homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Yes, it's the humidity and mugginess that are so enervating.

Thunderstorm, anyone? Clears the air nicely!

IJ

Not always. There are times I've wanted a thunderstorm and got one, only to find it was a dry thunderstorm; no rain at all. Better to have a proper downpour along with it...

Virga sounds like something from Ecclesiantics, and Google thought I was looking for little blue pills [Eek!] , but it is actually precipitation that evaporates before it hits the ground. We frequently see it around here where the air is so hot and dry.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, Sipech is right, of course, and A Proper English Thunderstorm should consist of rain as well as the noise and pyrotechnics.

Sometimes, we just get the rumbles and flashes, but I doubt if it ever gets quite hot enough here to produce Virga...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ha! On such an occasion, the Waving Of Liturgical Flags/Banners/Whatever would help cool the Masses (pardon the pun).

IJ

Wish I'd thought of that. If we were on the continent, we probably would have had more ladies with fans. I'm away for a few days this week and have packed mine right next to my brolly.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several times in the last week the weather forecast has predicted thunderstorms but all we have seen has been bright sunshine!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday was just a warm-up (no pun intended) for today when we are expecting 36°. This is the tipping point which gets out of liveable into highly unpleasant territory. The worst thing is getting on the public transport at about 6 pm when the carriage is packed, people stink and if you’re really lucky, someone passes out, whether from the heat or the smell I’m not sure [Biased] .

Top cooling drink: stick a jug of water in the fridge with a large bunch of mint in it. If you’re feeling particularly posh add a load of rose petals (if supermarket flowers, wash them thoroughly first to get the pesticides off). Rose takes a bit longer to infuse than mint.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son cycled 206 miles from Heidelberg to somewhere in France yesterday ( miles not Km!) yesterday. Today he's doing 100+ miles to Bruges where he'll stay overnight, then the ferry to Hull, then over the Pennines home.

Will he make it without heatstroke? We'll see.

I refuse to worry. Having a son with ADHD makes for tough Mums! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Yesterday was just a warm-up (no pun intended) for today when we are expecting 36°. This is the tipping point which gets out of liveable into highly unpleasant territory. The worst thing is getting on the public transport at about 6 pm when the carriage is packed, people stink and if you’re really lucky, someone passes out, whether from the heat or the smell I’m not sure [Biased] .

Top cooling drink: stick a jug of water in the fridge with a large bunch of mint in it. If you’re feeling particularly posh add a load of rose petals (if supermarket flowers, wash them thoroughly first to get the pesticides off). Rose takes a bit longer to infuse than mint.

Can you still smoke on Le Metro? I can remember the smell of sweat, garlic and Gauloises from my last visit to Paris 35 years ago!

btw, we put slices of lemon or lime in the cold water too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nah, smoking's been banned for ages. First for fire safety reasons, and now because it's banned in all public places.

The metro still stinks in the summer tho.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago I spent the month of April in Paris, and as I recall, the Metro did not smell all that nice then.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As you all know I am spoilt completely rotten - I have no complaints at all.

[Big Grin]

Yesterday, after a rather lovely luncheon Himself brought me a dish of freshly peeled and diced fresh mango [Neelam, my favourite variety] with a large scoop of a rather nice vanilla ice cream. It was completely splendid.

[Cool]

I LIKE being spoilt!

...and I'm old enough that it will have no negative effects.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, growing old disgracefully! Fun, isn't it?

[Cool]

Fresh mango and ice-cream really is proof that God loves us, no?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drizzly rain here today and it feels cool at 23 degrees!

I think I'll pop to the garden centre with the pup and get a little lunch there. I avoided going during the heatwave as it would have been heaving [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Whereas no one here is heading outside unless they strictly have to for the purposes of avoiding heat exhaustion. 37° yesterday and oh yippee today we also have a pollution spike. It should start cooling down from tomorrow on and then we might all get some sleep. True story: all the windows are open. Neighbours are yelling at 1:00 am in a language we don’t understand. Me: they’re having a blazing row. Husband en rouge: No, they’re just animated and talking loud. Some time later the police turn up. Next morning the concierge of the building informs us that they were threatening each other with knives [Eek!] .

This weekend we are heading to London for a bit of family reunion (my brother is over from the US and my parents are also coming down for the day) and it is going to be much cooler. On Sunday afternoon we are going to Fortnum’s for tea, posh like.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having been 31 degrees yesterday it's just 16 degrees this morning and I feel absolutely freezing!

Weather shouldn't be allowed to do this kind of thing!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Ah, growing old disgracefully! Fun, isn't it?

[Cool]

Fresh mango and ice-cream really is proof that God loves us, no?

IJ

Fresh mango and ice cream brought to me in my bedroom makes it even better!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O, you Sybarite, you!

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's a tough life but somebody has to do it.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, but why you? Why not ME?

WANT MANGO AND ICE-CREAM NOW!

Ahem.

I do apologise, and will get my pyjamas....

IJ

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Normally I only buy fresh mango at this time of the year because imported Indian/Pakistani fruit is available from market stalls (in boxes of 4 surrounded by shredded tissue paper - I have no idea why, they just are), but they've been conspicuous by their absence this year. Sainsbury's have had a sale on Brazilian mangoes which are usually rock-hard until they're black, but I've bought several now and their pretty good (for something that's been shipped 1000s of miles).

ION, I'm so glad it's cooled down today. I'm at a work thing and it's not weather to be concentrating.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, fresher today here, too. The thunderstorm this morning, however, (after doom-laden forecasts, and weather warnings) consisted of just 3 rumbles, 1 flash, and about 3 minutes' worth of rain.

I want my money back...

IJ

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where are you? That sounds like ours. I had just got my camera on to the tripod* but had not removed the lens cap when we got our only flash. chiz.

There were loads of strikes elsewhere, according to the lightning map.

*In my living room with the French window open, under cover. I am not going out with a tripod in a thunderstorm.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...WANT MANGO AND ICE-CREAM NOW! ...

IJ

I was thinking last night that it can actually be improved with the addition of a [not too large] spoonful of Mascarpone cheese - I haven't tried it this year as I have deliberately not bought any Mascarpone as it is just too delicious and far too damaging to my arteries - they only sell 500 gram tubs here which is just too tempting for my gluttony.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You haven't tried it this year? Liar, liar, pants on fire!

[One should always ensure that one has placed one's fingers properly [Frown]

[ 24. June 2017, 13:46: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I haven't tried it since Pete left, which was before the mango season in Kerala really got underway.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hmm....not sure about the Cheese, but might try it one day....

(BTW, Penny, I'm in North Kent).

IJ

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So'm I!
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does Mascarpone count as cheese? It's less cheesy than Philadelphia, which needs to be described as cheese for anyone to realise that it is cheese.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm only going by what it says on the tub - made from double cream and lemon juice [and other stuff?] so it is curd based.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to the websites, mascarpone is a soft Italian curd cheese. I think it tastes like a slightly sharp cream and as I am not a fan of cream, it is not high on my list of preferred foods. I dislike cream so much I will substitute soya cream into recipes and the thought of spoiling good fruit by pouring cream over it is a Bad Idea™ in my book.

Mango, however, is much loved and I have been eating the cheap mangoes I've found, sliced off the stone, over the sink if they are very juicy. Eating it with ice cream does not appeal. Mango sorbet, however, is a different temptation entirely.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or mango lassi, great on a hot afternoon.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"What's that, Lassi(e)? Stuck in an old mineshaft?" [Devil]

I'm a great fan of Lassi(e). Although those drinks I get in the shops around here contain waaay too much sugar, for my taste. It's an unpleasant lassi-faire attitude.

Sorry, it's too warm to make anything but silly remarks!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Someone mentioned mango sorbet....

WANT MANGO SORBET NOW !

Mmmmmmmmmmm.................................

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's a few years since we had the ice cream machine out of the cupboard but I may mention Mango Sorbet to The Management and see what reaction I get - it is a complete doddle to make and is surely of the Gods! Adding a squirt or two of lemon juice adds so much to it as well.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have been eating my first cherries, locally sourced, over the last two days. From an orchard just off the A2 if anyone's interested, they produce a sequence of varieties over the season, mostly dark coloured. I can get through a pound a day (minus the ones that go off before they reach the mouth).
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello all - I'm back. [Smile]

I had a Seriously Good Time™ over the Pond, and especially enjoyed the bits of the St. Magnus Festival that my sister and I managed to get to. I'd forgotten how dark it doesn't get in Orkney at this time of year - at one point I was heading off to bed at about one in the morning, and there were still patches of light in the sky. I love Northerly Places™.

One of the Festival events was a locally-produced opera in the Cathedral telling the story of St. Magnus (whose martyrdom happened 900 years ago this year). Although we could see practically nothing (by the time the tickets went on sale to the general public, the only seats available were in the side-aisles), we could hear, and what we heard was very excellent indeed. It finished with the cast (monks, Vikings, pilgrims etc.) processing round the church carrying what purported to be St. Magnus's casket, and singing the 12th-century Hymn to St. Magnus (it should be much slower than in the link) and it really was one of the most moving things I've ever seen - there were tears streaming down the porcine cheeks!

Other concerts (also v.v. good) featured the Norwegian Radio Orchestra with the local Festival Chorus; and a group of singers from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.

There was also rather a lot of eating, including the best fish & chips in the world, Orkney patties and some v. good raspberry sorbet.

Fortunately the heatwave only got further north than Hadrian's Wall while we were in Orkney, although it finished with quite a good thunderstorm in Edinburgh the day after we got back there.

Back to old clothes and porridge* now ... [Big Grin]

* not literally [Projectile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like a lovely trip Piglet. I do like long light evenings though it gets more or less dark before 10.00 here .

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

That sounds awesome, Piglet. something that'll stick in the brain for a while.

Penny S, I'm so jealous. It's almost easier in these parts to find a decent mango than home-grown cherries. I'm having cherries now, but they're out of a bottle (with added kirsch, won at a raffle).

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fancy harvesting them off the wild cherry tree outside my flat. You will have to come soon as the woodpigeons are eating their fill. At least this year they waited until they were ripe. You will need to bring a long ladder and I have never tried one.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

With all this talk of mango sorbet, and raspberry sorbet, I wonder if cherry sorbet is possible? I can feel a Visit to the Supermarket coming on....

Welcome back, O Sister Piglet - glad to hear you had a good trip to Northern Parts!

IJ

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Fancy harvesting them off the wild cherry tree outside my flat. You will have to come soon as the woodpigeons are eating their fill. At least this year they waited until they were ripe. You will need to bring a long ladder and I have never tried one.

Jengie

I'm pretty sure getting between pigeons and food is never a good idea.

My Dad does have a tree in his garden, but it's a not-very-established patio tree and you'd be lucky to get a half dozen fruit.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
There was also rather a lot of eating, including the best fish & chips in the world

I thought those came from Whitby (although I'm not sure I trust this particular food critic anyway!)
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The farm is not doing well this year, though. They lost all of the first crop, Early Rivers, were closed between Wednesday and Saturday last week, and are closed again until Wednesday. Very frustrating for them as well as the people who drive out to find the gate shut.

I think that we are at the edge of the range where cherries are comfortable growing - the Hereford fruit area is further north but still within range. It applies to apples as well. Apparently this means that we get good quality fruit, but it is more susceptible to weather problems.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I was in London this weekend. I think I have found the nicest hotel in the whole place. It belongs to the university but they have one section (four adjoining Victorian houses) they have turned into a four-star hotel for the general public. For some reason (presumably they were overbooked) we got upgraded to a suite. I swear it was bigger than our apartment – bedroom, bathroom and a living room big enough for three sofas and a dining table for four people, all in very charming tasteful traditional British style. It overlooks a huge garden and it’s so quiet. You’d never imagine you were twenty minutes’ walk away from the West End. This is going to be our go-to for all future London trips (although they presumably won’t give us the suite next time).

Most of the weekend involved eating. We started with lunch at the Tate Britain with my parents and brother and sister-in-law, and I can report that the restaurant is most excellent. On Sunday morning English breakfast was eaten and then we went for afternoon tea at Fortnum’s. It was very tasty and rather huge. (Also Piccadilly is the mostly stupidly numbered street in the world. The numbers go from 1-150 on one side and 151-230 on the other. Also if you put it in your GPS you end up at completely the wrong spot. What is that all about?)

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

You should not be driving along Piccadilly - you should be sauntering, in a rather Gilbert-and-Sullivan or Oscar Wilde mode.

From Patience by G and S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO-9GjJ-bJg

Glad you had a Good Stay in the capital of Headless-Chicken-Land, though. It's encouraging that people from Foreign Parts are not being put off by all the Awful Happenings of recent times.

IJ

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Sunday morning we went to church. Comment from the pastor: “this morning I flicked the news on because I thought I’d better check there hadn’t been another disaster. But it’s just the usual chaos, so it’s all fine.”

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Much the same as my thoughts when I log on to BBC News each morning!

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Confide the name of that hotel! I am not going back to Britain this year, but some year I will.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Confide the name of that hotel! I am not going back to Britain this year, but some year I will.

Me too! I am going to England, but not to London, this year. But I think I'm due for a London stay again in 2018, and the place I've stayed the last two times has gone a bit downhill. (If you don't want to post it here, please send me a pm.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Please, Cross-Pond Dwellers! Do come....you're all welcome, as long as you don't bring The Odious Orange Ozymandias with you in your luggage.

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Please, Cross-Pond Dwellers! Do come....you're all welcome, as long as you don't bring The Odious Orange Ozymandias with you in your luggage.

IJ

Are you kidding? I'm crossing the Pond to get away from him!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016