homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting about the cataract surgery. I had my right eye done in July 2016, and a general anaesthetic wasn't on offer, only a sedative. And I'm pretty squeamish about my eyes. As it turned out, it was happily uneventful, save for the use of a vaguely Clockwork Orange - like device. (Actually, I don't know precisely what it looked like.) I thought that I would freak out, but the sedative helped me to be a good little soldier.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had laser eye surgery three years ago. It was the strangest experience of my life. You had to look up into the laser as it was doing its stuff. Like looking into a crazy kaleidoscope.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad you can all see eye to eye on this. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It lens itself to that sort of humour...

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
O, put a lid on all this 'ighbrow stuff....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was born with cataracts, and have had people prodding round my eyes most of my life. I had surgery on both eyes; both times I was knocked out (the second time at my request, as while I'm not exactly squeamish about it, I had no desire to be aware of what they were doing).

In other news, we got 79cm (about 2½ feet) of sn*w yesterday - it's apparently the biggest single sn*wfall there's been here since 1967. [Eek!]

If any of you consider moaning about a couple of measly inches, I shall mock without pity. [Snigger]

I didn't cross the threshold all day; the kind neighbour with the turbo-charged sn*w-blower came and cleared the drive, so there are sn*w-banks several feet high on either side.

It could have been worse: our Stuff is being delivered to the new Château Piglet tomorrow, the estate people have ploughed out the drive and there isn't any more sn*w expected until Thursday (6 inches, apparently).

Piglet, looking forward to being reunited with her bears. [Axe murder]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's bear day today for Piglet!! hope it goes uneventfully. I'd love a little bit of your snow - maybe the top 10cm? - just for a day or so for prettiness and snowman making with the ferijenet, who has only seen the stuff as a baby...you can keep the other 69cm though. (I'm struggling to visualise what that even looks like)

Happy half price chocolates day everyone [Smile]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy bear day Piglet! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

In other news, we got 79cm (about 2½ feet) of sn*w yesterday - it's apparently the biggest single sn*wfall there's been here since 1967. [Eek!]

If any of you consider moaning about a couple of measly inches, I shall mock without pity. [Snigger]

I didn't cross the threshold all day; the kind neighbour with the turbo-charged sn*w-blower came and cleared the drive, so there are sn*w-banks several feet high on either side.

It could have been worse: our Stuff is being delivered to the new Château Piglet tomorrow, the estate people have ploughed out the drive and there isn't any more sn*w expected until Thursday (6 inches, apparently).

Piglet, looking forward to being reunited with her bears. [Axe murder]

I had been praying for no sn*w for your move and it looks like the Clerk of the Weather took no notice whatsoever. I hope He sends rain to NZ instead, where fires threaten Christchurch
[Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As it turned out, we had a very easy move. Three lovely gentlemen (two who are called Derek and one who isn't) turned up with a vast lorry and somehow managed to squeeze all our belongings into the new house.

We haven't started properly unpacking yet, but we have retrieved some of the bears, who all looked as pleased to see us as we were to see them. [Smile]

And it's a beautiful day - the next batch of sn*w isn't expected to start until late tonight or early tomorrow.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay for the re-homed Piglet, D., and bears!

[Yipee]

More Yay for me, as today I went and did some Light Gardening at Our Place (the church front door has a raised bed nearby, plus tots and pubs, that all needed clearing/pruning/de-leafing etc.

After an hour-and-a-half, I felt Completely Knackered, but in a nice sort of way, and the main entrance to the church looks better than it did.

[Yipee]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As it turned out, we had a very easy move. Three lovely gentlemen (two who are called Derek and one who isn't) turned up with a vast lorry and somehow managed to squeeze all our belongings into the new house.

We haven't started properly unpacking yet, but we have retrieved some of the bears, who all looked as pleased to see us as we were to see them. [Smile]

And it's a beautiful day - the next batch of sn*w isn't expected to start until late tonight or early tomorrow.

Edited to add actual post. Still having breakfast coffee down here. [Hot and Hormonal]

Piglet, I do know the unpacking has to be done at some time, but at least you do not have a deadline rapidly approaching before your friends get back and you need to move out.

Enjoy finding old friends again and comfortable clothes and familiar objects.

[ 15. February 2017, 20:47: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Loth - that's exactly the way we're viewing it.

We had more sn*w today (about a further six inches), so we haven't been up to the house, but we're planning to go up tomorrow after D's concert and make a start on unpacking things.

We've spoken to a lady at the Cathedral who runs the drop-in group they have for people in need, and she said she'd ask if there'd be any takers for some of our unwanted furniture (they support people starting out in "low-income" housing who may need stuff to furnish their new places). This would suit us well, as it would be nice to support a Cathedral-run project.

BF - that sounds like a very Good and Noble Thing you did, and your knackeredness will be rewarded in Heaven. [Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Yay for the re-homed Piglet, D., and bears!

[Yipee]

More Yay for me, as today I went and did some Light Gardening at Our Place (the church front door has a raised bed nearby, plus tots and pubs, that all needed clearing/pruning/de-leafing etc.

After an hour-and-a-half, I felt Completely Knackered, but in a nice sort of way, and the main entrance to the church looks better than it did.

[Yipee]

IJ

Good that your recuperation has let you reach this stage.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my goodness. I have just had one of the great epiphanies of my life. [Eek!]

Get a ticket and come to Paris this minute. This may cost several thousands of your local currency units, but it will be worth it. Hie ye to the boulangerie on the corner of the avenue de Courcelles and buy their crème brûlée. It is the most flipping perfect foodstuff that can be imagined. The sugar is barely burnt – not enough to be bitter and still a little bit moist and crunchy. The cream is thick and unctuous and full of vanilla.

My life is complete. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I've always thought that one could happily subsist on just the aromas emanating from a French boulangerie..

Vive la France!

IJ

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

Get a ticket and come to Paris this minute. This may cost several thousands of your local currency units, but it will be worth it. Hie ye to the boulangerie on the corner of the avenue de Courcelles and buy their crème brûlée. It is the most flipping perfect foodstuff that can be imagined. The sugar is barely burnt – not enough to be bitter and still a little bit moist and crunchy. The cream is thick and unctuous and full of vanilla.

I had a similar event in Amboise, an excellent charcuterie. The rillons there were to die for. At least twice the price of any in the hypermarche but so much better that one would (and I mean this) forego wine to eat them.

You'll have no trouble finding the place. Follow the civilised but hungry crowd.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Hie ye to the boulangerie on the corner of the avenue de Courcelles and buy their crème brûlée.

I wish I had. It was the first day of the local Rhubarb Festival and I came home with a Yorkshire Curd Tart from a usually reliable source. It's gritty and the pastry is pale and waxy. Enough to make you [Waterworks]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Alas, tarts are very often unsatisfying....or so I am informed.

I'll shut the door on me way out.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A good, un-messed-about-with crème brûlée is indeed a wondrous thing. I don't understand why chefs seem so keen on corrupting it by putting Things in it.

Woke up this morning to find that the snow-plough had been past the drive and left a four-foot wall of snow blocking us in, and as our friends' snow-blower is still on the blink it took about half-an-hour of both of us shovelling and pushing to clear just a space big enough to get the Pigletmobile out.

As far as I can see, the only purpose served by snow is so that rich people can spend their holidays falling off mountains.

[Devil]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm, I like snow to look at,but anything else I can leave. Well at least it was exercise.
I suppose you don't want to hear that the weather in London was lovely for February. I passed a family picnicking in the park on my travels yesterday, and it's set to get even warmer over the next few days.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, a nice, mild, sunny day here as well.

What is this 'sn*w-blowing' of which you speak?

Mind you, I once went falling off mountains aka skiing in France, when there was so little sn*w on some slopes that they were using diggers to shift the stuff around. A couple of days later, it sn*wed continuously for about 36 hours, so they had to dig the diggers out.... [Help]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
... I suppose you don't want to hear that the weather in London was lovely for February ...

Too right I don't. [Devil]

The temperature's supposed to go up to +6° tomorrow, but for it to make any impression on the sn*w-heaps, it'd need to stay there for about a fortnight. D. remarked that when he came over for the interview there was still sn*w on the ground.

In April. [Waterworks]

We went up to the house earlier this evening, cleared a space in the drive for the Pigletmobile* and started unpacking things. I'm now reunited with my long boots, my favourite winter coat and several other pieces of warm clothing, which probably explains the expected temperature surge ... [Paranoid]

I know this is going to sound rather daft, but I'm actually enjoying sorting things out in the walk-in wardrobe. [Hot and Hormonal]

* There's space for two cars, and the Pigletmobile isn't very big, so we've actually got somewhere to put the sn*w, which is helpful.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love my walk-in wardrobe, Piglet, and it's easily one of the best things about my current abode (of which there are many good things, to be fair) - I've never been so organised about clothes and laundry in my entire life and there are those who would have you know I'm utterly over the top on the organisation front when it comes to these matters. Just because I have 4 different bags for laundry (whites, lights, darks and reds) and hang clothes up in rainbow order according to kind. Trousers, t-shirts, blouses, fleeces. Dress. Only one dress. But it goes at the end where there's most space under the rail.

I won't describe the day she discovered I put clothes pegs on which match/blend colour wise with the clothes I putting them on and just why I seemed to take a very long time to hang out laundry on the washing line...

Enjoy being reunited with everything which was in storage!

[ 19. February 2017, 13:23: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

I had a similar event in Amboise, an excellent charcuterie. The rillons there were to die for. At least twice the price of any in the hypermarche but so much better that one would (and I mean this) forego wine to eat them.

You'll have no trouble finding the place. Follow the civilised but hungry crowd.

Any decent charcuterie will have rillettes, though the best I had during my eight months in Paris were from a market stall near Port Royal RER station - between that and the hospital. Rillettes d'Oie (goose) have the simultaneous distinction of being utterly delicious and of being marginally healthier than rillettes de porc. Just thought I'd mention that, given the location next to what I think is France's leading cardiac hospital...

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A bit overcast here. The thermometer says 7C but it feels more like 3C.

Still, there are bright spots: the churchyard is full of snowdrops and crocuses, plus some tiny tête-a-tête daffodils near the north porch.

Matins was good this morning: bumper crowd who seemed to enjoy the music (Benedictus in B flat by Stanford and The Heavens are telling by Haydn) and hymns, including the magnificent Spacious firmament on high by Joseph Addison - the only hymn AFAIK that can be dated by its references to then scientific knowledge of the solar system.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had Schubert's German Mass this morning, and Byrd's Teach me, O Lord (with solo piglet) as the psalm (it fitted the psalm set in the lectionary and because it's by Byrd it's nicer than Anglican chant).

We've got the Cathedral AGM this afternoon, so it'll be a quick turn-round once D's finished with the 11:45 service: nip home, placate the cat with a few treats and grab some bread and cheese to take to the pot-luck sandwich lunch.

I wore the Favourite Coat this morning and, as it has done for the last 12 winters, it elicited admiring comments. It just refuses to wear out, which is just as well. [Smile]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know Byrd's "Teach me, O Lord"; we sang the very simple Attwood version last week. It's one of our "fall-back" anthems if we have had little time to rehearse.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nipped into the local Sainsbury's on the way back from Mass this morning. They were selling reduced fat cat milk! I'm impressed they got the cat to stand still that long [Snigger]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And not just one cat ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I nipped into the local Sainsbury's on the way back from Mass this morning. They were selling reduced fat cat milk! I'm impressed they got the cat to stand still that long [Snigger]

If it's a really fat cat, it might not be able to move much at all.
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

* There's space for two cars, and the Pigletmobile isn't very big, so we've actually got somewhere to put the sn*w, which is helpful.

You have a real Pigletmobile? Could it possibly be related to the personal transport of a certain gentleman best known as the creator of Playboar?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I can't help thinking that our Piglet has far better taste (in Pigletmobiles, I mean).

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The new chez rouge has been moved into. It is a wasteland of boxes and suitcases [Help]

In a couple of weeks from now it should be better but we’re still waiting for the man to come round and repaint the cupboard so we can rebuild the wardrobes. Also our new kitchen is smaller than our old kitchen so putting the crockery away is proving a challenge (some of it will go in the dining room but we don’t yet have the necessary furniture). OTOH the bottles are already all worthily ensconced in proper bottle racks in the cellar because we have our priorities straight. [Big Grin]

I keep reminding myself it will be awesome once it’s finished…

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with the unpacking LVER. I'm impressed that you keep wine long enough to lay down. Hope the snow hasn't hampered your unpackign plans too much, Piglet.
We went for a lovely walk along the Pool and Ravensbourne rivers today. The weather was very mild for February, and its an area that looks a lot better than it did when we lived there thiirty odd years ago. We went with a friend who knew a lovely French cafe for lunch at the end, so all in all a very satisfactory day out

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So the mystery of why people have been practising trying to herd cats is now revealed. Purr d'Auvergne anyone ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
... Hope the snow hasn't hampered your unpacking plans too much, Piglet ...

Not too bad really - and when we went up to the house today we could actually see some tarmac! [Yipee]

La Vie, I'm completely with you about unpacking when things aren't yet where they should be. The kitchen is so full of boxes that I can't get at the ground-level cupboards to put things into, and there are things that'll be going into the sideboard, but it's not yet where it's ultimately going to be, so there's no point in putting things in it before it is.

I did manage to get quite a big box in the kitchen emptied; it was full of glasses, which I put in an upper cupboard.

And they were all intact - D. is obviously better at packing than I am. [Overused]

We've decided that a couple of tall shelves which are currently a not-very-nice and rather scruffy green will be much better painted black, which will have to happen soon so that we can empty some boxes of books into them.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
... our Piglet has far better taste in Pigletmobiles ...

She certainly does! [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:

I won't describe the day she discovered I put clothes pegs on which match/blend colour wise with the clothes I putting them on and just why I seemed to take a very long time to hang out laundry on the washing line...

I'm the opposite (but equally "strange") - I have to use pegs which are *not* the same colour as the clothes being hung up.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Mad bu**ers, the of of yer - but it is, of course, vital to the maintenance of Civilisation As We Know It for plates etc., when being washed up, to be placed to drain in descending order of size.

IJ (who uses plain wooden pegs, as OLaHBM intended, to avoid any difficulty in colour co-ordination or not).

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I suspect that TDL is a fairly close cousin of A Bug, and a moe serious variant of Feeling A Bit Off-Colour Today. Of course both are different to I Put My Back Out (from which I occasionally suffer).

Another ailment, endemic around this time, is SPOD (Seasonal Pissed Off Disorder), to which I am prone. This can be cured by Summer (assuming we get one).
Summer, however, is the season of Hayfever's Starting To Kick In closely followed by High Pollen Count Today and I'm On The Full Dose Of Allergy Medication. Everything feels worse, of course, when accompanied by I'm Not Sleeping Well, which can strike at any time of the year and is usually Chronic.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Won't you get a wee bit of spring before all the horrors of summer start to kick in?

In Newfoundland, we got used to the fact that spring happened (usually) on the third Tuesday in May, at about 2:30 in the afternoon. All of a sudden the trees would burst forth with little green budlets and by the next day the temperature would have gone from about 5° to about 20° and we'd be into full-blown, hot, sticky summer.

We've yet to experience New Brunswick spring, but the temperature has risen considerably in the last few days and it's feeling decidedly less winterish. As I suggested a few posts back, I'm quite certain that my winter clothes becoming available again had something to do with it ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pace the posts on eye surgery above, the glaucoma in my left eye is progressing (in the right eye, mercifully, it hasn't yet caused any damage). This means I now have 3 lots of eye drops:

one, twice a day, in both eyes;
one, once a day, in both eyes;
one, twice a day, left eye only.

Given that I wear contact lenses, and the drops can only go IN the eyes when the lenses are OUT, It's Complicated!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining - I can put drops in every hour on the hour, if they protect my eyes, but I'm in a permanent state of ferment over whether I've put which drops in yet [Ultra confused] I also wish I had some inkling myself of how the disease is progressing, rather than having to go to the Eye Unit to play the Space Invaders game ...

Mrs. S, giving thanks for the good ol' NHS [Angel]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Summer, however, is the season of Hayfever's Starting To Kick In closely followed by High Pollen Count Today and I'm On The Full Dose Of Allergy Medication. Everything feels worse, of course, when accompanied by I'm Not Sleeping Well, which can strike at any time of the year and is usually Chronic.

Failing any of those, there are always:

I Just Can't Be Doing With This Hot Weather (spoken as soon as temperature rises above 25 degrees); and the old favourite

What We Really Need Is A Good Drop Of Rain (said after three consecutive days of warm sunshine).

But neither of these are really ailments, merely species of the Great British Grumble.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our church once had a CareForce worker from Kenya. He said that the weather in Kenya is so predictable you could practically set your clock by it, so wondered why he was told that British people talk about the weather all the time.
Within a week of being over here, he knew.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In taking in the plastic cover of my growframe to avoid Doris, I spotted an Iris Reticulosa out, and a self sown snowdrop from the ones brought from my parents' garden, and the doubles that came with the house.

But a load of bulbs I put in last year have not shown.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

We have a few snowdrops out. That's amazing as the bulbs have been in for years and never done anything before. Perhaps they know we're moving.

We also have early daffodils and several lovely Hellebores - my wife's favourite winter flower.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs S , sounds like you need a spreadsheet to keep track of your eye drops.
While I wait to see the eye doctor I'm managing to keep my eyes soothed with lubricating drops. I manage to get the drops in my eye rather than on the lid about 1 time out of 3. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs. S., I have only two lots of drops, but the bit I find tricky in the evening (when the doctor told me the best way is to lie down in bed so that the drops go in the eye rather than all over the place) is waiting the prescribed five minutes between the two different lots without falling asleep.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, Polly, ain't that the truth!

I did seriously consider getting a tick-sheet now I'm up to three lots of drops, cos it's getting harder to remember whether I've actually put the drops in, or merely thought about doing it *sigh*

In other and better news, we're just back from the Lighthouse in Poole, where we (and six friends, aka the Usual Suspects) had the most hilarious evening ever, watching The Play that Goes Wrong [Killing me] It was a sell-out and I can see why. As a cure for what ails you, it was unbeatable [Yipee]

Mrs. S, still chortling to herself [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016