homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Bon fete, mon pays!/ Happy birthday, my country! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bon fete, mon pays!/ Happy birthday, my country!
marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Reply to SPK)

I kind of liked the old name, but apparently nobody outside the practice of law had any idea what it actually meant.

There are a number of replacement names being floated including Law Society of Ontario.

[ 18. October 2017, 02:42: Message edited by: marsupial. ]

Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the first that I've heard of this. Is there a source I can read about LSUC's identity change? That's a shame. What's the rationale? To what good end? What are the candidate names?

So what if no one outside the profession knew what it meant? The general public had little reason to know, and it's not as though it was a strategy for LSUC to hide in plain sight.

Baaaah!

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is in Ontario, then using the word Ontario seems entirely appropriate. We have all sorts of anachronisms in Canada. It's okay to make these understandable. I see Ontario dispensed with QC designations, other provinces have not all followed suit. I take it is sort of like lawyer sainthood.

On other news, in Qu'Appelle there were hurricane force winds overnight. Still many power outages and lots of damage. Qu'Appelle being anachronistic for southern Saskatchewan and the name of the Anglican diocese.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of us in the Maritimes still refer to Ontario as Upper Canada.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We call Ontario "eastern Canada".

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which annoys Atlantic Canadians a great deal.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

We say Maritimes,for, I'm afraid, the three maritime provinces and Newfoundland all lumped together. And no-one ever says "Newfoundland and Labrador". I do have a niece who lives in Freddy, which I understand from her may be local parlance for Fredricton.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Maritimes" refers to NS, NB and PEI. To include N&L, one uses "The Atlantic Provinces".

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who's lived in Newfoundland and New Brunswick, my understanding of the Maritimes is what Sharkshooter said (although I suppose being an island makes Newfoundland quite "maritime").

As a foreigner, though, I'm a bit sketchy about what exactly is meant by "Upper Canada" and would be grateful for enlightenment.

I agree with Caissa about "Eastern Canada" referring to Ontario - there's at least 1,000 miles of Canada further east than that! It's a bit like when an Orcadian hears people referring to Aberdeen or Inverness as "north" when they're plainly south ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Upper Canada is the former name for Ontario, from 1791 to 1841. As lawyers are the world's second oldest profession, they have little need to take note of trivial details like Confederation.

Upper Canada became Canada West in the unhappy Province of Canada in 1941, and became Ontario in 1867.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Upper Canada is the former name for Ontario, from 1791 to 1841. As lawyers are the world's second oldest profession, they have little need to take note of trivial details like Confederation.

Upper Canada became Canada West in the unhappy Province of Canada in 1941, and became Ontario in 1867.

Curiously enough, they haven't decided what to call the law society. Perhaps, as with a certain Minnesotan musician, it will be known as the Law Society formerly associated with Upper Canada. This article provides further information for the curious. It seems that the Star's legendarily bolshevik readership opposed the change 69% over 30%.

One of my Algonquin contacts naughtily referred to this as yet another bold and agonizing step toward reconciliation characterized by irrelevance. I couldn't possibly comment.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Like my sig says. I'm in the province of Buffalo. Damn Wilfred Laurier! No "sir" though = anachronism.

The centre of the country geographically is somewhere near Brandon, Manitoba. It's all perspective isn't it? I'm reminded of the Christmas carol "People Look East" and the wiseacre who piped up with can't we look west?

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Star? Bolshie? [Killing me]

I'm the president of an NDP Riding Association, the Star doesn't even move the needle on the meter.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Star? Bolshie? [Killing me]

I'm the president of an NDP Riding Association, the Star doesn't even move the needle on the meter.

I simply quote a statement by a former staff member in the office of the Hon James Moore, onetime (Conservative) Minister of Canadian Heritage. His febrile tones underlined his sense of conviction on this.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Are the NDP in Ontario the same genus but different species than they are in Sask and Alberta? They resemble Liberals here. And the BC Liberals are actually Conservatives says my kid who lives there.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangentially on things anachronistic, I took advantage of the glorious weather yesterday afternoon to clear my head after a difficult number of days by taking a stroll through the cemetery of St James-the-Less, and on my desultory path happened upon the crypts of Gzowski, Jarvis, the grave of Howland, etc., as well as a Macedonian section. Very Canadian.

I have to agree with SPK's the assessment of The Star as "bolshie" - it's typical, hank-wringing mushy what-passes-for-left. That said, I am surprised that such a large proportion of the readership would oppose the name change for the LSUC. I like the creeky, musty air of it. I wallow in it when I have lunch at Osgoode Hall. (Which I recommend to all - open to the public with a reservation, very nice room, and the food is quite good. Lunch only.)

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Are the NDP in Ontario the same genus but different species than they are in Sask and Alberta?

The short answer is yes.

I'm smiling at the remarks about the Toronto Star. The most outrageous capitalist I ever knew personally - the kind of person who thinks he's hard done by because it's illegal to horsewhip his employees - referred to the Star as "that communist newspaper" with a tone of utter contempt.

However, I'm here to complain about Mother Corporation's ceaseless grinding of the bones of Gord Downie to make her bread. Seriously. Why, CBC?? I mean, he was a talented guy, but the amount of airtime and hype would embarrass the Kardashians. All programming cancelled for two hours of Tragically Hip music? The evening news beginning with the sombre intonation, "Gord Downie is dead. The nation swells with grief and gratitude..." Even the sports reporter must have been directed to find some link, which turned out to be "uh... hockey is as Canadian as the music of Gord Downie... uh...?" It turns out that in spite of all the airtime devoted to him today as well, he's still dead.

If you are reading this and you are a loved one or fan of Mr. Downie, note that he has my respect. But some Vice President at CBC needs a big dose of perspective.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

As a foreigner, though, I'm a bit sketchy about what exactly is meant by "Upper Canada" and would be grateful for enlightenment.

I agree with Caissa about "Eastern Canada" referring to Ontario - there's at least 1,000 miles of Canada further east than that! ...

I think the early explorers thought they were travelling north when they went inland, so Quebec was Lower Canada and Ontario was Upper Canada.

Ontario and Quebec are now often referred to as Central Canada. I have never heard of Ontario being called Eastern Canada - but then, I've never lived west of the Ontario/Manitoba border.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Prophet wrote:

quote:
And the BC Liberals are actually Conservatives says my kid who lives there.

Yes, they are not just right-leaning pro-business Liberals, in the manner of, say, John Turner. They are actually the re-grouping of the old Social Credit party and its electoral base.

In their throne speech a while back, the BC Liberals actually attacked successive Alberta governments from the right, including the claim that the NDP's carbon-tax is bad for the economy.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaf wrote:

quote:
However, I'm here to complain about Mother Corporation's ceaseless grinding of the bones of Gord Downie to make her bread. Seriously. Why, CBC?? I mean, he was a talented guy, but the amount of airtime and hype would embarrass the Kardashians. All programming cancelled for two hours of Tragically Hip music? The evening news beginning with the sombre intonation, "Gord Downie is dead. The nation swells with grief and gratitude..." Even the sports reporter must have been directed to find some link, which turned out to be "uh... hockey is as Canadian as the music of Gord Downie... uh...?" It turns out that in spite of all the airtime devoted to him today as well, he's still dead.

I think CBC's mandate(official or otherwise) to promote Canadian culture leads to a certain amount of bandwagon jumping. If something has managed to get itself talked up as "typically Canadian", CBC jumps in and tries to lead the parade.

Since his medical diagnosis a while back, Downie has sort of been the Canadiana flavour-of-the-month. So, CBC's right on it.

And the hockey parallel is a little off-base, since his lyrics about hockey(the iconic '72 Russia match no less) in Fireworks are actually quite dismissive. But, probably a lot of people just read it as "The Hip!! Singing about hockey!! What could be more Canadian!!"

Fireworks

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
... I have never heard of Ontario being called Eastern Canada ...

Isn't their time zone called Eastern?

I think it was on the Weather Channel that I heard them referring to parts of Ontario as "eastern Canada" and thought, "really???"

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think the early explorers thought they were travelling north when they went inland, so Quebec was Lower Canada and Ontario was Upper Canada.

How did these "explorers" ever find their way if they didn't know the sun rises in the east and sets in the west? Or by "upper" did they perhaps mean "upstream" on the Saint Lawrence River?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

They did.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Ireland, the terms 'upper' and 'lower' refer to proximity to Dublin. Thus Lower Ballinderry is a bit closer to Dublin than Upper Ballinderry.

That type of naming system may also have been adopted in Canada, although I can't suggest what the Canadian reference point might have been.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having grown up on the west coast, I can confirm that we refer to everything east of Winnipeg as 'Eastern Canada'.

Until you've had the opportunity to drive from the Pacific to the Atlantic or vice versa, it's hard to fathom just how wide the country actually is!

Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
... it's hard to fathom just how wide the country actually is!

When we were leaving Belfast to move to Newfoundland, a friend's mother (who was then in the early stages of Alzheimer's) said, "you're moving to Canada - you must get in touch with Jack [her twin brother] - he lives in Vancouver". I don't think we ever quite managed to make her understand that we'd actually be further from Jack than we were from her.

It's a big country. [Smile]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

As a youngster I was puzzled over the Lower and Upper Canada descriptors as, looking at a map, Lower Canada was above Upper Canada. Miss Stewart, who could teach Responsible Government to a brick wall (and, given some of my classmates...) told me that it was because Tadoussac, Québec, Trois Rivières etc, were lowest in elevation from the height of land, and the Saint Lawrence River beyond Montréal was upper in elevation, and heading toward the height of land.

Given that Canada was, until recent times, approached from the Atlantic Ocean, this had a certain archaic logic to it.

As far as the Star is concerned, I can also quote Tommy Douglas from my cafeteria lunch with him a mere 35 years ago, who mentioned inter alia that "the Star was always a fair paper," even if he liked the (now extinct) Telegraph better. The Globe he dismissed as written by and for the people who thought they ran the country.

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

How did these "explorers" ever find their way if they didn't know the sun rises in the east and sets in the west? Or by "upper" did they perhaps mean "upstream" on the Saint Lawrence River?
Perhaps I should have used [Smile] to show I wasn't serious. [Smile]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:

As far as the Star is concerned, I can also quote Tommy Douglas from my cafeteria lunch with him a mere 35 years ago, who mentioned inter alia that "the Star was always a fair paper," even if he liked the (now extinct) Telegraph better.

Perhaps it used to be.

I'm pretty sure all newspapers in Canada are significantly biased these days.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Perhaps I should have used [Smile] to show I wasn't serious. [Smile]
Forum postings anywhere are traps when trying to be lighthearted. But we will survive somehow!

About newspapers-- I tend to agree. Some are better for providing certain sorts of information, which is why I sweat through the Saturday Le Devoir as it has the best religious and cultural coverage in Canada-- I recall sociologist Michael Adams noting that, with about 3-4 million Canadians in church/synagogue/temple on a weekend, there was almost no coverage at all. However, the approximately 80,000-100,000 watching sports that week could count on 6-12 pages daily. I am getting less convinced about my daily subscription to the Globe, but enjoy retirement and sitting on the deck with my cup of yergacheffe and reading the paper under the baleful gaze of the neighbours' cats.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... The Globe he dismissed as written by and for the people who thought they ran the country.

The British equivalent of that view was beautifully summarised in the 1980s sitcom Yes, Prime Minister

[Smile]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
... I am getting less convinced about my daily subscription to the Globe, but enjoy retirement and sitting on the deck with my cup of yergacheffe and reading the paper under the baleful gaze of the neighbours' cats.

Retirement is good.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
quote:
... I am getting less convinced about my daily subscription to the Globe, but enjoy retirement and sitting on the deck with my cup of yergacheffe and reading the paper under the baleful gaze of the neighbours' cats.

Retirement is good.
When I was re-entering the public service after 8 months out (o praise the gods of reorganization!), the pay clerk was trying to explain to me the benefits of buying back my former time. I really didn't understand, and he saw this. To save time and my cerebellum, he said that I should just trust him, and 20 years from now, I would thank him. I did. I do.
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... As lawyers are the world's second oldest profession, ...

I've often gone with the "who do you think created the chaos?" theory of the antiquity of the legal profession.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

-2C with a wind chill of -5C this morning. Can't wait to get out of here!

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I'm on a different page re winter: love it. Dump of 15cm in 2 days here. -7°C, beautiful bright sun. Went out on fat tire bike earlier and just kneaded bread and getting ready to go skiing.

Just use your imagination!

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

First snow- two construction workers in shorts keep on working.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

No sn*w here yet: it was still hitting the high teens Centigrade in the last couple of days. Cooler today, and now hovering around +1°.

Any sn*w that you get, feel free to keep it to yourselves. [Snigger]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Rain has stopped. Hopefully the sun will come out like the foreguessers say. I'm hopeful for a round of golf today.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think you must have sent your rain our way - it's moist and rather dreich here.

17°, but moist and rather dreich ... [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surfacing back up after 4 months of the extremely seasonal job to wish everybody a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surfacing back after rather longer to wish you all a joyous Christmas [Axe murder]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Merry Christmas to both of you!

Going to be a big storm here so am up early to get ready to head Up West for the day and likely for the night too. Taking my sewing and crochet work with me and a new book. Should be nice.

Hope everyone enjoys the day/season and all the best for 2018!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Christmas et bonne année!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Merry Christmas to one and all, from a snowy Fredericton, where it's -10°, and snowing with increasing determination.

Stay safe if you're travelling, and all the best! [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016