homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 42)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re black dogs: Winston Churchill was probably thinking of Black Shuck rather than any earthly hounds. Although he did say he preferred pigs to dogs and cats.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly he did. Black Pig doesn't sound quite right, though - shades of Captain Pugwash, as seen here.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our narrow boat was called Jamm Butty but it spent so long in black primer paint that I wrote ‘Black Pig’ in big white letters on the side. It was great entering the big Severn locks in Gloucester etc and being loud hailered by the lock keeper as ‘Black Pig’.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jamm Butty and Black Pg are both great names for boats. My dad's last narrow boat was called Ellington and was painted in black, brown and beige.
We went up to London with vague plans to see the Cezanne portraits at the National Portrait Gallery. Decided that it was rather expensive when neither of us had any real interest in them, so we mooched round the National Gallery for an hour or so stopping when we saw things that caught our fancy.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
... You're the new restaurant in town ...

I don't think it's that; when we set them up in the early summer the birds were coming in droves.

There was a bird disease here later in the summer that was said to have been spread via bird-feeders, and the city council advised everyone to take their feeders down; we took ours down before we went on holiday in August and put it back up after we came back - they'd said it was safe again, but the birds haven't come back at all. A friend who lives on the other side of the river put hers back and seems to be pretty-much back to normal. Maybe ours will come back when we get sn*w and the birds' natural food is a bit harder to come by.
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
... Winston Churchill ... did say he preferred pigs to dogs and cats.

I always knew he was a Good Chap! [Snigger]

I've finally succumbed to The Lurgy - there have been colds going round and this morning I woke with a headache, a throat-ache and feeling as though I'd been kicked by a medium-size horse. And we've got to go and sing at an Advent bash tonight at one of the local United churches (along with sundry other choirs). D. reckons we'll probably be the only choir that will actually sing Advent music: we're singing Rejoice in the Lord alway by that very talented 16th-century composer A. Nonymous.

As long as no-one sings O holy night*.

* I'm not holding my breath ... [Projectile]

[ 06. December 2017, 19:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
As long as no-one sings O holy night*.

* I'm not holding my breath ... [Projectile]

I feel your pain.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dreadful song. We were made to sing it one year by conductor who could not believe Australians in choirs generally viewed it with distaste. Especially the altos. He thought that once we learnt it, we would think it was wonderful, as he did.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a hilariously bad rendition of 'O Holy Night' on the internet. Unfortunately I do not have the URL. It is sung by a very talented singer who knew just how to make it awful.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... As long as no-one sings O holy night ... [Projectile]

Someone did. The choir wasn't bad but they had a miked-up soloist whose vocal cords should have been cut at birth. [Eek!]

As I've said before, if I never hear that piece again it'll be far too soon.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had to accompany O Holy Night at a work fundraising concert last night.

I was intrigued that the student singing it got the most rapturous round of applause, and was told afterwards part of that was that people really appreciated the lack of backing track and minimal microphone use. (And, to me rather than the student who loves O Holy Night, several people admitted to hating the song, but loving the performance.)

I didn't stay for the second half of the concert, but my guess was there was solid miking up and backing track use. I sat there bemused through most of the first half because I could play ALL the songs chosen by other people...

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was in a hardware store last night, buying suet cake for the birds, and they were blasting "O Holy Night" out on some rather bad speakers. Awful.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this the song of which you speak?

(BF runs hastily for cover......)

[Snigger]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

At least the soloist didn't bollocks up a piece that I actually liked; even if she'd had the voice of an angel, I'd have hated it. [Big Grin]

BF, well may you run for cover ... [Big Grin]

eta: I had to turn it off after the first line, and I still need ear-bleach.

[Eek!]

[ 07. December 2017, 20:19: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Two face]

Luckily, I don't think That Song is heard much over this side of the pond.

Yet.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You are indeed lucky. I first heard of it in Belfast, when D. told me about a community carol-singing bash in the Cathedral at which it was sung by the Ardoyne Ladies' Male Voice Choir (name changed to protect the tasteless). A friend who was in the congregation overheard the following response from an East Belfast Protestant:
quote:
Sure, these Fenians are terrible singers, so they are!

[Killing me]

Last night's bash could have been worse: at least none of the choirs sang Silent Night or O little town of Bethlehem to the Wrong Tune*, which are immediately below OHN on my "consign to hell" list.

* St. Louis - if you must, look it up for yourselves. [Devil]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I did. May you be forgiven for mentioning it....

[Waterworks]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Ghastly, isn't it? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Exquisitely so...

IJ

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My personal bete-noir at this time of year is Silent Night [Projectile]

Piglet I'm with you on the Advent music - love the Rejoice in the Lord BTW - used to be attributed to Radford, I think. We've had the Byrd last Sunday, 3rd Sunday it'll be This is the record of John, with harpsichord accompaniment [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've got the Record of John (with solo piglet) on the 17th too. [Yipee]

eta: we've got the tune Irish on Sunday, and D. has dug out a descant he wrote for it about 30 years ago in the pub after choir practice in Orkney; I'd forgotten what a wee cracker it was. [Smile]

[ 08. December 2017, 04:52: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good morning all. A very pleasant sprinkling of sn*w here. The sort you can walk in very easily but looks pretty everywhere.

Sunshine too!

A little training walk round Aldi then a play in the snow by the lake for the pup, I think [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sounds good... [Big Grin]

No sn*w here yet, but we have the nice sunshine, along with a brisk, invigorating (i.e. chilly) north-west wind. Quite OK for December, so more of the same, please.

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The weathermen have been muttering the S word around here, so the road-treatment trucks went out last night. Nowadays they use brine. A couple of passes of treatment, and you drive on roads that look like the Bonneville Salt Flats.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember a TV commercial that started out praising salt for melting snow and ice. It then went on to say
quote:
Do you know what salt likes to eat? CARS!
Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

What quantity of sn*w are they predicting, Brenda?

Anything over a centimetre here, and the county Grinds To A Halt....though, in all fairness, other parts of Ukland usually get more, and are not so unprepared for this amazing, and unprecedented, winter phenomenon, which always seems to be the Worst Arctic Freeze In Living Memory.

You'd think, from the UK popular press (aka adult comics), that Winter Had Never Happened Before...

IJ

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have had a couple of snow showers but nothing has settled and the sun is out now.

It's different a few miles inland though, up in the valleys.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, coming through Your Neck of the Woods by train at lunchtime, we could see the snow on the hills.

I was thinking of going to a concert up beyond Caerphilly this evening, but heavy snow is forecast and I'm unfamiliar with the road, so we'll stay in. Sadly.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Reports vary at this moment, but the DC area is far famed for panicking at the first flake.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Reports vary at this moment, but the DC area is far famed for panicking at the first flake.

Well, at least one Flake will be leaving DC after next year.

(I'll get me hooded snow parka...)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last time it snowed us in here, the Co-op sold out of bread and milk and loo rolls. Then a delivery lorry got through.

Flowers.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Still no sn*w here, although I've just been looking at Environment Canada and there's a sn*wfall warning in effect with up to 8 inches. Stuff that for a lark - we still haven't got winter tyres on the Pigletmobile ... [Eek!]

Busy day today - D's organ recital at lunchtime, then some shopping for me and we're heading out soon for the dress rehearsal of the Durufle Requiem, and God knows how long that'll take.

My cold isn't getting any better; I think I may be allergic to Durufle. The last really bad cold I had before we left Belfast came on very suddenly while turning pages for D. in a performance of it there. [Big Grin]

Bloody silly thing to be doing for a Christmas concert anyway, if you ask me (not that anyone is).

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Colds are revolting even if mild. When bad they are dreadful. Sounds as if you need a hot lemopn drink and honey and laced with something strong.

We had a maths teacher at school, seemingly a dragon but after five years of her, some of us knew she had a softer side. In winter in her lesson she would send those suffering from a cold to sit in the sunshine. Her favourite cure was to take Woods Great peppermint Cure or similar name. The one with the green label as that tasted worse and so would be better for your cold than the more pleasant brown label.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... you need a hot lemon drink and honey and laced with something strong ...

I have proprietary powdered lemony stuff, extra lemon juice and honey. Sadly, we haven't replenished the drinks cabinet with a whisky-type beverage yet; we have GIN, but I don't think it would be quite right in the circumstances. Am currently pondering BRANDY ... [Big Grin]

We grabbed a (very good) bite of supper in the choir pub after the Durufle rehearsal - Thai chicken stir-fry shared between us and a couple of glasses of very nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc (the nicest liquid on the planet) - and I'll take a dose of the aforementioned powder mixture before I go to bed.

At least I don't have to sing the Durufle* - just turn the pages. [Big Grin]

* They're also doing Handel's Dixit Dominus, which I've never sung, but it looks like one absolutely knackering sing, especially for the sopranos - it's consistently frighteningly high. [Eek!]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Obviously not for you while you still have the cold.

Once upon a time I used to sing soprano. Definitely an alto now or lower if needed.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I sang soprano until we moved to Belfast (in my mid-twenties) - the top line in the choir there was all wee boys, but (unlike most British cathedrals) they had both male and female altos, so it was a case of sing alto or nothing, and I didn't find the lower range hard at all.

I've certainly lost some of my top notes, but I can still make a reasonable fist of most of the descants when I'm on form, and D. encourages it - he always says "sopranos and anyone else who can get up there". [Smile]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm ... my former choir master was NOT happy with basses trying to recreate the descants of their youth by singing in falsetto!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Hmmm ... my former choir master was NOT happy with basses trying to recreate the descants of their youth by singing in falsetto!

Not something I would attempt without an exclusion zone running into hundreds of yards. My falsetto is loud and piercing, and not necessarily beautiful...

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would like my flat to stop being a laundry, please. My daughter has just moved back in: I helped her pack up last weekend, hauled a bag of dirty clothes on my horrible train journey home and washed that lot so she had clean clothes when she arrived. Her luggage arrived on Monday and I collected her from the station on Tuesday. Everything she has brought home has a funky smell, care of her doped up neighbour and the cost cutting builders of her last studio flat. Connecting the extractor fan systems together meant that someone illegally smoking in their internal shower room distributed the stench to surrounding flats every time they used their shower or toilet. Smoking is theoretically not allowed in that building, dope dealing even less permitted.

Everything I had with me last weekend had to be washed after just 24 hours; the stuff that has been there for 3 months is impregnated, including plastics with rubberised surfaces. My daughter is allergic to this particular substance and is gradually feeling better since we confined the whackiness behind the closed bathroom door in sealed bags, but there is still so much more to wash, and at this time of year, dry.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Is there perhaps a convenient launderette at which you can simply blitz the lot in one go? Possibly by taking over 2 or 3 machines....?

The impregnated stench is a bummer, though, I agree... [Projectile]

@piglet - best of luck with This is the record of John. (I presume you refer to the little piece by young Master Gibbons?)

Magdalen College, Oxford shows us how.

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What are these laundrettes of which you speak? I don't think there's one within 10 miles.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O dear.

I know of at least two in this Fair City, and one other which (alas! alack!) closed recently when the proprietor decided to retire.

IJ

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have a few launderettes round here but we are a student town so we also have blocks of bedsits that I assume are rather like the one the Kitten resently escaped from. Apparently you don't need to follow the usual building guideliens when building student accomodation hence the four or five blocks that have been thrown up here in the last eighteen months.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes - ours is a university town also.

I thought (in my innocence) that launderettes, or washeterias (lovely word!) were still as common as they seemed to be in the Days Of My Yoof.

IJ

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to the sn*w: In Shrewsbury they've closed the Wyle Cop hill to traffic - too dangerous with the bends. More forecasted for tomorrow ...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It is snowing in the mid-Atlantic states as I write this. Quite impressive coming down, but luckily it's been so warm that it cannot stick to the roads and traffic is fine. When the temperature drops tonight below freezing it'll start getting creative.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When we parked the Pigletmobile before the concert this evening, we had a short, pleasant walk to the church where it was held. By the time we came out, there was about 6 inches of snow. We went for a drink with some of the choir and when we tried to get home, the lack of snow-tyres combined with as-yet-untreated roads meant we couldn't get up the hill leading to the château, so we went back to the Cathedral, phoned for a taxi and abandoned the car.

Canadian winters, eh? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just one word - snow.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O CALAMITY! WOE, WOE, AND THRICE WOE!

SN*W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, sort of - by now it's all just gone slushy.

And it's raining/sleeting.....

And only about 50% of our usual congregation turned up for Church (but full marks to them - and we do know that some of our peeps are wo*king and/or have children sick with the Lurgy).

The forecast for Christmas is for milder weather, however, so hopefully we'll see a goodly number in Church to celebrate the Saviour's birth!

(O, BTW, @piglet - hope you soon get the Pigletmobile back safe and sound)

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

"The snow was so bad that only the elderly, halt and lame made it to church" [Devil]

Not too much of it here, but our congregation was down by about a quarter. It's now very slushy, will be nasty if it freezes later.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Actually, BT, you're not far off the mark!

Meanwhile, the SN*W has started falling again... [Help]

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016