homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope everybody finds plenty to be grateful for.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, only three years more of The Great Orange Ozymandias' presidency is something positive, yes?

Yes?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Well, only three years more of The Great Orange Ozymandias' presidency is something positive, yes?

Yes?

IJ

Yes, but there will be so much permanent damage.
[Mad]

(There's also the horrible possibility that he could be re-elected for another four-year term.
[Help]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Certainly something to be grateful for here: the sun is finally peeking out after a string of gloomy grey days.

Also thankful we didn`t have to travel yesterday. I hope none of you ended up stuck in airports for hours, or in that awful LA gridlock they were showing on the news [Ultra confused]

Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
... in that awful LA gridlock they were showing on the news [Ultra confused]

It started Tuesday evening! I have never been more grateful that I work close to home.

And at 10:30 am, it is already 85 degrees here at the beach. So I am also grateful that I'm not cooking today.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been invited to friends' house later this afternoon. Will bring a nice Chianti Classico.

Tomorrow, Black Friday, I will stay at home all day except for a quick excursion to the supermarket for groceries. Not my regular, though -- a different one just two blocks from home. I wouldn't entrust the Amandamobile to the highways on Black Friday for any reason.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope your day is full of good food, friends and family. For those who don't have those blessings (like my brother working half-way around the world from his home), I hope you find many things to be thankful for, anyhow. [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just dropping in to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving - don't overdo the turkey! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We hit 87º this afternoon -- the third Thanksgiving that has done so. Our Thanksgiving Day record high of 87º degrees was set in 1950 and then tied in 2014.

Tomorrow they're predicting a high of 89º, possibly reaching 90º.

Our last rain was three months ago today.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness, Pigwidgeon, that's warm! Do you actually get winter where you are - and are you expected to eat turkey-and-all-the-trimmings in that heat?

[Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Yes, we do the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Many people eat it outdoors.

"Winter" means that we might hit freezing briefly a few nights. I've seen a few flakes of snow in the 30+ years I've lived here, and once I even had to turn on my windshield wipers to brush a bit of the white stuff off.

This time of year we may reach the high 80's in the mid-afternoon, but the evenings and mornings are quite chilly (well, "chilly" for Arizona).

--------------------
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belated Happy T-day to everyone, and thanks for other people's wishes--especially those from non-US folks.

I had a quiet day at home, yesterday, and another today. Decided shopping on Black Friday wasn't worth the noise and hassle.

Currently watching a Tom Baker "Dr. Who" episode. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daughter-Unit and I have a long-standing tradition of going Black Friday shopping in a place where very few people go. Oh, it's a shopping center, but most folks go to the big mall. We usually have the store practically to ourselves (B&BW) to stock up on our year's supply of soaps. Normally we then go to eat, then maybe to a movie.

Yesterday was a bit different, however. After buying our soaps, and D-U getting a marvelous buy on a Roomba, I took her to the eye surgery place. She can now see without wearing her glasses! It's all still a bit blurry, but that should clear up within a week! Son-in-Law will have his done next week, and should have perfect vision the next day! Modern medical miracles if you ask me!

D-U saw her face in the mirror without wearing glasses. It's the first time ever in her life! [Tear]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alleluia! Praise Jesus! And praise the modern-day medics!

[Axe murder]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Yay, Daughter-Unit! [Yipee]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, Judy. What good news.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the first time ever, we were passive recipients of Thanksgiving dinner -- Dear Spouse had just gotten home from the hospital after being stricken with pneumonia, and neither one of us was in fit shape to make the three- hour drive to the Ann Arbor area to rendezvous with our California kids and grandkids and the in-laws...and to cook their dinner. We were feeling quite sorry For ourselves when friends dropped by with heapingplatters of turkey and sides, plus a pumpkin pie. That was so sweet of them. Then the kids altered their schedule ( which, if you knew them, you'd know is something that almost never happens in their highly structured lives) and came up to visit us for half a day yesterday...we did a very non- seasonal pizza and ice cream sundae meal, and a good time was had by all. (Actual text from son, "We should be there at 10:43." And they were.)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
... Actual text from son, "We should be there at 10:43." And they were.

Crikey - when you said "structured" I didn't realise you meant quite as structured as that!

Glad you had a nice time, and hope Dear Spouse gets better very soon.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
That would be Rigatony's, yes? We'd have to meet at 4:30 to ensure I make the call on time. The date is Tuesday, December 12. Sharkshooter, what say you?

Bought my ticket today.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
That would be Rigatony's, yes? We'd have to meet at 4:30 to ensure I make the call on time. The date is Tuesday, December 12. Sharkshooter, what say you?

Bought my ticket today.
I'll be making reservations and emailing you with that information as well as photographs of Miss Amanda and myself. Looking forward to meeting you!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It snowed this morning with about three inches accumulation. There was some sun this afternoon which melted the snow in my driveway and some of the snow on my car.

I went out and cleaned off my car while the snow was soft. I think it's going to freeze hard tonight.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2-3 inches here as well. The kids were delighted -- it was enough that they could break out their sleds.
jedijudy

# 333

My sister in Birmingham was dealing with five inches of snow on Saturday. Wow! Apparently some folks around my home town had frost this morning!

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
freezing here this AM but sun in out and temperature is on the rise. Lots of smoke in the air from fires in Southern California even though we are over 100 miles north. Continued prayers for all.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sending good wishes to the people of Alabama as they vote today.

Please let good sense and moral whatnot prevail.

--------------------

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

I sure wish we could send some of this cold, snowy weather out to California where the moisture is desperately needed. Thinking of all those affected by the fires right now.
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Please let good sense and moral whatnot prevail.

Hallelujah! Good sense did prevail! [Yipee]

I understand a lot of Republicans (including some of my family members) chose not to vote, which probably helped the numbers. However, I wish those who didn't vote (including my family) would have dared to vote contrary to their party affiliation in order to express their strong beliefs about the horribleness of Moore's actions of the past.

Here endeth the Purgatorial reading! [Razz]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Turnout is key. We have seen what happens when people don't vote, from laziness or passivity or just believing that their vote doesn't matter. It always matters, and it is vitally important for each and every of us (as the past year amply proves) to vote in every election, always, from now until they shovel us under. Alabama had a 40% turnout, mindboggling for an off-year election with only one contest, but that's what did it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Alabama

As a matter of interest, because I'm confused, are Bannon and Thwump buddies agasin?

On a more important question, shaking the foundations of the universe et cetera, and because I'm doing some work on Bob Dylan (oh what a surprise [Roll Eyes] ) ... but hosts I promise this is a mere generalized inquiry not homework ... I not in 1964 he wrote "and landed fully blast." I would say "landed full blast." As in "all cylinders firing and ready to go."

Do y'all (!) think it was a Dylanism (it looks to me like a somewhat extempore setting despite being in print) or a US usage?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Well done Alabama

As a matter of interest, because I'm confused, are Bannon and Thwump buddies agasin?

I would doubt it. Lyin' Don hates losers, because he's always futilely hoping to be a winner. And he loathes being made to look foolish, or look like a loser. And now he is and does! All Bannon's fault, and Crooked Don is not one to forgive or forget.

quote:

On a more important question, shaking the foundations of the universe et cetera, and because I'm doing some work on Bob Dylan (oh what a surprise [Roll Eyes] ) ... but hosts I promise this is a mere generalized inquiry not homework ... I not in 1964 he wrote "and landed fully blast." I would say "landed full blast." As in "all cylinders firing and ready to go."

Do y'all (!) think it was a Dylanism (it looks to me like a somewhat extempore setting despite being in print) or a US usage?

I personally would say it is a typo. If you are unwilling to accept that, then yes I guess it's a Dylanism. "Fully blast" is not an American usage. There's also a problem with =landing= full blast. In theory, as with airplanes, when you land you want to power down, slow down the engines, etc. You blast -off-, to get up off the ground into the air. You do not land full blast unless you are honing to explode on contact. But I would be fully willing to assume that Mr. Dylan is not so picky.

[ 13. December 2017, 19:36: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, Alabama! [Yipee]

Good sense and moral whatnot did indeed prevail*.

How many more by-elections like this do you need for the Moron-in-Chief to be in really deep doggie-doo?

* although I could worry about the 48% who did vote for the racist bigot.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Well done Alabama

I would doubt it. Lyin' Don hates losers, because he's always futilely hoping to be a winner. And he loathes being made to look foolish, or look like a loser. And now he is and does! All Bannon's fault, and Crooked Don is not one to forgive or forget.

quote:

I personally would say it is a typo. If you are unwilling to accept that, then yes I guess it's a Dylanism. "Fully blast" is not an American usage. There's also a problem with =landing= full blast. In theory, as with airplanes, when you Yeah and you want to power down, slow down the engines, etc. You blast -off-, to get up off the ground into the air. You do not land full blast unless you are honing to explode on contact. But I would be fully willing to assume that Mr. Dylan is not so picky.

It's from his collected lyrics, but very much back in his ad hoc days (this from 1964), so I suspect its a transcript of an ad lib ... and yes, I got the incongruity of landing full blast!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I'm going to see Star Wars today!! [Big Grin] [Yipee] [Axe murder]
Yes, I know. It opens tomorrow. Daughter-Unit got our tickets about three months ago, and we just want to be among the first in My Fair City to see it. Besides, we have waited long enough!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I'm going to see Star Wars today!! [Big Grin] [Yipee] [Axe murder]

Me, too!

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Son and DIL went last night. A friend in tasmania went the previous night to a showing at 11:30 pm. She made a dress with top in proper colours and skirt made of material printed with photos from film.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You do not land full blast unless you are honing to explode on contact.

I imagine if you made as fast a descent as you possibly could, then fired thrusters at max in order to decelerate and had the thrusters railed until the moment you touched down, you could describe it as "landing full blast".

You've just got to be very precise about the moment you cut thrust.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a little surprised at the local Spanish language cinema, which is the only one left that still has auditorium-style seating (I loathe stadium seating). They're showing Star Wars dubbed in Spanish beginning at noon. There's only one showing in English with Spanish subtitles, and only one showing in 3D dubbed in Spanish.

I may go to one of the dubbed-in-Spanish showings if there's not too much of a crowd.

La Fuerza sea con ustedes. (Need I translate?)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"La Fuerza" looks a lot less aggressive than "The Force" which I was never entirely happy about. But does it carry the same echoes in Spanish, anyway?
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

The ad blurb in Spanish uses the phrase El despertar de la fuerza . . . (The awakening of the force . . .)

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Here in the Phoenix (Arizona) area, we just broke our four-month dryspell. A thunderstorm which started around 4:00 a.m. was the first rain we've had since August.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is that usual? 4 months without rain? I don't like it after 2 weeks of no rain.

Can I ask for some local knowledge? I'm headed to Austin, Texas for a conference in early February. I will probably visit universities in Florida [near Orlando] and Atlanta in the week-and-a-half I have afterwards.

I was also thinking of visiting the Kennedy Space Centre while in Florida, and visiting Savannah and New Orleans. Does this sound reasonable? Would you recommend them, or somewhere else? I have a few offers to visit unis up north but I'd like to stay, relatively, south and enjoy some time off too. What do I like? History. Walking. Food. Water (staring at [Smile] ).

My thanks. Gracias is the limit of my Spanish. Could definitely not see and comprehend La guerra de las galaxias, unlike Amanda.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes, the Space Center is worth seeing. Find out if/when there's going to be a launch; if you can be anywhere near at that moment it's spectacular. Be warned however that there's not much else in that area of Florida. Space vehicles are always launched from in the middle of a nearly uninhabited wilderness.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

It's quite common. This is the desert. It's one of the things I love about Arizona.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Can I ask for some local knowledge? I'm headed to Austin, Texas for a conference in early February. I will probably visit universities in Florida [near Orlando] and Atlanta in the week-and-a-half I have afterwards.

I was also thinking of visiting the Kennedy Space Centre while in Florida, and visiting Savannah and New Orleans. Does this sound reasonable? Would you recommend them, or somewhere else? I have a few offers to visit unis up north but I'd like to stay, relatively, south and enjoy some time off too. What do I like? History. Walking. Food. Water (staring at [Smile] ).

My thanks. Gracias is the limit of my Spanish. Could definitely not see and comprehend La guerra de las galaxias, unlike Amanda.

If you do go to Cape Canaveral, Even better, if you have a car and can venture a few miles north to Oak Hill is Goodrich Seafood on River Road, which is very close to the style of old waterside crab Shacks. Dixie Crossroads in Titusville for local seafood is also passable.

Most of Florida south of Gainesville was settled after the introduction of railways and air conditioning with the exception of Saint Augustine, founded in 1565 by the Spanish. While there's a whiff of Disneyland about it, enough of the colonial buildings remain to justify a stop if you're heading north along I-95. More old Florida flavour is possible if you head west out of Saint Augustine along route 16, then turn north along route 13 on the east shore of the Saint John River, following a winding riverside road with lots of weeping willows until you arrive in Jacksonville, and can return to the Interstate.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
I was also thinking of visiting the Kennedy Space Centre while in Florida, and visiting Savannah and New Orleans. Does this sound reasonable? Would you recommend them, or somewhere else?

Yes, the Space Center would be a good place to go! Also, Savannah is a beautiful little city with an amazing historical district and tours of some of the old homes there!

If you like being in the outdoors, while you're in Orlando, you may want to go canoeing in one of the springs. Canoeing from Rock Springs to Wekiva is a real treat, and something I miss from when I lived in the Orlando area! And there are many more springs to visit!

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
If you like being in the outdoors, while you're in Orlando, you may want to go canoeing in one of the springs. Canoeing from Rock Springs to Wekiva is a real treat, and something I miss from when I lived in the Orlando area! And there are many more springs to visit!

Sounded wonderful. Past-tense.

quote:
Wildlife include alligators...
[Eek!]

I'm still tempted.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Looking forward to it. Never been east of Denver in the US. Sounds like lots to do.

Thanks for the geography lesson too, Pigwidgeon!

jedijudy

# 333

Honestly, gators aren't a big deal. We respect their territory and they pretty much ignore us.

Gator hints...
  • Don't feed them.
  • Don't try to pet a gator.
  • Don't pick up baby gators, no matter how cute they are. Mama is nearby.
  • And, as my mom learned the hard way, don't try to whack a gator with a broom when it's lying on your canal bank. They can jump high and fast.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Wow: brave woman, your mum!

Thanks for the tips. I guess if it is popular, the danger must be low. It does look stunning. And something I'd love to do.

We have saltwater crocodiles here which are a bit nastier. I guess I tarred all Crocodilia by my knowledge of one...

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Wow: brave woman, your mum!

We loudly used a different term for her action. [Biased]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
jedijudy--

Then *you* are wise and brave! [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016