homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
I've recently found M&S's hot cross sliced loaf a revelation.
Tasty and easily popped in a toaster.

And here is a recipe - yum!

Served with clotted cream *sigh*.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently there's a lady in the Cathedral who sells HCBs in aid of the Fabric fund, so D. has put our name down for half-a-dozen.

I envy all you with Marks & Sparks in the vicinity - especially La Vie and WW - I thought they'd closed all their non-UK branches except the Dublin one several years ago. The one in St. John's closed shortly before we moved there; I don't know if there was ever one in Fredericton or not.

Never mind the hot cross buns - now I want a prawn and mayonnaise sandwich.

[Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spring is almost certainly beginning to spring.

D. actually managed to get into the shed this afternoon - enough sn*w had gone from between the deck and the shed door that he was able to (a) put the sn*w-shovels away*; and (b) find the sn*w-blower. That's the trouble with getting the keys to your new house in February ... [Big Grin]

He says it's very spacious in there - his exact words were "spare bedroom". [Killing me]

* This may, of course, trigger a massive demonstration of Sod's Law. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Spare Bedroom' in Man-Speak can also mean 'Hobby Room' aka space for Model Railway!

[Biased]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
'Spare Bedroom' in Man-Speak can also mean 'Hobby Room' aka space for Model Railway!

[Biased]

IJ

Hear! Hear!

Unfortunately our spare bedroom is Mrs Sioni's hobby room containing sewing and quilting stuff plus (I think) about ten miles of fabric. I'm waiting for another "child" to leave: they are 21 and 27.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You'll have to be quick claiming the room when they do; as I understand it they have a habit of coming back if you leave space for them.

Piglet - peccavi! [I have sinned!]

The teddies [and others] that reside on my bed have had to spend two nights hanging by their ears on my balcony.

BAD WW!

I rather suspected that that was where the tiny wee ants were coming from, the ones that so enjoyed waking me up at odd times in the night, so I hung them all up in a line and have sprayed them a couple of times with noxious chemicals; shortly I shall give them a good vacuuming and replace them when I put on the clean sheets just before breakfast. I have been out there to talk to them and they all seem none the worse for the ordeal.

Much rejoicing here yesterday when I actually found an online supplier, in India, for Flaked/Sliced Almonds - I've been looking for a while and one website actually made the connection between the words - I always knew them as Flaked but I am quite happy to take them with a name from another culture. Two little tubs of the things are already winging their way south.

Isn't it strange the way little things like finding something as ultimately trivial as that can just enhance the day?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Or Sind - but never sure just how historical that was

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Or Sind - but never sure just how historical that was
I think it is probably accurate as it appears quoted in so many well-respected texts - and is the sort of clever thing folks like that say. The sort of thing I'd think of saying about a week after the event!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And as it has the WW seal of approval, I shall treat it as true! A very quick and sensible thing to do.

In WW II, the Japanese used a sort of Ultra machine to encrypt messages written in an old Japanese formal language as an extra protection. Fortunately, the head of the Australian team attempting to break the system recognised some short passage; he had worked in the Aust office in Tokyo for quite a few years in the early 20s and had picked up this language. The code was then broken, much as the Bletchley Park team worked. As an aside, a member of the team was Donald Robinson, who was the Anglican Abp of Sydney during much of the 80s. Vey sadly, Robinson's mind has all but completely gone by now. We know a son.

[ 12. April 2017, 06:43: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Mea culpa - I have indeed sinned!

Checking I find that the true author appears to have been one Catherine Winkworth who submitted it to Punch who then published it as factual - and it seems to have been generally accepted from then on.

Apologies all round, particularly to GeeD.

Nearly lunchtime, sheets still not changed and teddies still on the line - next week I must get organised!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Aha! It just sounded too good to me to be true, but thought that you can never tell with the Victorians.

At least I can confirm my account of the Japanese is correct.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, this is all very well - but what about WW's teddies? Still on the line?

[Help]

Is Outrage!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Too bad about the teddies, etc. It's WW's fault entirely. He will insist on feeding them honey.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it's now official - they've put it on f/b - Lord P is now engaged to his Lady.. This means that Darllenwr and I are going to be in-laws, probably next Autumn. Gosh, it does sound old!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor teddies!!! [Waterworks]

When I was a very small piglet, I remember crying my eyes out when Mum put Teddy on the washing line by his ears (I still have him, by the way - he's not in the best of health, but he's settled nicely in the ursularium beside my side of the bed).

I do hope yours feel better very soon.

St. G. - congratulations to Lord P. and the future Lady P.! [Yipee] Easter is a very good time for it - D. and I got engaged on Easter Sunday 30 years ago. [Eek!]

We've just had a very nice Tenebrae service. It was very simple - readings from the Lamentations (Authorised Version), plainsong chanting of the Psalms (Cranmer's matchless prose) and part of the Tenebrae Responsaries by Healey Willan, with candles and lights being extinguished between each.

Simple but very effective.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...plainsong chanting of the Psalms (Cranmer's matchless prose)...

I thought the Psalms, as in the BCP, were lifted almost directly from the Coverdale translation - but then what does a Quaker know?

The Teddies are now back where they belong, although the way Eeyore moaned about the spray and his asthma he might find himself hanging there rather more in future. Sadly it all seems a waste as the pesky [not piskie!] little ants were back again last night. This morning the whole bedroom got a thorough spraying.

Nice bit of news this week in the Newsletter from my Quaker Meeting in UK - one elderly Friend [our friendship dates back to long before either of us became a Friend - in fact from CND in the early 1980s] has been in hospital for a while after, I think, a broken hip [& replacement] and is now about to move down south, to near Reading, to live with relatives and is delighted to be going nearer Aldermaston so she can more involved in the protests there!

I think she must be about mid-eighties by now - Go S.!

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Poor teddies!!! [Waterworks]

When I was a very small piglet, I remember crying my eyes out when Mum put Teddy on the washing line by his ears (I still have him, by the way - he's not in the best of health, but he's settled nicely in the ursularium beside my side of the bed).

I do hope yours feel better very soon.

That brings back a distant memory of my mother cleaning my bear - Theodore - with baking powder that she dusted on him and then brushed off. I can't remember why, or if it worked, but I'm fairly sure he hasn't been cleaned since. He's a little frail now, so I'm not taking any chances with him.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The Teddies are now back where they belong, although the way Eeyore moaned about the spray and his asthma he might find himself hanging there rather more in future.

Poor Eeyore! You spray him with stinky stuff and hang him out by his ears. Maybe he just needs a hug.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Barnabas, my extremely cuddly and beginning to get quite ancient lamb, sends much sympathy to all the bears and says he hates the indignity of the washing machine but at least gets to sit on the drying rack rather than being hung up by the ears.

(Don't tell him he's due a wash again along with the appropriately light coloured cushion covers and seat pads when the next sunny day occurs.)

Congratulations to Lord P and the future Lay P. Also to the in-laws-to-be!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to Lord P and his lady.

I got a walk in yesterday - back from the appointment I'd taken a cab to because I didn't fancy cycling for the first time for yonks with the tail end of one of my nastier chest infections (last week I was in meetings in tears because I was in so much pain). It's early but there are bluebells out in the woods and the route I found back had managed sections of woodland with a blue haze.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I love living here and there is very little I miss about UK but I do love Bluebells and the haze you talk about. I often do not much enjoy the temperatures involved when going to view them. There are several areas of The Forest of Dean that can be splendid at the right season.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to Lord P and his lady. I'm sure you'll be splendid in-laws.
We're going away next weekend to East Sussex with a bunch of Quaker F(f)riends for much good company, fun, games and food There will also be walks where there are usually clouds of bluebells. Everything seems a bit ahead of itself this year, so I hope they are still blooming next weekend.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We came back from the local CoE shack for the last of our three annual ecumenical Holy Week services. Monday was RC and Tuesday, Methodist. It was a vintage year, with all three being particularly uplifting. Always one of my seasonal highlights.

The meetings are a ruse though, to mask the fact that we only want to find out what biscuit are served at other churches. Unity through confectionary: it's the way forward.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've not seen bluebells yet this far north (although to be fair I haven't actively looked), but I did notice last month that the gorse is out already. I always thought that came out later, I can't remember noticing it this early before.

The clematis (montana) by our front door is full of hundreds of buds again, I can't wait for it to put on its annual show.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

We have bluebells in the grounds at Our Place, coming nicely into bloom in time to celebrate the Resurrection!

IJ

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
The meetings are a ruse though, to mask the fact that we only want to find out what biscuit are served at other churches. Unity through confectionary: it's the way forward.

Work study days are entirely judged not on the quality of the presentations but on the quality of the biscuits/other refreshments provided. I thought it was just me, but have noticed it everywhere I've worked in the NHS, over the past several years.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
We have bluebells in the grounds at Our Place, coming nicely into bloom in time to celebrate the Resurrection!

IJ

I live in Virginia and so you would think that Virginia bluebells would do well. I planted them and although they do come faithfully up they aren't -spreading- the way they ought.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
... The meetings are a ruse though, to mask the fact that we only want to find out what biscuit are served at other churches. Unity through confectionary: it's the way forward.

Absolutely. [Big Grin]

D. reckons there could be the makings of a PhD thesis on the subject of Comparative Church Food, with particular reference to the Church of Scotland in relation to the following phenomena:

(a) tea in kettles with the milk already added
(b) date sandwiches [Projectile]

[Killing me]

Talking of church food, I'm just messing about here waiting to go to the bring-and-share* supper before the Maundy Thursday service.

* my contribution is, rather boringly, a French stick baked this afternoon; I'd already provided some for the lunch after the clergy's Blessing of Oils service this morning. They'll think it's the only thing I can cook ... [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:
...plainsong chanting of the Psalms (Cranmer's matchless prose)...

I thought the Psalms, as in the BCP, were lifted almost directly from the Coverdale translation - but then what does a Quaker know?
I confess I was going by the order of service, which said they were from the Canadian BCP (1962). I understand it's similar, but not necessarily identical, to Coverdale.

[ 13. April 2017, 20:52: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
the 1959/62 book included a slightly revised version of the Coverdale translation that was included in the previous versions of the BCP in Canada and, before that, if included, in BCPs in the Cof E that used the 1662.

So far as I know, Cranmer didn't produce a version of the psalter, and the AV version was either not used or fell rapidly out of use.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't had a date sandwich in many years but used to love them, made with semi-dried soft squishy dates. Fresh soft bread.
An apt reminder of Mum's birthday today as she used to make them. She died in 2009. Her 97 th birthday today.

[ 13. April 2017, 22:49: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I know this won't surprise anybody much but I have been a bit of a grumpy WW recently - one of the minor myriad reasons being the slightly limited capacity of my wonderful tablet. I love my tablet and wouldn't be without it but for some reason had it in my head that apart from the built in 16 GB it would only take a 32 GB MicroSD card.

WRONG!

When WW eventually got around to reading the instructions [typical man, I know, it's the last thing I do but, in my defence, I have only had it just over the year [Hot and Hormonal] ] I found that it will happily take a 128 GB MicroSD - one of the sort of investigative websites got one to run a 256 GB card no problem. I currently have a 32 GB card in there but I can easily* swap it out and buy a 128 GB for it and massively increase the capacity!

Woohoo!

Happy WW!

As I mentioned elsewhere today, as well as being Good Friday, is also the day of the BIG SPRING FEAST here in Kerala and at lunchtime I overindulged just a tinily, minisculely massive amount and so lay abed this afternoon holding my tummy and groaning and wondering why I do it every year.

Vishu Asamsakal to all - that means Happy Vishu.

*by easily I mean in terms of practicality rather in terms of amassing funding for such a project - it will have to wait a while but at least I know I can do it.

[ 14. April 2017, 13:31: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy Vishu to you too, WW. [Smile]

We had a busy morning - we sang for a Good Friday devotion (which really went rather well, despite being from the "modern words" liturgy, on with which I don't get), and then D. did a suitably meditative organ recital which included his transcription of Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, which was absolutely spine-tingling. A friend made a recording of it, and if it's any good* we'll try and get it web-wards.

* There were a couple of wee kids in the audience, so there may be the odd extraneous noise.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That Fantasia is music to dive into and let it wash over - at least the orchestral version. Looking forward to the web link.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's been a glorious day here: 17° and sunny. Socks have been discarded.

TBH we haven't really taken advantage of it; we had to get in some groceries, so a trip to Costco was in order, and obviously, it was packed. Never mind - lamb joint bought for tomorrow evening's dinner (yum!) along with an industrial quantity of flour. For some reason, there had been a "recall" on the 10kg bags that we usually buy, and all we could get was a 20kg one.

All very well (we use loads of flour because of the bread-making), but where the heck are we going to keep it??

Ah well, happy Easter to one and all. [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Take it outside, Piglet and split into smaller containers. Possibly do this over an old sheet or similar to catch any spills. Then keep one container in kitchen and the rest wherever you have space. My suggestion would be shelving in laundry but many countries do not seem to have separate laundries. So I leave it up to you.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a very pleasant Easter Sunday service at Church today. We decorated a cross with flowers - very striking and moving. Mollie was a good girl and, as usual, raised a smile when she came up with me for communion and received a dog biscuit.

🌺 💐🌻🌸

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bluebirds are sitting on my bird feeder, eating heartily and singing songs. It's like something in a Disney movie.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not the sunniest of Easter Sundays but a nice day none the less. We were at my mother in laws so I went to Mass in the church in the village. The priest always preachers good homilies and it is one of my favourite places of worship. Shame there was no music as all the musicians had been given the morning off after the vigil in the other parish in the group the night before. Managed to catch up with all my husband's siblings, two at his mothers and then calling in for a lovely lunch with the other one on the way home.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Attended a proper Easter sunrise service this morning - 5am at the Cathedral in a nearby city, followed by a champagne breakfast (the thought of which was probably what got me out of bed at 3:30). Followed by a celebration at my own Methodist church then hours digging at the allotment. I am ready to sleep now! Yesterday helped at a bunny and egg extravaganza and bumped into another shippie who I'd not seen for ages.... discussed a possible picnic meet in the summer.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Bluebirds are sitting on my bird feeder, eating heartily and singing songs. It's like something in a Disney movie.

Could they be persuaded to make you a dress a la Cinderella?

Easter morning mass went very well. We all had candles lit from the new Easter candle as would happen at the Vigil. A nice touch and something we've never done before. Fr T had an excellent time blessing the congregation with water: he had a massive grin on his face as he aimed directly at the kids.

We may be the only church to sing Thine Be the Glory accompanied by piano, trombone, treble recorder and bongos (or maybe not) and I made my two-handed piano debut for the psalm. All went well. A joyful service.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Our (extremely wet) Easter Sunday started with a flat tyre [Mad] so we phoned one of the ladies in the choir who lives not too far from us and got a lift (D. just wasn't prepared to faff about changing the tyre in the pouring rain).

The usual Sunday order here is: said Eucharist (BCP) at 8, choral service (BCP and BAS alternate weeks) at 10 and "worship service" with the band at 11:45, but today we had just one combined service with the choir doing some bits and the band doing others, for which the place was packed to the doors.

We made a really not bad fist of Rutter's Christ the Lord is risen again and got several nice comments from the congregation.

Then home for a light lunch and then a bit of a rest - well, D. had a bit of a rest, while I did roast lamb for dinner.

I was just about to take it out of the oven when one of our new neighbours turned up at the door and said he'd noticed we had a flat tyre, and offered to help D. change the wheel (which they accomplished in a very short time).

It's nice to know that there are still kind people around the place. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Boy Twin has now officially been declared to be A Lump!

When born he was 200 gms lighter than his sister and as of yesterday [his 9 month weigh-in] he is now just on a kilogram heavier! His sister hares about the place investigating everything, he sits in the middle of the floor just watching and then slowly smiling as if to say what a silly girl!

I spent much of last night on the railway station at Altrincham where I had just missed the train to Knutsford - all very strange! Anyway I woke up back here in India so no harm, no foul but still more than a little weird.

Discovery of the day is the amazing amount of 'classical' music available on apps these days [I know you all knew this already but...] - I was aware of the amount available on the interwebby thing, even though I don't really listen to it enough, but the Bach app and the Vivaldi app, etc. have given me great joy - reading and photography are a bit limited by my poor vision at the moment but the music is not limited by that at all - except for opera and ballet, of course, but for the moment I'll settle for the possible.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has surreal dreams (you really don't want to know). [Big Grin]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope the discussion here is going to stay light hearted, as I think I'll have to take a couple of months off facebook. Yesterday one of my acquaintances liked 27 statements made by members of the political party he favours in relation to the election. I can't cope with 7 weeks of that.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Let me draw your attention to Facebook Purity. It is a (free!) filtering program. Not only can it filter out all those irritating pop-up ads. You can also set it to filter out posts with key words that you abhor. I tried it and it works great.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The Book Of Face is An Abomination Before The Lord, and a Very Engine Of Satan.

When I am Supreme Dictator Of The World (yes, I know there's a proper thread...), I shall Ban The Book Of Face forthwith.

Or even fifthwith.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Oh, please don't do that, BF - it's the best way I have of contacting my sister, who doesn't answer her land-line because she's fed up of cold-callers (and international calls to a mobile cost a fortune). Once I get her to answer (by sending her a FB message so she knows it's going to be me) we're on for ages, but still ...

There are certainly things about FB that I don't like (and, like Moonlitdoor, I find it rather awkward when friends express political opinions very different from mine), but I suppose that's what the wheel on your mouse is for.

[ 19. April 2017, 23:41: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh, please don't do that, BF - it's the best way I have of contacting my sister, who doesn't answer her land-line because she's fed up of cold-callers (and international calls to a mobile cost a fortune). Once I get her to answer (by sending her a FB message so she knows it's going to be me) we're on for ages, but still ...

Can't you send her an email -- like we did in medieval times?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We Have Teeth!!

Well, girl twin has one tooth but obviously others are on their way. It's not fully through yet, obviously, but has been achieved with very little grizzling, which we hope is a positive sign.

Anyway there was much celebration over breakfast and much grinning from Her Highness, not that I think she really knew what she was grinning about.

We have a 10 year old neighbour boy who appears to still have all his deciduous teeth - is this as unusual as it seems to me?

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually it wasn't that I disagree particularly with his political opinions, I just don't want to read about them at such great length. The main competition to it in my current facebook is the posts from a former work colleague who is making a tour of all the places associated with the pop star Prince. Of which there are evidently quite a few.

After the talk about bizarre dreams, I unusually remembered a dream from last night. For some reason I was given a parcel to deliver to piglet, and thought I should be able to manage it by going to the cathedral and asking for the organist and his wife. When I got to meet them, I was taken aback that they greeted me by name, although I felt that they should not have recognised me.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016