homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the thread for the giving of thanks not just to God but to those people and organizations [and even pets] that have influenced our lives for good whether momentarily or over the longer term.

All that we have comes from God, may we all be faithful in giving thanks.

Piglet, Lothlorien & Welease Woderwick - AS Hosts

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I give thanks for the new year; for all chances of a fresh start; for all good things that spring up, perennially, irrepressibly; for God's great faithfulness, and for His mercies, which are new every morning.

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gratitude for coming through the ordeal of the festive season relatively unscathed. Here's to the ordinariness, opportunities and challenges of 2017!

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 463 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanksgiving for good friends with whom to end the old year and start the new one.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9321 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm beginning the new year with a wonderful new full-time church job, and a new-to-me car that was made this century! Thanks be to God!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7636 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Health to enjoy them both, Churchgeek! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19370 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praise God for C. and S., a Most Odd Couple, who I met up with, after many months, at the Bus Stop this morning. Against all Odds (!), they were still happy, together, and about to set off on a (characteristically) Odd Day Out!

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8784 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on the church and it was very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11097 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As church should be, indeed (though sometimes isn't!).

Laus Deo for all church services over Christmas and New Year, whether well-attended or not. If the Sacraments are faithfully celebrated, the Gospel preached (with words, if necessary), and we poor mortals offer to God the best we have, that's what we need to keep doing.

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 8784 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thank God for a twitter bot, of all things.

Started with me seeing a random post by this bot that takes occassional tweets from people who follow it and makes them into a phrase of tributes to some sort of esoteric thing

quote:
PEDOBAPTISTS FOR THE PEDOBAPTIST GOD
To which I responded cheekily

quote:
So when did twitter bots start doing better systemic theology then most pastors?
The bot responded

quote:
THEOLOGIES FOR THE THEOLOGY LORD! PASTORS FOR THE PASTOR MONSTER
Ignoring the theology on show here for a moment, I'm in awe of how God works through the most inane things sometimes to get me thinking.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5020 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praise to the Lord for all the people (and equipment) in the NHS who did my cataract operation yesterday. Quick and painless, and already I can see much more clearly!
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Yay for all the yay! [Yipee]

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for my friend's mother now being able to cope with the process of clearing going on. This is a major advance.
She is also able to contemplate improvements such as a new improved toilet seat to be bought tomorrow, and getting a plumber and an electrician in to sort various other problems (though not yet).

[ 07. January 2017, 16:14: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Good news, Penny!

And I'm happy to report that my Aged Aunt is very much better...

[Yipee]

IJ

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear that!
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ive been in he church and it does it on Monday about giving beard and wine. And on he other it does doing speaking and Ive been in it.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11097 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I give thanks for passing my test. It was the last stage of a long-drawn-out process, and I am so happy that it is over. [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

A small thing, but thanks are due for my finding the dressmaking scissors. Behind the sewing machine, obscured by the fabric cover of same. Exactly where I left them! I'd moved everything else on the table, and not seen them.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks ( pace the former Miss Beaky) for all the advances in childbirth [Overused] which allow children to be born, AND them and their mothers to survive [Overused]

(thinking of the forceps needed to coax The Intrepid Grandson into the world [Angel] )

Mrs. S, truly grateful

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1355 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thank You, Lord, for helping me to walk safely up the Steep Hill (Very) to church this morning - and back - without having to use my walking-stick.

This is the first time I've ventured out into the Wide World without the stick, since leaving hospital in June last year.... [Yipee]

...and I didn't fall over!

IJ

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A big achievement for you. Well done.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9341 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

One small step...

[Big Grin]

I'll keep the stick pro tem , as I have both good and bad days...it's useful for pointing at things, and for poking people who get in my slightly-disabled way.

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
One small step...

[Big Grin]

I'll keep the stick pro tem , as I have both good and bad days...it's useful for pointing at things, and for poking people who get in my slightly-disabled way.

[Two face]

IJ

A friend of mine continued to use one after he no longer needed it, especially in crowded places, because he said it made people more aware of him and less apt to knock into him.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9321 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That makes very good sense. Glad to hear things are going in the right direction, BF! [Yipee]

Don't go overdoing it now! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 19370 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sticks are also useful tools for "stepping" on the feet of those in the way!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed - and it is true that simply having a stick makes other folk just a tad more careful and considerate (well, sometimes).

IJ

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

For a small thing, revealing, I think, the divine sense of humour, as well as being helpful.

Yesterday, my waste bin, one with several useful compartments, failed - one of the plastic lugs holding the lid on so it would be raised by the pedal pinged off and into the recycling department. I searched online for a replacement, found one available at the nearest mall, went over (instead of gardening), found a much cheaper one which had not shown up on line, went to buy it and found I had to collect it today.

I was expecting to have my friend with me after delivery-at-the-shop time, which would have been helpful, but this turned into having him and his mother with me, which meant I would have to collect it on Friday, after the car had its MOT. All very irritating.

But, praise the Lord, I got an email this morning, and was able to collect it as I stocked up with chicken and veggie mash. A huge box, with, it turned out, another inside. I have sorted out my kitchen with new waste arrangements, and have had to find somewhere to put the two huge boxes and the old bin until tomorrow when I can take them to the dump. (Probably not the boxes - they can do lasagne beds in the veggie patch). The only place where I have time to stow them before going off taxi-ing blocks the access to my study and the utility room (see Hell difficult parents), so very useful, doesn't look like deliberate attempt to keep her out, hooray.

Thank you. All nicely sorted and cheering.

[ 19. January 2017, 11:30: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And also, thanks for the prayers. Last night I woke to a sense of being upheld, and today has gone well so far.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks - heartfelt thanks - for an answer to prayer. A stupid mistake I made yesterday (being in a hurry [Hot and Hormonal] ) could have cost me either quite a lot of money, or a very uncomfortable conversation or six.

But the Lord was kind to me and prayer did the trick, allowing me to recover the situation without anyone finding out [Overused]

Mrs. S, wishing she could invent the turn-back-time machine [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1355 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I went to eat it today and it was very good ! It is in the place with going on !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Praise the Lord, sisters, and pass the something-or-other!

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm here to offer my heartfelt thanks to the Almighty that the former Château Piglet has finally been sold.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that is good news! Whoo hoo! Trump is happy. You are happy. What more could a person want!?!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2309 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well thank goodness for that!! [Yipee]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5381 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Yay! for all the yay!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, that excellent news. A long time coming [Yipee]

If anybody has been following the avalanche in Italy that buried a hotel: 10 people have just been found alive. Still a tragedy, but I'm amazed that anyone got out. A hearty [Overused] [Votive] to the rescuers.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1819 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

That's good news about the house, Piglet! [Smile]

I give thanks for the safe return of family members from overseas.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Glad about the house, Piglet.

And thankful for whatever quirk of evolution suppresses the gag reflex when doing other people's laundry with pockets of used tissues.

(Sorry to lower the tone, but need to pretend nothing going on.)

[ 21. January 2017, 18:59: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Piglet, that excellent news. A long time coming [Yipee]

If anybody has been following the avalanche in Italy that buried a hotel: 10 people have just been found alive. Still a tragedy, but I'm amazed that anyone got out. A hearty [Overused] [Votive] to the rescuers.

Another four survivors found, according to paper this morning.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9341 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am surprised and grateful to report that even though I Marched for about nine hours yesterday I tolerated it perfectly. Didn't sit down for perhaps six of those hours, and we weren't really able to walk at all, only shuffle along in a vast through of people. Never found a restroom (the portapotties were mobbed) and subsisted on a bottle of water and some peanuts, but came through without any pain or injury and we all recruited nature at a BBQ restaurant. With margaritas!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well-deserved, those margaritas! Clearly y'all were being led by, and inspired by, the Spirit...

IJ

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I.ve been this night to the scottish church in london and it was very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, we had an uplifting service at my local church this morning, so let's thank God for such blessings in spite of everything that's wrong and confusing in the world!

IJ

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I am surprised and grateful to report that even though I Marched for about nine hours yesterday I tolerated it perfectly. Didn't sit down for perhaps six of those hours, and we weren't really able to walk at all, only shuffle along in a vast through of people. Never found a restroom (the portapotties were mobbed) and subsisted on a bottle of water and some peanuts, but came through without any pain or injury and we all recruited nature at a BBQ restaurant. With margaritas!

It was rumoured that the portabogs had been locked by malevolent trumpists, but more likely that they were left over from the previous day and were unsavoury by then. But someone came out from a nearby hotel with bolt cutters and removed the padlocks. Our two marchers were extremely grateful.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 862 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In the Post there is an account of the bank of portapotties (did you know the provider around here is a firm called Don's Jouns? They covered over all those logos!) became clogged from overuse. The authorities found a box truck, for privacy, and a supply of paper cups. A wise old protester warned me to simply not drink a great deal.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YaY Piglet - just caught up with your sale :yippee:

Well done on the march Brenda - there was a parallel one in Auckland (NZ's largest city).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10013 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks for a silly gift from the blue this morning (sort of). I went into Oxfam to scout for a small bedside table thing to fill the gap left by two wedge cushions given to D so she can be more upright in bed, and spotted, for £4.99, a gorgeous purple jacket with applique flowers which exactly matched the trousers I was wearing (just the next ones out of the wardrobe, not me being in a purple mood). No worries about a bag, wore it home! Very cheering up.

I shall have to find the red hat.

Now going for a sleep catchup.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Today's thanks for a) the nice guy at the phone stall in the mall, who got my second spare mobile up and running, and didn't charge me anything; b) the chest of wicker drawers in TKMaxx, which will fill the space vacated by the wedge cushions, and offer a home for the instant tea, dried milk, and instant porage, in case I get trapped another time and need breakfast; and c) because I mock people who pray for parking spaces, my favourite space was free at the supermarket.

Catching up on sleep again. Have limited attention span at the moment.

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Father, for the consolations of prayer and kindness and friendship, especially the prayers and kindness of my friends here.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2814 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very grateful thanks to the person who found the overdue library book I had dropped somewhere in the Mall and returned it to the library before I could rack up any more library fines or even have to pay for a replacement book [Yipee]

Sometimes I firmly believe I have a very overworked Guardian angel [Angel]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10013 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016