homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving - 2017
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW, I've had that too, a mysterious horrible vertigo that came and went for a couple of years. Feeling your relief [Votive]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 476 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grandson Four arrived safely last night. 6lb 4oz, but no name as yet. That is four grandsons under two!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23939 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here to thank the Lord for my son having a good first day at transition summer school, preparing for secondary in September.

[Votive]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2822 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ve been at the church and it was Bred and Wine and it was very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11110 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to hear it, daisymay!

Thank God for churches where we feel both at home, and in His presence (which can be the same thing, of course).

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8928 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are your family working on producing a rugby team, SS?

Congratulations to all [Angel]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1361 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

I was asked this when my third son was born, although I was also asked if I was creating a relay team.

[ 14. August 2017, 21:17: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9363 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:

I was asked this when my third son was born, although I was also asked if I was creating a relay team.
Thanks! Physically the older two do look suited to growing up to be forwards.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ive just been in the church and it was good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11110 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had a most marvellous day in work and am DEEPLY thankful that my employment is also something that makes me profoundly happy! [Yipee]
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SO grateful that the trees which were causing a damp microclimate over our vestry roof have *finally* been cut back [Overused]

This has been ongoing since November last year, and I am just thrilled that it has finally happened.

Now - on to the next three bits of tree work. Who knew that a churchwarden's life was so sylvan?

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1361 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Killing me]

Congratulations, SS! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19435 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Visited my Mum today. And in spite of constant repetitions, she is in good form and really enjoyed keeping me up to date with all the Care Home news.

That was today, any other day could ...and no doubt Will.....be totally different.
But today?
Today was great.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I was in the church and they feed in the pray and it it was very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent news daisymay [Smile]
Posts: 2203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive been in the church just belong to me and they bane brean and bane,

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's lovely, daisymay!

Praise from me too, and for an unexpected musical pleasure on Saturday night. Our local chamber choir, together with professional soloists and a baroque rent-an-orchestra, did Henry Purcell's King Arthur! This was fabulous fun, especially as the choir is rather big, the story and the music great anyway. The performance was well-designed and thought through, with quite a bit of dramatic acting by all as well. Excellent stuff! [Yipee]

Very glad that such things are offered locally (which I wasn't aware of - I only found out the day before!), and some good talks were had with others in the audience - before and after the show, not during, of course. [Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7234 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That does sound like fun, Wesley - I'm rather partial to a spot of Purcell now and again. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 19435 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Once a month, clergy and/or churchwardens from our local churches meet to discuss what we are all doing, any joint activities we might be planning and so on. Today's was a real blessing - a couple who have been keeping a local Baptist church running, without benefit of clergy, particularly were upheld and encouraged [Angel]

Whenever I see a headline about how church attendance is dropping, I remind myself of how many different forms of 'church' there are out there, and of all the great and wonderful things they do for their communities - for example, running a Baby (equipment!) Bank for young parents in need of help.

Thank you God, for all your servants do and try to do!

[Overused]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive just been in the wine and it was bred and wine. It was very good !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YaY, my Nordic Walking Poles, which I left at a bus stop have been found. A bus company rang me this morning. I believed that I would never see them again because I left them at the time school was getting out and I can just imagine children 'sword-fighting' with them.

The other brilliant happening was finding a $50 supermarket card my youngest brother had given me for my birthday in May. The timing was particularly good because I have had a couple of unexpected bills that must be paid now.

Huia [Yipee]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10043 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news on both counts, Huia.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I have been at the scotish church and it was very good 1
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good to hear it, Daisymay!

<trots off, whistling a Common Metre metrical psalm tune>*

* probably Kilmarnock, or possibly St. Magnus. [Smile]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know you're Orcadian, but go for Kilmarnock, please! Or Invocation.
Posts: 9318 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

My heart really goes out to this girl and her family.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! [Votive]
Posts: 2203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[tangent continuation]
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I know you're Orcadian, but go for Kilmarnock, please! Or Invocation.

I had to look up Invocation, which was set to O send thy light forth and thy truth, but I think those words should go to Martyrs.

[OK that's enough of this tangent, although it might count as "praise" ... [Big Grin] ]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My elderly cat, Bjorn, was not eating, and losing weight badly so I took him to the vet. It has been determined that he doesn't like the dry prescription food he was being given, so I have shifted him to the canned version of it and he is eating again! And his blood tests all came back normal too.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11632 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to hear this, Nicolemr.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely - glad to hear he's a happy pussycat again. [Smile]

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks be to God:
The daughter and her husband (plus four children and her mother) pulled off a last-minute escape from a bit north of Tampa, drove all night, and took shelter in South Carolina with her uncle and aunt.

And adding a special prayer for JediJudy who is staying put south of Tampa. [Votive]

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, JB! Glad your family is safe!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17783 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praising and thanking God for every day my son goes to secondary school smiling and comes home tired and smiling.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2822 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My greatly loved mother-in-law, who will be 89 in a few days, spent 9 hours in the operating theatre today for difficult cancer surgery, and is doing really well. Thanks for the healing gifts placed in the hands of the two surgeons and all who supported them. And special thanks to my wife who spent the day nearby, just waiting.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 867 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Prayers ascending, ST. [Votive]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so thankful for the prayers of so many people around the world! My family is all safe. I have one friend I haven't heard from, but hope that after the flooding is down, and power is on, he will be able to communicate with me.

I'm sure there will be much rejoicing and giving thanks tomorrow at church, too!

--------------------

Posts: 17783 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

For ST's mother-in-law [Votive]

Jedjudy [Votive]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I copied a couple of TV programmes for a friend about to return to California, leaving us no time to watch together. I put them on an SD card and put the card in a little box, and the box in my trousers pocket. We picked him up from the B&B and drove to Gravesend to view the statue of Pocahontas and look at the river, and then to a pub for lunch. I reached for the card, and it wasn't there! Girly pockets, not deep enough to hold things securely. I was sure I had felt it several times while out. Discussion followed. Was there time to retrace our steps before the planned evening lecture? Disagreement followed, but it was my SD card, and my car, so we dropped the friend to pick up later and drove home, where I intended to find a flash drive and recopy for transfer during the evening.

Got out of the car, opened the rear door to get my bag (which I had searched), looked down on the concrete drive, and there it was, placed neatly at right angles to the road.

For which, thanks. But also puzzlement.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praise for JediJudy getting through the hurricane and Saysay's little nephew doing well after surgery!
jedijudy

# 333

I heard from my friend who was flooded in and without electricity (of course!) He's fine and should get power back soon! [Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear it, JJ. [Votive]

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A happy ending to the Orphan Annie the cat saga...final owner surrender after an intrafamily squabble. Now my friends can adopt her.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6301 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I was in the church and she gave me cay brad i

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I am glad you enjoyed church, daisymay.

LC, good news about Orphan Annie.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Praise and thanks in equal measure - a check-up at the eye clinic has shown that my ocular pressures are well down, following laser surgery.

HALLELUJAH!
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Did I make that clear enough? [Yipee] Thank you God, and thank you University Hospital Southampton

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

The Extremely Thankful Mrs. S

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That must be such a relief for you. I am happy for you bthat it went well.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Excellent news, Mrs. S.! [Yipee]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite clear, Mrs. S.!

In other news, the DVLA have re-issued my driving licence, on a provisional basis, for three years!

This is fairy nuff, as I am still on anti-seizure meds following brain surgery, so I guess I'm classed as (potentially) epileptic, albeit free of seizures now for over a year.

I shall now look for a new Episcopal Carriage (possibly something exotic, like a Ford), but I dread to think what my insurance premium might amount to... [Eek!]

Still, I may not have to wait about at Bus Stops, with The Glums, in the Winter Weather. [Yipee]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8928 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was just thinking, you'll have to change your tag-line. [Big Grin]

Health to drive the Episcopal Carriage, whatever variety it is! [Yipee]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016