homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Whereas a hospital near central London sent information about ordering transport for an appointment ten days before said appointment and that information arrived on the morning of the appointment, thus rendering the whole arrangement void. (They used a private delivery firm for the first part of the journey.)

...but think of the money they saved by not having to arrange the transport!

I am an ardent advocate of the well worded, polite but firm Official Complaint, with copies, in this case, to local MP, chairman of the Area Health Board [or whatever it is called these days], etc. If no reply within a reasonable time then letter to the local or national press with copies of previous correspondence.

Make them accountable!

p.s. although the temptation may be great don't sign the letters as Mrs Trellis of North Wales!

[ 27. April 2017, 06:59: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I think I'd pass on the moules, - they're something that I almost wish I liked, but I just don't. Mind you, I've never tried them frites - I've only ever seen them served in their shells, in a lovely garlicky-tomatoey broth.

No, the "frites" are simply French fries "on the side", not cooked in together with the mussels.

I like moules, but unfortunately they are the one food item that doesn't like me (so much for that romantic weekend in Cambridge ...).

A Certain Online Collaborative Encyclopedia considers M-F to "almost" be the national dish of Belgium.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The wheels are now in motion. I'm moving home. Have paid a holding deposit on the new place and given formal notice on the current property.

Been 4 years since I last did this.

Any advice on things I need to check for, do or people I need to inform?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Absolutely no idea. We've been here 35 years.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You are moving from rental to rental, I take it. Cultivate an awareness of everything you do or touch in the next several days, to help you make a list:
Do you pay your own utilities now? Water, electric. If your landlord pays them now, will your new one also? Make sure, so that you aren't caught waterless or without power.
Internet/cell phone/cable TV. Will it all transfer over neatly to your new digs? Do you need to tell them about it?
Stuff you will want to have there and operational, the first day in the new place. Refrigerator, stove, other appliances; if you aren't bringing the old ones and there aren't ones already in the new place, organize.
Will all your furniture/stuff fit into the new place? If not, start downsizing ASAP. At the minimum work out what you are taking with you.
Are you taking your car? Is there parking in the new place? Any other vehicles/large things, bicycles, trailers, caravans, motorboats?
Pets. You will have considered whether the current pet is allowed in the new place. Is it the sort of animal who will move calmly? If you need tranquilizers, talk to your vet now.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mail redirect

You will need to change your address with the bank and all the other important people - but you'll forget a few and mail redirect will mean you get any post you've not remembered to inform.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, good thought. Start saving envelopes in a box or something -- alumni associations, charities, vendors, everyone you'd like to know about the move. All the people who flood you with junk you don't want, of course you ignore.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you drive, you'll have to let the DVLA know for your licence and vehicle registration docs.

If you move far, you'll need to register with a new doctor etc.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the ladies have covered most of the things I was trying to call to mind (having moved recently myself), except possibly finding out when the rubbish-collection day is. When you move, there's always a ton of rubbish to be disposed of, and you don't want to have it lying around for any longer than necessary.

Other than that - good luck, and health to enjoy your new house!

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Make sure you do a proper inspection with the new landlord, and take lots of photos, so you don't get caught out by the 'it was like that before I moved in' ' oh no it wasn't' cycle, which leads to horrible issues with getting your deposit back.

(Master S and the Lovely Girlfriend-now-wife fell into that particular elephant trap [Frown] )

Mrs. S, always on the lookout for elephants

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Check whether you need to take your rat with you or whether they already have one.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Check whether you need to take your rat with you or whether they already have one.

[Killing me]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Be sure to take two (male and female) to be sure they'll breed.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice little animals, rats. Friendly and intelligent, and I love the way they use their tail almost as an extra limb!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure that in the right situation (a laboratory perhaps? [Devil] ) rats are quite delightful, but having battled with mice for most of the time we lived in our last house any creatures of that nature are most unwelcome chez Piglet.

Our former neighbours had three large and rather evil cats, and the local mouse population saw our house, thought "cat-free zone" and in they came. We noticed last night that our neighbours here appear to have a large (and probably evil) cat, so I hope history isn't planning on repeating itself.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Borrow the cat!
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And if the cat won't move, it may be time to confuse it! [Cool]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Borrow a cat, or confuse it, by all means....

....but send the rats to a laboratory?

[Eek!]

Is Extreme Outrage!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry BF - I wouldn't do that.

We have suggested to the people whose cat we looked after that if the need arises, we might ask to borrow her. [Big Grin]

It's a lovely day here (21°) so after a very late brunch at Uncle Pete's Diner (I had what might be the best eggs Benedict I've ever tasted) we drove out of town a bit to see the river dam a few miles from our house.

They've been letting it run very fast over the last few days - there's a football pitch on the riverside not far from the Cathedral which has been flooded to halfway up the goal-posts - and it was certainly coming down at a fair rate.

It's definitely feeling Spring-like - socks have been discarded and toenails painted. [Smile]

[ 29. April 2017, 21:20: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I suppose that's the trouble with all that sn*w - when it eventually melts, it has to go somewhere.

In other news, I was walking back from The Bus Stop today along one of the woodland-ish footpaths I can use, when I espied a very young fox cub approaching in the opposite direction. We stood and looked at each other for a few moments, before the foxling turned and trotted off into the undergrowth. I wonder where his Mum and siblings were? Probably not far off, but not often seen in early afternoon - perhaps the Small One is of an adventurous turn of mind.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

How lovely - I know foxes can cause havoc, but they are rather beautiful, aren't they?

We're beginning to welcome the squirrels back to the grounds of the Cathedral - not that they were ever completely away, but they were much less in evidence over the winter. By mid-summer we might see a dozen or more just in the ten minutes or so while we're waiting for the early service to finish before we go in (not to mention the sudden application of brakes if we see them crossing the road).

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I obviously need to put a warning up on Southern Cross thread. Foxes and rabbits here are pest, foxes catch native wildlife, rabbits destroy pasture land. They also breed, well.like rabbits.

Both brought here so the landed gentry could Hun in spare time.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
...Both brought here so the landed gentry could Hun in spare time.

Superb typo there, Lothlorien!

...but using a noun as a verb...! Declension, please.

On Saturday I went back to see the [Retina] consultant at the eye hospital and she told Himself, in Malayalam so I couldn't understand but he told me later, that she thinks I'm a lovely man - I think this is living proof of the Lincoln Theory that you can fool all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, or something.

Whilst we were there I got her to explain to Himself the dangers of Diabetic Retinopathy as his blood sugar is sometimes more than a little unregulated - I thought he might actually listen to her, which he doesn't to me. How much effect it has all had on his eating pattern has not yet become evident but if he actually wants to see the twins grow up he'd better listen!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

We knew already that you're a lovely man, WW, but it's nice for you to have it confirmed! Sounds good, too, in Malayalam, I guess.

Re foxes, yes, lovely creatures in their own way, but they can be a pest. In the UK, the urban fox has flourished exponentially in the past generation or so, as anyone who has a nice neat lawn can testify...

I live in a semi-rural, semi-urban, riverside setting, so the foxes have plenty of space of their own to play in. Rabbits we don't have in the near vicinity, but they, too, flourish in fields a bit further away from the town.

Mmmm.....casseroled, in a white wine sauce, with plenty of leeks, celery, carrots, and onions. Mmmm.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'll pass on the rabbit casserole; the last time I ate rabbit (in France nearly 40 years ago) I was more than somewhat unwell afterwards. I don't know that the two events were related, but they were related in my mind, which was enough to put me off it for life.

It's not a Bank Holiday here today, but you'd almost think it was - it's tipping with rain ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'll pass on the rabbit casserole; the last time I ate rabbit (in France nearly 40 years ago) I was more than somewhat unwell afterwards. I don't know that the two events were related, but they were related in my mind, which was enough to put me off it for life.

The same with me and strawberries. I was seven when they made me ill and I still can't stand the taste. They look so tasty I try one every year - but, no.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am still trying to persuade myself to eat beetroot for similar reasons. It is forty years and though I remember liking the flavour prior to the event the idea of putting it in my mouth makes me semi-gag.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It's eggs with me. I'm not allergic or owt, but my parents tried to force me to eat a boiled egg on my 6th birthday (rather more than 40 years ago), and I haven't been able to eat one since. I can't even manage them fried, poached, or scrambled. but the little bits you get in egg fried rice are OK.

IJ

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

With me it was a rabbit stifado in Corfu Town [Projectile] It wouldn't have mattered so much but we were on a sailing holiday where Mr S did the brute force, ignorance and navigation, and I did the sailing [Eek!]

So you can keep your rabbit - and your foxes, for that matter!

Mrs. S, no vulpiophile (is that a real word?)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Not quite - it's vulpophile - but 8 out of 10 for a good try.

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm surprised Vulpior hasn't shown up on this thread.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With me it was frog legs. I thought they tasted delicious, but I was sick for two days afterward. Now I can't face one.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a piece in New Scientist a while back about the effect of feeling ill after a particular meal. The writer had been unable to eat watermelon for a long time after his brain associated it with the sickness that he got the same day which he knew was due to sunstroke.
He associated this effect with the observed behaviour of rats, which try new foodstuffs in bitesized helpings, and if subsequently ill, do not eat it again.
I had the same effect the first time I tried a Big Mac after they arrived over here, when I was about to have a migraine, with associated sickness. I couldn't even hear the Ronald advert ditty without feeling squeamish for ages.
I have, however, some rabbit lurking in my freezer for when I am the only person about to eat it. Some people won't eat it without ever having tried it. The only decision is whether I use my Nana's recipe, or the one I got from a company which briefly sold rabbit, camargue rice and elderflower stew.
When I was little, I had eaten it on the farm a lot, without being told what it was. And we went to a restaurant, and Mum asked me if I would like rabbit pie, and I, thinking of Peter, and Benjamin, and Little Grey Rabbit announced "We don't eat rabbit!"
But I do. I can tell that the flavour does have elements which could be unattractive - though it usually needs help from onion and bacon to have any flavour at all.

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We practically lived on rabbits during the war and through the early 50's. Our itinerant greengrocer (who brought masses of delicious Victoria plums in the autumn) used to shoot them on his small holding/orchard and probably elsewhere. We had them roast, casseroled, pie-ed (potato topping) but you had to be careful to spit out the little pieces of shot! My little sister and I had a competition to see who got most shot!

Now, that's put you all off your dinner, hasn't it??? [Snigger]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A most pleasant long weekend was had by the sea at Fécamp. I didn’t know it, but it is a very nice spot, much less touristy than the Normandy seaside towns we usually go to. We even had sun for quite a lot of it. Let it be known that the finest eatery in the thereabouts is run by an English chef peddling a very delicious fish and chips to the French. [Big Grin]

Yesterday it rained in the morning but it stopped in the afternoon and then the wind came up making great big splashy waves. The boat trip on the sea was fully booked so we couldn’t go but it would have been a bit choppy out there in any case…

It gives us a reason to go back, anyway. It’s an excellent weekend destination from Paris. Easy to get to, very enjoyable, and the perfectly acceptable B&B where we stayed only charges €65 a night including breakfast.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You might like to look up the history of the town's connection with Rye in England, and the church bells from that town.

Rye Parish Church

[ 02. May 2017, 11:13: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

And while we all go for a nice weekend in Fecamp, you en rouges could come over and have a nice weekend in Rye (they may even do chish and fips there)!

[Biased]

IJ

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

When I was little, I had eaten it on the farm a lot, without being told what it was. And we went to a restaurant, and Mum asked me if I would like rabbit pie, and I, thinking of Peter, and Benjamin, and Little Grey Rabbit announced "We don't eat rabbit!"
But I do. I can tell that the flavour does have elements which could be unattractive - though it usually needs help from onion and bacon to have any flavour at all.

We ate quite a lot of rabbit when I was little, although I was clueless, as Mother called it Australian chicken. My older brothers, who probably helped trap them, were, on pain of death, forbidden to blab. Some days at the end of the month, it was the only meat we had.

Once, in adulthood, I noticed a restaurant had rabbit pie, and I told the server I would have bunny. She looked horrified.

The cost of rabbit these days appalls me.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

When the animated Watership Down movie came out there was a photo making the rounds, of a window in a butcher shop. The sign said, "You've seen the movie! Now eat the cast!"

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed - "you've read the book, you've seen the film, now eat the pie". [Big Grin]

I can identify with the writer of the article Penny alluded to; I remember having the same unwell feeling after eating delicious coquilles St. Jacques that my mum had cooked for a dinner party, and being put off scallops.

Although I discovered later that the unwellness was actually caused by something completely unrelated to anything I'd eaten, I was still a bit wary of scallops until I had them in the auberge where we stayed in St. Pierre, and they were heavenly; I've since had them in other dishes (notably a seriously yummy pasta dish with scallops, prawns, peppers and a creamy tomato sauce) with no ill effects whatsoever.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A few families here in our village breed rabbits as pets and then food. I don't ever recall eating it as a child though possibly we did. I am fairly sure I never ate it as an adult, unless it was as a young adult and in the school dinners!

I went for a walk this afternoon, on my own! It occurred to me that taking a walking stick might help my balance problem a bit - in fact what it helped more than anything was my confidence which thus helped my balance. What it also showed me is how horribly unfit I am, I only managed a couple of kilometres and my legs were knackered when I got home! I think my body is trying to tell me that I need more exercise.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or more rest! [Two face]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

WW, a couple of kilometres unaided is pretty good going, and I only wish I could manage that far! About half a kilometre in one go is my limit, after which I have to stop, and regroup my forces. Praise be to God, His Blessed Mother, and all His Saints, that's about the distance from Home to Bus Stop.

Keep up the good work - I'm told that pushing oneself just that little bit more each time is the way to get on...maybe I should start to aim for the next Bus Stop along.

IJ

--------------------

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having a delightful grumble-free day since the BBC announced that they won't be giving any General Election coverage today, because of the local elections!
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

There is a family story of my Nana, in the Depression, looking across the kitchen at the cat, lurking under a chair, and declaiming that she had no idea what they were to eat that day. And the cat went out and brought a rabbit back. (My mother, through her life, believed that Puss in Boots originated in real observation of cat behaviour.)

We had a do at school about wartime, with elderly people come in to talk about it, and appropriate food to go with it, and I did a rabbit pie. I took most of it home.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Praise God for small mercies!

[Yipee]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

.....in answer to Polly Plummer's post...

[Hot and Hormonal]

IJ

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just popping back to say thanks for the moving advice. Definitely planning to leave the rats in the old place.

Interesting one about the DVLA, as I only got my provisional license a few weeks ago. Hadn't twigged that it had my address on it.

Mail redirect is a must, and for a whole year. On a previous move, I tried to move my broadband (the provider shall remain unnanmed) only they set up a new account and billed me on it without providing a service while continuing to bill me on the old address. Because I had the mail redirect set up for 3 months, I never got the bills they sent to the old address. It was only 2 years later, after they'd passed the unpaid bills to a debt collection company that the latter tracked my new address and threatened to send the bailiffs round. [Mad]

As for the doctor, I haven't been since 1996.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My cat brings voles and chipmunks home for me. She lays them on the front step, deliberately choosing the spot where the foot descends. She carefully takes her fair share, the right drumette, and doesn't understand why I don't gratefully eat the rest.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We used to have a cat that caught frogs, ate the legs and then left the poor creatures limbless but alive [Projectile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016