homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 40)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Pete

Jengie Jon

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed - and do please keep us posted, Uncle Pete.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed - small progress is better than none at all. Prayers continuing to ascend though.

[Votive] WW [Votive]

It's gone back to being cold but bright here (-3°); it really doesn't seem to know whether to go into full-on winter or just bumble around in late autumn. There were a few flakes of sn*w yesterday though - they can keep those at least until we get the winter tyres on the Pigletmobile.

[Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still quite mild here, albeit cloudy, and south-westerly-windy (which is OK).

The more shrill and strident doomsayers amongst what pass as newspapers here in Ukland are gleefully predicting ARCTIC WINTERS and ICY BLASTS....so nothing new there, then.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain!

☔️ ☔️ ☔️

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O dear.

[Disappointed]

Our 'yellow warnings' are for gusty winds between now and Thursday....with just a bit of rain thrown in now and then.

I'm not too bothered about the weather these days, as long as it's fine-ish on Sundays (so that peeps say to themselves, 'O, what a nice morning - let's all go to church....').

IJ

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, if you do want someone to post out a parcel of UK cards for you, let me know. I wouldn't mind doing it at all, as I don't have much family and am generally no more busy at Christmas than any other time.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to hear that there is a bit of progress with our Indian Friend, Uncle Pete - WW [Votive]

I was reading that there might be snow in London this weekend, but as it was in a newspaper that likes to spread doom and gloom I won't believe it till I see it.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Pete [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
I report with some guarded optimism that a certain friend in India has reported some minor progress. Which is better than no progress at all, says I.

WW [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] we miss you.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the news about WW, Pete.

Do not trust any weather forecast over 4 days, weather systems may be coming, but weather systems are known to veer. Over 4 days forecasts are nowt but a best guess.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
... Our 'yellow warnings' are for gusty winds between now and Thursday ...

I saw on Facebook that Orkney had an amber alert for potential flooding and surges on the Churchill Barriers - probably a combination of rain, wind and high tides.

To the average Orcadian, that probably means it might be a bit coorse. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The more shrill and strident doomsayers amongst what pass as newspapers here in Ukland are gleefully predicting ARCTIC WINTERS and ICY BLASTS.

It's all down to (a) Mr. Putin and the Russians and (b) Brexit. But it's OK as we'll soon be able to Take Control of our Weather.

[ 22. November 2017, 06:27: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... Our 'yellow warnings' are for gusty winds between now and Thursday ...

I saw on Facebook that Orkney had an amber alert for potential flooding and surges on the Churchill Barriers - probably a combination of rain, wind and high tides.

To the average Orcadian, that probably means it might be a bit coorse. [Big Grin]

I see that the new Bishop for the Orkneys is a woman - is this a divine response to such an heretical and ill-advised election?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We need a good cold winter. Without one we are once again going to have a plague of mosquitoes of biblical proportions next summer.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So how big are Biblical mosquitoes, then?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Be afraid!

Well, I only work one day a week and I’m off work [Roll Eyes] Only a minor UTI but the rushing round getting ready, the journey and the thought of 33 dear children waiting for me has defeated me.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I see that the new Bishop for the Orkneys is a woman - is this a divine response to such an heretical and ill-advised election?

I don't think you can blame the people of Orkney* - they've been voting Liberal since the end of World War II. And they didn't vote for Brexit either. [Big Grin]

[pedant alert]
* "The Orkneys" is wrong - the name of the county is Orkney or the Orkney Islands. Oh, and the episcopal title is Bishop of Aberdeen and Orkney.
[/pedant alert OFF]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I see that the new Bishop of Aberdeen and Orkney is none other than the Rt. Rev. Anne Dyer, who was once a Canon at our Cathedral, down here at the opposite end of the country!

I don't suppose they'll let her have St. Magnus, Kirkwall, back, will they?

No?

Thought not - but hopefully they'll at least let her preach there now and then....

I wonder how fluent she'll prove to be in Norwegian, once Orkney realigns itself post-Brexit... [Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
I don't think you can blame the people of Orkney - they've been voting Liberal since the end of World War II. And they didn't vote for Brexit either.

What a sensible place it sounds.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
I don't think you can blame the people of Orkney - they've been voting Liberal since the end of World War II. And they didn't vote for Brexit either.

I expect they will join The Shetlands in applying for union with Norway.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I knew that the See incorporated another place, but could not quickly check. I shall remember the county name for future reference. I remain bemused by the coincidence of the election of a woman as bishop and this severe weather and wonder if there be more to it than coincidence.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@GeeD: The election of the Revd Canon Ann Dyer was 9 November, the current flooding and snow in the UK, a fortnight later, has been across the north west and Wales (ie, not Aberdeen and Orkney). We had high winds last night in the south-east. There are high winds forecast in Orkney tonight, but that's normal, that's why there are so few trees. Snow in November this far south is not unusual. I have photos of snow across this southern region over 5 months a few years ago (November to March). Your point is?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am in Aberdeenshire and can confirm that the weather this month, whilst mostly grey skies and rain, is entirely normal for November.

The unusually bad weather has been confined to places which don't have female bishops.

[ 23. November 2017, 10:29: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

LOL!

A nice, breezy, sunny day here in a non-female-bishop* area.....

[Two face]

*i.e. we don't have one in the Diocese at the moment, though a suffragan see is still vacant...

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I’ve no idea what gender the local bishop is but the weather has been so-so. Some sun, some rain and too much wind.

☀️ ☔️ 💨

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I'm really not at all sure that this speculative connection between the gender of one's local Bishop, and the state of one's local Weather, actually works.

OTOH, I suspect Gee D was being ironic......

(Whew! What a pong of Dead Horse!)

In other news, I did some light gardening at Our Place today, and found, to my delight, that last night's gales had neatly deposited fallen leaves in exactly the right places for me to easily sweep or leaf-vac them up.

The garden waste bin is now full, so I'll wait until next week before trimming various plants down for the winter.

Now for supper - Tomato and Basil SOUP, with cheese-and-onion bread..... [Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
I'm really not at all sure that this speculative connection between the gender of one's local Bishop, and the state of one's local Weather, actually works.

OTOH, I suspect Gee D was being ironic......

As indeed I was.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think Curiosity was about right - from what i remember of Facebook pictures from Orkney around the time of Canon Dyer's appointment, the weather was unseasonably nice!

I don't ever remember the Bishop of A & O preaching in St. Magnus, but you never know ...

As for rejoining Norway, it has been suggested!

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

When my husband and I were travelling in northern Scotland in the late 1960s, I came across a newspaper in Wick which told of a group of Orcadians who wanted to secede from the UK. I can't remember whether they wanted to join Norway.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

They're probably just pining for the fjords.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
When my husband and I were travelling in northern Scotland in the late 1960s, I came across a newspaper in Wick which told of a group of Orcadians who wanted to secede from the UK. I can't remember whether they wanted to join Norway.

Moo

Either this or join with the Faroe Islands to form a new world superpower.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

As someone who also votes this way, but only since the early '70s, I thank you Mr Trainfan.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Pining for the fjords.....???

No, just feeling a bit blue.

Beautiful plumage, innit?

(For those mystified - this may both enlighten and entertain you).

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
... a group of Orcadians who wanted to secede from the UK ...

There was a group called the Orkney and Shetland Movement, who campaigned for a similar status to that of the Isle of Man, who put up a candidate* (a Shetlander) at the 1987 General Election: he didn't get in (see post above re: voting habits). IIRC a member of the Orkney Movement won a seat on the Orkney Islands Council in the mid/late 1980s, but it doesn't really operate on "party" lines: most members are independent.

* claim-to-fame/small-world moment: his late father-in-law was my father's best man.

In other news, we went to Canadian T*** the other day (they were having a sale) and got a 5-foot tree in a little pot, pre-lit with 100 white incandescent lights, for $70, reduced from $140, which I regard as something of a bargain. I may well apply more lights: I'm not sure that 100 is enough on a tree that size, and when they're white you need to have quite a lot for them to look effective. I'll see what the dollar-stores have in the way of baubles - they don't need to be posh. [Big Grin]

I haven't put it up yet ... [Two face]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's cold here, frosty and a brisk wind to add to the chill factor. I enjoyed seeing Oysterband at the Union Chapel last night as part of their 40th Anniversary tour, but waiting in the queue outside it was distinctly nippy. Apparently, according to part of John Jones' chat, the Union Chapel sits 900 - operative word being sits. They did get us all up briefly last night, but the pews make for fixed seating and not a lot of ability to move. A real contrast from seeing them at summer festivals in standing only tents.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, cold, but sunny here as well. The new boiler at Our Place is working, and keeping the church at a reasonable ambient temperature (IMHO), but attendance at the Feast of Christ the King was a bit thin.

Weekend wo**ing does tend to make our numbers a bit erratic. I counted at least 15 regulars missing this morning - about a third of the congregation we could expect if everyone was available, and turned up!

I am devoutly hoping that that mysterious place 'Away' doesn't tempt too many this Christmas - either that, or we become 'Away' for numerous visitors (as has happened in the past).

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had a big congregation this morning, as instead of the usual three services (8 a.m., 10:00 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.) we had a combined one at 10:30 which involved both the choir and the band.

It worked out very well indeed: D. managed to strike just the right balance so that the choir and the band both had enough to do, and in the bits we did together neither group felt uncomfortable.

Afterwards we had a chilli lunch in the hall; I had spent a good bit of yesterday producing one of the pots of chilli (aren't slow cookers wonderful?) and turning a batch of French sticks I'd made on Friday into garlic bread (which was consumed with considerable enthusiasm).

A very good morning altogether; the only thing that was missing was the proper collect:

Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Due to an abomination of a lectionary, this (my favourite collect of the whole year) appears in August. I mean, honestly, who's going to stir up their Christmas puddings in August?

[Confused] [Ultra confused] [Confused]

Advent next week - bring it on! [Yipee]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

We had a Scout & Guide Church Parade today, and set it in the context of Christ the King. Quite a good number in church, although (despite me having moaned at them) quite a few of our regulars Don't Come to parade services as they don't like them.

[ 26. November 2017, 21:48: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Piglet, the 'Stir-Up' collect is the Post-communion prayer for today's Eucharist in Common Worship, and we therefore dutifully prayed it.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

And, apropos of nothing in particular (except that it shows how much God loves us, and how much She wants us to be happy), here is a little piano piece by Herr Brahms, played by the scintillating fingers of Valentina Lisitsa.

Enjoy!

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Rats. Double- and triple-rats.

Mr. Liszt , that should be.

[Hot and Hormonal]

Time for bed, methinks.....

IJ

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, it is Liszt; the clue is in the lady's name: she's not called Brahmsitsa!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes - an odd coincidence, or not?

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An outpouring of spontaneous joy and rapture in the UK as Clarence House announces that Prince Harry is to marry his girlfriend Meghan Markle in the spring.

Yes, there's a lot of guff all over the air-waves - but I wish them well.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, yes - but there'll be little in the way of Real News for a while.... [Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

N.B. I'm sure Meghan Markle must be an anagram (or else perhaps of Albanian origin - Albanian names often seem like anagrams), but I haven't been able to find one.

Any suggestions?

Seeing as it's ROYAL FAMILY stuff, and therefore Holy and Sacred, be prepared for dispatch to the Tower if you should come up with something Unholy or Scurrilous...

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Re Valentina Lisitsa, BTW (yes, I have a bit of a thing about foreign lady pianists....).

There are suggestions that she may, indeed, be a revenant or reincarnation of the late Abbe Liszt.

There appear to be some pieces by Liszt which only she, and Liszt himself, are/were actually capable of playing...

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Meghan Markle must be an anagram ...

I've just put it into Andy's Anagram Generator (yes, that is an Actual Thing) and the best I can come up with is:

German elk ham

which I'm sure must be very nutritious. [Big Grin]

I wish them all that they'd wish for themselves. [Smile]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope they cost us less than Trumpista is costing the Excited States.

PS - he still has the Hewitt gap in his teeth, but I think he looks more like Charles than he did when he was a boy.

All the best, Please elope. [Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016