homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's our last night in Heidelberg - last Weissbiers - the time flies by when we are here. This afternoon I enjoyed a Berliner with my coffee (a doughnut).

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't that what JFK described himself as?

'Ich bin ein Berliner....'

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
British and Canadian and Australian Republicans may scroll past this post. Also Kiwis.

65 years ago on February 6th 1952, the King died. Those of us who sang to the Queen "Long to reign over us" had no idea how literally she would take this prayer. More years, Ma'am!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As an Oz republican, I can say that she has proven very true to her Coronation oaths, much more so than many of her ministers here and elsewhere. I'd suspect that the reason she has not abdicated is that to do so would be contrary to her oaths.

On a variation, I can clearly remember the change each morning from singing God Save the King to Queen.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We spent the weekend on the boxes. We are getting to the critical state of chaos where you can’t move round the apartment properly anymore but there’s still flipping loads of stuff to be packed. [Help]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sympathies, LVER. If anyone could invent packing boxes with TARDIS power, they'd make a fortune.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
... What are these Things Taken Out Of Boxes of which you speak? Surely the point of possessing Boxes is to Keep Things In Them.

I don't think we actually possess them - they came from the moving company, so presumably once they've been emptied (and their contents put neatly on shelves and in cupboards and ursularia) they'll be given back.

I suspect that where we'll need the TARDIS properties may be not so much in the boxes as in the house ... [Help]

However, we now have a date for the reunion with our belongings: the movers are to deliver our stuff to the new house a week on Wednesday.

We'll get our winter clothes back!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

And the rest of our bears. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can do without the winter clothes but those poor bears! They will need much TLC to get over the trauma.

Eeyore seems to be coping on the bed but he does mutter to himself sometimes at night moaning about the great lumping bears taking over the place - there is no pleasing some people.

Seeing as the bears were there first he has a bit of a cheek but he's always been a bit self-centred - I must find an empty honey-pot and a broken balloon for him.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
65 years ago on February 6th 1952, the King died.

I remember that vividly. It was my eighteenth birthday and my first year of college. I woke up in the morning, and my roommate said, "Mary". I said "Yes", expecting that the next thing she would say was "Happy Birthday". Instead she said, "King George died!"

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got a WhatsApp thingy from my friend in Mysore last night that I rather like:

quote:
If you love someone let them go.

If you hate someone let them go.

Basically let everyone go.

People are Stupid!

I think that at 31 he is a bit young to be so cynical but I can see his point.

A Question: Why is there much month left at the end of the money?

[ 07. February 2017, 14:18: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, your young friend is indeed rather more cynical than he should be at his age! He sounds like me, at my age (slightly more than twice his).

As regards the Egregious Eeyore, I think I would rather be inclined to stuff him inside the hunnypot, covering same with the broken balloon. Lessons need to be taught and learned.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Why is there much month left at the end of the money?

When I was paid monthly I always found that January was when there was the most month left at the end of the money. Where I worked in Belfast was closed from the afternoon of Christmas Eve until 2nd January, and we were paid on the last Thursday before Christmas, which sometimes meant that January had six weeks, and there was no way one month's salary was going to last that long!

Legal whatnots now completed for the purchase of the new Château Piglet; D. just has to go to the bank tomorrow and instruct them to pay out the dosh. This may be more complicated than it should be, as we're forecast to get a big dump of weather, but with any luck the roads will have been cleared by the time we have to get anywhere.

Then (trotters crossed) we should get the keys on Thursday.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

rather excited piglet

PS I think WW's right - the bears will need a fair bit of TLC (and hugs) after being in storage for nearly six months. [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

PS I think WW's right - the bears will need a fair bit of TLC (and hugs) after being in storage for nearly six months. [Eek!]

Just tell them it was hibernation, rather than storage.

But they will still need TLC and hugs.

[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Just tell them it was hibernation, rather than storage.
No, you can't do that. They'll suffer a mental crisis, being no longer sure if they're bears or squirrels.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I quite like the hibernation idea. [Smile] Not all squirrels seem to hibernate - there are still a few in our friends' garden who come up to the deck and help themselves to the bird-food we put out.

Money now exchanged, final pre-purchase inspection of house done and spectacular view properly admired (it was a bit misty the day we went to view the house, so we couldn't fully appreciate it).

Wow cubed. [Yipee]

We think we may have to acquire more Stuff to fill all the storage space in it - there appear to be more cupboards than you could shake a stick at ... [Big Grin]

We got enough sn*w last night for D. to exercise the sn*w-blower, but not really enough to make life difficult; that's apparently due to happen tomorrow night, when they're forecasting about a foot of the stuff. Hmph.

Talking of sn*w-blowers, there's apparently one included with the house, so we won't have to buy one.

Further [Yipee]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is no such thing as extra storage space. It will fill up all by itself with no effort on your part -- much like "extra" bookshelves.

I'm so glad you're so happy with your house, and trust that the bears will be too.

[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I was about to post the same as Pigwidgeon - it is axiomatic that there is NEVER enough storage space - even when you design your own house and think you can never, ever use it all!

There are certainly never enough bookshelves even if a couple of hundred of mine are now stored on the Tablet.

The move sounds wonderful and the view sounds more than exciting.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OTOH moving house always proves that your *present* cupboards are like the Tardis. You get all the stuff out and go “how did that all fit in there? This defies the laws of physics.”

We have started selling all the stuff that we don’t want to keep. The items that we can sell for more than about €10 we’re listing individually (a sewing machine that’s been in the cellar since the last house move, an almost unworn pair of shoes that hurt my feet…) on a well-known small ads site at highly bargainous prices. The rest we’ll flog in a general junk sale. I don’t think we’ll make all that much money but the purpose is to get rid of things and I’d rather sell them (or give them away) than throw them out.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our house moving seems to have reached an Annoying Hiatus. We have signed the contracts, the Vendors are about to sign, but there seem to be holdups further down the line. It had all been going so well: Sigh ...

Re. Cupboards etc.: why is it that we have thrown a lot of stuff away, taken things to the charity shop, put items in a convenient builders' skip (with permission!) - yet the house looks Just As Full As Ever?

[ 09. February 2017, 08:34: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just spent the morning cleaning and tidying the kitchen. Not an occupation I enjoy at all - but satisfying once done [Smile]

The fruits of my labours can be seen on my 'room' blog.

Now a well deserved cup of coffee and some cashews (nut snacks due to low carb diet - on going)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Our house moving seems to have reached an Annoying Hiatus. We have signed the contracts, the Vendors are about to sign, but there seem to be holdups further down the line. It had all been going so well: Sigh ...

Re. Cupboards etc.: why is it that we have thrown a lot of stuff away, taken things to the charity shop, put items in a convenient builders' skip (with permission!) - yet the house looks Just As Full As Ever?

It's a corollary of Parkinson's Law "Matter expands to fill the space available". (That's how the universe works, so it shouldn't be a surprise.)
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think you have the right of it, Penny. [Big Grin]

We got the keys this morning and are now Proud House Owners. [Yipee]

It seems that we may have to ditch some of our "moveable" storage things (chests of drawers, the pull-out larder cupboard) because (a) there isn't space for them; and (b) there's (possibly) enough storage space allocated already.

We're hoping that the big things we won't have space for (a superannuated sofa, a double bed and so on) will be able to go to Habitat for Humanity or some such; it's probably not worth trying to sell them.

Now if it would just stop sn*wing* ... [Big Grin]

* we're forecast to get about a foot of sn*w between now and tomorrow. [Frown]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

We got the keys this morning and are now Proud House Owners. [Yipee]

Yay!
quote:

Now if it would just stop sn*wing* ... [Big Grin]

* we're forecast to get about a foot of sn*w between now and tomorrow. [Frown]

Here's hoping you don't have too much hefting to do with sn*w on the ground.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Just make sure that, as new PHOs, you have in the New House (a) heating, (b) water, (c) comfy chairs, (d) kettle, (e) alcohol (to taste), and (f) easily-cooked food.

The sn*w can then look after itself....!

Best wishes - Exciting Times!

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Talking of sn*w, we've got a few flurries here, down in the bottom right-hand corner of UKipperland.

I blame Garbage and Trumpannon (and, of course, the Mexicans).

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Our Choir Director, fearing snow, has just cancelled tonight's rehearsal.

To be fair, he has to make a 50-mile round trip, and his eyes are giving him problems.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, from a not dissimilar location, I wouldn't call what I've been having flurries. Widely spaced single crystals or very small clusters. All afternoon, but nothing to show for it anywhere.

Oh drat, the Moon has now disappeared again so no chance of catching the eclipse tonight.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Widely spaced single crystals

is all we've had. It's been pretty cold, mind.

I've been cheered up by the orangey fumes from the kitchen as MotherinElmet has been marmalade making.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Perhaps ours were widely spaced single crystals etc. - I didn't stay out long enough to find out (wuss that I am...).

IJ

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay Piglet [Yipee]
We've been home owners and moved in for over 12 months. There are still boxes to unpack and half the rooms (in a 3-bed semi) are a bit of a muddle... not helped by 2 full-time jobs, DIY projects, and visiting Sandemaniac's parents on a regular basis. (The parental Knotweeds live much closer, so can be visited with much less planning).

There were slight flurries of white stuff here near the cattle-crossing this afternoon, but none of it settled. Not sure if that's [Frown] or [Smile] .

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A sprinkling of white stuff is settling here on car roofs and fence tops. Nothing so far on the pavements. Which is a Good Thing™, because I was wearing suede boots to work and out to the theatre and would have been most aggrieved to have spoilt their black elegance with white watermarks.

Tonight I saw Nice Fish which was surreal. It is, according to the programme, based on prose poems strung together into a sort of narrative

[ 10. February 2017, 22:18: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Our Choir Director, fearing snow, has just cancelled tonight's rehearsal ...

D. cancelled Thursday's too, which was just as well, because by the time we'd have been going home it was really snowing in earnest.

He went into the office late in the evening to sort out his programme for Friday's organ concert, and by the time he came back (very late - he's a total night-owl) he had to dig a little space at the base of the drive for the Pigletmobile. By this morning, a combination of being ploughed in, an accumulation of about two feet of snow and well-sub-zero temperatures meant we couldn't get the car shifted at all. Someone who was already at the Cathedral came and picked us up and the concert went ahead, but it got stuck again later, and it took the help of a friendly neighbour with a heavy-duty snow-blower to get it freed. Poor little car. [Frown]

The people we're house-sitting for don't get back until the end of March, so we're not actually moving into the new Château Piglet until the beginning of April, but our stuff is supposed to be being delivered next Wednesday - we'll probably have to do some fairly serious digging and snow-blowing up there before that can happen.

It's all go (I think) ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

A light covering this morning. Can see the grass sticking up through it. Still falling, but I can see the trees a couple of hundred yards away. You may mock, Piglet.

[ 11. February 2017, 07:26: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It is sn*wing lightly here, so no need to dig out the Episcopal Chariot (if there were such a vehicle)...

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

We've had more than forecast, so I thought I was headed for some private hygge, but no. It was drivable, anyway. And I'm not going anywhere again until tomorrow.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
... You may mock, Piglet.

Thank you - I shall.

[Snigger] [Killing me] [Devil] [Killing me] [Snigger]

D. has just gone up to the new house with the snow-blower from the house where we're staying; we went up this afternoon thinking we'd need to dig out with shovels, but he reckoned the snow was still soft enough that the blower would work, which would obviously be much easier.

There's an annoying irony in the fact that the snow-blower we've inherited with the new house is in the shed, whose door is blocked by snow ... [Help]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

We've got a very cold wind and the occasional flurry - no snow blower needed!

I'm being lazy, skipping Church walking the dogs in the woods instead.

I've got the ridiculous cold lurgy almost everyone has - it slows me down and I hate being slowed down [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to hear you've got the the dreaded lurgy, Boogie! May appropriate lit-(French: bed)-urgy, rest, food, and play with the beloved canines soonish restore you to full health! [Votive]

Did you ever get back your bluetooth headphones that were lost at the German airport? I wonder if you could ring or write them to ask. Perhaps they were handed in after all? Always believe in the good in humankind, and with the German efficiency at organising things, they might even be helpful with lost property there, who knows! [Smile]

Piglet: I hope all goes well with the clearing of at least some of the snow! Oh, and once you've liberated the snowblower from its white prison, you and D. could have a little snowblower battle! After all, you'll have two of them for a while! [Big Grin] [Yipee]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Thanks Wesley J - when we got to the airport it felt like too big a task to find the lost property office.

Good idea to phone 'tho - I'll get my son on it!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The correct term for the illness which Boogie has (along with about 90% of the population of UKipperland - I blame Garbage and Trumpannon) is The Dreaded Lurgy. The capital letters are most important, as they emphasise the Gravity of this Fell Disease. Skipping Ch**ch and going Dog-Walking are sovereign remedies, though.

I am sympathetic, as I've had TDL on and off (mostly on) since bl**dy Christmas..... [Mad]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I suspect that TDL is a fairly close cousin of A Bug, and a moe serious variant of Feeling A Bit Off-Colour Today. Of course both are different to I Put My Back Out (from which I occasionally suffer).
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's been a glorious weekend here, both mornings the weather forecast on my phone has predicted 0% possibility of precipitation and it has been right! Not a cloud in the sky, pleasant breezes and temperatures hovering either side of 30 Celsius. It is very rare for temperatures here in the village to go over 35, just possible in late April and May before the rains start. Deepest sympathies to those in Aussie Land and South Africa with their rather higher temperatures.

This week I wrote a long screed to the woman who was my co-counselling partner for many years and poured out all the woes in my life - then today I called her and found that all my angst about things had just dissipated; obviously the email I sent helped me to put things in perspective - not everything is perfect in my life but ultimately I have SO much to be grateful for, a fact I tend to forget at times.

Back to Out-patients in the morning to see the lovely consultant and, as Tuesday is Valentines Day, a quick visit is required to the ward to give the staff some sweeties to share. Here's hoping they don't want to admit me again.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Here's hoping they don't want to admit me again.

Yea and amen to that, but if you keep giving them sweeties, you just never know ... [Big Grin]

It's a glorious, sunny but very cold day (-17°C, feeling like -20) here; I'm messing about on here while D. plays for the 11:45 service (the one with the band).

I must be getting old; we're going to a 75th birthday party (one of the Archdeacons) this afternoon.

elderly piglet

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The ward staff were grateful for the sweets, the subsequent tests and so on in Out-Patients went well and we were home by midday - an excellent result. The Dr didn't mention about re-admission, just to keep on taking the tablets then go back in three weeks time...

...AND, I noticed lying in bed last night, in the dark, that there is a definite improvement in that I could at least see where the windows are with my right eye covered.

All good stuff.

BUT, although I recognise their utility I loathe and detest the dilating eye-drops that have to be put in, particularly trying to walk to the bus stop on a bright and sunny morning - I kept my eyes closed for about 38 minutes of the 40 minute bus ride home then slept until it had all worn off.

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I suspect that TDL is a fairly close cousin of A Bug, and a moe serious variant of Feeling A Bit Off-Colour Today. Of course both are different to I Put My Back Out (from which I occasionally suffer).

Another ailment, endemic around this time, is SPOD (Seasonal Pissed Off Disorder), to which I am prone. This can be cured by Summer (assuming we get one).
Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

By the way, I was negligent in my reference to A Bug.

I should, of course, have spoken of The Bug That's Doing The Rounds.

Summer, of course, brings on the dreaded of affliction of I Really Can't Stand This Hot Weather (not an ailment to which I am prone, providing the humidity is low).

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The affliction of I Can't Stand This Hot Weather is tempered by a lack of The Arthitis I Bad When It's Cold And Damp.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW ,I'm glad there's an improvement in your sight. What a worry our eyes are when they grow dim.
I was brave today and made an appointment to return to the dreaded eye clinic as my left eye is playing up too.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Echoing Tree Bee, WW I'm glad your sight seems to be improving. My dad is also having to have eye drops and at this week's review at the hospital was told that they're helping so he has to keep having them. He said that in something of a resigned fashion, I know it's not something he particularly enjoys, but then another relative is being treated for macular degeneration and is having not drops but injections into her eyes, so it could be worse! (I am pretty squeamish about eyes, I'm not sure I could handle that at all. My mum is on the waiting list for a cataract op and has already opted for the general anaesthetic, I'm pretty sure I'd do the same as that's the last thing I'd want to be conscious for!).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I had my first cataract operation I was semi-conscious for most of it, and was fascinated by the process. It was my surgeon's first procedure at that hospital, so he was telling the nursing staff of his preferences. Then the lens was aspirated, and I could see in a blurred manner the implant being slid in.
When the other eye was done, the anaesthetist asked me about the previous op, and when I told him how interested I had been in how things went, he promptly knocked me out cold for the whole thing. I was most disappointed.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016