.

I had to edit a post on British thread this morning to actually post some content, not a blank page.

I went to wash up breakfast plate and pan. Not a job I like especially after having used dishwashers for decades.

I plunged my hands into soapy water to find it was totally cold. No fault of the system, I had run cold water into sink.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a great advocate of going back to bed and starting all over again - but I do like a gap of an hour or two to rest my eyes as I deal with the trauma.

[Cool]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I like it when I can con Georgie into joining me back in bed - better than a soft toy, apart from the sharp bits at the end of her paws.

Day 4 of the fire, (it didn't really hit my radar until yesterday when the two fires merged and.
light levels changed) and it is expected to go on for several more days. I think the army has been called in. Firefighters must be exhausted.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firefighters do a tremendous job. Stay safe, Huia.

I've had days that began like that, Lothlorien and WW. An hour back in bed with a pillow or two over the head sometimes works wonders.

Nervously watching the progress of Cyclone Dineo hitting landfall in Inhambane, Mozambique. I have friend setting off on a cruise to the Portuguese Islands and friends working on the Mozambique coast.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hoping you stay safe, Huia. [Votive]

[ 16. February 2017, 07:29: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praying for Christchurch. I'm back home in Australia now and only holidayed on the North Island so didn't visit Christchurch. I have a friend there, but I contacted her this morning and she is not in a danger area. Praying for everyone, especially those who have lost houses and for the family of the helicopter pilot. Keep safe Huia.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Cyclone sounds alarming, ML. But cruise liners have very advanced weather equipment on them these days so they can avoid nasty weather systems. My daughter went on a pacific island cruise last summer and there were two cyclones brewing. We were a bit worried, but she reported back that the captain simply steered between them and other than it being too windy to be on deck much, did not affect them.

Much harder to be stuck somewhere on the coast. If they are not near a river mouth they may be okay.

Glad Georgie Porgy is doing a good job as a comfort cat, Huia!

[ 16. February 2017, 19:56: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I saw a reasonable length clip of the fires Huia, on news last night. Hope they are being brought under control now.

One thing the RFS stresses down here is how quickly fires can move and warns about complacency. The terrain there was quite different to areas of fires last week.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Poor Christchurch.
[Votive]

That's about right - if it isn't one thing, it seems to be another.

[Votive] for Huia, Georgie-Porgy and all affected.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I had some hopes after I was caught in the rain today, but the spokes person for the firefighters said it was like "spitting on a barbecue" [Frown]

The weather is making it more difficult for the fire fighters because they cant get heavy machinery in to dig out hotspots and visibility is limited. The air seems a bit cleaner though.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There has been a huge storm threateninghere for all afternoon. Now here and much more than spitting on a BBQ.

Far too dark to read without a light on.

Son has been in Brisbane at a work conference since last weekend. He was on board at Brisbane but they have been disembarked as Sydney airport has been closed. I think he will get home tonight but it could be sometime before it reopens. Another message that they have been told two hours delay.

He has just had his flight cancelled but no other news yet. Storm is passing, but there could be another rolling in behind it.

He took a photo from cab of an ugly squat red brick building. Sign says, "Salvador Deli. Mediterranean beach food." No sign of melting clocks.

[ 17. February 2017, 04:26: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Cyclone sounds alarming, ML. But cruise liners have very advanced weather equipment on them these days so they can avoid nasty weather systems. My daughter went on a pacific island cruise last summer and there were two cyclones brewing. We were a bit worried, but she reported back that the captain simply steered between them and other than it being too windy to be on deck much, did not affect them.

Much harder to be stuck somewhere on the coast. If they are not near a river mouth they may be okay.

That makes sense, Banner Lady. The destruction onshore in Mozambique was bad though: seven dead and 20 000 homes destroyed. So little infrastructure or emergency support. But Cyclone Dineo seems to be ebbing to the status of a tropical storm as it moves across Limpopo Province in South Africa.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Fires here again. It's good to see that the Christchurch fires have been halted and it's now time to go in and start clearing up, always a sad task.

The end of a very difficult week for me with next week not looking any better. A case which should have taken no more than 4 days looks as though it will take the full fortnight allocated to it. A pleasant dinner ahead though. I'll get off the train a few stations early and meet Madame at a favourite restaurant.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Another extremely humid February day, and Sydney has forecast of a repeat performance of yesterday's storm. Son has been rebooked on a flight this afternoon, but earlier than yesterday, so hopefully he gets back today. Even if he had reached Sydney yesterday, he would still have had problems in trains.. Trees on lines and power outages meant no trains from Gosford almost to Newcastle. South of Gosford had very intermittent services. He is just a couple of stations south of that station.

I thought the storm was violent. One of the worst hit areas is just up the road opposite a couple of minutes.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Friends in Waitara messaged me a photo of the hailstones...they were rather large. Hope your son got home safely, Lothlorien.

Terible weather around the world, from cyclones in Mozambique to those fires near Christchurch and Queanbeyan, and fires near Gee D again. [Votive]

Hope next week goes well for you Gee D.

Back from Bathurst. Had a grand old time at work, meeting people I've only spoken to on the phone, discussing and making steps to resolve issues, etc. And driving around Mt Panorama racetrack in my work-supplied Corolla! Bathurst is a delightful town. Also managed to get the books for my friends' children from a bookstore -- thanks again for the recommendations: they had them all in stock.

[ 18. February 2017, 20:22: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

That is wonderful Ian - and belated birthday wishes. TP and I will celebrate by attending Evensong where MM and his renowned choir are raising their voices in all sorts of delightful ways. A special treat.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you Ian. Son is probably still in bed. Not an early riser. Trip home was slow. Usually 90 minutes from Central. A stop at Beecroft, a lengthy stop at Hornsby where train changed from a through to WoyWoy to all stations to Gosford. Signal failure up the line added to time and it was still raining from storm yesterday. His boss rang himfromGosford to see if son had returned fromQld and offered to pick him up and drive him home from Gosford. That was good. He is not far from the station, but it is up a very steep hill inthe dark and rain and absolutely no shelter.

Gee D, hope you suffered no damage from yesterday's storm. My brother was out and returned home to a white lawn which he thought was murraya flowers. Huge hailstones. Later he and neighbours heard a very large cracking tree out the front. All searched but could not find signs of damage although they looked up and down street. Both sides.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were on the edge of the real action yesterday. Friends more up GeeD's way have pockmarked cars, some even smashed windscreens, and cracked skylights.

Played in the worship band at a wedding last night. Service at 7, supper in church hall afterwards for a multitude - it was lovely.

Family brunch today celebrating Middle turning 17 during the week, then leading the service tonight, where the input will be three interviews /testimonies on faith and work. Those with long memories will appreciate that BlackAxe will be one of the guests.

Never a dull etc.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you Ian for your thoughts for this coming week - those fires are near my cousin and Vulpior, not me in suburban Sydney - and Lothlorien and Mr Curly about the storm. No damage I'm glad to say, cars in under cover and no branches down. It was the heaviest hail we've seen in years, large rather than enormous stones, but so many of them. The street's covered with leaves.

[ 18. February 2017, 23:05: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Black Axe?her family must be growing up. The last meet I remember was quite a long time ago.

[ 19. February 2017, 04:25: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Both Friday's and Saturday's storms were fierce in the Valley. Trees down and property damage on Friday, the wind so strong that the rain blew in under our front verandah, which was at right angles to the prevailing blast and saturated the front door.
I was at a conference in Sydney on Saturday and had left the car parked on the street near Lindfield Station. By some miracle, no hail damage, and we managed to avoid the worst of the storms as we made our way slowly north along the M1. Arrived home to find Mrs BA had pulled something in her back clearing drains which the cleanup crew had left blocked with fire debris. Luckily only pea hail, so no damage at home either.

[ 20. February 2017, 00:10: Message edited by: Barnabas Aus ]

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

This time last week we were baking in 39-42 degree temperatures. Today I seriously thought about putting the fire on in the lounge room. It was 5 degrees when I woke up and it snowed overnight at Perisher Valley south of here.
Go figure. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

That valley sounds as though it has an apt name, Was it based on the experiences of early settlers?

We has 25c forecast today, but it only reached 20c. I hope something similar happens tomorrow when 30c is forecast.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Apparently Wellington made 27° today. I'd say 'I can't believe it' but I can.
I came home from tai chi (only managed 20 minutes, between the sciatic pain and the balance) and survived by opening doors on both sides of the house. Yes it did help, though there wasn't an actual breeze.

GG

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
That valley sounds as though it has an apt name, Was it based on the experiences of early settlers?

We has 25c forecast today, but it only reached 20c. I hope something similar happens tomorrow when 30c is forecast.

Huia

No reliable source for the name, except that it's below Mt Perisher - for which there's no reliable source either, of course. The valley base is at about 1700 - 1750 m, not much by the standards of much of the world, but plenty high enough to give a cold climate.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Tomorrow is the sixth anniversary of the earthquake that killed 185 people in Christchurch. There will be a public memorial service and the dedicated memorial will be opened.

I won't be going to the service as I avoid large crowds, but I will visit the memorial when it is less busy.

I treat February as a day for reflection, thinking of the lives lost, but also the tremendous changes to the city and in our lives since then.

In my opinion one of the best additions has been the building of the Margaret Mahy family playground in the city. I have watched children and adults playing there and it is a fitting tribute to one of NZ's best children's authors.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Six years already, Huia? A terrible event. Moved to read about the playground.

Here we have ongoing water shortages as dams shrink away, no sign of rain yet. The dawns and dusks are much cooler though and from March we'll have morning mists with dew for garden plants. Yesterday the winter supply of firewood arrived to be stacked in the garage, so useful for the wood-burning stove and grilling outdoors in fine weather.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to a wonderful funeral today for the Right Reverend John Murray, formerly minister of St Andrews on the Terrace in Wellington. He was known for so many things, and most of them got a mention. We sang lots of lovely hymns by his wife, Shirley Erena Murray (including one written for the funeral, which I suspect will turn up at a lot of ministers' funerals in the future), and after the prayers, Auld Lang Syne, complete with handholding.

There was a very thoughtful reflection from Sir Lloyd Geering, in which he outlined the theological life of an intelligent stirrer. He finished by saying that John was by far the most social justice-oriented minister he had ever known. (And on a complete tangent: Lloyd is about to turn 99, still looks about 80, and appears to be more vigorous than most 60 year olds - is he never going to age?).

I came into John's orbit when I got together with Rosie and started going to St Andrews, where Rosie was an elder. Having been an Anglican for the previous 28 years, John's extensive sermons took some getting used to (the very first one I remember was nearly an hour long). John loved to sing, and as Rosie and I are both singers, we got to hear him enthuse on the subject. He had an extremely theatrical nature, and I was amazed, talking to him on the phone a few weeks ago, that he sounded exactly the same as he had 20 years ago.

It was also a great time for catching up with people I hadn't seen for ages. As the man sitting next to me said, "well, if you have to die, this is a great way to say goodbye." Truly a mighty totara has fallen in the forest.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016