homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 37)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
... Hopefully, Orkney will not be affected ...

From pictures I've seen on Facebook, I don't think it got as far north as that - a photographer friend posted a video this morning of Orkney looking as lovely as ever, complete with blue sky.
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... Stranraer had gusts of 71 mph ...

Another friend was travelling on the Stranraer ferry today; I understand that she didn't have the best journey of her life. [Eek!]

It's been another bonny day here - not warm (11° when I went ambling about 6 o'clock) but sunny and pleasant.

If only the wee birdies would come back - we've hardly seen a single one since the council told us to take our bird-feeders down. They've since allowed us to put them back up, but apart from a very brief appearance by the mourning doves, not a single cheep.

[Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19601 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the wee birdies need to apply to the council themselves for permission to feed?

In other news, glad to hear the Blessed Isles of Orkney are their usual beautiful selves! One day, Elf permitting, I may make a Northwards Pilgrimage.

I did once contemplate a cruise on the St. Rognvald (the third vessel of that name), back in the days of the North of Scotland, Orkney and Shetland Shipping Co.

Can't recall why it never happened - lack of £££, I expect. [Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9157 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that St. Rognvald. I have fond memories of Sunday afternoon drives which culminated in getting ice-cream from a wonderful Italian café and going down to the pier to watch her being loaded.

It's been another lovely day today - 17° and sunny (perfect ambling weather) and I'm just off to the other end of the house to properly appreciate what I think will be a pretty damn good sunset. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 19601 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm visiting London tomorrow with friends and have been sorting out the accommodation paperwork. Apparently we are not allowed "unauthorised guests, parties, loud music, illegal or immoral activities"! It hardly seems worth it [Snigger]

Would it be better or worse is they knew I was on a 'Christian Website'?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1829 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

I immediately assumed that they knew you were on Ship of Fools and were afraid you were organizing a Shipmeet.

[ 21. October 2017, 02:19: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9452 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

I immediately assumed that they knew you were on Ship of Fools and were afraid you were organizing a Shipmeet.
I don't know what kind of Shipmeets you've been to, but the only one I've been to involved no Immoral Activities whatsoever.

Mind you, it was lunch in Edinburgh, which is about as civilised as you can get. [Big Grin]

D's organ recital today included an improvisation, for which he asked the audience to provide a theme. Someone suggested Mozart's Eine kleine Nachtmusik, which, he said afterwards, was about the last thing he'd have expected. I don't know if Mozart would have been impressed*, but I certainly was.

He's sort of getting himself into the improvisation mindset: next week there's a screening of the Lon Cheney silent film Phantom of the Opera, for which he's providing an improvised accompaniment.

* Do I care? Not really. [Devil]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hostly Oink (mostly at myself)

Pigwidgeon, I owe you an apology. Instead of quoting your post, I inadvertently edited it; I hope I've managed to retrieve the gist of it.

Hostly Oink OFF

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Hostly Oink (mostly at myself)

Pigwidgeon, I owe you an apology. Instead of quoting your post, I inadvertently edited it; I hope I've managed to retrieve the gist of it.

Hostly Oink OFF

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

No apology necessary -- I think you got it word-for-word.

(And -- by the way -- the only Shipmeets I've attended have been very civilized. We've had several in Arizona, and I also went to one in London a few years ago.)

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hatches currently battened down under the weather bomb that is Storm Brian.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big tree down near us (I haven't seen it myself). Wind much calmer now.
Posts: 9408 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IT was pretty awful going down to Swansea - our route invokes going over a mountain road to Merthyr, and there was a lot of water on the road. We did a large detour on the way back - up through Penderyn to the Taf Fechan reservoirs to go to see the waterfalls near Storey Arms. Very impressive!
Posts: 3276 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windy here, too. I was going to sweep up leaves at Our Place (we have the Bishop presiding and preaching tomorrow, so we must look Neat and Tidy), but there didn't seem to be much point...

I drank TEA and ate CAKE instead.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 9157 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wise man, BF.

There's a new noodle place that has just opened here, and (in the interests of research, you understand) we gave it a go this evening. While it wouldn't be the kind of food we could eat every day, it was very good indeed.

As it happened, neither of us had noodles; we started with a shared plate of crispy wontons with a tamarind dipping sauce, then D. had coconut chicken and I had a mixed platter of meats and prawns, both with jasmine rice. Mine also included a bowl of delicious broth and a couple of little spring rolls. Altogether, v.v. good - we really couldn't fault it.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
IT was pretty awful going down to Swansea - our route invokes going ... through Penderyn

I think you must have got some of the worst weather. And did you drop in at the distillery?
Posts: 9408 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
IT was pretty awful going down to Swansea - our route invokes going ... through Penderyn

I think you must have got some of the worst weather. And did you drop in at the distillery?
mmmm Brecon gin mmmm

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1379 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

We actually prefer the Cardiff Gin ... however we bought some excellent WHISKY (not the "bog-standard Penderyn variety) at the distillery which, she assures me, is excellent.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It feels cold and yucky here - 9 degrees C. Our service was good, the preacher tied it all together really well. We had lots of prayer candles at the beginning - very unusual for Methodists. But the sermon was dreary and made no sense to me, so the pup had a ‘call of nature’ and we went for a nice 15 minute stroll then back to Church for the final hymn and coffee ☕️

Now I’m back to soap making - paw shaped, ready to sell at an up coming coffee morning I’m having to fund raise for Guide Dogs.

[Smile]

GIN? I bought some Black Forest gin in Heidelberg- it’s fab u lous!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12659 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

What a useful beast a DOG can sometimes be!

[Biased]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
... we went for a nice 15 minute stroll ...

There's nothing wrong with praising God via Nature and His little creatures! [Smile]

As four of our sopranos were away at a choral festival this weekend, D. asked me to sing soprano to redress the balance a bit. It was fun - the motet was Exsultate justi, in which I probably haven't sung the top line for about 30 years.

[Eek!]

I'm a bit wrecked now though - singing the odd descant here and there is fine, but singing soprano for a whole service when you're not used to it is a bit knackering. Quality Bear Time™ this afternoon, methinks.

[Snore]

[ 22. October 2017, 14:50: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

A gentle post-singing Amble might help!

Our Patronal Festival Eucharist this morning, with our Bishop presiding and preaching. Not a bad turn-out, though the Dreaded Lurgy has struck, and at least two families were missing....

Never mind - it's always good to have a friendly Bishop around to exhort and encourage, and ours is good at that. He went straight from being a parish priest to being a Bishop, so he knows the score.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
A gentle post-singing Amble might help ...

It would have done - and it would have been a good day for ambling, but once we'd had lunch and snoozing had been accomplished, for some reason I just couldn't muster the energy. My only mitigation is that D. and I had both dozed off on the sofa, and he was sort of leaning on me, so if I'd got up to go ambling, I'd have woken him, which wouldn't have been very kind.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. [Snigger]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Very well, but Don't Let It Happen Again.

Actually, you conjure up a delightful post-prandial domestic scene, which (as you say) it would be a shame to disturb...

My only complaint re Evensong is that I have to rouse myself from slumber and snoozing to attend it.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We only do Evensnog once a month, so it doesn't interfere with postprandial snoozing too often. [Smile]

Ambling has been accomplished today; when I went out at about 4:30 p.m. it was 22°.

On 23rd October. [Eek!]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Our beautiful autumn days seem to be, at least temporarily, over: although it got up to 20° today*, it was absolutely p*ssing with rain for most of the day. The gardeners seem to be pleased ...

I cheered myself up by baking cherry CAKE, which has just come out of the oven and will be available for virtual tasting shortly.

* The normal daily high for this time of year is about 10°.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Where's that CAKE? A friend has given me a small bottle of very strong ALE, which needs something to go with it....

[Razz]

Out for my own Amble this morning, the weather (though still mild - warmish, even) could not make up its mind whether to be Misty or Drizzly, so ended up being both. What the Irish would call a Soft Day, I think.

Colder weather predicted for Sunday, though... [Ultra confused]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's still chucking it down by the bucketload here*, although our meteorological boffins are predicting a sunny, if rather cooler, weekend.

That'll do nicely.

* We got nearly an inch and a half of rain yesterday, but apparently that wasn't quite enough ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Umm....how did the CAKE turn out?

No sign of it here - must have got lost in cyberspace.

Ah well - back to CHEESE with the green bits scraped off...

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Though I say it what shouldn't, it really turned out rather nicely. [Smile]

We went to 540, one of our favourite eateries, for lunch after D's recital today (smoked fishcakes with salad for me, butter chicken for him, both v. good).

To burn off one or two of the calories consumed therein*, I went for a nice little amble, passing the time of day with the neighbourhood squirrel en route.

At least it's stopped raining; over the last few days we've had well over 2 inches. [Eek!]

It's cooled down to sensible levels too: this time yesterday it was 21°, today it's 12°.

* Does salad actually have any calories? [Biased]

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel that salad is calorie-free. Thus, cheese salad, zero calories [Smile]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Like broken biscuits (the calories escape through the break),
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O what an intriguing thought!

I shall cut my CHEESE and CAKE into even smaller pieces before devouring same.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Of course, you all know that any food you consume on church premises has no calories, and if it has CHOCOLATE in it, it actually has negative calories.

[Snigger]

After a v. lazy morning, as it was another nice autumnal day, we took a little turn out of town and went to a little place we'd been meaning to try for a while for breakfast. D. had what they called a "Trucker's Breakfast" - three eggs, bacon, ham and sausage, fried potatoes, a great big pancake with maple syrup and toast - and didn't know whether to eat it or climb it.

I was a bit more restrained - I had an omelette with peppers, onions, mushrooms and ham, fried potatoes and toast. It was all quite nice, although TBH I could have made just as nice an omelette myself - it was just a little bit bland.

I'm now turning some lamb bones into stock, then I'm going to use it in a casserole with lamb chops, potatoes and veggies for tomorrow's lunch.

I haven't ambled today because I'm basically a very lazy piglet. [Big Grin]

PS Hello Amber! <waves> [Smile]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amber! Good to see you!
Posts: 6358 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waving back [Smile]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had choral Matins this morning (we get it a few times a year). I have to say it doesn't float my boat quite the way Evensong does, but it was quite fun all the same: it was the first time this choir had done the Te Deum from Ireland in F, which is quite a jolly sort of sing.

I really must try and have an amble this afternoon, as the weather boffins seem to be offering us another storm, so ambling may not be wise in the next couple of days.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I'm afraid I'm now tempted to restrict my daily Amble to brief excursions to and from the parking place of the new Episcopal Carriage....

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Like this? Or this?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I imagine Bishops Finger in one of these:

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8757 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sorry to disillusion you all, but it's like this, actually:

http://paintref.com/graphics/sample/fiesta2016candyblue.jpg

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely colour, BF. And you can't beat a Fiesta for all-round usefulness.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The nice salesman told me (an elderly 'singleton') that the car is a 'babe magnet'.

I've had the vehicle for a day already, and not one 'babe' have I had to peel off yet...

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's a very smart little set of wheels, BF. Health to drive it. [Smile]

So much for ambling yesterday - a friend from St. John's phoned just as I was about to go an put on my ambling shoes, and he, D. and I had a lovely, long natter. Unfortunately, by the time we rang off, it was dark, and the street-lamps around the château leave rather a lot to be desired.

Then today, it was blowing a hoolie and p*ssing with rain ...

D's Phantom of the Opera thing went off very well indeed: there was a good crowd, and judging by the standing ovation he got, they all enjoyed it.

He's really very good at this improvisation lark - he even snuck in a few little humorous bits (like the Pink Panther theme and A Policeman's Lot when the police were mentioned in the captions ...)

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
The nice salesman told me (an elderly 'singleton') that the car is a 'babe magnet'.

I've had the vehicle for a day already, and not one 'babe' have I had to peel off yet...

[Disappointed]

IJ

Sue him under the Trades Descriptions Act!
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O, I'm a patient sort of chap. I'll give him another week...
[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am finally free! It's taken until now to hand over, including on working all weekend, well, bar a couple of gigs, and pulling an all nighter on Sunday night. I went in yesterday morning to hand back my work laptop, phone and keys and ended up there for 3½ hours! Total pain that railway engineering works over the weekend meant I wasn't prepared to spend the hours travelling to leave the stuff, post the keys back through the letterbox and run.

The extra hours meant I was too late to get in a long enough sleep to go out in the evening, to a recording of My Teenage Diary, which is always enjoyable live. (I applied for a lot of tickets thinking I would have finished by now.)

I am especially chuffed that I been saving holiday pay through my temp company for the last two or three years and never claimed any, which means I have an income until Christmas - not a huge income but at least something to live on.

Gigs at the weekend were the amazing CC Smugglers, who had the Union Chapel up dancing (damn difficult dancing in pews), supporting the Keston Cobblers Club on Saturday night. I was there more to see CC Smugglers, having seen them at Cambridge (Folk Festival) in the taster session on the Saturday morning and not been able to get into the tent on the Saturday night, outside not being an option in the downpour. I don't think I was the only one who preferred the support from how full the chapel was for the first band compared to the second.

Sunday lunchtime I saw Bjarte Eike and Barokksolistene's Alehouse at the Sam Wanamaker Theatre (£10 standing ticket) - which was an esoteric mix of folk, particularly Niel Gow's tunes, and Purcell, with lots of dance and interaction - great fun live.

[ 31. October 2017, 11:52: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13542 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I am finally free!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

....and clearly making the most of it!

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Enjoy your freedom, CK, and happy hunting when you start looking for something else. [Smile]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, CK! [Axe murder]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1829 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Now that it's November,
quote:
... month of misery and mayhem
It's night for most of the afternoon
And p.m. for most of the a.m.

I don't feel at all that I'm being a wimp by turning on the thermostat (a bit) and donning socks for the first time since early May.

At 8°, it was rather crisp when I went for my amble.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016