homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was this vening today and it was good to chure,

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11106 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have spent tne entire month of June hobbling around with a bum knee, but today is the first day it seems to be right again. Thank God!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5464 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so relieved. My oldest brother has Parkinson's disease and is in care. His home is closing in August and we were despairing of finding somewhere else where he could take his cat.

I found out today that he and his cat have a place in a home where my Mum lived for the last few months of her life.

I was so relieved I [Waterworks]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10032 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That must be a huge relief for you, Huia.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9359 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely - and glad that he can keep the cat. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19421 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your recent and continued prayers, and praise for reasonably 'surviving' the last few days at work, with the unbearably hot weather and all (yes, everybody was moaning and groaning and sweating, not just me!), and now a few weeks off for summer. And it's a bit cooler and has been raining and thunderstorming, which is helpful.

My medical appointement on Monday was a new one to me, TCM, Traditional Chinese Medicine, and I must say... wow, I am flabbergasted! (Important NOTE: This is NOT medical advice or support for any kind of treatment, just my very personal observation and reaction to it!)

So, they didn't just do The Needles, which I knew they would, but also things like acupressure and massage - I never had anything like it in combination before! And it makes total sense!

So thanks and praise also for the great relief that was felt after just that first treatment, more of which will follow in the next few weeks.

You know, I am so grateful for the, let's call them: immediate emotional benefits of this. I really wasn't expecting this, and there was sudden clarity and insight into things, and a feeling of forgiveness and mercy - so it's quite amazing what knowledgeable phyisiological manipulation can do to one's general wellbeing. I'd never have thought!!

Praise and thanksgiving for this, and the continued blessings that will flow, and to Him from whom they flow.

[Angel]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7233 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me Too, Georgie-Porgy would not like an addition to the household where she is Queen, and besides Pud-Pud hates both my sister-in-law and I as we have both taken her to the vets at different times.

If it does turn to custard one of the staff at the Home he's in now likes Pud-Pud and would welcome her.

I wish the place wasn't closing. The staff there have been so kind. Dad was there too, and when he died some of the residents took the place of Uncles and Aunts in comforting us, his grown up children, as we had no older family left.

So this is also in Thanksgiving for the love of the staff, and praying that they find employment elsewhere as some have been there over 20 years.

Huia

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everything seems to be coming up roses at the moment.

I've sold my condo on the terms I was hoping for. God answered my prayer on this one.

I've successfully resolved a difficult travel arrangement snafu.

[Yipee]

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10237 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations! Travel arrangements, always difficult.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5464 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, ABR! [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 19421 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem Cat is missing and has a sprained paw. Going out to search again now.

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3502 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am really sorry, I thought I'd posted the previous message in Prayers of the Faithful. I was on mobile at the time.

I received a substantial tax rebate today, woohoo! As long as I can discipline myself not to react like a prospector in a Robert Service ballad this will be a great help.

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Problem Cat was waiting on the doormat this morning, in very bad shape, and we were able to get him the care he needed thank God.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news Telepath. Nothing more worrying than a missing cat.

Very moved to hear that my friend Jenny who died so suddenly last week in the UK requested that her ashes be brought back to South Africa and scattered in the Kruger national Park where she spent so many happy times out in the bushveld looking at wild birds and animals. It feels as if she is coming home from a long exile and her brother posted that he has a sense of peaceful closure at the prospect of returning her to the land she loved so much.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 472 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Driving home on a windy country road, fifteen miles from home, when the car made a loud scraping sound. Stopped, put on hazards, tried to spot problem. A man called Stephen / Steven stopped and asked if needed help pushing the car away from the bend. I explained the noise, he asked for the car keys and drove a few meters. He thought a piece of grit had lodged in my brake pad. He tested the brakes, which appeared to be working, though they sounded awful. He thought I was safe to drive home and offered to tail me home to make sure I was ok. I got home safely.

It might have taken hours to get a breakdown service on a Sunday evening, and I'd have been stuck on an awkward bit of road. Thanks to Steph(v)en I can call a garage tomorrow, from home.

He was five minutes from home when he stopped, having been sent out by his wife to pick up a missing ingredient for their dinner. So also grateful that when he phoned home to say he was taking a 30 mile detour home, she agreed! I hope their dinner wasn't ruined.

Thanks be to God for Steph(v)en!

Posts: 6340 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How kind of him to do that for you. Our exhaust pipe fell apart one night when eldest son was about three months old. We pulled off road but it was pitch black in the bush and we did not have a torch. No one stopped. Then I stood holding baby son where I could be seen by approaching cars. One stopped, pulled up behind us and shone headlights on for light. Then the driver followed us for a considerable distance back to civilisation and the suburbs again.

I remember being so thankful so can imagine how you felt too.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Duty, Stern Daughter of the Voice of God (as Bertie Wooster put it [Big Grin] ) forced me to help out with the Leavers' Day for one of our local primary schools today. Normally I would run a mile from such a thing [Eek!] !

However the children were all really engaged with their activities, and the whole day was much less stressful than I had imagined. Thank you Lord!

(oh, and please bless the breakfast I'm catering in church tomorrow morning - at least this one's only for 10 or so, as opposed to the 40 people last time!)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1358 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks be to God for sending me a lovely physio and relief from pain. Thank you for all the prayers for my son.

Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, for His love has no end.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2822 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It's stopped raining and the water is draining away, both locally and further south. A start can be made in cleaning flooded houses - a heat breaking task. [Votive]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
It's stopped raining and the water is draining away, both locally and further south. A start can be made in cleaning flooded houses - a heat breaking task. [Votive]

Huia

v

And a filthy smelly task too.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EM [Votive]

Huia, glad to know you're safe. Feeling very sympathetic for all those who have to clean up.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you the kind lady who drove us to our hotel when we got lost walking this weekend. We were two miles out of our way, had been walking for six hours in torrential rain and it was getting late. We knocked at the door of what we though was a B@B. It was an exB@B but the owner drove us to our destination, which was so kind of her. There are such lovely people in the world.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 1902 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ive been at the church today and it was very good and they food us after !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11106 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, that sounds a real blessing, daisymay.
Posts: 2197 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Sarasa, there are indeed some good people around. Two of the staff from the care home where my brother was living went to his new place and found the cat.

I so wish it wasn't closing, the loving kindness they showed towards our whole family when Dad, and later, my brother was there, seem a long way from the attitude of the staff at his new place [Waterworks]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

How lovely for your brother and the cat and what great compassion from those who found it.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm still finishing up my dissertation, I've been offered (and have accepted) an adjunct position for the fall and winter quarters at the local seminary where it's been my dream to teach! [Yipee]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7643 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yippee Churchgeek [Smile]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant, churchgeek!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, Churchgeek! [Yipee]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend Mike, currently in a hospice, and his partner [another Mike] of 40+ years are planning a Civil Partnership and are very thankful [as am I] that the hospice are insisting on hosting the event and the local Registrar is being extremely helpful.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That is good news indeed, WW. A blessing at this time, actually when I imagine arrangements may be awkward.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Good to hear this, WW [Votive]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely - best wishes to them both.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Happy news [Votive]
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

It was lovely in the church with been and pain and we all god that.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

That sounds good daisymay [Smile]
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deo gratias

--------------------

Posts: 2822 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

So many signs from God today including the good news of Mike & Mike's civil partnership, I'm overwhelmed

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My difficult relationship with my mother was healed last March. We've got years (decades!) to make up for, but I am so,so grateful to God.
Posts: 6340 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent news there! Much praise! [Yipee]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7233 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother and sister have made peace.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19964 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

Something I was expecting to be difficult turned out to be easy because a person I was expecting to be difficult turned out to be lovely.

And I've just received my first ever text message from my son who's got his first phone ready for big school in September. Message says "We went to the park and we are baking cakes."

Giving thanks for the healing in relationships that is being posted about here.

Bless the Lord, my soul.
Bless His holy name.
He rescues me from death.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, Mike and Mike have tied the knot after 40+ years! I am not sure which Mike has made an honest man out of which Mike, I am just delighted that it has happened at all before the deadline, and, sadly, it doesn't look to be long now.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I was in the scotish church and it was very good !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
M gave a lecture last night which went really well, after he had been anticipating it having problems. Came away very happy.
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

M and M [Votive]
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

For Mike and Mike. [Votive]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started having vertigo 24/7 in July of 2015. It stopped in May of 2016, and came back in October. The cause was never discovered (the common causes having been ruled out) and three different drugs and a month of physical therapy did nothing.

But now it has stopped again! And it is such a joy to be able to walk without thinking about every single step, to walk briskly for more than 10 minutes without feeling ill, to go up and down stairs carrying things without fear of falling, to put on pants without leaning up against a wall, to tip my head back to look at things on the top shelf at the grocery store, to not worry about being knocked down by bicyclists, skateboarders, children, or dogs on the sidewalk ... to have balance!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posts: 24387 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I can understand what joy it must be to have that gone. I have had it several times, but it has been an ear infection causing it. Just horrible. Take care.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016