homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the sound of peaceful sleeping breathing from the room next door.
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
reading a late in the place and it was good plain and bread and fine.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11161 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds good, daisymay [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of weeks ago I posted a request on the prayer thread for my mum and two of her sisters, all of whom were having hospital treatment. I'm thankful that the two surgeries (my mum and my youngest aunt) went successfully, and more than that that the mass on my aunt's uterus turned out to be benign. And my other aunt seems to be managing chemo remarkably well so far.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5758 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's excellent news, JtL - prayers continuing to ascend. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19766 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stepgrandson has struggled all his life at school, despite his obvious intelligence. Just before Christmas he was diagnosed with one of the many forms of epilepsy and also with sensory perception disorder. Medication seems to now be sorted for the epilepsy, at least for the moment, and he sees an Occupational Therapist who has given help with the disorder.

At a parent teacher evening a week ago, he was given very good reports from his new teachers in high school. His mum had tears in her eyes yesterday as she said the evening was the best she had ever had for him. Maths is still a strugglr, but as the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9516 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely to think his confidence is being built up, Lothlorien -- a young boy with a sensory processing disorder lives down the road and his teacher pointed out that W's co-ordination has improved because he is far less timid and feels able to risk more in games and interactions.

[Votive]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 521 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D has agreed to a representative from social services having access to the house tomorrow, and also to me accompanying her son during that visit!

Hosanna (both meanings)! Alleluia!

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed - [Votive] for yet more in the way of positive progress!

On another subject, praise God for providing Our Place with a part-time Interim Minister after only four months' interregnum. Other developments are pending, but it's a huge boost to morale, after the lacklustre ministry of our previous priest-in-charge.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9446 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ive been this evening in the scotish church and it was very good . they give us food after !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11161 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like a lovely time, daisymay!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17862 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Offering thanks to God for all the help I've had this week.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2885 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had a wonderful two days visiting my daughter and son-in-law. So lovely to see them.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11685 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicole, I understand your feelings. I have seen all my family several times recently. They do not live close to me in Sydney which stretches a long way, and they have families of their own to nurture. I understand your thankfulness. I hear from my sons often but do not actually see much of them.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

For the sending of a woman from the same neck of the South London woods as D to the ward, not only familiar with the same park, but also praising the work of the Friends of that park, of which D's son is chair (and founder), and in the work of which D has been involved. Cheered her a bit. (Still there.)
I hope the woman's condition improves well, though.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

1ve been in the scotish church and it was very pood at in he vewing.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praise the Lord for churches (Scottish or otherwise) where we feel welcome!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9446 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yes, indeed. That is good to hear.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Master S was confirmed in his Grade 7 post yesterday in the face of some stiff opposition [Axe murder]

I am proud and relieved in equal measure! [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1396 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wahoooo! [Yipee]
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Its sing it is wet today. It was dificul for me.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Yes, horribly wet and windy, take care daisymay [Smile]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Master S! [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 19766 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our best friends have become grandparents! Lovely little girl, everyone well.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24053 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How lovely, SS - congratulations to all!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1396 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive beed in the scatish church to day and it was very good,

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear it, Daisymay! [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

You often mention the Scottish church, daisymay. I am glad to hear you enjoy it so much.

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Lord for giving us hope.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2885 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ais evening in was very good at the church and it feed berd and wine 1

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At LAST, dear Lord, my back garden looks semi respectable.....
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Praise God, that despite recent and current Horrid Events in London, the sheer goodness and resilience of so many people - of all faiths, and none - continues to rise above the ghastliness.

IJ

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I am going to the church and I ho[e I die it also,

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Be blessed daisymay [Votive]
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Utterly trivial thing - today we had the local fete, and the scouts were running an archery stall. I bought three arrows, and with the first one got a gold, right in the middle of it! (The other two, with which I was more careful, only made the blue ring.)
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our town had the highest flood levels of a flood prone river since 1975 today, and we ended up having the only sandbagged house in the area. Our saintly volunteer fire department responded to a call around 6:30 this morning and they soon had us secured, though they came back twice more to make sure of it. The water is on its way down again, and apart from having to have the septic system pumped as soon as things settle down, there's no serious damage. There will be a few prayers of thanks ascending on account of the help we got today (and some letters to a few officials about the great people who keep the township running).

PS Sandbags are heavy!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 891 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm just back from a trip to Orkney combining seeing my dad (92, v.v. frail) and attending some of the events at the St. Magnus Festival, which were excellent, and for which I give much thanks.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

How lovely, Piglet [Axe murder]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm just back from a trip to Orkney combining seeing my dad (92, v.v. frail) and attending some of the events at the St. Magnus Festival, which were excellent, and for which I give much thanks.

Lucky Piglet! Did you see "The Story of Magnus Erlendsson" at the Cathedral? I wish we could have stayed long enough for that, but I shall be offering up thanks for a long time for being able to spend a little time on that lovely island of yours, and just for being able to travel again.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 891 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Praise and thanks to the Lord in whom I place my trust (see Aging Parents thread).

Blessed be the Name of the Lord [Overused]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Lucky Piglet! Did you see "The Story of Magnus Erlendsson" at the Cathedral?

"See" isn't quite the word; despite my sister logging on to book tickets as soon as they became available to the general public, we could only get seats in the aisles, and really couldn't see anything. But what we heard was utterly mesmerising, and when they processed round the church singing the Hymn to St. Magnus I had tears rolling down my cheeks and a lump in my throat the size of a small island*.

I hadn't been in Orkney at Festival time for nearly 30 years, and I'm glad it was this year that I made it back. [Smile]

* Egilsay, presumably. [Big Grin]

[ 26. June 2017, 23:53: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive been in the church in london and it was very good and give us food !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

The Tree Officer has approved a tree application that has been outstanding since November (to correct overhanging trees causing our vestry plaster to be damp and fall off the walls!)

Heaven be praised!

[Overused]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elder daughter L has been under threat of redundancy (this would have been her fifth!) but she has found another job in the same firm. This is good news/relief/all sorts of things.
[Overused]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24053 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good news here!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend and fellow parishioner has just welcomed a new grandson! My friend is already a grandfather, several times over, but this is his first grandbaby by this son. Everyone is happy and healthy.

Welcome, T!

[Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9543 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

It has been on the church and it was good ! They also have food to eat and we did that.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That sounds good, daisymay.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
A friend and fellow parishioner has just welcomed a new grandson! My friend is already a grandfather, several times over, but this is his first grandbaby by this son. Everyone is happy and healthy.

Welcome, T!

[Axe murder]

Lovely news, Pigwidgeon.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The guys at the cherry farm gave me a bag of Regina when I went in to buy. They are selling bought-in fruit, as theirs have suffered from an infestation of spotted winged drosophila, but the Regina was theirs. I had taken them some info about the bugs overwintering habits, and mentioned how my last purchase had burst out with the grubs of the afore mentioned flies. They are lovely fruit, which have, I think, escaped the attention of the females' ovipositors, and it was very generous of them. Especially in the circumstances. Munching now.

My guests can't handle stone fruit, so they are mine, all mine!

[ 10. July 2017, 07:46: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016