homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 36)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd have trouble staying awake for either*, but then grand opera really isn't my thing, and neither is Mozart. [Snore]

I was delighted to see on Facebook today that the Weeping Window poppies from the Tower of London have now been installed at the Ulster Museum in Belfast; they look nearly as well there as they did at St. Magnus Cathedral. [Smile]

* I did see a production of the Magic Flute in Belfast, but we only went because (a) some of D's choristers were in it; and (b) the tickets were free. [Big Grin]

[ 13. October 2017, 21:14: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19634 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love opera. Back in June we saw a fabulous performance of Rosenkavalier.

Last night an excellent concert with Shostakovich's 12th symphony - exciting stuff!

Posts: 9430 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Them's fighting words, piglet.

Don Giovanni is the greatest opera ever written by a human being and if anyone disagrees with me on this point we may have to take it outside [Biased] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Young Mr. Johann Chrysostom Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was not quite a human being - he was a (possibly fallen, but nonetheless divinely-inspired) member of the angelic heavenly hosts.

To which state he, of course, returned on, or after, 5th December 1791, thereby giving something of a lift to the liturgy of the heavenly places.

So there.

[Razz]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9196 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Provided he can tear himself from the celestial billiard tournaments.
Posts: 9430 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tournaments with, perhaps, background musak by Salieri...

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 9196 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Don't get me wrong; Mozart did write a few jolly nice tunes. As it happens, we're singing his Ave verum corpus* tomorrow - I just wouldn't put him in my top 20.

Or 30 ... [Devil]

As most of you know, he happened about 200 years after my preferred musical era.

* Whenever we sing that piece (not very often), D. says, "You know I don't like this one very much, so sing it nicely and I might change my mind".

--------------------

Posts: 19634 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Tournaments with, perhaps, background musak by Salieri...

No; Haydn.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
As most of you know, he happened about 200 years after my preferred musical era.

Let's hear it for Byrd, Tallis, Morley or Shepherd. Lovely stuff to sing (and nice for middle parts to have Proper Tunes rather than Harmony).
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'll go along with that, BT - I get the feeling that Haydn was probably quite a jolly chap, and if I have to have music from that period, I'd prefer it to be his. [Smile]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
La vie en rouge's post prompts me to wonder what the greatest opera not written by a human being is. Does anyone have a nomination ?

One of the proms I went to this summer had a piece called Sirens, by Anders Hillborg. It refers to the sirens in the Odyssey who lured sailors to come too close to the rocks and thus shipwrecked them. I am embarrassed to say that if they had been singing hat piece, I would have sailed right past without approaching the rocks at all.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2207 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
La vie en rouge's post prompts me to wonder what the greatest opera not written by a human being is. Does anyone have a nomination ?

Der Ring des Nibelungen was written by the gods -- Wagner just transcribed it for them.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9464 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
... the greatest opera not written by a human being ...

I'm not quite sure what you mean. [Confused]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well la vie en rouge said it was beyond doubt that Don Giovanni was the greatest opera written by a human being.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2207 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

...and I shoved my oar in by explaining that Mozart was not a completely human being...

[Razz]

In other news, this corner of Our Lady's Dowry, enjoying the Feast Of The Translation Of The Image Of Our Lady Of Walsingham (well, those of a Carflick persuasion), is basking in the autumn warmth of St. Luke's Little Summer.

St. Luke's Day, as enny fule kno, falls on Wednesday 18th October this year, and it is not unknown for these Blessed Isles to enjoy a late Indian summer around this time, enhanced by the glorious colours of the falling leaves. [Big Grin]

(Though I gather that we are now awaiting the tail-end of Hurricane Ophelia, or Patrick, or Quentin, or whoever..... [Disappointed] ).

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
...and I shoved my oar in by explaining that Mozart was not a completely human being...

It is, of course, well-known that Rossini had a machine for churning out bel canto operas by the score.

I think a well-known composer of musicals has it these days, though how it got to London is anyone's guess ...

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
St. Luke's Day, as enny fule kno, falls on Wednesday 18th October this year, and it is not unknown for these Blessed Isles to enjoy a late Indian summer around this time, enhanced by the glorious colours of the falling leaves.

Does that mean I can have a Nice Day Out, as one of my middle names is Luke.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O, indeed it does - a Nice Day Out, complete with CIDER (or whatever), but preceded, of course, by Prayer, e.g. this from the 1662 BCP:
quote:
Saint Luke the Evangelist

October 18.

The Collect

Almighty God, who calledst Luke the Physician, whose praise is in the Gospel, to be an Evangelist, and Physician of the soul: May it please thee that, by the wholesome medicines of the doctrine delivered by him, all the diseases of our souls may be healed; through the merits of thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Enjoy! [Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Thank you. I think my father chose "Luke" as he was a doctor and fervently hoped I would follow in his footsteps. But I have never had that inclination and, indeed, have been know to faint just at the thought of certain ailments and syndromes! (The last time was just a couple of weeks ago when I was having a CT scan - I have a phobia about the contrast dye they use, which is quite bonkers!)
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband and two sons all faint at the slightest medical stuff - good thing none will ever have to give birth!

My son broke his wrist and the doctor was only describing the op he’d be doing on it - my husband fainted out cold and both sons turned green [Roll Eyes]

PS - with my oldest son it’s only medical stuff involving himself or close family members, he’s a nurse and just fine with other people’s blood and guts!

[ 15. October 2017, 15:19: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12686 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks for posting that nice collect, BF - as today was a BAS* day here (we get it on alternate Sundays), it was nice to get my little fix of Cranmer's Matchless Prose™. I don't know what our lectionary says about St. Luke, but I don't think he got a mention at all ... [Ultra confused]

* Book of Alternative Services, Bloody Awful Service Book or Barely Anglican Services: take your pick. [Devil]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie
My husband and two sons all faint at the slightest medical stuff

In the lab at my doctor's office where they take blood for tests, there are prominent signs that say, IF YOU HAVE EVER FAINTED WHILE HAVING BLOOD TAKEN, LET US KNOW BEFOREHAND.

I gather they have had some bad experiences.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20210 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, it's all very well for those of who have no problem in actually watching the needle going in, and the blood flowing out [Two face] , but I know there are folk for whom just a routine blood test is a Major Ordeal.

Such a warning sign is a Very Good Idea.

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

When I came round after the CT scan, with about six concerned staff around the trolley, I was asked if this had happened before. When I said that it had, I was gently ticked off for not having told them. Fair enough, but I'd honestly thought I was going to fine this time. It was most embarrassing!

It also once happened at home about 4 years ago as I was reading something on the not-at-all-dramatic NHS website. I fainted on the sofa; when I came to my wife was busy phoning for an ambulance, convinced I'd had a stroke ... She was then a bit cross (but also relieved) that I'd only fainted!

[ 15. October 2017, 21:45: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've only fainted a couple of times, neither occasioned by gore or anything medical. The second time was while my mum and sister were fitting me for my wedding dress (which my mum was making). It was at a very early stage - just the bodice bit, which was too big and they were pinning darts in it.

I was trying to stand as still as possible, and found myself feeling a bit woozy. By the time I tried to say "I'm feeling a bit woozy" I'd collapsed in a heap, and the next thing I knew my dad (who was watching in a bored sort of way) was helping me on to the sofa, calling for sweet tea and trying to put my head between my knees. I don't know what brought it on - probably just standing stock-still for too long - but my mum spent the rest of my engagement thinking I was going to do an encore at the altar ... [Eek!]

I didn't. [Big Grin]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that kind of occasional fainting comes from low blood pressure. A couple of times I have almost keeled over on the public transport. First of all you feel very hot, and then the carriage starts to spin and you start seeing stars… fortunately the train has pulled into a station just in time and I’ve managed to stagger out onto the platform both times but it’s frightening how fast it happens.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Many years ago we were living in Lisbon. I'd had a rather nasty injection, we then caught the tram home. It was busy so I was standing. Delayed reaction nearly caused me to faint (I clearly did "come over a bit funny" for a moment). Fortunately I didn't so my wife didn't was spared thinking how to say, "It's OK, my husband has only fainted" in Portuguese!
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only fainted once. I was helping my husband unload the dishwasher when I grabbed him and said I felt dizzy. Torn between dropping the cups in his hand or me, he chose me and I slid to the floor. The next thing I remember is him peering over me looking worried.
When our son was a teenager my husband took him to visit one of his friends in hospital who had just had an operation on his face. Son took one look at friend and keeled over. The hospital wouldn't let him out till they'd checked it wasn't something more serious. It cheered up the friend no end.
Anyone caught up in Hurricane Ophelia? It's lovely and warm here in South West London and only slightly windy, but we seem not to be anywhere near the path of it.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 1926 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Here in South Wales we had a very dark morning with a weird colour of sky. Then the sun started to come through and it was a dull red colour due to Sahara sand in the air apparently. Now it's much brighter, sunny in fact, and the winds are normal. We're still expecting 40+ mph winds this afternoon and later this evening though the predictions keep changing.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same sort of weird dark sky across North Yorkshire as I came through on a train. Misty on the Durham coast first thing, but beginning to clear as I left.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13555 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as Baptist Trainfan mentions in South Wales. It was a kind of pinky-brown and dark too, like the 1999 eclipse. I haven't seen a sky like that since the ghiblis in Libya, 1967.

It's brighter now, so we all expect the Big Blow.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24014 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We’ve got a low, hot, pink sky - no wind as yet.

When I was a child I used to faint every time I had egg sandwiches! Every time. Once I slid under the kitchen table as I was sitting down. Once I went to the door to let the cat in and fainted. I remember all sounds slowing down first before each faint. I think I was a greedy monkey and ate them too quickly, cutting off my air supply. : [Roll Eyes]

I loved egg sandwiches - still do!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Light grey, hazy sky here, with the Sun trying to poke through, and an increasingly blustery, warm, sultry Mistral-like wind..... [Ultra confused]

I await the appearance of Planet Nibiru at any moment, but I have a nice bottle of 10-year old Laphroaig WHISKY to hand, ready for any eventuality.

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
It's brighter now, so we all expect the Big Blow.

It's been great for doing a Big Washing (with towels).
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its gone very dark here, more like 6.00 in the evening rather than 3.00 in the afternoon.
I've been thinking about the 'hurricane' of 87. The evening before I'd gone out with my parents and brother to celebrate my dad's birthday. Rather than go home I'd stayed in their North London flat and intended to get up early to go to work. Well I did go to work (Kilburn to Dulwich), not sure what mode of transport I took, but I remember the last bit included climbing over a few fallen trees. Of course when i got there the school had closed for the day.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 1926 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Orange-pink Sun Of Doom here now.... [Help]

Re the '87 hurricane, I more-or-less slept through it, though vaguely aware at one point of a dustbin lid being blown along the street...

In the morning, I got up as usual, realised the electricity was off, but nevertheless started off for the station (I commuted to London at that time).

A neighbour's son met me a few steps further on, and told me that there had been something of a disaster, and that there were no trains or buses anywhere, no power, no phones, schools and shops closed, and thousands of trees down (with the concomitant damage etc.).
[Eek!]

Nobody I knew then was badly affected, thank God, though My Old Mum lost a length of garden fence.

Bad though it was, it was mild by US/Caribbean standards...

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

410pm - the Sky is Orangey-Grey, and there are vaguely-visible Apocalyptic Cloud Formations....

The WHISKY bottle has been opened.

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

4:15pm

We seem to be on the edge of it, half the sky is blue but the wind is quite strong.

Lots of house and car alarms going off - dogs not bothered, all snoozing [Smile] [Cool]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a yellow py grey Sky this morning, but it had cleared by 11. I am friends with Birdie on f/b, and she was saying that the air smelled strange this morning.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3279 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No strange smells here, but I am cheered up by
the sound of Boogie's dogs peacefully snoozing.

If they're not spooked, we're probably going to be OK... [Smile]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
410pm - the Sky is Orangey-Grey, and there are vaguely-visible Apocalyptic Cloud Formations....

The WHISKY bottle has been opened.

Would you justify that by saying that the sun has effectively dipped below the yardarm already?
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

My thought exactly!

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A FB friend in Cork posted several videos of his garden and of a damaged window, and said that there had been some structural damage in various places. The schools in Northern Ireland were closed today and apparently will be tomorrow as well.

It was a bit blustery here last night (and very warm - it was 19° at 4 o'clock this morning), but nothing like storm strength, although we had a couple of very short power cuts this morning.

[ 16. October 2017, 19:14: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had strange skies here too. The BBC is saying that it was probably caused by high wind pulling dust from Iberian forest fires towards Britain. It was like God pulling the curtains shut and turning on the light. Very Odd.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1829 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... it was 19° at 4 o'clock this morning ...

It's been cooling down fairly steadily since: by 5 this afternoon it was down to 10°, and it was almost cool when I went for my amble.

I may have to dig out some heavier-weight clothes - or at least something with long sleeves. [Eek!]

We had a beautifully red/pink sunset this evening, with the pink extending over most of the sky. I don't think it was Ophelia-related though - the dust would be going in the wrong direction.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, a gorgeous sunset here (thanks, Ophelia!), but some quite destructive winds in western Ireland, spreading now, I understand, to northern Scotland.

Hopefully, Orkney will not be affected...

The strange, sultry wind has died down, and we have a normal-ish October day, and still quite mild (16C).

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Lovely morning, rain due by lunchtime though.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think south-west Scotland (especially Galloway) saw the worst of the winds last night (paging Cottontail: is everything OK chez toi?). Here in the northern central bit of the central belt there doesn't seem to be a plant pot or wheelie bin out of place, and I slept like a log. We did have a weird sky colour yesterday too, but no red sun (because it was behind the heavy cloud, which was orangey tinted for a while). They're saying it'll all be settled here by later this afternoon.

My brother in law is a teacher in NI so is dealing with the hardship of a second day off as schools were shut yesterday and today (also in the Republic, I believe). Apparently the winds there last night were really something else.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5756 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I see that Stranraer had gusts of 71 mph, and Wigtown 76 mph.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord P and his lady are honeymooning in Ireland. He rang to say they were safe and that the worst of the storm had passed by late afternoon. He was impressed by the Irish goverment's hanndling of events as all shops closed at 11am.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3279 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016