homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had quite a busy day today; D's usual lunch-time recital and then the choir sang for the funeral of a lady who used to sing with them (but had been in a care-home for some time - we never knew her). I'd like to think that we gave her a good send-off: she was Welsh, and we gave Cwm Rhondda a goodly amount of gusto. [Smile]

As we weren't going to have time for any lunch, D. had the brilliant idea of cooking a steak, slicing it up and letting it cool overnight and turning it into sandwiches (medium-rare inside bits for me, well-done outside bits for him), and it was the best "roast beef" sandwich I've ever had.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
As we weren't going to have time for any lunch, D. had the brilliant idea of cooking a steak, slicing it up and letting it cool overnight and turning it into sandwiches (medium-rare inside bits for me, well-done outside bits for him), and it was the best "roast beef" sandwich I've ever had.

Or as a lunchtime salad as well, but it's much better cooked to no more than medium-rare. I wouldn't slice it until the next day rather than the night before.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, what a fortunate piglet you are!

*BF wanders away to scrape the green bits off his last bit of cheese*

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My experience is that dogs quite like the green bits!

My dog [may he rest in peace] could hear/smell the unwrapping of just about any sort or condition of cheese from anywhere else in the house.

Lying on my [sadly] virtuous couch this afternoon reading something or other I suddenly noticed that the temperature had plummetted from about 34.5C down to an indicated mere 33C! The sky had darkened and suddenly there were distant flickers of lightning & rumblings of thunder - we got about 30 minutes of a desultory sort of apology for rain and then, well, that was it.

Come on monsoon, we're waiting for you!

What amazes me is that a drop of 1.5 degrees is so very noticeable - it really felt quite a bit cooler. Here in the study in early evening it is recording 32.1C with a cool easterly coming through the screened window behind me.

Will I need bedsocks tonight?

[ 06. May 2017, 13:33: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
11 degrees C here, but very dry - I've had to water my pots. That was a cold job brrrrrrrrr!

❄️💨❄️

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At that temperature I'd be wearing thermals and a fleece jacket!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Same here, Boogie! Standing holding a hose wrapped in a thick fleece in a bitter NE wind is not my idea of fun! I'm not surprised some of my stuff is slow to put in an appearance.

That's not counting some begonias I started off indoors, who are now romping away on the utility room windowsill and likely to be fed with washing liquid if I can't get them out soon!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
11 degrees C here, but very dry - I've had to water my pots.

Join the club!

But it warmed up a tiny bit later, and we had a nice and not-too-bracing walk on the beach at Porthcawl.

[ 06. May 2017, 16:34: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off the subject a bit, but I was surprised and pleased to see some retro cows today, with actual horns, like I used to see when young! (Reminded by the Dr Who thread.)

[ 06. May 2017, 16:47: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Retro cows"--now that's a phrase you don't see that often. I shall treasure it next my heart (having recently compared myself to one at work...).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Come on monsoon, we're waiting for you! ...

It absolutely chucked rain here last night - would you like some? [Biased]

Boogie and Nicodemia - are you sure you're not telling little porkies about having to water your gardens? Where you live???

[Devil]

We're on our way to go to supper with a couple in the choir - the ones whose house and cat we looked after. I wonder if Tabby will remember us - should we bring a bag of cat-treats for her? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Probably not (WW can answer for himself!);
2. Parts of the UK are experiencing a horrible, cold, dry, north-easterly wind, so vulnerable tubs and pots do indeed need watering;
3. Most definitely.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep, here too. It's been grey and horrible here today, but no rain, only wind. The only water to fall out of the sky in the last fortnight or so has been in the form of hailstones.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Today's wind is the very Breath of Sauron, blowing straight from Mordor, and presaging doom and despair come June 8th....

IJ

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That sounds like fun but I shall have to miss it as, sadly, I shall be stuck here in Paradise!

Ain't life unfair?

I opted out on the bedsocks BUT I had to turn the ceiling fan off about 05:30 as the temperature had dropped to 27 [point something], I almost pulled a light cotton covering over myself!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it's amazing how the human body can adapt to temperatures and humidity - at least to a certain extent.

WW, did you gradually get accustomed to the heat (or: mere warmth, as you might call it!), or were you at ease from day one?

Really interested! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I think it's amazing how the human body can adapt to temperatures and humidity - at least to a certain extent.

I can't speak for Wodders, but my own experience is that it is gradual. I've lived in central Arizona over half my life now. My first summer here I thought I'd gone to Hell (not the Ship's Hell, that didn't exist yet!). I've adjusted. It was 107F (42C) Friday -- no big deal, since it was also dry. What I've heard is that when we move to hotter climates our capillaries gradually move closer to the surface which somehow helps us to deal with the heat. However, I am now MUCH more sensitive to the cold. I seriously considered a move to Canada after the events of the past six months, but I don't think I could stand the winters, and I'm too old to go through the gradual adjustment thing again. (Hoping the political climate, instead, makes a change.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had a v. enjoyable evening with our friends - good company, good wine and excellent food. We did bring a bag of treats for Tabby but I doubt that she really noticed, although when she was lifted up level with my face, she seemed quite happy for me to stroke her and say hello. [Smile]

Regarding adjusting to different climates, when we moved here from Newfoundland we were warned that the summers would be hotter ( [Eek!] ) and the winters colder (somewhat less [Eek!] ), but I don't feel that I've adjusted too badly. While the winter here is more bitterly cold, the summer heat doesn't seem quite so sticky, but that may be due to air-conditioning being more universal.

I'll be interested to see how the "heat-exchanger" thingy in the new château works in the summer - I hope its cooling feature is as efficient as its warming one.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
THE SUN HAS COME OUT.

IT'S WARM(ish).

I'VE WATERED THE POTS AND MOWED THE LAWN.

Bet it won't last!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, of course it won't, now you've gone and done all that!

[Razz]

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pleasantly warm, sat outside to read my book - garden watered again!. My son has just sent me photos of a rainy picnic on the Rhine, not far from where he lives.

This makes a change, they are usually the ones sitting in the sun ☀️

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was thinking of you yesterday, Boogie, as I was reading the paper. There was this article about a dog trained to search for lost cats! Very impressive.
Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I was thinking of you yesterday, Boogie, as I was reading the paper. There was this article about a dog trained to search for lost cats! Very impressive.

Very clever - and she's called Molly too [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:

WW, did you gradually get accustomed to the heat (or: mere warmth, as you might call it!), or were you at ease from day one?

Really interested! [Smile]

I have never really had a problem with the heat or the humidity, with me the adjustment was pretty quick but then this is a pretty consistent area unlike, say, Punjab where the winter is bitterly cold and the summer is like an oven. It is rare for the temperature to exceed 37C or go below the early 20s.

Being retired may help, of course.

[Biased]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back from a few days in London where the weather was apparently much better than in Paris.

Emmanuel Macron's cavalcade apparently drove right underneath our window last night (his HQ is just round the corner) and we missed him. We spotted him on the telly a couple of hundred yards further up the road. I'm slightly annoyed about missing out on this little bit of history. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've just booked my flights to go to Orkney in June; my sister had the brilliant idea that she and I should go up to see Dad (it may be a "last chance" sort of thing, as he's 92 and very frail [Tear] ) and time the trip to coincide with the St. Magnus Festival, which I was very involved with in its early days, but haven't been able to go to for nearly 30 years.

It's the festival's 40th anniversary, and also the 900th anniversary of the martyrdom of St. Magnus, so there'll be some interesting things going on.

v. excited piglet [Yipee]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

My sister is on the Northlink ferry, Orkney-bound, at this very moment. She has booked a week's holiday (also visiting those other islands further north).
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the Scotland thread I was wistful in my recollection of being in the Orkneys. Just magic. Once I was there, I thought that I should dedicate a vacation to include the Shetlands and the Faroes (who recently beat Latvia!).

Piglet, that sounds like a wonderful idea. And the St Magnus festival looks like a lot of fun.

BT, which more northern islands is your sister visiting?

(Aaaah, a bit early for a dram of Highland Park, here. Which reminds me, does Scapa Flow whisky still exist?)

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Scapa whisky is indeed still flourishing, if that's the one you mean, although I believe a bottle of 12-year old will set you back a couple of hundred quid.

The next archipelago north of Orkney is, of course, Shetland. Even further northerer are the Faroes...

IJ

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Doesn't it get a bit cool up there?

Piglet, that sounds like a fab idea, have a wonderful time when June comes round.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I didn't dare mention the Sh+tl+nds to Piglet ...

Her trip next month does sound marvellous - though possibly tinged with sepia.

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Downsized my car today. Am now the proud owner of a Skoda Citigo. It boasts 4 wheels. Can get from 0 - 60 in 10 minutes. Has a reverse gear. Straight swop as when a man goes into gararge and says; " I need a pair of windscreen wipers for my Skoda". Salesman replies " That sounds like a fair swop".
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Downsized my car today. Am now the proud owner of a Skoda Citigo. It boasts 4 wheels. Can get from 0 - 60 in 10 minutes. Has a reverse gear. Straight swop as when a man goes into gararge and says; " I need a pair of windscreen wipers for my Skoda". Salesman replies " That sounds like a fair swop".
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Nowt wrong with Skodas!

However, here's a slightly more impressive example of their work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aytGovwLUyo

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Fabia, held for several years, is probably the best car I have had. It responds to controls well, accelerates the way I want to, corners well, and doesn't get anything wrong with it. When I bought it, it was supposed to be the best small car.
I will not hear anything against Skoda.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aha, a Skoda Railigo. Very nice indeed! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Aha, a Skoda Railigo. Very nice indeed! [Smile]

Would that be the 16 valve option with eight in the engine and eight in the radio?
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I didn't dare mention the Sh+tl+nds to Piglet ...

As long as you don't mention it to a sheep.

Shetland - where men are men and sheep are worried ...

[Devil] [Killing me] [Devil]

[pedant alert ON]
It's never "The Orkneys" - it's just "Orkney". Apparently "The Shetlands" is acceptable, but I've no idea why.
[/pedant alert OFF]

eta: Ever since Skoda was taken over by VW and became respectable, my sister has sworn by them*, and they do seem to be very good cars.

* D's sister had a pre-VW Skoda, which was rather more sworn at than sworn by. [Big Grin]

[ 09. May 2017, 21:38: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Downsized my car today. Am now the proud owner of a Skoda Citigo.

I've had a VW Up! (same car, different label) for two years and am happy with it. Unfortunately the Skoda didn't have exactly the spec. combinations I wanted.
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
The next archipelago north of Orkney is, of course, Shetland. Even further northerer are the Faroes...

IJ

There are Orcadian islands, inhabited and not, to the north of Mainland Orkney. Hence my question
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There are indeed; my Orcadian roots are from Westray, which is one of the northern isles.

Apparently the Vikings and other northerly seafarers did their navigation by sight-lines: from the northernmost tip of North Ronaldsay (Orkney's most northerly island) you could see the Fair Isle; from there you could see the southern tip of Shetland; from its most northerly point you could see the Faroes, and from its most northerly point you could see south-eastern Iceland.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Point taken, but I assumed from BT's post that his sister was bound for an archipelago other than, and more northerly than, Orkney.

[Roll Eyes]

IJ

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

"Islands" was vague. "Archipelago" would not have been.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The world has gone mad!

This morning I woke about my usual time - 7 or 8 -ish[a.m.!] - to a thunderstorm!

This is Kerala folks where, if we have a thunderstorm [and it is now the season] they occur in the afternoon or evening - we do not have thunderstorms for breakfast; this is the first I can recall in nearly 20 years here. Even the local folks are sort of mildly surprised.

Hey, it's rain and thus it is welcome, any end to this drought is welcome, but mornings should ideally arrive quietly NOT bashing their way into my consciousness with such brutality!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor WW. [Eek!]

I love watching/listening to thunderstorms, as long as it's from the safety of Indoors (or at least in a car). We've had a few fairly spectacular ones since we moved here, mostly in the hottest part of the summer, when they were particularly welcome for cutting through the humidity and clearing the air.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Nephew Person [late 20s], came to visit yesterday and weighed himself whilst here - he clocked 74 kgs - then I weighed myself for the first time in ages and, despite having no exercise for months and eating my usual amounts of food, I only registered 76 kgs!

Take that, nephew person!

[Cool] [Yipee] [Cool]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, WW! [Overused]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I looked at my phone this morning just to check if there were any messages or other stuff that needed my attention and the weather forecast on the front page predicted a:

quote:
Drenching thunderstorm in the afternoon
I so hope they are right!

We had a big and long lasting thunderstorm last night but it was mainly just bluster, hardly any rain at all. It would be so nice, after a few lean years, to have a really decent monsoon.

Anyway I have warned TPTB that, if we need any shopping today, we do it before lunch rather than after.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
I love watching/listening to thunderstorms, as long as it's from the safety of Indoors (or at least in a car).

We saw some amazing ones when we lived in Africa. One afternoon a lightning bolt struck the ground just a few yards from the house - what was amazing is that the associated electrical field caused the fluorescent light in the kitchen to come on for a few seconds even though we had no electricity supply at that time of day! We ourselves felt safe as the house had a metal roof which dispersed any charge.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
I love watching/listening to thunderstorms, as long as it's from the safety of Indoors (or at least in a car).

We saw some amazing ones when we lived in Africa. One afternoon a lightning bolt struck the ground just a few yards from the house - what was amazing is that the associated electrical field caused the fluorescent light in the kitchen to come on for a few seconds even though we had no electricity supply at that time of day! We ourselves felt safe as the house had a metal roof which dispersed any charge.
I was brought up in South Africa and used to enjoyed the nightly thunderstorms. My grandma didn't - she used to hide under the stairs!

Edited to add - we didn't have stairs, it was a bungalow, but we called the broom cupboard 'under the stairs' 🤣

[ 13. May 2017, 12:19: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016