homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda, I use a tablet almost constantly, rarely using my computer. To compose a post or to reply to one, a box comes up for typing. Under that there are prompts for URL, italics etc.

Click on that and type into the space provided. The heading is Instant UBB code. There is no need to type, then to try to select what you want to do with it. Just follow instructions. Then use the Add reply button.

There is no provision for font change or to change size. All the common needs are covered and if you need it, Styx has a thread for practice.

Lothlorien AS Host

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9354 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
{{{{{all of us}}}}}

How's everyone doing in windy, fiery, shaky, or flooding areas?

We are making progress every day! [Big Grin] My BFF just got her power back late last night, and she'll be leaving my home soon. [Frown] It's been nice having her here! I can't lift heavy limbs, or do too much clean up outside, but I'm happy to have a haven for those who need it!

We have folks with destroyed homes, or unlivable homes because of flood damage and toxic mold. Please continue to pray for them. I feel so blessed that my damage is so slight. Hoping to get mine taken care of soon.

Oh, here are some pictures. You may enjoy the expert fix my BFF and I made on the mailbox post!
Irma pictures.

Oh, the pics are labeled underneath so you can understand what you're looking at!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17779 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... You may enjoy the expert fix my BFF and I made on the mailbox post ...

Duck tape - are you sure you're not Canadian??? [Killing me]

Seriously though - glad to hear you're recovering, and prayers continuing to ascend. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19413 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Duck tape

Do you mean duct tape?

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10234 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Duck tape

Do you mean duct tape?
Duck is a brand of duct tape that has become pretty generic in its use.
Posts: 4785 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it comes in all kinds of funky colors and patterns. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17722 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Autumn has arrived in central Arizona! It's currently 79º and not expected to go over 86º today. I can hear lots of yard work being done around my neighborhood as people are taking advantage of the first pleasant Saturday in several months.
[Smile]

Unfortunately, they're predicting 100º again the beginning of October. [Frown]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9345 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... You may enjoy the expert fix my BFF and I made on the mailbox post ...

Duck tape - are you sure you're not Canadian??? [Killing me]
[Big Grin] We refer to the process as 'redneck engineering'. I would guess the name of the substance used to repair things that move, and shouldn't, is split 50/50 between Duct and Duck tape. Of course we have another substance used for things that don't move and should. [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 17779 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... we have another substance used for things that don't move and should. [Biased]

You mean as per this flowchart? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 19413 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, you dastardly tempteress! I've just spent HOURS going through loadsalinks on that metapic site from your link. Curse you! [Help]

On the other hand, some of the stuff was rather interesting, and I have no one but myself to blame on this lazy Sunday morning. Really. No one. That's the truth. [Paranoid] [Big Grin]

[Angel] [Axe murder]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7233 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Exactly, Piglet! [Big Grin]

People seem amazed that I can immediately lay my hands on either duct tape as needed or WD-40. Well, of course! I am woman!

Once when the pastor and head of the trustees committee, both men, and I were inspecting some carpet threads that were loose and a danger to the older folks who would walk there, they were wishing they had brought their pocket knives to cut them off. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my (dainty) pocket knife and handed it to them. They looked at each other in amazement, then started a funny dialogue about their knitting needles and crochet hooks! [Killing me]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You should have insisted that they crochet the loose fibers back into place.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... I can immediately lay my hands on either duct tape as needed or WD-40 ...

So can I, but whether I'd know what to do with them might be another matter ... [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Amanda:
You should have insisted that they crochet the loose fibers back into place.

Right on! [Killing me]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Miss Amanda, you are correct! Where were you when I had that golden opportunity? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Carving her initials into the back pew with her pocket knife, of course. [Devil]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... I can immediately lay my hands on either duct tape as needed or WD-40 ...

So can I, but whether I'd know what to do with them might be another matter ... [Big Grin]

If it moves when it shouldn't, apply duct tape. If it doesn't move when it should, use WD-40.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23935 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If it moves when it shouldn't, apply duct tape. If it doesn't move when it should, use WD-40.

Words to live by.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14651 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Words to live by.
Sometimes a bit more than wise words are needed.

Over my sink is a wind out hopper window which opens onto walkway ouside. It does not open far as people could walk into it but it provides a wonderful ventilation breeze when balcony door is open. It has been shut over winter because it was just unpleasant to have it open.

However, spring has well and truly sprung here . I tried to open it. That means leaning over sink, reaching up and turning window handle. I am short so there is problem #1. Yesterday the thumb on my right hand was badly swollen with arthritis which comes and goes. I could not shift the handle. I tried WD40 but no help as it was too high tfor me to spray the cable.

Then I had my grocery delivery from Colesworths. Their drivers are helpful, pleasant and efficient. 30 seconds after my asking, window was open.

[ 26. September 2017, 22:05: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9354 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Now that sounds like service above and beyond the call of duty! [Smile]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Hurricane Irma update.

Daughter-Unit drove me south to near where Irma came ashore. There are still people with water in their homes. [Frown] Lots of destruction still around here. I felt pretty secure that my metal roof was safe. However, I saw some metal roofs that were peeled up from the eaves and curled up toward the peaks. Huge metal road signs on the interstate knocked down and bent in half. Trees snapped in two and completely de-leafed.

The good news, a lot of trees (including my elm) are shooting out new leaves! It's like Springtime again!

Yet, we have food, water and gas. The folks in Puerto Rico do not.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gaia repairs herself...

[Votive] for the poor people of Puerto Rico, though - has President Barking Dog managed to find it yet?

[Disappointed]

and [Votive] for all those on the other islands, and mainland US of A, still suffering.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8869 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not easy to find Puerto Rico. It's an island, in big water, ocean water.

Besides, he says they should take care of it themselves.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Maybe he'll get lost on his way there. Lost . . . permanently. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People are starting to notice that Crooked Don is golfing every weekend while Puerto Ricans starve and die. The insistence that everything is going great there is starting to crumble against the testimony of the actual sufferers.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5456 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
People are starting to notice that Crooked Don is golfing every weekend while Puerto Ricans starve and die.

You mean our Beloved Leader, who tweeted in October 2014:
quote:
Can you believe that, with all of the problems and difficulties facing the U.S., President Obama spent the day playing golf?
and during his campaign:
quote:
I would rarely leave the White House because there’s so much work to be done. I would not be a president who took vacations. I would not be a president that takes time off.
[Mad]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Australia lost a Prime Minister in the ocean. Are you suggesting something similar?

(I know that 45 is unlikely to go for a swim.)

Posts: 4342 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Maybe he'll get lost on his way there ...

We can but hope ...

He seems to think that the people of Puerto Rico don't matter because some of them don't speak English, but honestly, he's not exactly eloquent himself (from the Washington Post article in Brenda's link):
quote:
"The loss of life — it's always tragic — but it's been incredible the results that we've had with respect to loss of life," Trump said. "People can't believe how successful that has been relatively speaking."
What did you do to deserve this idiot? [Roll Eyes]

[ 30. September 2017, 20:58: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:

Well, a large number of us (not me) failed to vote.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Talk to Putin. And to whatever peeps saw and knew how horribly damaged T is, but funded and powerfully supported him, thinking they could control him.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17722 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

"Oh, he'll grow into the job." No, he's a narcissistic sociopath with skin so thin it rips when subjected to a sideways glance, and he's not growing into anything but a larger pants size.

The people who voted for him have quite a lot for which to answer.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jedijudy

# 333

I am hearing from several conservatives who voted for the orange one (including my dad) are regretting their decisions.

But, I have good news! Not about him. My sister and brother-in-law have sent me a check, which is to be cashed and distributed to those in need! [Big Grin] So, I will be driving to areas of need to find people who could use a little good news and help!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a lovely Job to have to do! Drive safely, and distribute wisely.... [Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 8869 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you (and your sister and brother-in-law), JJ! [Overused]

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Most excellent, JJ.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:

Australia lost a Prime Minister in the ocean. Are you suggesting something similar?

(I know that 45 is unlikely to go for a swim.)

No, he was picked up by a Chinese submarine.
(/conspiracy)

Sorry to read of shootings in Las Vegas.
[Votive]

Good news jedijudy!

[ 02. October 2017, 08:00: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7396 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Thanks, Ian, re Vegas. Latest estimate: 20 dead, 100 injured. Still very chaotic.

[Votive]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Thanks, Ian, re Vegas. Latest estimate: 20 dead, 100 injured. Still very chaotic.

[Votive]

It's now up to 50 dead.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7233 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

BBC's latest report - 58 dead and 515 injured!

[Votive] Lord, have mercy.

IJ

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 5349 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the Russians are being ever so helpful, in their ow inimitable way.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5456 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
So, I will be driving to areas of need to find people who could use a little good news and help!

Time for some good news. I made my first delivery today to a mother of two who lost everything in the home she rented (without renter's insurance) and was living in her car with her children. When I gave her the message of prayers and hope from my sister and brother-in-law she cried. I'll be praying for her! She's moving into another rental place this weekend, so won't be homeless anymore. The money wasn't a huge amount, but maybe she can find some good used beds and things so they have a comfy place to sleep!

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

God bless you and yours, JJ. That is wonderful.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
So, I will be driving to areas of need to find people who could use a little good news and help!

Time for some good news. I made my first delivery today to a mother of two who lost everything in the home she rented (without renter's insurance) and was living in her car with her children. When I gave her the message of prayers and hope from my sister and brother-in-law she cried. I'll be praying for her! She's moving into another rental place this weekend, so won't be homeless anymore. The money wasn't a huge amount, but maybe she can find some good used beds and things so they have a comfy place to sleep!
[Overused]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone here going to the Women's Convention in Detroit at the end of October? My Dear Wife and her childhood friend will be there. I am not sure what it will achieve, but they are brave women.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 866 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

The Weather People are promising that we will have a couple of cool mornings next week! Like upper 50's and lower 60's cool!

It's hard to believe, as we haven't had temps that low for many, many months.

Actually, I'll believe it when I see it. Weather People have been known to be wrong from time to time.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have had unusually warm weather for October, until the last few days. Now the overnight lows are in the mid-thirties. The daytime temperatures still reach the sixties or seventies.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20143 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sigh. TV weather is predicting 105F in my town Monday and Tuesday. [Frown] That'll break some records.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21265 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Sigh. TV weather is predicting 105F in my town Monday and Tuesday. [Frown] That'll break some records.

I expect the climate change deniers will claim that this shows that only in places where there is a majority not denying climate change, will it actually get warmer.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23935 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Logic. You can't beat it.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21265 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016