homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Bon fete, mon pays!/ Happy birthday, my country! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bon fete, mon pays!/ Happy birthday, my country!
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

In other news have any of you ever done Plan Canada - the child-sponsoring charity thing?

We have sponsored a child now for some 15 or so years, but with World Vision. We get regular updates and some hand-written cards from the child being sponsored.

[ 29. June 2017, 10:33: Message edited by: sharkshooter ]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Live, from the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, it's Responsible Government in Action.

I'm just going to open up a vein now. [Yipee]

Mmmm, political fix....

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy 150 birthday to those celebrating colonialism under the current management.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Resolutely, and defiantly, I wish everyone a Happy Dominion Day!

(I shall be spending it very Canadianly - laundry, Saturday Globe&Mail, hotdogs/samosas, beer, fireworks. "As Canadian as.... possible under the circumstances.")

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just back off the aeroplane from Madrid last night, I walk into a celebratory capital of Ottawa with folk walking about in brief and borderline ephemeral red & white garments, with cases of beer hoisted on their shoulders. This morning, I arise to streets awash in monsoon-like torrents (although I bow to Pete in monsoon assessment capacity), cats looking out windows in their usual inchoate fury.

Still, I have a barbecue to go to and Prince Charles will be doing various soggy things today.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Live, from the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, it's Responsible Government in Action.

Mmmm, political fix....

As one of the three proponents of proportional representation, I will watch this with much interest. But has anyone else noted the affirmation of regal authority, when the Lieutenant Governor declined Premier Christy Clark's advice to dissolve the House?
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
But has anyone else noted the affirmation of regal authority, when the Lieutenant Governor declined Premier Christy Clark's advice to dissolve the House? [/QB]

I did note, and was much pleased; and, contrary to the opinion of our republicans, the exercise of regal authority was not The End of Days. The Sun rose, the birds sang, and democracy carried on. It affirmed Bagehot's dictum that its power lies in its restraint. When so rarely used, it is powerful, and in this instance, it seems to have been generally respected. I hope that Horgan's performance justifies the display.

I take issue with your position on proportional representation, but this is probably not the place for that discussion. Perhaps I'll PM you, because I am genuinely interested in your thoughts.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was pleased to see the BC decision. As for proportional representation, it appears to be a buffet of ideas, perhaps a worthy thread in itsrlf

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

Mmmm, political fix....

As one of the three proponents of proportional representation, I will watch this with much interest. But has anyone else noted the affirmation of regal authority, when the Lieutenant Governor declined Premier Christy Clark's advice to dissolve the House?
Quite, as I watched the vote/trip to the LG live, and Ms. Clarke's final meeting took far longer than expected. Her statement at the end was unusual, to say the least, and rather graceless.

Though as for the Proportional Representation thing, my dear Augustine, have you not seen the Ontario and Federal NDP platforms lately?

I admit a proprietary interest in this, I am the president of my local NDP riding association. [Two face]

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Canada Day, one and all, and I hope you're having better weather wherever you are than we are.

I'm messing about on here while waiting to go and watch the fireworks, and anticipate getting jolly wet.

We only ask for one nice day in the year, and it pours with rain ... [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Late to the party, but Happy Canada Day to you all! We had decent weather for celebrations... and no mosquitoes! [Yipee]
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone please explain the large rubber duck in Toronto, said to be part of the celebrations? It looks in the same class as the gigantic inflatable whale which, at great cost, hovered over Canberra as a part of some similar celebration - but at least that was a reminder of so much hot air in that city.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a rather hilarious meme that suggested you should not trust Greeks bearing gifts... Better keep an eye on that duck.

[ 03. July 2017, 15:26: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also a bit late, but Happy Canada Day.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Can anyone please explain the large rubber duck in Toronto, said to be part of the celebrations? It looks in the same class as the gigantic inflatable whale which, at great cost, hovered over Canberra as a part of some similar celebration - but at least that was a reminder of so much hot air in that city.

There are at least two versions of that duck making the global rounds. One of them was in Seoul a few years back, on the dime of Lotte, one of the major conglomerates over here. The theory was that the company was trying to generate some feel-good vibes after the tower they were building got mired in controversy over safety.

Korea Times

As for the duck's appearance at Canada Day, while I am not a petty-minded xenophobe by any stretch, I really don't see the point in having the festivities for your national holiday adorned with a generic attraction bearing no particular relation to your country.

[ 03. July 2017, 15:52: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
As for the duck's appearance at Canada Day, while I am not a petty-minded xenophobe by any stretch, I really don't see the point in having the festivities for your national holiday adorned with a generic attraction bearing no particular relation to your country.

I was hoping that one of our GTA shipmates might chime in on this! However - and this is strictly from my POV, YMMV, etc. - the fact that it is billed (heh) as The World's Largest Rubber Duck is the reason why it was used. Toronto seems to have a desperate need to be recognized as a "world class city." Civic officials are happy to play along with this weird insecurity. It could have been The World's Largest Anything, as long as it got the craved attention and reassured the populace that yes indeed, Toronto is a world class city. There's something both gauche and endearing about this... like a metropolitan version of "Waiting for Guffman."
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:

I was hoping that one of our GTA shipmates might chime in on this! However - and this is strictly from my POV, YMMV, etc. - the fact that it is billed (heh) as The World's Largest Rubber Duck is the reason why it was used. Toronto seems to have a desperate need to be recognized as a "world class city." Civic officials are happy to play along with this weird insecurity. It could have been The World's Largest Anything, as long as it got the craved attention and reassured the populace that yes indeed, Toronto is a world class city. There's something both gauche and endearing about this... like a metropolitan version of "Waiting for Guffman."
And the most delicious part of that is that the most attention they've ever gotten from the outside world was entirely due to the exploits of a certain deceased mayor.

Though in fairness to Hogtown, I have to say that short-man syndrome is a common feature of many second-and-third ranked municipalities. When Mordecai Richeler visited Edmonton in the mid-80s, and wrote a New Yorker piece mocking the city for whatever things he found mockable about it, the local booster contingent went ballistic, and there were actually demands made for city council to do something about the affront. The common refrain was that being lambasted in the New Yorker would be bad for tourism, as if the average reader of that magazine had been flipping a coin between Paris and Edmonton for his next holiday sojourn.

A couple of years later, emotional compensation arrived in the form of an Atlanta Journal- Constitution travel-writer praising Edmonton after a visit there. The article was duly framed and displayed in a transit station under the heading EDMONTON: ATLANTA LOVES US!

[ 04. July 2017, 00:30: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BC wildfire situation is getting nastier. Most upsetting for those who followed the evacuation of Fort McMurray in Alberta. The report on the news was that 10,000 people displaced, And many more likely to come,

[Tear]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

A bit late to this (work got busier early)

The family went down. After a few selfies, indicated it was all great fun. I saw it from a distance on the streetcar and it was surrounded by people. Lots of people, lots of pictures. Made the money spent back in taxes at least 10 fold.

In essence, it was a folly and we all laughed and enjoyed the day.

The waterfront in Toronto in that area has been transformed into something actually enjoyable. There is this persistent idea, mostly put out by people who only drive into Toronto, that the Lake is cut off from the city. Its all nonsense. Walk south of Front 5 minutes and you are at the Lake and can walk along all the way from out near the Don to Ontario Place and then out right to the Humber. Its over 10km of lakeshore perfectly accessible by transit.

I take the streetcar from Union to BMO field to watch TFC games and love the views.

There are 3 things Toronto has that have developed in spite of itself.

The Waterfront
The Ravines
The Inner Suburb stip malls with their ethnic mom and pop shop stores

Every city has its interesting bits - just have to get past the tourist areas to find them

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The amount of rainfall around here this summer has been quite unnecessary, and really, Something Ought To Be Done About It. Nearly a month ago we narrowly escaped having the house flooded by the quick action of the local firemen with their sandbags, and yesterday there was a deluge the like of which only the ancients could remember. OK - I exaggerate a little, but only a little. If God would like to rearrange the water and drop some on places that need it more than we do, like the forest fires in the west, it would be most helpful to both communities.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often thought that a fairer redistribution of raindrops round the planet would make it a much happier place.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

A friend of mine and I were having a drink, and he (who loathes Justin Trudeau) said that the world mocks Trudeau. I said, "Uh, no. You hate him, but that doesn't mean that the world mocks him." I read American, British, French, and (rarely) German news websites, and while there are flippant references to his bright smile and fabulous hair, I wouldn't call it mockery. The only outrightly hostile coverage I recall was from a Brasilian newspaper during an (aerospace?) trade dispute.

For those who expose themselves(!) to foreign media, especially in languages other than the above, what has the tenor been? (This is NOT an invitation to political discussion - I'm interested only in the media coverage.)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
I read American, British, French, and (rarely) German news websites, and while there are flippant references to his bright smile and fabulous hair, I wouldn't call it mockery.

And his socks!
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

FWIW, junior is all style and little substance.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
FWIW, junior is all style and little substance.

which works well for those who don't have to live under his [cough, cough] leadership.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
A friend of mine and I were having a drink, and he (who loathes Justin Trudeau) said that the world mocks Trudeau. I said, "Uh, no. You hate him, but that doesn't mean that the world mocks him." I read American, British, French, and (rarely) German news websites, and while there are flippant references to his bright smile and fabulous hair, I wouldn't call it mockery. The only outrightly hostile coverage I recall was from a Brasilian newspaper during an (aerospace?) trade dispute.

For those who expose themselves(!) to foreign media, especially in languages other than the above, what has the tenor been? (This is NOT an invitation to political discussion - I'm interested only in the media coverage.)

This was in our morning paper. So the local small town paper is reporting on Rolling Stone. Never a dull moment here! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NZ Newspapers are pretty pathetic on overseas news and commentary. Trump is mentioned, Brexit and other news from the UK, but the only time I remember reading about Justin Trudeau was when he met Ivanka Trump. I remember feeling positive about Pierre Trudeau for his reported comment* about the law having no business in the bedrooms of the nation, but I only found out that Justin had been elected from a comment on the Ship.

* I may have got that wrong - it was a long time ago, especially for someone who has difficulty remembering where she put her glasses 10 minutes ago [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

When then Minister of Justice Pierre Trudeau introduced legislation to remove the practice of homosexuality from the Criminal Code he declared "The State has no place in the bedrooms of the nation"

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

Traffic in the Nation's Capital came to a standstill last night as the giant mechanical dragons went walkabout. This, by the way, is strictly correct reporting.
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings - I wondered if anyone here would know and be willing to PM me the current Canadian Guild of Church Organists "occasional/supply" price. This is not given publically, but my Parish Council wants some idea of what it might cost.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

HenryT - I'll check up with D. - he might know.

eta:

He's just come in - do you mean the Royal Canadian College of Organists?

Their web-site lists fees for weddings and funerals, although it doesn't specify rates for supply organists.

Rates may depend on the size of the church, and the complexity of the music that is expected.

[ 29. July 2017, 00:49: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... do you mean the Royal Canadian College of Organists?

Their web-site lists fees for weddings and funerals, although it doesn't specify rates for supply organists.

That's quite handy, thank you!

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saskatoon is flooding. East side of the city has streets with 12-18" in them and it's going into basements. Power is back on after 4 hours. Told to stay at home.

Storm which turned street into a river this morning, another more thunderous one just ended. More on the way.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
G'day Canada.
Trying to get into your beautiful country, and was told at the airport I needed an eTA. Looking online, I applied here.
Advise your friends and loved ones not to do likewise. It charges over $100 and did not sort out my eTA in time for the flight.
Applied properly this morning, for $7, and got confirmation within a minute. All of which would have prevented a lot of pain last night.
Hoping to be with you among the mooses soon enough, eh?

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Oops. Sorry. There are a lot of fraudsters out there. Hope you visit gets better.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

I miss summer. [Frown]

CBC

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

Actually, the summer has been fine, for me, in Toronto. Not too hot (cf last year), most days 24-30C. The rain, well, OK for me. My friend who lives on one of the islands, less good for him (though looks dashing in his wellies, astride his sand bags).
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

Crisse de maudit calisse de tabarnak d'esti!* Duffy sues for $7.8m in damages?!? Has the man no shame? (Rhetorical question.) Pound of flesh, or has he debts to pay off and Nigel ("his close friend") is no longer writing cheques?

Part of the suit relies on being subjected to public ridicule. Breathtaking. Does anyone recall his treatment of politicians when he was a journalist? Ridicule was oft his stock in trade.

Duffy, decrisse, la.*

Apologies to the Hosts... Untranslatable in any meaningful way. Expressions in vulgar colloquial Canadian French of extreme anger, ending with an invitation to fornicate elsewhere.

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

Taberwette, I exclaimed, when I heard the Duffy coverage on my radio as I walked to the Parkdale market yesterday. When I mentioned it to my strawberry booth seller, she began her comments with a "sacrifice de calisse!" before noting that he had plenty to live on before he needed to cash his next paycheque (Senator Duffy is known for his weightloss efforts, somewhat dented by diary references to eating too many candy bars).

French Canadian cursing is an art form in itself, and reflects many generations of catechesis.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Isn't Puffy double dipping the Senate? Drawing a copious salary representing his constituency of IPE and disrespecting the Senate and the Arsy MP?

That guy needs a brain scan (if they can find it). I will never, ever forget the way he treated Margaret Trudeau on the Hill when her husband was lying in State. He reminded her it was the anniversary of the day her youngest son died. She collapsed in tears, and he never adequately apologised.

I hope the Ontario Superior Court throws the case out as frivolous and vexatious. At least the Senate will soon retire him.

Tabernac! Calisse!

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Taberwette, I exclaimed, when I heard the Duffy coverage on my radio as I walked to the Parkdale market yesterday. When I mentioned it to my strawberry booth seller, she began her comments with a "sacrifice de calisse!" before noting that he had plenty to live on before he needed to cash his next paycheque (Senator Duffy is known for his weightloss efforts, somewhat dented by diary references to eating too many candy bars).

French Canadian cursing is an art form in itself, and reflects many generations of catechesis.

It can even be bilingual. There was Gilbert, a fine old Quebecois mechanic at Canadair whose most frequent exclamation was, "Shit la merde!" I find it useful to this day.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

Re: frivolous and vexatious. I saw Lawrence Greenspon (the Duffster's lawyer) interviewed by Rosemary Barton on Power and Politics on Thursday, and despite making the appropriate sounds, he seemed, at base, unconvinced of his own case.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

We expect first frost tonight. Tomatoes coming in. The zucchini can fend for themselves.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Talking of weather (as we so often are), in the five or six months that we were without TV, the Weather Channel seems to have changed its format for the 10-minute forecasts, and very much not for the better.

I live in Fredericton, and 99% of the time I couldn't give a flying **** what the weather's like in Moncton, Saint John or even Oromocto, but the scrolling weather reports at the bottom of the screen seem to roll from one place to another, but without keeping the name of the place they're talking about visible, so you see "20°" and then realise they're actually talking about somewhere several miles away.

What I do care about is (a) when it's going to start raining here (which they used to tell us with reasonable accuracy); and (b) how humid it's going to be here (so that I know whether I want to go beyond the range of the nearest air-conditioning unit).

Is it just here that they've messed it about, or is it everywhere?

disgruntled piglet [Mad]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:

Is it just here that they've messed it about, or is it everywhere?

disgruntled piglet [Mad]

Don't know if you have cable or not, but here in Ottawa, we have two weather channels on Rogers. 021 is mostly local, and 586 is more regional and national.

I usually just use the weather app on my smart phone.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use the Weather Underground website. You can set it to get your local forecast, as well as giving information on hurricanes, etc.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving weekend. [Smile]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian Shipmates.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

My fellow shipmates, I bear dark and terrible news. The Law Society of Upper Canada, one of the oldest professional body in Canada, established 1797, has voted to change its name. To what, we don't know, but the 'Upper Canada' will be gone.

[Eek!] [Waterworks]

Is Outrage!

The only thing in Ontario older than the LSUC, still in its original form, is the original Mace of Upper Canada.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016