homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iven in the church his evening and tonight - it was good 1

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11107 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday was our 28th wedding anniversary, and today was the 28th anniversary of my becoming a kirkit bride.

I wonder if any bride now uses the term "kirkit bride"? A bride is kirkit the first time she attends church with her new husband, and they sit together as a new unit, rather than with their respective parents. Given that we met at University and our families lived elsewhere in two different cities, we had never attended church sitting apart prior to our wedding. Even so, I liked the idea that I had been kirkit.

Also, as I didn't wear my glasses at my wedding and everything was a bit blurry, it wasn't till we went to church the following day that I saw my wedding flowers!

[ 19. February 2017, 21:21: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posts: 6341 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant to post that on the anniversaries and significant dates thread!
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I meant to post that on the anniversaries and significant dates thread!

NEQ, I have copied your post over to birthdays and significant dates thread for you, but have left the original here.

Lothlorien, AS Host.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9359 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Thank you!
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of you will know that for a few years I withdrew from full-time clergy ministry. And then about two years ago came down with severe psoriasis and was unable to work at all. Today I'm giving thanks because over the past several months, thanks to various treatments, the psoriasis is being well managed, long-term.

Ironically, it was only when I was diagnozed with psoriatic arthritis and prescribed methotrexate, did things really pick up. Thankfully, I get almost no side-effects with the drug; and one of the effects of it is to help clear the skin. And I manage the day to day rashes with the usual steroid creams and emollients.

The result has been a return to near-normal life. Even to the extent of applying for full-time clergy work again. And I'm astonished and delighted - and very thankful to be able to say that round about Easter I should be taking up the post of a rector again in the Anglican Church.

When I was at my lowest I remember reading the scripture about giving thanks in all circumstances, by Paul. I told God I wasn't strong enough or 'good' enough to do that. But then it occurred to me that I had nothing to lose, and that being thankful to God in a situation where I had virtually no options, was perhaps the only choice I had over my own life at that time; even though I was bed-bound and depressed, and apparently without a future. So why shouldn't I just praise and thank God regardless? Maybe it would help me mentally to cope with the misery?

There was no quick fix miracle. There's no cure for psoriasis and I'll be on blood tests and this medication for the rest of my life. But God inhabiting my attitudes helped me to cope. And while I have to work a little harder to keep my body fit for duty, I now have the privilege of returning to clergy ministry. And with an altered mindset.

Giving thanks in all circumstances is, maybe, a mad Pollyanna thing to do. But if it lets God get into the darkness, it's worth a go.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9930 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Anselmina [Overused] bless you

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1358 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anselmina, thank you [Axe murder]
Posts: 2199 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anselmina [Axe murder]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5230 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ive been in the church his evening and very good !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11107 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee]

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very good to hear, daisymay.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anselmina [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19421 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anselmina, that's wonderful. Reading that has made me decide to step away from the keyboard -- your story gets to be the last one I'll read today.
Posts: 4342 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anselmina [Yipee]

Thank you, I needed to read that today!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 658 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How lovely to hear some good news for a change...

Preach it, Sister Anselmina!

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8897 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive been at the one paid scotish one in london and it is very good. It fitted us to eat after it worked !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh? [Confused]
Posts: 9311 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat Spyder, who has heart trouble, just had his blood pressure taken today and it was normal. Now i await the results of a urinalysis.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11631 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate to double post but I am so grateful to God that I have to ost this. I made contact with my dear friend who I have been forcibly out of touch with for a year. We talked on the phone for an hour and a half, and it was wonderful. It's an answer to my prayers.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11631 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Lovely to hear Nicole.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Loth said. [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 19421 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee]
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I.ve ween to the church in the morning and in the evening, I been very good 1

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

Giving thanks in all circumstances is, maybe, a mad Pollyanna thing to do. But if it lets God get into the darkness, it's worth a go.

Oh, Amen ... though I'm struggling right now ... but the dawn will come

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18746 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess daisymay is, as she often does, giving thanks to God for the spiritual refreshment and encouragement she receives from the Scottish church(es) in London.

So, too, should all of us rejoice at what we receive from our own churches or spiritual homes!

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8897 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Yay for all the yay!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

[Smile]
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive just been in the church later and it was bred and vine 1 It was very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks and praise for all the spring flowers which lighten the hearts of their beholders!

I have decided that, rather than give up anything for Lent, I shall find one thing every day to give thanks and praise for - I have so much to be grateful for [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1358 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I try to be thankful for three things every day at breakfast a different three to the previous few days. Otherwise I could just rattle off anything without even thinking.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Yesterday's cause for thanksgiving - being able to cheer up the Dowager when she was feeling down [Yipee]

Today's was a muddy walk in the sunshine after the wind had dropped [Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Today's (slightly silly) causes for thanksgiving: remembering why we couldn't find a set of dinner-plates (they were with the stuff we brought over ourselves to use in the flat and are in a box in D's office); and finding Bruno, a generously-proportioned teddy-bear who was in a box guarding some breakables (not broken).

[Smile]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For colleagues who help me get things sorted when they're hard, thank you God.

Cattyish, grateful.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1788 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Very grateful thanks to the person who found the overdue library book I had dropped somewhere in the Mall and returned it to the library before I could rack up any more library fines or even have to pay for a replacement book [Yipee]

Sometimes I firmly believe I have a very overworked Guardian angel [Angel]

Huia

I wish that person had been onthetrainwhen I accidentally left several Tom Wright and James Dunn books on train. An expensive mistake.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive been at the church it the morning and evening and later and it was very good 1

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grandson R came home Saturday. He's feeding and breathing properly but parents J & H will be watching closely.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23939 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear it, SS - prayers continuing to ascend. [Votive]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

So many Reasons to be Cheerful while visiting Intrepid Grandson this weekend [Yipee] too many to list here [Overused]

But having seen him eat (no wonder he went to National Book Day dressed as the Very Hungry Caterpillar [Smile] ) I need to put my money where my heart is and send a donation to Mary's Meals*

* other equally appropriate charities are available

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Today's Cause for Rejoicing is that the lowlife who smashed our study window this afternoon didn't actually get into the house - the alarm must have scared him off.

Also he cut himself on the broken glass.

Sorry to sound so unChristian [Devil]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not at all, Mrs. S. - it serves him right. [Two face]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

What's more, the scene of crime officer collected a good blood sample from the window handle - enough for a DNA match [Two face]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive been to the Scotish church in ear and it was very good at I today.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's brilliant, daisymay! Praise be indeed. A good service is worth a lot! [Yipee] [Angel]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7233 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of people around here are giving thanks that a minister who had left his congregation under a cloud, many years ago, was able to return and participate in a service, offering a fine prayer that touched everyone. It was a moment of healing that lifted a weight off his and many other shoulders.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 866 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Prayer thread I said that today I was taking a risk and handling a difficult anniversary in a different way.

WoW! I am so glad I did. I had a brilliant time, resolved some of pain and am ready to move on in my life [Yipee]

As with most grieving for life changing events there may possibly be some residual stuff that pops up from tome to time, but I feel whole and connected in a way I didn't before.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10033 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

How wonderful for you, Huia, I am happy for you.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Excellent, Huia
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That sounds very good indeed, Huia - long may your feelings of wellbeing continue. [Smile]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a breakthrough Huia -- such good news.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 473 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016