homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My thoughts exactly, BT. [Big Grin]

There's still a frightening amount of heat out there. I decided that having hidden indoors with the air-con for the last two days (!!!) I really ought to have an amble, but I didn't go as far down the road as I usually do - it was just too stifling. The humidity level's dropped a bit since yesterday, but it was still 31° and feeling like 36 when I went out.

The forecast for tomorrow is 24°, which is going to feel positively cool by comparison, and by the end of the week it's supposed to go down to the mid-teens. This would normally make me a very happy piglet, but after the last week or so I fear I may be turning into a "soft southerner" and have to resort to drastic measures like long trousers ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19424 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm delighted to report that the temperature is sinking to much more civilised levels. I went out for an amble at about 3 o'clock this afternoon, when it was about 22° with just enough breeze to make for perfect ambling weather.

Now waiting for a lamb-chop casserole to finish cooking; it'll be refrigerated for future consumption, as we're going out in about half an hour to partake of Sam Snead's ridiculously-good-value steak evening. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 19424 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It was perfect ambling weather today: 20° when I went out, with a stiffening breeze.

Autumn might well be on its way: it's currently 10° (at about 11:30 p.m.) and I actually put a jacket* on to go to choir practice, and when we came out of the pub afterwards, I was quite glad of it. It's the first time in quite a while that I haven't dived for the air-con button as soon as I got into the car.

At this rate I'm going to have to find the "heat" settings on the air-exchanger in the château ... [Eek!]

* a sleeveless one, but a jacket nonetheless

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stoppit now Piglet, it's cold and drizzly here, humph! (Best eeyore voice)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12595 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sun has made a brief appearance, but it quickly took fright and disappeared behind the clouds.

In other news, a gaggle of geese just flew over.

Posts: 9314 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'orrible 'ere!

Reckon hedgehogs and dormice have the right idea! [Snore]

Posts: 4537 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So they do, as do Moomins.

It's all very well for Piglets to have these lovely mild/warmish Ambles, but it's another dismal, cool, grey day here, with rain and strong winds forecast for the weekend... [Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8898 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If it's any comfort, it didn't get above 13° today (although it was quite a nice day).

D's regular Friday organ recital today was a tribute to Francis Jackson, organist-emeritus of York Minster, who will be 100 on Monday - one piece written by him and others written by people associated with him, or dedicated to him. It went down very well; the audience always seems to enjoy D's little anecdotes with which he introduces each piece (as well as enjoying the music ...)

I didn't actually amble today, but I had a spot of very frustrating retail therapy - the shop where I buy quite a lot of my clothes was having a 40% off evening, and the clothes that I'd earmarked from their web-site as possible treats to myself were either (a) not available in my size* or (b) the wrong shape altogether.

* the size below was too small, and the size above just too big, and they didn't even have it on the web-site.

frustrated and somewhat pissed-off piglet [Frown]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was doing clothes shopping online the other day and had the same problem. Very frustrating.

[ 30. September 2017, 00:34: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9359 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it's not the clothes that are the wrong size, but the piglet......

(Runs for cover, with protective saucepan on head...)

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 8898 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Perhaps it's not the clothes that are the wrong size, but the piglet......

(Runs for cover, with protective saucepan on head...)

And well you might! [Devil]

You're absolutely right of course - I am the wrong size of piglet, hence the ambling ...

I had a much more productive day today - went to the market and got lovely fresh corn-cobs and some cheese and charcuterie (to go with the loaves I baked the other day); got my hair cut (which always contributes to the porcine well-being); and then had a nice little amble in the sunshine (13° with a tiny little breeze, since you ask).

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sorry, Piglet - that was rather rude of me... [Hot and Hormonal]

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Ambles, though! I, too, try to manage an Amble every day, even if it's only to the Shop and back to stock up on ALE, WHISKY, or CAKE. The Ambles don't seem to make much difference to the Episcopal Waistline, alas, which has expanded owing to current Medication for other Ailments.

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... The Ambles don't seem to make much difference to the Episcopal Waistline ...

Nor the porcine one, sadly. [Frown]

Maybe I should cut down on the CAKE ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah me, CAKE has indeed a lot to answer for. Yet it is still a proof that God loves us, and that She wants us to be happy, no?

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps though, together with CHOCOLATE, FINE WINE and CHEESE, it has been created to test our ability to enjoy God's good gifts IN MODERATION.

Or not.

Posts: 9314 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Probably not.

O, and please to include CIDER in the list...

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Especially that lovely stuff they serve at Llanthony Priory ...
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Not available rahnd 'ere, I'm sorry to say, but our local Sainsbury's does sell a certain Foreign Brew of CIDER with Elderflower....

Mmmmm.....

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
CIDER with Elderflower.

Is OUTRAGE!
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve made soap - and it looks good enough to eat!

See my ‘Room’ blog for evidence [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Is not OUTRAGE - is TASTY!

(the CIDER, I mean - though I'd be happy to try Boogie's soap. Hmm. Perhaps a trip to the Episcopal Larder is called for).

IJ

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, it truly does, Boogie!

We had the harvest supper last night and I was prevailed upon to do a turn. So I gave 'em 'The green eye of the little yellow god'. It's the only thing I can do, so I don't know what happens next year.

M.

Posts: 2241 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Actually, having examined the pix of Boogie's home-made soap, it does indeed look good enough to eat, having the colour of a nice, mature CHEESE.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once when my grandmother made soap, she set it on a table underneath an oak tree to harden. It turned out the tree was shedding acorns, and we ended up with acorn-embedded soap.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20152 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I’ve made soap - and it looks good enough to eat!

Please tell me you're not going to feed it to the Grand-boogies if they let out a Bad Word! [Eek!]

We had our first Choral Evensong of the new season this afternoon, and very nice it was too (Smith responses, Sumsion in G and O how amiable by Vaughan Williams). Afterwards we were treated by a couple of friends to supper at the excellent restaurant of a local hotel - good food*, good wine and good company.

Haven't had time to do any ambling today, but surely all that singing must have done me some good?

Oh hang on a minute, then there was supper ... [Hot and Hormonal]

* The bruschetta that D. and I shared as a starter may be further proof that God loves us.

well-fed piglet

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, you do know that the 10 minute walks are meant to be brisk not ambles, don't you?

I get the 10 minutes brisk walking most days as my start to the day, walking to the tube station with a fairly heavy backpack, and I'm just about making the 10,000 steps a day, on average, but I need to rebuild a proper exercise programme, with lots of proper walking and other exercise. I really wanted to go out for a walk yesterday afternoon (other than the walk to the supermarket and back), but had to shift a fairly huge project for a meeting this morning, and not been given time at work because I was provided with lots of other jobs to sort out.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13491 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Actually, having examined the pix of Boogie's home-made soap, it does indeed look good enough to eat, having the colour of a nice, mature CHEESE.

Cheese and jelly layers [Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
We had our first Choral Evensong of the new season this afternoon, and very nice it was too (Smith responses, Sumsion in G and O how amiable by Vaughan Williams).

I'm afraid that, much as I like RVW, I'm not keen on "O how amiable". It was written for one of the village festivals, and (to my ears) sounds it. And I don't like the way it segues into "O God, our help" at the end, especially as it's far too high!

YMMV of course.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Piglet, you do know that the 10 minute walks are meant to be brisk ...

Yes.

I walk at a normal pace (well, normal for me anyway - it's enough to quicken my breathing and bring on a certain glow). Whether it qualifies as "brisk" or not I neither know nor particularly care - it's still more exercise than I've had in years.

I use the word "amble" because (a) I like it; and (b) in memory of a little grey dog who used to go for his walks near our old house, but as he didn't go particularly fast (and stopped regularly to investigate Interesting Sniffs), we used to say he was going for his amble.
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

I don't like the way it segues into "O God, our help" at the end, especially as it's far too high!

I know what you mean - it is a bit of a screech for Lower Voices. It's not my favourite of his pieces by a very long way, but it serves not too badly as a general anthem.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, even RVW had his off-days!

Piglet, Ambles are perhaps supposed to be brisk, but that doesn't mean one has to be brisk all the way, and all the time. Dogs have the right idea - if something interesting appears during the Amble, stop, and have a look at it (not necessarily a sniff, though!).

Appy Ambling, All!

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed. I'm just back from today's amble; it's about 17°, which is a nice ambling temperature. I'd missed a couple of days - Sunday because I was busy most of the day, and yesterday because I was in a very can't-be-bothered sort of mood and didn't really think about it until it was dark, and nocturnal ambling doesn't really appeal.

Must Try Harder ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you ever watched a dog’s so called rambling. To the right, to the left, back a few metres to have another sniff etc. The dog covers a lot more ground than the person holding leash who usually goes just in a straight line and gets short breaks as diog investigates a tempting smell.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Our dogs amble off lead - or rather, gallop!

When my supervisor came to watch me taking Keir for a training walk on lead she told me I need to walk much faster as his natural gate is fast. Good advice.

Luckily for him he’ll be matched with a fast walker.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, Autumn is here in this corner of Ukland, and the leaves are yellowing, and falling fast.

The solid-fuel range (an ancient Rayburn) in the Episcopal Kitchen has been duly lit today, and will now require feeding and clearing twice daily until next spring. Never mind - it's like having a friendly, somnolent dragon around, providing me with cooking facilities, hot water, and central heating, as long as he's kept topped up with nice, tasty, anthracite (or seasoned logs). He even has a useful rail in front, on which the Episcopal socks and pants can be aired and warmed.

Do any other Shippies possess such a useful beastie in their homes?

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Piglet would, I'm sure, have called it a Useful Rail. Keep cosy!

[ 04. October 2017, 17:24: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O, I will (DV), and I look forward to heating pans of Nourishing Soup on the dragon's hotplate. Our local Polski Sklep (Polish shop) sells wonderful Lithuanian pea-and-ham soup that almost requires a knife and fork, so thick it is, along with a Georgian ( not the Usanian state) soup which contains lots of barley....

....mmmmmmmmm.......

IJ (a True European)

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Never mind - it's like having a friendly, somnolent dragon around, providing me with cooking facilities, hot water, and central heating, as long as he's kept topped up with nice, tasty, anthracite (or seasoned logs.

That's a lovely Terry Pratchett-like image. All homes should have a dragon [Biased] No beastie here and I definitely don't miss having to rely on an open fire and back burner for heat and hot water. Stoking a fire during the height of summer in order to get a bath or wash some dishes is an activity I can live without.

Back to autumnal scenes. We have a blackbird in the garden furiously working his way through the berries in the garden. Pyracanthus on the menu today.

Posts: 1825 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

As you may have guessed, the friendly dragon estivates during the summer months, and I use gas instead.

But yes, a certain Discworldly image!

IJ

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I envy you the range, very much. When we remade kitchen on moving into the (ex) marital home, I put in a small woodburning stove. I love cooking on fuel stoves

when my sons were small boys, we had a winter of scheduled power blackouts. Very inconvenient with young children. We installed a second hand Everhot slow combustion stove with wet back. Plenty of hot water then.

If I ever had the opportunity I would instal an Australian made heater with hot plates and oven. I saw a comparison site of similar heaters only the other day and it had a very high efficiency rating. They also make very efficient heating units without the cooking ability. This is still really a pipe dream, but I can dream.It comes in two sizes.

Be careful with that rail. We had a Scandinavian box heater in lounge room. Lots of log cabins, pine trees, foxes etc stood out on the box of the heater. One young son went too close to heater when getting dressed one night. He bent over to pull pyjamas on and branded his behind. I think it was a pine tree.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Do any other Shippies possess such a useful beastie in their homes?

No, although I love the idea of one.

The ancestral pile where I grew up had an oil-fired stove which heated the kitchen, the water and one radiator in the hall and was used for cooking in the winter. Like yours, it estivated during the summer (even in Orkney it would have made the kitchen too hot).

It was indeed a wonderful thing; not only did it have a Useful Rail, it had a Useful Rack about two feet above the hot-plate, which was used for airing clothes or warming plates (but presumably not both at once).

It had a large hot-plate on which my mum (may she rest in peace) used to make tattie scones, which were consumed as they were turned off the griddle, with obscene amounts of butter.

<insert drooling smiley here ... >

It also introduced me to the delights of baked potatoes, which Mum would have ready when I came home on a wintery day from orchestra practice.

In the mid-1970s, my dad installed* proper oil-fired central heating, so the stove was put out to grass. I was quite sad to see it go, although the benefits of central heating probably outweighed the loss.

Summer seems to have returned here - it's currently 24° and sunny. Crop trousers have been resurrected and instant-tan applied. Ambling was achieved in the local shopping centre, as I had a few bits and bobs to get.

* literally - he spent every evening for several weeks grubbling round underneath the floor-boards doing clever things with pipes, and bumping his head on things.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

My brother has a wood burning fire and wood burning boiler. He also has his own wood, which he coppices and he has offered me as many logs as I want.

I turned down his kind offer - too messy. I could not be bothered sweeping up ash. I love my fake gas fire - very realistic and clean.

My brothers don’t understand me at all. They are still into boats in a big way (we all were as kids, all our holidays involved boats). But I’m not especially interested now - unless I win the Lottery and have people to look after a nice little narrow boat for me.

🚣

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah yes - a proper narrow boat with a traditional back cabin, complete with STOVE! [Two face]

The Rayburn only needs clearing twice daily, but some ash does have to be swept or hoovered up. It does also mean that Dusting has to be done more frequently, but the gentle ambient warmth is worth it.

The Season of Soup, Pies, Baked Spuds etc. is almost here!

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
I love my fake gas fire - very realistic and clean.

Is Outrage! (But practical).
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
It does also mean that Dusting has to be done more frequently, but the gentle ambient warmth is worth it.

Does not the act of Dusting (a word which I abhor from the very bowels of my being, but which my wife seems to think is important) not produce its own ambient warmth, albeit temporarily?
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed, but I live in a Very Small Space, so Dusting is not actually too much of a chore.

Besides, my eyesight only reveals the presence of Dust once or twice a week.... [Snigger]

IJ

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OTOH those with vision bad enough to be registered disabled can be more fastidious than the sighted about dust and the like. They check for cleanliness by touching things. Despite having 20/20 vision myself, I have learned touch is indeed an excellent way to make sure a cleaning person has been doing a thorough job. And woe betide any cleaner in my mother-in-law’s house who doesn’t leave the place spotless [Snigger] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, yes, but I (as a Bloke) have selective Hearing, as well as selective Eyesight!

Fortunately, there is no current Episcopal Consort to object to this condition....

IJ

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I love my fake gas fire - very realistic and clean.

Roasting a chestnut may take a while:)

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1825 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Not if it's a plastic one. [Devil]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... The Season of Soup ... is almost here!

Soup doesn't have seasons - it's perennial. [Smile]

I should have added when talking about the Stove that my granny (may she also rest in peace) used to use the lower oven to warm her feet. [Eek!]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016