homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Ms. Rice should be on her way soon (the sooner the better IMHO). I do hope whoever replaces her will try to restore the Globe to what it was.

Wow! I really like Michelle Terry as an actor and am anxious to see how she does as a director.
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

posted by Arachnid in Elmet

I'm all in favour of having a birth week/end instead of just a day.

Would you say that if you were pregnant ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In other news, I noticed on my Walk through the Wood to the Bus Stop this morning that we are in for a Bumper Crop of Blackberries this year!

Mmmmmmm.....Blackberry and Apple Pie........

My old Mum used to make a wonderful B & A pie, with so much Butter in the pastry that it would be illegal today...... [Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Around here the wild critters get them all, unless you net them.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are so many blackberry bramble bushes to be found growing wild in this part of Ukland that I guess there's plenty for everyone - wild or tame!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
quote:

Hmm, probably not [Biased] I'm definitely in favour of as long a celebration as you can milk from the situation though.

I shall be following Boogie's example for my own significant birthday later in the year which will last a minimum of 3 weeks.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crikey, A-in-E, you must have the constitution of an ox! [Big Grin]

We get nice sweet blackberries here (in the supermarket - I've never seen them growing wild here, although that may be because I've never looked). Just as they come, with some ice-cream - perfect pudding.

Did a spot of Retail Therapy this afternoon and got a pair of sandals to replace my falling-to-bits favourite ones for $45 (£27) including tax.

Their original price was $120 (about £74) before tax. [Yipee]

Getting shoes + saving money = happy piglet

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blackberries are a noxious weed here. They, and those growing them, may be shot on sight. That does not stop their being delicious and if you know of some that have not been poisoned, it's worth all the risks of snakes hiding in the thicket to pick them.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
quote:

Hmm, probably not [Biased] I'm definitely in favour of as long a celebration as you can milk from the situation though. [...]
Milk, eh? So pregnancy after all, then! [Two face]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of which: milk and blackberries go together rather nicely, in my opinion. May need some sugar top-up, but they colour the moo juice in a rather pleasant way. But then, I'm easily amused. (Which you knew, of course.)

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Crikey, A-in-E, you must have the constitution of an ox! [Big Grin]

I may pencil in some time for work and sleep during the partying.

On the subject of blackberries, we too have a bumper crop. What's new this year, though, is the size. Many are closer to golf ball than pea. No complaints mind.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
quote:

Hmm, probably not [Biased] I'm definitely in favour of as long a celebration as you can milk from the situation though. [...]
Milk, eh? So pregnancy after all, then! [Two face]
[Eek!] I hope you don't know something I don't, Wesley J!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had the first berries from my trained bramble, large, as usual; sweet, as usual; but lacking the usual depth of flavour. I think growing in the heavy rain may be responsible. Not sure what to do with them, as my guest can't deal with the pips. The other day I made some bramble fool with a previous years' lot from the freezer, run through a mouli, but that seems an awful waste of quite a lot of the substance of the things.

This bramble has an interesting history. At my last place, a neighbour brought in sacks of soil improver from her place of work, the Longreach Sewage Farm, and up sprang this bramble, with gorgeous fruit, and a ferocious growth habit. The adventitious stems are as thick as your thumb, and grow inches in a day. The plant spread along behind six garages, and I was the only resident who made regular use of it. When I moved, I took three of the layered plants, and one took in my new garden. This year, I had to cut the whole thing back to allow my neighbour to put in a new fence, and to correct the idiotic route the cable TV person had chosen for their ducting, right through the middle of the stems. According to the books, in the first year, a bramble puts out primocanes which do not bear fruit, and then in the second year, side branches which do. This one hasn't read the books, and is bearing with abandon. Practically all the berries in a cluster, ripe all at once. Lovely.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having muttered earlier that I missed seeing many of the actors who had been regulars performing at Shakespeare's Globe, I saw the RSC's production of Queen Anne at the Theatre Royal Haymarket last night and noted various familiar faces. It's a new play by Helen Edmundson, exploring the relationship between Queen Anne and Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Malborough. It is a fascinating exploration of the politics of the day, both the scurrilous street broadsheets penned by Defoe and Swift and the machinations of power. Helen Edmundson also wrote The Heresy of Love which was amazing.

It's the school holidays and I am not working late, so have booked theatre tickets all this week. Monday night I saw Our Ladies of Perpetual Succour, which was energetic fun. Six Catholic choir girls on a trip from their home in Oban to Edinburgh for a competition. Lots of energy and singing, from a cappella choir settings to rock numbers. There were a lot of references to Oban - which amused me as I've stayed there a few times, mostly on my way out to islands various, so I've climbed Pulpit Hill and McCaig's Tower, seen Fingal's Dog Stone on the way up to Dunollie Castle, all of which were mentioned.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S
I've had the first berries from my trained bramble, large, as usual; sweet, as usual; but lacking the usual depth of flavour. I think growing in the heavy rain may be responsible.

I think you're right. When I lived in New Hampshire, my daughters used to pick the Concord grapes that grew along the roadside. When the season was unusually dry, those grapes had an extremely strong flavor.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need to learn more about training brambles - we have one which I 'allow to flower' and get some lovely blackberries from.

I used to grow raspberries but they s]are so cheap to buy frozen it hardly seems worth the effort. I think I'll give the ground over to blackberries [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S
I've had the first berries from my trained bramble, large, as usual; sweet, as usual; but lacking the usual depth of flavour. I think growing in the heavy rain may be responsible.

I think you're right. When I lived in New Hampshire, my daughters used to pick the Concord grapes that grew along the roadside. When the season was unusually dry, those grapes had an extremely strong flavor.

Moo

Yes, this is true. Talk to wine-makers and they'll talk for hours about how it has to rain at the right time, early, to get the vines going but then it ought to be dry as the grapes ripen, to concentrate the flavors, bring out the terroir, etc.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Perhaps, Penny, you could make some nice blackberry WINE for your guest. No pips, and conducive to sleep...

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heaven? Bread and butter pudding heavily laced with blackberries [Overused]

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I need to learn more about training brambles - we have one which I 'allow to flower' and get some lovely blackberries from.

I used to grow raspberries but they s]are so cheap to buy frozen it hardly seems worth the effort. I think I'll give the ground over to blackberries [Smile]

Give the ground over to blackberries? The Pasture Protection Board would be on to you pretty quick smart. A landholder faces hefty fines if blackberries are not sprayed or otherwise kept in check. We used to pick them an hour in from the main road on the long weekend in January. But yes, a noxious weed and as happily regarded as another import, rabbits.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
... it's worth all the risks of snakes hiding in the thicket to pick them.

Er, no it isn't. Nothing would be worth that, not even bottles of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc growing on the bushes, ready-chilled.

[Eek!]

We took a wee run out into the country this afternoon and on the way back discovered a nice little farm shop (with v. cute baby donkey) and really rather nice veggies, from which soup may well ensue.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, snakes are easily frightened of noise and commotion. Common pracrice in bush round here to get at blackberries is to whack the thicket with planks to get it low enough to stand on said planks to reach in to pick the fruit. Some snakes may resist such discouragemnt, but most would have fled. That is, if they were ever under the bushes.

There are not nearly as many sightings of snakes as non-Australians may like to think there are. In years of owning acreage in basically bush country we killed one. Just one and I did that only because we were having lots of children as visitors that day and I could not pursuade it to go elsewhere, so i killed it. (Killing snakes is illegal in NSW.) It was a red bellied black snake. We saw a couple of brown snakes and just once we saw an adder asleep in the sun on a warm rock in a dry creek bed. I am sure there were others but with three young boys I had no problem in allowing them to climb and explore.

To be on the safe side, we did have a dedicated snake first aid kit, never needed, although ordinary first aid was often called for. The worst thing that happened was that a young friend of my sons was climbing around in superfine sand or dust deposited probably centuries before in a cave on top of a mountain. He lost his asthma puffer and we had to drive for over an hour to nearest township to buy him another. I often think about future archeologists finding the puffer under even more layers of sand.

[ 26. July 2017, 23:54: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was brought up in South Africa and we carried snake bite kits everywhere. We rarely saw them but often found their shed skins in the sheds and garage.

I rather like walking the dogs without having to think about snakes or other beasts that bite!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
[...] We rarely saw them but often found their shed skins in the sheds and garage. [...]

And that's why we call sheds sheds. [Two face]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The official way of training is to drive a row of 150 cm stakes into the ground, a couple of metres apart, and run wires - perhaps two, one along the top and one half way down, and then encourage the adventitious shoots along the wires with suitable fixings. Bit like grape vines, I suppose.

My way is to fix trellis to the fence, and fix the shoots which grow in a direction which allows it to the trellis, and cut back any which grow outwards and won't turn back.

Then, when they die back, cut them down near the roots.

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope only the vegetables were bought for the soup, and not the donkey.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
The official way of training is to drive a row of 150 cm stakes into the ground, a couple of metres apart, and run wires - perhaps two, one along the top and one half way down, and then encourage the adventitious shoots along the wires with suitable fixings. Bit like grape vines, I suppose.

My way is to fix trellis to the fence, and fix the shoots which grow in a direction which allows it to the trellis, and cut back any which grow outwards and won't turn back.

Then, when they die back, cut them down near the roots.

Thanks, they seem to grow virtually all year round but just fruit in the autumn [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mum used to make Summer Pudding with blackberries. I can't say it was popular as far as I was concerned - cold, soggy white bread, yuck! [Projectile]

We have brambles in the garden but growing where they shouldn't so we keep cutting them back - hence, no fruit. As a child I did love eating them with milk but not enough to go out in search of them now.

In other news, the decorating chez Nen is making progress. The lounge is done - all went swimmingly until it came to choosing the curtains and we took ages to agree, so what's there is fine but a compromise as far as I'm concerned. Now we are packed into that room and the dining room is bare-walled and empty save for the workmate bench, stepladder, various tools and rags, and a radio.

Nen - hoping for a return to normal before Christmas.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son who is an ace cook and keen forager has made a rather nice blackberry and elderberry summer pudding in the past, but then I rather like soggy white bread.

Mental, hope the dining room is finished rather sooner than Christmas.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
I hope only the vegetables were bought for the soup, and not the donkey.

Absolutely! [Eek!]

I'm sorry Loth, but one sighting of a snake would be one too many. [Help]

I'm glad D. isn't reading this over my shoulder, as he'd be heading for the hills!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

A lot depends on the bread - I get the best bread from the local baker, rather than sliced, and its sogginess is a better sort of sogginess. I have a visitor from California lined up for mid September (he may be staying in a B&B rather than here, but he is really looking forward to the summer pudding.
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I said:
quote:
Mental, hope the dining room is finished rather sooner than Christmas.]
Nenya - so sorry, my ipad autocorrected your name and I didn't spot it till too late [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 28. July 2017, 07:08: Message edited by: Sarasa ]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night I went to buy candles for a dinner party chez rouge* and behold! It was the end of the sales. And for the princely sum of €4 they were selling a Cuddly. Darth. Vader. My friends, I give you the coolest object ever created by a human being. The cute snuggly adorable little Lord of Fear and Darkness is currently sitting on husband en rouge’s pillow where he will never stop being awesome [Big Grin] .

*On the menu:
Entrée: foie gras served with cherry chutney and fennel
Main course: scallops sautéed with vanilla and flambéed with jenever, served on a bed of leeks with a truffle oil vinaigrette and topped with truffle flakes
Dessert courtesy of Cyril Lignac
Coffee and chocolates (for which we also thank Monsieur Lignac)
Wine selection: aperitif: Cherry Kir Royal; a Gewürztraminer for the entrée and dessert; a 2014 Chablis for the main course**; a variety of digestifs available at the whim of the guests

** there is a 2015 in the cellar which is even excellenter. But it would be a crime to drink it now.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
I said:
quote:
Nenya - so sorry, my ipad autocorrected your name and I didn't spot it till too late [Hot and Hormonal]
I didn't snigger, nooooo - not me!

[Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
I said:
quote:
I didn't snigger, nooooo - not me!
[Killing me]

I too hope the dining room is finished well before Christmas, but it takes us literally months to do a room. This is because Mr Nen insists on doing as much of it as possible himself and he is a perfectionist; plus, it has to be fitted round his part time job and the other things he does. This was brought home to me recently when a friend had her lounge redecorated by Professionals. Wallpaper stripping, skirting boards, paintwork, repapering and painting, all completed in four days. [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Cher Mme. Rouge, have you a picture of the Cuddly Darth Vader?

[Eek!]

Enquiring minds need to see...

BTW, the dinner party menu sounds absolutely delicious.......

IJ

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your wish is my command.

(He’s cuter and snugglier in real life.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thank you!

[Killing me]

Thinking of Lords Of Fear And Darkness, I wonder if there's yet a cuddly toy version of The Trump?

Or a pin-cushion version, perhaps...

[Snigger]

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Thinking of Lords Of Fear And Darkness, I wonder if there's yet a cuddly toy version of The Trump?

[Snigger]

IJ

I did recently see toilet paper with Trump's face on it.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
... I wonder if there's yet a cuddly toy version of The Trump?

Heaven forfend! [Eek!]
quote:

Now you're talking ... [Devil]

I'm not a Star Wars aficionado (quite the opposite in fact) but even I admit the Darth Vader is moderately cute. [Smile]

The Cathedral's summer lunch-time concert series continues apace - today we had a Celtic fiddle and guitar duo, who were very good indeed - the speed of some of the pieces almost defied the laws of biophysics!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nothing to do with Trump - but on a visit his week to a local supermarket I espied Gay Pride garden gnomes on sale. (There is also a "boy" version).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The pedestrian lights around Trafalgar Square amuse me as instead of have a green man walking, there are couples, shown as biological symbols in some places, including male-male and female-female.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't know that, although I think they may only be temporary! Although no longer so relevant since Ken Livingstone's avian purge of he Square, there should also have been icons showing red and green pigeons.

[ 29. July 2017, 07:02: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Not sure of your definition of temporary but those signals were there all winter, which is when I spotted them, and earlier this week when I wandered through from Embankment to theatres various. (I definitely saw the light in the photo with Saddiq Khan, which is outside Waterstones, on my way to the Theatre Royal Haymarket.)

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Meanwhile, has anyone else in Ukland noticed that, now most schools are on holiday, it is raining every bl**dy day?

Why do the English persist in thinking that July and August are suitable months for holidays? Even if one flees to Foreign Parts, one is likely to find the heat and humidity there too much to bear...

[Mad]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Well, it is particularly damp and drizzly Near Us - I've even had the heating on! [Mad] Foreign Parts are looking very tempting ...

However we're not the only ones to notice this phenomenon.

PS My wife isn't English (she comes from Haggisland) but even she's feeling the cold.

[ 29. July 2017, 16:29: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah, trust the Cornish to make the best of things!

I'm reminded of the Welsh saying:

'If you can see the tops of the mountains, it's going to rain in half-an-hour. If you can't see the tops of the mountains, it's raining....'.

I believe the term is 'liquid sunshine'!

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Also in Scotland!

And, of course, you can always consult (or even buy) a weather forecasting stone. I believe they are very accurate.

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know what you mean. The Fine City is fine.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
Don't know what you mean. The Fine City is fine.

Having recently moved from the county town about 50 miles to the south, I cannot possibly comment.

But this is our current weather forecast.

[ 29. July 2017, 17:10: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016